Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

adamantium|wang posted:

So the fluff section in the Death Guard list talks about a core of Plague Marines and Terminators trudging forwards through a horde of flies.

Terminators are not in the list of things that can have the Death Guard keyword.

Yeah it's dumb as poo poo, but they'll be in the full Death Guard codex when that's released--they've already shown off one of the new terminator models that isn't in the starter box

Hoping they also make havocs available at that time too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

C-c-c-ross post!

OATH COMPLETE!

Claiming Flying Start for for the heraldry featuring the dragon with a cog halo, and MONSTER MAY-HEM because it's a GIANT rear end ROBOT. Hopefully my terrain oaths help it qualify for There goes the neighbourhood!!

Feeling real good about giant robots.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

goose willis posted:

My mother generally paints like old classic stuff but I gave her one of my unused Dark Vengeance marines to paint and so far I think it's a fairly decent job but she isn't done yet

Keep in mind she's never seen a space marine in her life and has no idea what the hell it is and keeps calling them "robots"

Ask her what her recipe is for red for me, tia.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

moths posted:

C-c-c-ross post!

OATH COMPLETE!

Claiming Flying Start for for the heraldry featuring the dragon with a cog halo, and MONSTER MAY-HEM because it's a GIANT rear end ROBOT. Hopefully my terrain oaths help it qualify for There goes the neighbourhood!!

Feeling real good about giant robots.

Nice! I like the red on this

susan
Jan 14, 2013
I am personally offended that Crimson Fists and Flesh Tearers made the Imperial 1 book, but Carcharodons did not. #8theditionworstedition

...Seriously though, when is Forgeworld dropping their 8th ed rules for my boys?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah it's dumb as poo poo, but they'll be in the full Death Guard codex when that's released--they've already shown off one of the new terminator models that isn't in the starter box

Hoping they also make havocs available at that time too

Assuming that keywords work as they do in AoS, you can have them grab generic Chaos Termies or Havocs and declare the army as having Heretic Astartes as their faction rather than Death Guard.

Probably won't get the Death Guard specific bonuses, but I'm guessing the Death Guard codex will have "You can take these units and give them <Death Guard> list or the like when it releases.

susan posted:

I am personally offended that Crimson Fists and Flesh Tearers made the Imperial 1 book, but Carcharodons did not. #8theditionworstedition

...Seriously though, when is Forgeworld dropping their 8th ed rules for my boys?

Forge World's timing the release of their Imperial and Chaos books for the edition release, then all the Xenos stuff will be out steadily until the end of the month.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SteelMentor posted:

Assuming that keywords work as they do in AoS, you can have them grab generic Chaos Termies or Havocs and declare the army as having Heretic Astartes as their faction rather than Death Guard.

Probably won't get the Death Guard specific bonuses, but I'm guessing the Death Guard codex will have "You can take these units and give them <Death Guard> list or the like when it releases.

Maybe, but I'd bet on Death Guard terminators getting renamed to "Gravepox Wardenblighters" or some poo poo and introduced as a new unit

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

SteelMentor posted:

Right now, you can take Death Guard units and then take regular chaos terminators and give them the mark of nurgle and a different legion keyword in the same detachment. They won't get to benefit from your Death Guard special rules but they can still be in the same army.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

SteelMentor posted:

Forge World's timing the release of their Imperial and Chaos books for the edition release, then all the Xenos stuff will be out steadily until the end of the month.

Has FW said if they're releasing their rules as books or for free online?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

my kinda ape posted:

Has FW said if they're releasing their rules as books or for free online?

books

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
First list! I'd love some feedback and thoughts. 1000 points, with a goal of getting a Battalion for six command points.

pre:
'ERE WE GO!
Detachment: Battalion
Command Points: 6

HQ1: Warboss on Warbike		111
Warboss on Warbike		86
Power Klaw			25
Stikkbombs			0
2 Dakkaguns			0
Attack Squig			0
Shoota				0

HQ2: Big Mek on Warbike		110
Big Mek on Warbike		81
Kustom Force Field		20
Big Choppa			9
Stikkbombs			0
2 Dakkaguns			0

T1: 20 Slugga Boyz		129
20 Boyz				120
20 Sluggas and Choppas		0
1 Nob				0
Big Choppa			9

T2: 20 Slugga Boyz		129
20 Boyz				120
20 Sluggas and Choppas		0
1 Nob				0
Big Choppa			9

T3: 22 Shoota Boyz		159
22 Boyz				132	
22 Shootas			0
3 Big Shootas			18
Nob				0
Big Choppa			9
Shoota				0

HS1: Battlewagon		181
Battlewagon			161
Deff Rolla			20
'Ard Case			0

HS2: Battlewagon		181
Battlewagon			161
Deff Rolla			20
'Ard Case			0
The premise is fairly simple; move up and punch the other guy in the face with the wagons and slugga boyz. The Big Mek is mostly there to provide area cover and ensure he has enough maneuverability to do fun things. I also contemplated getting a Painboy as they're better combatants. Ideally I would have enough points to upgrade the big choppas to power klaws, but it's a tough call. Thoughts?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Looks Pretty solid.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

A Wraithknight with his basic guns is a little over 500 points and I think I'm okay with that?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

S.J. posted:

A Wraithknight with his basic guns is a little over 500 points and I think I'm okay with that?

