Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Here's my question: What is it that allows steam pipes to develop (apparently) pin hole leaks that will create an invisible pressure cutting blade? I've heard this before about how hosed up those can be. How do you end up with high pressure gas blasting through a small gap like that without the whole thing just grenading? To my uneducated mind that's the sort of situation that should probably be a very small, very violent leak for about a millisecond after which it erodes the break, things start fracturing quickly, until it becomes two very large pipe-shaped leaks on either end of a rapidly expanding cloud of used-to-be-pipe shrapnel.

Steam + C02 = Carbonic Acid, in addition to high temp high pressure water vapor just wrecking poo poo in general.

Most steam systems still use standard NPT pipe threads and good 'ol black iron pipe,

so you get leaks in the threads. The thickness of the fittings and pipe ensure nothing "grenades", but steam will still work its way down the spiral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The solution to electronic aircraft launching is obvious!

Treadmills! :downs:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

brains posted:

that's never stopped navy planes from launching gondolas.

Not sure whether I'm annoyed that it was a Marine plane or if I appreciate that this is an acknowledgement that "blue money" from the Navy purchases all Marine planes...

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

feedmegin posted:

Not operations, but the expense of fitting them despite the design in theory allowing for it, but that would have been EMALS sooo. Steam catapults are literally a Royal Navy invention along with angled flight decks.

Once you stop doing something operationally, you forget how really, really quickly. The last catapult equipped British carrier was before the Falkland War.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 1, 2017

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The solution to electronic aircraft launching is obvious!

Treadmills! :downs:

MODS!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I would like to see a trebuchet aircraft launcher where the fighter is loaded up inverted before launch.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Smiling Jack posted:

Once you stop doing something operationally, you forget how really, really quickly. The last catapult equipped British carrier was before the Falkland War.

From what I understand, the Royal Navy has had crewmen aboard American and/or French carriers for a long time to avoid this very problem.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

MrYenko posted:

Also, gently caress live steam, and triple-gently caress live steam at sea. That is the stuff of nightmares.

I remember reading about a live steam leak in a Canadian warship during the Second World War that took place in harbour. It resulted in a couple of dozen sailors being boiled alive in their hammocks while they slept.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

So do both sides have cockpits? Does the captain sit in the lefthand fuselage and the co-pilot sit in the righthand fuselage? Or is one side just for Paul Allen to sit in and make airplane noises?

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Is the wheelbase narrow enough for a normal runway? Looks like it barely fits on the taxiway....

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Craptacular posted:

So do both sides have cockpits? Does the captain sit in the lefthand fuselage and the co-pilot sit in the righthand fuselage? Or is one side just for Paul Allen to sit in and make airplane noises?

Dunno on this one, but on the White Knight 2, the right side has controls, and the left side just has painted on windows.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hauldren Collider posted:

Is the wheelbase narrow enough for a normal runway? Looks like it barely fits on the taxiway....

They pulled it out of the hanger and someone said 'well poo poo, we should have measured twice after all' then contracted the nearest runway paving company.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Hauldren Collider posted:

I'm pretty sure it's not going to fly anywhere else, just go up, launch a rocket and then come back down to Mojave. But using the Google Maps measuring tool, it looks like that taxiway is about 140 feet wide. I measured a couple runways at different large airports and their runways usually around 190-200 feet wide (edge line to edge line), just like Mojave. So there doesn't seem to be any reason why it couldn't fly somewhere else if they wanted to.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
http://www.defensenews.com/articles/direct-collision-for-us-homeland-missile-defense-interceptor-test-against-icbm-target

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Cyrano4747 posted:

Not quite cold war but kinda airpower and gently caress it I run Barter Town:

Vulcan Aerospace just unveiled their new mega-plane for launching space rockets from. It's loving ginormous. LIke, loving insane. Howard Hughes level :wtc:

Actually, more than that, because it's got a wingspan 65 feet longer than the Spruce Goose

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhGRzKcAu10

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Craptacular posted:

I'm pretty sure it's not going to fly anywhere else, just go up, launch a rocket and then come back down to Mojave. But using the Google Maps measuring tool, it looks like that taxiway is about 140 feet wide. I measured a couple runways at different large airports and their runways usually around 190-200 feet wide (edge line to edge line), just like Mojave. So there doesn't seem to be any reason why it couldn't fly somewhere else if they wanted to.

MHV's main runway is 12503x200', so if the wheelbase is 140' wide they should have 30' of room on either side of the wheels. Those engines might be over the edges though...

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gnoman posted:

From what I understand, the Royal Navy has had crewmen aboard American and/or French carriers for a long time to avoid this very problem.

Also, 'the RN has lost the institutional knowledge to operate catapults', even if it were true, and 'the carriers were built without cats because the RN don't know how to operate them any more' are different statements. They were built without catapults purely for budget reasons. I'm sure the RN would rather have had them fitted even if it took a while to get used to operating them.

(and, pedantic I know, but there's more than one Falkland Island. It's the Falklands War)

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Cyrano4747 posted:

Not quite cold war but kinda airpower and gently caress it I run Barter Town:

Vulcan Aerospace just unveiled their new mega-plane for launching space rockets from. It's loving ginormous. LIke, loving insane. Howard Hughes level :wtc:

Actually, more than that, because it's got a wingspan 65 feet longer than the Spruce Goose

:stare:

Does it bug anyone else that they didn't extend the elevators P-38 style so they were a single unit?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Blistex posted:

Does it bug anyone else that they didn't extend the elevators P-38 style so they were a single unit?

