Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Tayter Swift posted:

I made a wonderful two-voice generative patch last night and while I recorded it I now just want to encase my modular in amber and never touch it again :(

Smartphone pics?

I know a guy who painstakingly drew out a B+W map of his rig, made a PDF version, and prints out copies to draw patches on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Smartphone pics?

I know a guy who painstakingly drew out a B+W map of his rig, made a PDF version, and prints out copies to draw patches on.

lol that sounds horrible but not quite as bad as paying for a 200e

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just posted a Volca Kick over on reverb and in SA-Mart, help me fund my way to integrating my iPad into the loop.

https://reverb.com/item/5439263-korg-volca-kick-2017-black

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

sliderule posted:

Death is certain. Destroy the patch and reflect upon the transience of life.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Smartphone pics?

It's gotta be about thirty cables at this point. Disting acting as a Turing machine is sent to a bass patch, and is voltage is added to a sequencer which is then fed to a quantizer for a higher sequence. The bass only fires once every couple of bars, and it makes the melody change every note. I'll have to post it some time.

But I have to unpatch it tonight and make room for the Arpitecht that's coming tomorrow :twisted:

By the way I picked up a Tascam 414 four-track last week and made a thing

https://youtu.be/_ZfqBsX973w

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

dj bobby bieber posted:

Death is certain. Recreate the patch and reflect upon the transients of life.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tayter Swift posted:

It's gotta be about thirty cables at this point. Disting acting as a Turing machine is sent to a bass patch, and is voltage is added to a sequencer which is then fed to a quantizer for a higher sequence. The bass only fires once every couple of bars, and it makes the melody change every note. I'll have to post it some time.

This makes me feel smug about including Monome Teletype in my rack, which can do all this in 18hp. (Plus you can save the configuration) I think one of the default patches is very very close to what you're describing (Jazz Mood Ring?)

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

sliderule posted:

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

Radio du Cambodge posted:

This seems like the best thread for this. I built some little analog music visualizers/oscilloscopes out of old cathode ray tube camp TVs and hooked up a yocto analog tr-808 clone through a red panda Particle pedal (this crazy granular delay doodad, really fun).

Not sure what to do with it other than some short improvised performances, maybe get some bigger TVs or find a way to project the results onto a larger screen. But for the moment I'm just having fun finding sweet spots, going off both the audio and visual feedback.

Running vocals through this thing is trippy too, sounds like Amnesia Scanner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iGSxqW-Lcs

Starts to get more interesting around 30 seconds.

EDIT: I forgot other lower-quality videos of it i took on my cell phone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHWkR6YM5VQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAgMS37UWWI

Cool! Video synthesis and vector stuff is super interesting. I did a post here when i began dabbling in it some time back. Got a 3trinsRGB+1c and some effect/glitch boxes. Currently dabbling with video and mixer feedback mainly, as I currently can't send video from my pc to my 3trins/mixers (cheap aliexpress hdmi to composite converter cooked itself)...

here's some stuff i recorded with a cheap capture thing while playing around with the 3trins and a simple comparator patch a while back (audio from the 3trins with some reverb):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQRsGEn8HAE

also, perhaps not as relevant to this thread, but here's some mixer feedback stuff from when i was playing around with my v4 last night, recorded with a black magic intensity shuttle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGLluyKazN4

The optimal capture solution however, seems to be to film a crt with a dslr or some other hd camera. It captures the actual look and feel much better than what you get with capture cards imho.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Cool! Video synthesis and vector stuff is super interesting. I did a post here when i began dabbling in it some time back. Got a 3trinsRGB+1c and some effect/glitch boxes. Currently dabbling with video and mixer feedback mainly, as I currently can't send video from my pc to my 3trins/mixers (cheap aliexpress hdmi to composite converter cooked itself)...

here's some stuff i recorded with a cheap capture thing while playing around with the 3trins and a simple comparator patch a while back (audio from the 3trins with some reverb):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQRsGEn8HAE

also, perhaps not as relevant to this thread, but here's some mixer feedback stuff from when i was playing around with my v4 last night, recorded with a black magic intensity shuttle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGLluyKazN4

The optimal capture solution however, seems to be to film a crt with a dslr or some other hd camera. It captures the actual look and feel much better than what you get with capture cards imho.

yeah its nice i can just plug my modular into my elgato into my tablet and just play video wherever but holy poo poo tubes are more important for video than for guitar

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
I bought a Tempest, it comes tomorrow, I am excited, but I heard it is poo poo (hail satan)

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

dj bobby bieber posted:

I bought a Tempest, it comes tomorrow, I am excited, but I heard it is poo poo (hail satan)

Yeah I hear a lot of trash talked about Curtis filters + DCO oscillators. I sold my Mopho after some time as a result but now my primary oscillator is an Intellijel Shapeshifter with a Morpheus filter and Clouds so gently caress analog, I guess.

