Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Who are the (available) coaches that you Raptors fans would like to see replace Casey? Not snarky, genuinely interested who's out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Cool Buff Man posted:

Who are the (available) coaches that you Raptors fans would like to see replace Casey? Not snarky, genuinely interested who's out there

last summer vogel and joerger were both on the market

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The raptors will replace Casey with Lionel Hollins and I will die of laughter

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Please hire Byron Scott so people will stop asking him about D'Angelo

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Shear Modulus posted:

last summer vogel and joerger were both on the market

I don't know much about Joergers style but Vogel wouldn't do much to help out the Raptors offensive scheme issues, imo.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Cool Buff Man posted:

I don't know much about Joergers style but Vogel wouldn't do much to help out the Raptors offensive scheme issues, imo.

thats true. i just think that its not the case that "better" or as good of coaches havent become available during casey's tenure.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Shear Modulus posted:

thats true. i just think that its not the case that "better" or as good of coaches havent become available during casey's tenure.

Oh I'm sure that better coaches than Casey have been available, I'm more interested in what sort of coach/identity Raptors fans are eager for since the "scrappy overachieving underdog" Casey worldview is clearly wearing thin due as evidenced by nearly every fan's impatience with him

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Well, then. It sounds like the Pels improved their assistant coaching a good bit this off-season with Mitchell and Finch. Erman did some good work once he had competent defensive players this season, too. Hopefully, the team is more consistent next season, no matter how the Jrue situation turns out.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kibner posted:

Well, then. It sounds like the Pels improved their assistant coaching a good bit this off-season with Mitchell and Finch. Erman did some good work once he had competent defensive players this season, too. Hopefully, the team is more consistent next season, no matter how the Jrue situation turns out.

You're in a good spot for one year, but I'm sure both of those guys are angling for HC jobs. If Finch can help implement a league busting twin towers and Mitchell can keep everyone happy and get some development out of rookies/d leaguers, they'll be top candidates. Great problem to have

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Cool Buff Man posted:

Promote an assistant. Take a risk. See what happens. Nick Nurse is supposedly good. It could be more of the same, but the team has cleaned house on assistants before while keeping Casey around and the style has always remained pretty similar so I'd speculate that they're not having a lot of say directly on play calling and style as is.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is the point of firing Casey. They've had multiple successful seasons under him.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

attackmole posted:

Promote an assistant. Take a risk. See what happens. Nick Nurse is supposedly good. It could be more of the same, but the team has cleaned house on assistants before while keeping Casey around and the style has always remained pretty similar so I'd speculate that they're not having a lot of say directly on play calling and style as is.

On a similar risk note, if Lowry goes to the Sixers or something, what would be your ideal course of action? Trade Derozan to the Lakers for some youngsters or picks?

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

euphronius posted:

What is the point of firing Casey. They've had multiple successful seasons under him.

No style changes, no adjustments, nothing.

Just DeRozan and Lowry isoball, he should be playing JV and Powell more, etc

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I think since the Mark Jackson firing it's become clear how certain coaches can be a net negative even on very talented teams. Yes, the Raptors are not the Warriors, Kerr is a great coach, and Casey got them to where they are. But I can't shake the feeling that he's maxed out his achievements and his Caseyisms are holding the team back.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Cool Buff Man posted:

On a similar risk note, if Lowry goes to the Sixers or something, what would be your ideal course of action? Trade Derozan to the Lakers for some youngsters or picks?

My dream is fleecing Magic Johnson, yes. I think the team is super committed to him and doubt he's going anywhere though. He's got old school team loyalty. Whether management also has that to him, who knows.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

euphronius posted:

Cant beat LeBrontron

And Lowry/DeMar fall apart in the playoffs

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 30, 2017

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

attackmole posted:

Stackhouse is supposed to be good and went down to 905 specifically to get HC experience rather than stay with the big team as as an asst.

Overall, I don't think Casey is a negative coach, his style just doesn't really work for this team. I think he's at his best getting underachieving players to play at their best, but that's not really the Raptor profile anymore.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/APkrawczynski/status/869615740999041024

I like this, it's a cool mix of the current and original Wolves logo

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the iowa green sphincters

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cool Buff Man posted:

I doubt they'd go with someone already on staff but I still hope someone eventually gives Nick Nurse a shot as a head coach. He's coached all over, won a d-league title with two different teams, and seems really well regarded as an assistant

IcePhoenix posted:

RIP to one of the worst team names in professional sports history

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

IcePhoenix posted:

*G-League

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

MourningView posted:

RIP to one of the worst team names in professional sports history

Don't worry, we still have the Thunder

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

MourningView posted:

I doubt they'd go with someone already on staff but I still hope someone eventually gives Nick Nurse a shot as a head coach. He's coached all over, won a d-league title with two different teams, and seems really well regarded as an assistant

How is Stackhouse thought of outside Toronto? He's talked up as a future HC a lot here and he went down to 905 rather than staying with the big team specifically to get HC experience and won a championship there.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I'd be cool with the Raps getting an assistant from a good team, someone who is comfortable with modern NBA techniques like running plays and resting players. At this point you could send the Spurs mascot and I'd be on board.
Like I always say, Casey is a good coach for a young or fringe playoff team trying to maximize talent in the regular season. At this stage though they need to move from motivator/leader to tactician.

Also I can't not see a Wolves' butthole

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

attackmole posted:

My dream is fleecing Magic Johnson, yes. I think the team is super committed to him and doubt he's going anywhere though. He's got old school team loyalty. Whether management also has that to him, who knows.

I wish PG had old school team loyalty, but with an idiot like Bird and a cheapass owner in Simon I can't blame him. :negative:

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

pseudodragon posted:

Stackhouse is supposed to be good and went down to 905 specifically to get HC experience rather than stay with the big team as as an asst.

Overall, I don't think Casey is a negative coach, his style just doesn't really work for this team. I think he's at his best getting underachieving players to play at their best, but that's not really the Raptor profile anymore.

I haven't watched the 905 so I dunno how Stackhouse works. He took the team to a title so apparently he knows something and rumours are that he seems good. Personally, I know that playing and coaching are two different things, but I'm skeptical that one of the most prolific chuckers in league history would be the guy to clean up the Raptors shot selection and ball movement.

pubic works project posted:

I wish PG had old school team loyalty, but with an idiot like Bird and a cheapass owner in Simon I can't blame him. :negative:

I mean, giving Derozan a 140 million dollar contract probably bought some loyalty. Also, Derozan's passed Bosh/Carter for a bunch of the team records last year. For all the poo poo I give him, if he plays out the next four years of his contract with the team he'll have the title of "most important Raptor franchise player in history" on complete lockdown, and I think he's kinda into those kinds of accolades.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 30, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

attackmole posted:

I haven't watched the 905 so I dunno how Stackhouse works. He took the team to a title so apparently he knows something and rumours are that he seems good. Personally, I know that playing and coaching are two different things, but I'm skeptical that one of the most prolific chuckers in league history would be the guy to clean up the Raptors shot selection and ball movement.

He's legendarily angry and tough so he'd be perfect to force a new system

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I would like to see Stackhouse and Quinn Snyder fight.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

pseudodragon posted:

How is Stackhouse thought of outside Toronto? He's talked up as a future HC a lot here and he went down to 905 rather than staying with the big team specifically to get HC experience and won a championship there.

I liked his when he was on the Mavs forever ago but don't know if he is a future hall of famer. If his coaching career goes well maybe. Stackhouse was a real tough guy that doesn't exist in the modern NBA. He would beat the poo poo out of anyone that got too physical with him. The peak was probably beating up Kirk Snyder post game in the tunnel.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The Pistons better not trade their draft pick and Stanley Johnson for a "win now" veteran, I like Stan Van Gundy as a coach and mostly tolerate him as a GM but this would be an atrocious move

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/869613673316143104

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Man why couldn't Adam Silver have gifted the Pistons with a lottery win as a new-arena housewarming gift.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Clippers are trying to poach Jerry West.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19501765/los-angeles-clippers-interested-hiring-jerry-west-away-golden-state-warriors

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

To replace doc ? Help doc?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

euphronius posted:

Backup Austin I presume.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

euphronius posted:

Advise Doc

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

just click the dang link, man

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

They're gonna play Jerry West at the point and bring CP3 off the bench.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Chairchucker posted:

They're gonna play Jerry West at the point and bring CP3 off the bench.

CP3 will still get hurt.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yeah boooo to the best executive the team's ever had, he only fixed huge problems and made the team extremely successful.

Now that you've said this, they'll end up with Billy King or something. Thanks.

There's still no respect for the team and it's traded being one type of laughingstock for another :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Lessail posted:

There's still no respect for the team and it's traded being one type of laughingstock for another :ssh:

The only people who consider Toronto a laughingstock are Toronto fans. They've had a really good season and there's no shame in being a tier below the top. Teams like Dallas and even the Spurs have hung out there until they caught/made some luck and became Championship teams.

• Locked thread