Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Gio posted:

this. just this.

i dont get how vegas is supposed to make money; supposed to not always suck; supposed to have a fanbase.

i dont get why the nhl needed a 31st team at all.

Every single decision the NHL makes is intended to make it's current owners richer in the immediate short term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

glynnenstein posted:

Every single decision the NHL makes is intended to make it's current owners richer in the immediate short term.

Why would they consider the long term? They're all basically fossils right now and having a plan beyond 2 years carries a significant chance they'll never see the end of it.

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

Gio posted:

this. just this.

i dont get how vegas is supposed to make money; supposed to not always suck; supposed to have a fanbase.

All the other expansion teams had these same questions in theory, and started with worse teams than silver boyars probably will (?)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Gio posted:

this. just this.

well ideally the new team smell dovetails nicely with a young core emerging.

even if it doesn't go well then they can still probably exist like the coyotes do

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Someone post the slides from the Ottawa Sports Conference. Vegas will easily be better than Colorado and Canucks

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
why would anyone think that an expansion team wouldn't suck? They always suck, it's a foregone conclusion. The idea is always that the enthusiasm for a new pro sports team will result in a good enough fan base to prop them up through the first bunch of crappy years and then they'll get better as they draft and start really working on making trades and acquiring free agents.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

q: is arizona even profitable, or are they literally being held on life support so the league can save face?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

xzzy posted:

Why would they consider the long term? They're all basically fossils right now and having a plan beyond 2 years carries a significant chance they'll never see the end of it.

If you told me that Francesco Aquilini would be dead in two years and someone else would be running the Canucks I would be extremely happy, regardless of the team's performance.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Aren't the GKs just bait for the NFL trap?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Gio posted:

q: is arizona even profitable, or are they literally being held on life support so the league can save face?

we don't know but they're probably fine. they're getting new investors and they managed to announce (and back out, but still) a new arena. to top it off phoenix is the fifth largest city in the nation plus the roadrunners are probably helping their tv numbers more than having a ahl team in loving maine did.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What was different between the Colorado expansion and this one? Did teams just not get to protect as many players? How were they really good?

Like, what's the point of having an expansion team if they're going to be a shitshow for a while? It would be pretty cool to let teams protect less players and have a bigger shakeup. Or let them only protect players who have been on their roster for X years.

I just see this as being another Thrashers. Just looked them up and their best seasons were 41 and 43 wins, and the latter was their only playoff-qualifying season where they got swept. They had 2 winning seasons out of their 11. What's the point of expansion if they have no sporting chance at success?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What was different between the Colorado expansion and this one? Did teams just not get to protect as many players? How were they really good?

Like, what's the point of having an expansion team if they're going to be a shitshow for a while? It would be pretty cool to let teams protect less players and have a bigger shakeup. Or let them only protect players who have been on their roster for X years.

I just see this as being another Thrashers. Just looked them up and their best seasons were 41 and 43 wins, and the latter was their only playoff-qualifying season where they got swept. They had 2 winning seasons out of their 11. What's the point of expansion if they have no sporting chance at success?

:eng101: colorado wasn't an expansion, they moved from Quebec

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

This expansion draft easily has the best players available then there have been before. The Atlanta/Nashville/Columbus drafts you could protect 1 goaile, 5 dmen and 9 forwards or 2 goalies, 3 dmen and 7 forwards.

Imagine the garbage available if that was the case.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

DJExile posted:

:lol: Oops, that's right.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Every single expansion team in the history of the league put up with similar if not worse scenarios. Unless you think every franchise outside the O6 is pointless, picking the examples of teams that did fail and holding them up as an inevitable result is kinda silly.

Also, look at every expansion team in every other sport in North America.

I'm not very optimistic about Vegas long term, but if they fail, the expansion draft rules won't be the reason.

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

Uuh.. Ottawa has been in the finals, Sharks has been in the finals, Tampa has won the cup, Florida has been in the finals, Anaheim has won the cup, Nashville is in the finals, Minnesota and CBJ still have time to get there. Atlanta is the one huge failure of succeeding.
I think you could make a case at least that post 90´s expansions have been huge successes.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Basically the Atlanta franchise is just a cursed pile of poo poo

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Levitate posted:

Basically the Atlanta franchise is just a cursed pile of poo poo

I guess the teams just thrash around until they flame out there, eh?

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
The Kings picked up the rights to a great name for a conditional 2018 7th round pick

https://twitter.com/LAKingsPR/status/870056217212747776

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Compared to the Capitals, Senators, Scouts or San Jose Vegas will do just fine

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

you stop that!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

iospace posted:

Mods?

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

iospace posted:

And then they Jet off to new locales

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

DJExile posted:

I was gonna say "maybe he meant the Rockies?" but that doesn't work either.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Benson Cunningham posted:

I feel like there's no better opportunity to go all sabermetrics in hockey than Vegas. Without a superstar, they can try things like rolling 4 lines with equal time each, experimenting on the power play and the penalty kill, and using their leverage over other teams to collect an unreasonable sum of draft picks in lieu of certain players that couldn't be protected.