(Actually, some of the best midrange 'grunt' in my system comes from VCA and Scan & Pan overdrive)

The Tempest has always seemed to be my ideal finger pushy box, but I feel like I would get one, tire of the sound engine, then realize that I should have got an Elektron of some variety.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
It's a nice compact way to get an octomopho, just ignore the sequencer. It is what it is.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I can't decide whether I want a Rytm or a Digitakt. Drum machines and samplers have never been my forte, but I feel like my setup needs something like one of them. When it comes to units like these, though, I don't know enough to know what will fit best in my setup and/or click with me.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

MockingQuantum posted:

I can't decide whether I want a Rytm or a Digitakt. Drum machines and samplers have never been my forte, but I feel like my setup needs something like one of them. When it comes to units like these, though, I don't know enough to know what will fit best in my setup and/or click with me.

Get a used Octatrack and go from there. Worst case scenario you resell it for what you paid.

I think a used OT is a better deal than a new Digitakt. It's just a more capable device, albeit less user friendly.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

sliderule posted:

The Tempest has always seemed to be my ideal finger pushy box, but I feel like I would get one, tire of the sound engine, then realize that I should have got an Elektron of some variety.

So, I talked to two people who had the Tempest, sold it to get an Elektron, but wanted to come back to the Tempest (or have both). That factored in, mostly because I think I'm going to be using it a lot live. The synth capabilities are really nice to have. We'll see!

kuf
May 12, 2007
aaaaaa

MockingQuantum posted:

I'd go with a rytm. Sometimes it's nice to be free from having to choose a sample.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

kuf posted:

Sometimes it's nice to be free from having to choose a sample.

This is why I have a rytm sat right next to me... arrived today!

This is a well produced workflow demo of the digikat - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MefPEo_9kiI
but all it tells me is if i got one i'd never use it. too much prep, if I was ok with that level of work before starting making music i'd be using my laptop.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Yea it not having even one machine from the MD is just bizarre.
Dunno how much DSP they got left in the thing but I would not be surprised if some synthesis from the MD shows up as a paid upgrade.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

^^^ If they do it, they've been pretty good about making that kind of thing free, the new Rytm machines were just a firmware update. They do sell a bunch of dumb extras but they're all pretty much presets and sample packs.

0-Coast folks, how are you using yours mostly? I'm kind of out of the honey moon period and grating a bit on a few things.

Particularly, getting it to fit in to "classic" sounding electronic stuff (80s-90s, not 60s-70s, I guess). I love it as an experimental, noisy, dissonant lead or atmosphere thing, but when I'm not making that music it feels like its a struggle to make it fit. I'm not sure if it's me, the instrument, or both.

It feels like either I'm doing a very simple triangle or square pad/arpeggio (albeit with great envelopes!), a dark and brooding atmosphere (that doesn't layer that well) or I've got something that is harmonically complex and doesn't really gel with other things. Sometimes that's awesome, but not where I'm at now.

As a like synthesis tool it's amazing but I'm having the hardest time incorporating it into things I make unless I start there and build around it. ...which okay fair is most things but much more so these guys than like a Roland.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

JamesKPolk posted:

^^^ If they do it, they've been pretty good about making that kind of thing free, the new Rytm machines were just a firmware update. They do sell a bunch of dumb extras but they're all pretty much presets and sample packs.

Eh, they're paywalling Overbridge features on the thing as it is. It wouldn't be out of line in the industry, it's not really any different than Waldorf sample license or the H9 pedal algos. Especially now, with overbridge, they've got a software component that could easily facilitate the purchase/enabling of features in the hardware.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Startyde posted:

Eh, they're paywalling Overbridge features on the thing as it is. It wouldn't be out of line in the industry, it's not really any different than Waldorf sample license or the H9 pedal algos. Especially now, with overbridge, they've got a software component that could easily facilitate the purchase/enabling of features in the hardware.

Oh, yeah, in that case I could definitely see it being a move to that kind of model.

That's a shame, even if other people do that kind of thing it was nice that they didn't.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

JamesKPolk posted:

0-Coast folks, how are you using yours mostly? I'm kind of out of the honey moon period and grating a bit on a few things.

Particularly, getting it to fit in to "classic" sounding electronic stuff (80s-90s, not 60s-70s, I guess). I love it as an experimental, noisy, dissonant lead or atmosphere thing, but when I'm not making that music it feels like its a struggle to make it fit. I'm not sure if it's me, the instrument, or both.