I am so happy to see them nerfed into oblivion. There is at least one local player who routinely fielded 5 of them.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

S.J. posted:

600 with cannon and sword :getin:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

TKIY posted:

I am so happy to see them nerfed into oblivion. There is at least one local player who routinely fielded 5 of them.

I don't think this is an oblivion nerfing. I think it's probably fine, especially since you can give them FnP with a psychic power and/or a 5+ invul. I like the idea of them better as an army centerpiece anyways.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I'm really looking forward to using the Swarmlord to slingshot huge units of Genestealers all over the board.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Oh my god I actually want to use these loving Aspect Warriors

Also the Warlock powers each count as separate so you could cast both Conceal and Reveal every turn gently caress yes

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
This is the 2000 list I'm tinkering with:

Battalion detachment

HQ:
Captain (Relic blade, master crafted boltgun) 98 pts
Librarian in terminator armor (Storm bolter, force stave) 161 pts

Troops:
Tactical squad with plasmagun and plasma cannon, 164 pts
Tactical squad with plasmagun and missile launcher, 168 pts
Infantry squad with grenade launcher and autocannon, 60pts

Fast attack:
5 assault marines with 2 flamers and a power axe, 83pts
Razorback (TL assault cannon) 100 pts

Elites:
5 sternguard, 95 pts
Razorback(Lascannon, TL plasmagun) 110 pts
Contemptor dreadnought (DCCW, combi-bolter, Multimelta) 167pts
5 cataphractii terminators. sgt with combi-bolter and power sword, 1 with heavy flamer and power fist, 1 with combi-bolter and power fist, 2 with double lightning claws, 241pts
5 vanguards with jump packs. Sgt with thunder hammer + storm shield, 2 with double lightning claws, 1 with a bolt pistol and power sword, 1 with a bolt pistol and chainsword, 145pts

Heavy support:
Predator annihilator, 202 pts
Leman russ (Battle cannon, 3 HBs) 178pts
Heavy Weapons Squad with 3 mortars, 27pts

Depending on the situation, the captain can either go with the assault marines in their razorback, or try to keep with the shooty stuff (such as letting that plasma cannon squad reroll 1s) and defending them. My librarian is going to be abusing the poo poo out of might of heroes on my contemptor dread or my captain.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I'm putting together a Leman Russ Battle Tank - what hull weapon should I give it and should I bother with sponsons/what kind?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Endman posted:

I'm putting together a Leman Russ Battle Tank - what hull weapon should I give it and should I bother with sponsons/what kind?

We don't really know for sure yet :shrug:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Endman posted:

It's really going to depend on how you use it, I think. After a few games figure out if you want it as a bunker or rolling around. If it moves it fires its secondary weapons at BS 5+ so you probably don't want a lascannon or multimelta. Heavy bolters at ap-1 are going to be solid though regardless. And it can overwatch its heavy flamers now so that's a thing.

comrade corcus
Apr 23, 2013

Pendent posted:

We don't get meltas in our assault squads probably until the actual codex hits. Maybe not even then. Chapter tactics are likewise missing for now.

From what it looks like, you add the Inferno pistol to the list of optional wargear if the unit has the Blood Angels keyword. According to this http://imgur.com/a/CCdXt you can take inferno pistols in Assault Squads on the Sergeant sucks to lose the actual meltagun option though probably due to pinpoint deepstrike. How do you feel about Blood Talons vs Furioso Fists now? Feel like blood talons got a little on the short end of the stick

comrade corcus fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 1, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

goose willis posted:

My mother generally paints like old classic stuff but I gave her one of my unused Dark Vengeance marines to paint and so far I think it's a fairly decent job but she isn't done yet

Keep in mind she's never seen a space marine in her life and has no idea what the hell it is and keeps calling them "robots"

This is cool

TKIY posted:

I'm really looking forward to using the Swarmlord to slingshot huge units of Genestealers all over the board.