I'm really hoping Vegas tries to do something radical instead of just keeping their heads down and sucking for 5 years. Even if it fails, it would be entertaining to watch.

They're going to look at Ottawa and try to do that. Mediocre forwards, decent defence, average or maybe better than average goaltending... that's a team that's ripe for playing the trap.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If I were running Vegas I unironically would focus on young guys, plan to suck the first few years and hire Michel Therrien to coach.

Therrien is the textbook example of a coach that if you give him .350 talent he'll go .500, and if you give him .650 talent he'll go .500. For a team starting from scratch he'll do good work IMO... you just have to know in advance that you need to fire him as soon as the team is actually ready to kinda sorta contend.

e: Plus as a disinterested party, I like the NHL better when Michel Therrien is in it

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Porrima posted:

Uuh.. Ottawa has been in the finals, Sharks has been in the finals, Tampa has won the cup, Florida has been in the finals, Anaheim has won the cup, Nashville is in the finals, Minnesota and CBJ still have time to get there. Atlanta is the one huge failure of succeeding.
I think you could make a case at least that post 90´s expansions have been huge successes.
florida has made the playoffs five times in twenty four seasons, in a league where over half the teams make the playoffs. only once did they make it past the quarterfinals. they've won six playoff games since their cup run over twenty years ago. columbus has won three playoff games in seventeen seasons. and of course atlanta was hot garbage. looking past expansion to non-traditional markets in general, the yotes have only made the playoffs seven times in twenty seasons, making it past the quarterfinals once.

i mean we obviously got a lot of cool and good franchises through expansion, but loving vegas? there is plenty of reason to assume vegas will be another columbus, atlanta, florida, or yotes

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Vegas is gonna be bad because the guy running the show is the guy who loving thought trading Forsberg away for Martin Erat was a wise move.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Gio posted:

Arizona exists largely to generate plans for new arenas that will get protested in townhall meetings by elderly people in American Revolution cosplay

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Gio posted:

florida has made the playoffs five times in twenty four seasons, in a league where over half the teams make the playoffs. only once did they make it past the quarterfinals. they've won six playoff games since their cup run over twenty years ago. columbus has won three playoff games in seventeen seasons. and of course atlanta was hot garbage. looking past expansion to non-traditional markets in general, the yotes have only made the playoffs seven times in twenty seasons, making it past the quarterfinals once.

i mean we obviously got a lot of cool and good franchises through expansion, but loving vegas? there is plenty of reason to assume vegas will be another columbus, atlanta, florida, or yotes
The Coyotes weren't an expansion team, they got a fairly functional Jets team and made the playoffs 5 times in their first 6 years upon moving to Phoenix.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Xtanstic posted:

Vegas is gonna be bad because the guy running the show is the guy who loving thought trading Forsberg away for Martin Erat was a wise move.
He was really good.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

So... too early to welcome the end of the season?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Gio posted:

this. just this.

The team is going to suck for a while, but until the NFL showed up it was going to be pretty safe.

Vegas is hoping that people from places like Montreal, Toronto, New York and Boston are going to go "hey, I want to go on a trip to watch my team play, why don't I double up and go on a trip to Vegas".
Vegas is also a large enough city for hockey and, if (it's a big if), they can average well over 10k every night they'll be fine.

The whole idea of the expansion was that Seattle, Portland, Kansas or Milwaukee would've put up a realistic option and made it 32.
Quebec City is literally the only slam-dunk ready to go now market the NHL has access to and Bettman has made it clear he doesn't view it as an option, so we're in a holding pattern until Seattle can sort it's poo poo out (lol, never gonna happen).

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Yes.

Schlesische posted:

The team is going to suck for a while, but until the NFL showed up it was going to be pretty safe.

Vegas is hoping that people from places like Montreal, Toronto, New York and Boston are going to go "hey, I want to go on a trip to watch my team play, why don't I double up and go on a trip to Vegas".
Vegas is also a large enough city for hockey and, if (it's a big if), they can average well over 10k every night they'll be fine.

The whole idea of the expansion was that Seattle, Portland, Kansas or Milwaukee would've put up a realistic option and made it 32.
Quebec City is literally the only slam-dunk ready to go now market the NHL has access to and Bettman has made it clear he doesn't view it as an option, so we're in a holding pattern until Seattle can sort it's poo poo out (lol, never gonna happen).

I swear a few weeks ago Bill Daly officially said that the NHL was done waiting around for Seattle to get its poo poo together

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Schlesische posted:

Milwaukee had an NHL class arena ready to go.

The NHL either never bit, or they wanted to and Chicago said no.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

As a Canucks fan.

Yes.

Very much so.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Whoops not GDT

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

yellowcar posted:

Habs ownership bad.

at least Molson stepped in and forced Bergevin to sign Subban, not that it changed much in the end.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Milwaukee had an NHL class arena ready to go.

The NHL either never bit, or they wanted to and Chicago said no.

Guarantee Chicago shot the idea down before it could go anywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Schlesische posted:

arizona does this and the problem is that nobody wants to see the california teams or the bad teams back east, and now you can throw in vegas/arizona as teams that the other side is going to have a hard time filling the arena half full

• Locked thread