YES

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Blistex posted:

Jesus Christ yes

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Can you imagine the twisting loads that get transmitted through that center wing box? Holy gently caress.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

MrYenko posted:

Can you imagine the twisting loads that get transmitted through that center wing box? Holy gently caress.

And they hang a rocket from it!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Is it just me or does it look like complete poo poo for a public reveal?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It's probably not a "reveal" in the PR sense, rather, they're probably moving it somewhere else, and there's no way to keep people from taking pictures.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Fair enough. The wings look like they've been pieced together out of scrap. :v:

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Blistex posted:

Limitations of Kerbal Engine.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Canada's replacement frigates will cost 2.4 times original estimate according to PBO

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Blistex posted:

Yes, hugely. I can imagine those booms flapping about like nobody's business.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Colour me surprised!! Only 2.4x???

We can get up to 2% GDP spending for NATO in no time with this fuckery.

Oh god:

quote:

The PBO also estimated the cost due to inflation for delaying the awarding of the contract after 2018. “We estimate that for each year of delay, the program would cost about $3 billion more,” Fréchette noted in the study.

:negative: we are so hosed

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Blistex posted:

My mental comparison was more F-82, but yes.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Re: Invisible Steam leaks rushing out with sufficent pressure to cut stuff in half.

Such a leak couldn't possibly be quiet though could It?

I mean if the pressure was high enough to potentially start buzzsawing through stuff surely the leak would be noisy as hell.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Deptfordx posted:

Re: Invisible Steam leaks rushing out with sufficent pressure to cut stuff in half.

I mean if the pressure was high enough to potentially start buzzsawing through stuff surely the leak would be noisy as hell.

I think concern for leaks like that are usually in loud places or tunnels where you can't easily locate a sound. My familiarity with the threat is from talking to guys in the DC steam tunnels for GSA who told me they wave 2x4s as they walk through.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Deptfordx posted:

No, but the noise doesn't help you locate it necessarily.

quote:

It's common belief among utility operators that a good way to check for high-pressure steam leaks is by waving a broomstick in front of you: when the stick suddenly gets chopped in half, you've found your leak. However, Una contacted operations personnel at several power plants across the United States, and while almost all had heard of this alleged practice, most thought it would be an unusual way to find a leak these days. A leak in a steam line with enough pressure to cut a broom in half would likely warrant shutting down the unit. Given the danger of a fatal mistake, it's hard to imagine a plant boss sending workers out on a search mission armed only with a trusty broom. Una further points out that a steam leak, invisible or not, usually isn't tough to locate--imagine a locomotive horn a few inches from your ear. Operators in an enclosed control room can hear steam leaks from several floors away.

Some industry sources speculate that using a broom to search for leaks may have started aboard ships with steam boilers, where tight quarters and noisy conditions may have made it difficult to find leaks quickly without some direct evidence. It may even have been recommended as a way to survive a steam leak, using the broom to check that the route to safety was clear. Then again, most shipboard steam isn't at high enough pressure to slice through wood (although it could cut the bristles). Personally I'm guessing the broomstick thing is part of the informal neophyte training process familiar to anyone who's worked in industry: "Did they tell you about high-pressure steam leaks? Cut you right in half. Better wave this broom."
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2665/can-high-pressure-steam-cut-a-body-in-half

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

IIRC in one of Michael Collins' books, there's a bit about using brooms to test for hydrogen leaks in rockets. Supposedly the leaks would ignite into a flame that couldn't be seen with the unaided eye, so thermal cameras were installed to catch them. Technicians with brooms were employed to check in the cameras' blind spots.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ulmont posted:

No, but the noise doesn't help you locate it necessarily

Yeah, I had to help track down a small packing leak coming off a twelve inch line with some moderately low pressure steam coming through it. You could hear that thing 80+ ft. away over heavy industrial noise and earplugs. Not terribly indistinguishable on its own, but it raised the ambient noise enough you could tell something was wrong.

Once you got within 5 ft though that thing was screaming and hot as hell though. Impossible to miss even if you couldn't see it wrapped under all the insulation.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

has anyone started calling it the carbon condor yet

That already exists. (though it "only" has a 200 ft wingspan)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sperglord Actual posted:

IIRC in one of Michael Collins' books, there's a bit about using brooms to test for hydrogen leaks in rockets. Supposedly the leaks would ignite into a flame that couldn't be seen with the unaided eye, so thermal cameras were installed to catch them. Technicians with brooms were employed to check in the cameras' blind spots.

Yeah, they used it for finding hydrogen fires, which will burn without a visible frame. Semi-legit citation: https://spinoff.nasa.gov/spinoff1997/ps1.html

quote:

The technology was developed by John C. Stennis Space Center to visually assess the presence, location, and extent of hydrogen fires. The need for such equipment was generated by the center's use of more than one million gallons of liquid hydrogen per month in its rocket engine test programs. Indeed, hydrogen fires are a significant risk.

Previously, firefighters responding to a hydrogen fire had to give the suspect area "the broom test" by carefully probing the suspect area with a corn straw broom to determine the presence and location of a fire. This technique has significant safety and accuracy shortfalls, particularly in windy outdoor conditions where flames can easily change direction

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

In hydrogen airships, the method for hydrogen leak detection was talking or singing constantly, as the hydrogen changes the pitch in your voice

they didn't really have to worry about "fires invisible to the naked eye"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nebakenezzer posted:

In hydrogen airships, the method for hydrogen leak detection was talking or singing constantly, as the hydrogen changes the pitch in your voice

they didn't really have to worry about "fires invisible to the naked eye"

Time to repost this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXpYFtI0nqU&t=1029s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

And that ranks as the second dumbest thing they did!