I'm not positive, but can you use the swarmlord power to move, advance, then move, advance yet again? Or alternatively, move, move, charge? That's nuts.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 1, 2017

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

chutche2 posted:

It's really going to depend on how you use it, I think. After a few games figure out if you want it as a bunker or rolling around. If it moves it fires its secondary weapons at BS 5+ so you probably don't want a lascannon or multimelta. Heavy bolters at ap-1 are going to be solid though regardless. And it can overwatch its heavy flamers now so that's a thing.

I was thinking Heavy Bolter sponsons, but a hull mounted Flamer might be a thing...

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Endman posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of neodymium magnets.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm not positive, but can you use the swarmlord power to move, advance, then move, advance yet again? Or alternatively, move, move, charge? That's nuts.

Yup. They can move and advance, move and advance with the Swarmlord power in the shooting phase, then charge.

Endman
May 18, 2010

adamantium|wang posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of neodymium magnets.

That sounds both smart but also like a lot of work

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Endman posted:

It's not too bad. All it requires is a pin vice and a drill bit big enough for what you need. Practice on some spare bitz or a sprue chunk to figure out how far in you need to drill and then it's pretty easy to do. I magnetized all my special weapon arms in like 10 minutes once I got in the swing of things.

I recommend getting some green stuff to fill in stuff in case you drill too far down though

Fake James fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 1, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So... the prism cannon lance version has a Strength of 12 huh?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Endman posted:

Once you get a drill bit and matched up magnet it's very easy.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Boon posted:

So... the prism cannon lance version has a Strength of 12 huh?

Yup. Just like a lot of tyranids (and I guess Monsters in general?) can get 12/14 Strength pretty easily.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

LordAba posted:

Yup. Just like a lot of tyranids (and I guess Monsters in general?) can get 12/14 Strength pretty easily.

Dreads too, yeah. DCCWs puts dreadnoughts at S14.

So I notice that the baneblade actually got cheaper this edition. Its sponsons are a lot more expensive (going from 50 in 7th to as much as 100 now), but that's nice to see overall. I always wanted one of those but always thought they were overpriced. Sadly its damage output is pretty crippled by it being based on BS4+ blast weaponry.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I wonder if the aura effects work on the unit generating the aura. For example does a Painboy ignore wounds on a 6+?

Physician, heal thyself.

There's a box on the side of one of the core rules pages that says units benefit from their own aura buffs so yes one does.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
The volcano cannon on the Shadowsword is S16 now!

Am I missing a rule or can battleforged armies bring detachments from different armies so long as the detachments are made up of units from the same faction? IE a Necron detachment and a Chaos Daemon detachment in the same army?

Also is there anything stopping you from taking so many auxiliary support detachments that you have zero or negative command points? Other than that you won't have any command points to use obviously.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

comrade corcus posted:

From what it looks like, you add the Inferno pistol to the list of optional wargear if the unit has the Blood Angels keyword. According to this http://imgur.com/a/CCdXt you can take inferno pistols in Assault Squads on the Sergeant sucks to lose the actual meltagun option though probably due to pinpoint deepstrike. How do you feel about Blood Talons vs Furioso Fists now? Feel like blood talons got a little on the short end of the stick

You're completely out of range after a deepstrike with the pistol though- the range is still 6. It can probably be made to work but meltacide is essentially dead for the moment. Not that I will particularly miss it, mind you. I'm not a huge fan of suicide units in general.

I didn't pay too much attention to the Furioso weapons to be entirely honest. The one I have is modeled with a frag cannon and power fist and I probably won't be buying a new one any time soon.

I'm working on finishing up my sanguinary guard and a few squads of tactical terminators at the moment. The list I'm thinking about is going to basically be me deepstriking both the terminators and SG along with some buffing characters directly into my opponents face on my first turn while I hold the backfield with a Razorbacks and Predators. Possibly my Sicaran if I can get my hands on the rules.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

my kinda ape posted:

The volcano cannon on the Shadowsword is S16 now!

Am I missing a rule or can battleforged armies bring detachments from different armies so long as the detachments are made up of units from the same faction? IE a Necron detachment and a Chaos Daemon detachment in the same army?

Also is there anything stopping you from taking so many auxiliary support detachments that you have zero or negative command points? Other than that you won't have any command points to use obviously.

Every unit in a battleforged army has to share a faction keyword.

And, I don't think it says you can't have negative command points.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

chutche2 posted:

Every unit in a battleforged army has to share a faction keyword.

And, I don't think it says you can't have negative command points.

Thanks, I finally found it. Says it on p.214 in the matched play rules which is a ways before the battleforged rules.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It says you can spend a CP if you don't have any, that's close enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It says you can spend a CP if you don't have any, that's close enough for me.

Yeah but what I mean is it doesn't say you can't start with negative CP

• Locked thread