It feels like either I'm doing a very simple triangle or square pad/arpeggio (albeit with great envelopes!), a dark and brooding atmosphere (that doesn't layer that well) or I've got something that is harmonically complex and doesn't really gel with other things. Sometimes that's awesome, but not where I'm at now.

As a like synthesis tool it's amazing but I'm having the hardest time incorporating it into things I make unless I start there and build around it. ...which okay fair is most things but much more so these guys than like a Roland.

Mine is largely an arpeggio machine as well. I agree that it tends to sound like itself, as it were. Luckily that sort of thing fits perfect in my sequence-heavy Berlin School stuff.

One fun trick: use the square out to trigger the Slope, and use the Slope for the sound out for a hard sync sound.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

JamesKPolk posted:

0-Coast folks, how are you using yours mostly?

I'm still at the point where I'm experimenting to see what sounds I can get out of it. I haven't done a lot mixing it with other gear, but I love running it through other gear. It was great to have an extra FM-able oscillator to run through filters. Then that started feeling like cheating, so now I've been running a lot of external signals into the 0-coast -- mostly CV.

It seems like the balance mixer favors the overtone signal. I played with it a bit after reading your post. Even with the mixer knob at 9:00 the weird overtones are very prominent. I think that's intended to encourage closing the low pass gate to shape the sound. (I still just leave mine open all the time.) I also tried to use the contour circuit as a low pass filter, with some success. (You can get a sub-oscillator from this if the onset knob is sufficiently high. Doesn't track well.) It can sound decent, but you're limited to filtering the basic waveforms. If you want to filter the overtone signal, you're kind of stuck.

You can only get the overtone signal after it's gone through the audio mixer. But then filtering it with the contour circuit and feeding it back in the mix doesn't work, since the raw overtone signal just puts those harmonics back into the sound. Turning down the raw signal also turns down what's going to the contour, and you get silence. I wish there was a output for the overtone signal before the audio mixer. You could use an external VCA for the signal coming out of the contour signal, or you might as well just close the low pass gate.

Other ideas: I set the clock divider to /2 or /3 for sub-oscillator patches. Bonus points if you then patch the clock signal to the slope for a saw wave or into the FM jack. Once I forgot my MIDI settings were saved and ended up with audio-rate arpeggios. Maybe do some Tim Follin chords?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6MmtyN36bE

Watch out that the clock signal picks up interference from the MIDI B LEDs at high audio frequencies. This can be mostly fixed by setting the MIDI B outputs not to be LFOs. If the multiply attenuverter is set to it's negative, 5V in the multiply circuit gets rid of all the overtones in the audio signal before it gets to the audio mixer. You can get AM by patching an audio rate signal into the multiply input or the balance input. I think there's potential in using the voltage mixer for chorus/phaser stuff with two audio rate signals at the same pitch (except the overtone signal again). Too bad the attenuverter knob isn't voltage controlled.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

I'm embracing my inner hatred of having money so I'm looking for a sequencer, but I don't know what to get. I have a MicroKorg, a JP-08, a Peak on the way and an MS-20 so ideally it would be able to control over both MIDI and a patch cable but just MIDI is okay if it makes a huge difference in price. My intended budget is a flexible $500. Any suggestions? I know it's a pretty vague request but I don't really know what all the different features are. :saddowns:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Beatstep Pro is pretty affordable, includes two step sequencers and a dedicated drum sequencer, and does both MIDI and CV/Gate. And it's only 250 bucks so you could get two and clock one off the other. Although it's a bit of a waste for anything polyphonic. Maybe a Beatstep Pro and a Keystep? I think in that price range you're hard pressed to find any single device that can sequence four synths at once, two is already a minor miracle as far as I can tell.

Here's one of Arturia's demo vids on it, see if that looks like something you could work with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_3pnbTq26o

In fact, I got one just yesterday. :v: It's pretty fun, but I absolutely need something else I can hook up to it. Right now I dug out the old Rhythm Wolf just for testing and man that's not gonna do.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
The drum sequencer on the BSP can sort of fake a polyphonic sequencer if you mess with the MIDI settings. I think Zaquencer can do four melodic lines? I'm not really familiar with it. You could get polyphonic sequencing from an Electribe. It's in your budget, but you'd be paying a lot for the sound engine. Other people in the thread are fans of old 80s/90s sequencers like the Yamaha QY 20.

Or for $500, you get five SQ-1s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzMscdwcWuU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

unironically this

used pyramid? PyraOS2.0 just dropped with a mess of new features. I wouldn't bother with a CV capable sequencer if most of your sequencing is MIDI, though. A MIDI->CV box/module is a lot cheaper than a sequencer that does both. These days MPC1ks are dirt cheap. Doesn't have as many complex sequencing options on offer as more modern or analog styled sequencers but hey it's also a sampler.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

Mine is largely an arpeggio machine as well. I agree that it tends to sound like itself, as it were. Luckily that sort of thing fits perfect in my sequence-heavy Berlin School stuff.

One fun trick: use the square out to trigger the Slope, and use the Slope for the sound out for a hard sync sound.

Oh DUH I was trying to do that last night but I had Square going in to Time rather than Trig (and restarting slope on each note to sync the osc).

Time is just cv control over the range both knobs are set to right? Or is there a clocking thing? I thought the latter but I'm pretty sure it's the former now.

So Math posted:

I'm still at the point where I'm experimenting to see what sounds I can get out of it. I haven't done a lot mixing it with other gear, but I love running it through other gear. It was great to have an extra FM-able oscillator to run through filters. Then that started feeling like cheating, so now I've been running a lot of external signals into the 0-coast -- mostly CV.

Jeez this gives me a ton of stuff to try, thank you. I have a Juno filter desktop thing that would go a long way towards integrating, now that you mention it - I'll give that a shot.

I find it tough to use the gate as a filter without losing too much amplitude (which is the point, I realize) - but I may just need more VCAs. And yeah I wish you could get at the overtones separately from the mixer (and vice versa).

How are you getting at the clock divider? Is it a A/B button thing? I'm pretty far behind on updates too, if it was introduced later.

Startyde posted:

These days MPC1ks are dirt cheap. Doesn't have as many complex sequencing options on offer as more modern or analog styled sequencers but hey it's also a sampler.

I'd do this. JJOS, a custom MPC OS for 1Ks and 2500s, is awesome. Also check out older (80s-90s) midi stuff - Emu and Yamaha in particular.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Hey everyone,

I've decided to sell my modular stuff. It's been fun and all but I don't think I'm really taking advantage of its lack of limitations and can't justify having such an expensive instrument sitting around.

Link to my Reverb shop: https://reverb.com/shop/codys-gear-locker-46

I have a ton of cables too. I'd consider possibly doing discounts for multiple items if bought together.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

So Math posted:

The drum sequencer on the BSP can sort of fake a polyphonic sequencer if you mess with the MIDI settings.

Go onnnnnnnnnnn

e: Although a keystep is probably easier...

net work error fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 4, 2017

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

net work error posted:

Go onnnnnnnnnnn

I believe you can assign the midi notes the drum parts use to a musical scale in the software editor under the device setting tab. If I'm misremembering that part, they are chromatic by default. Then to sequence, say, a Em chord, you'll need to add a trigger to each of the E1, G1, B1 tracks. Yeah, Keystep is probably easier.

JamesKPolk posted:

How are you getting at the clock divider? Is it a A/B button thing? I'm pretty far behind on updates too, if it was introduced later.

The most recent firmware has new parameters that you have to access via MIDI CC messages. I mentioned the clock divider, there's also portamento, pitch bend sensitivity, aftertouch sensitivity, and maybe a couple others. Cheers!

So Math fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 4, 2017

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

Thank you all for the recommendations. I sort of misspoke; I wouldn't need to control everything simultaneously, one at a time is completely fine with me. With that in mind and an increased price limit ($850?) would there be any others to look at?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

FirstPlayer posted:

Thank you all for the recommendations. I sort of misspoke; I wouldn't need to control everything simultaneously, one at a time is completely fine with me. With that in mind and an increased price limit ($850?) would there be any others to look at?

Get a Social Entropy Engine!!! Real hot poo poo x0x-style MIDI and CV (8 channels of each), and Transistor Rhythm has said not too far up-thread its competitive with a Cirklon, which is the current holy grail. They're not always in stock right now but it's not nearly as bad as the Sequentix wait list situation.

The other things on that level are a MPC 1000 / 2500 with JJOS - which isn't quite as good MIDI-wise, but also has a sampler, the afore-mentioned Sequentix Cirklon (which rules... but real hard to get), and the MIDIBox, which is a super-opaque DIY project that nerds in this direction swear by - but like until last year they wouldn't agree on like trusted builder lists, thinking figuring out how to build the drat thing was half the fun, and there's still not a single agreed upon BOM, so if you want an easy solution it might not be that.

You're also close to Elektron range there - a used Machinedrum or Monomachine, or maybe an OT would give you enough MIDI (and a A4 CV) plus a ton of extras. They're instruments first but the sequencers are really good.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

JamesKPolk posted:

Get a Social Entropy Engine!!! Real hot poo poo x0x-style MIDI and CV (8 channels of each), and Transistor Rhythm has said not too far up-thread its competitive with a Cirklon, which is the current holy grail. They're not always in stock right now but it's not nearly as bad as the Sequentix wait list situation.

Deffo, Engine and Pyramid are the sub-1k hotness for sequencers atm

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

0-Coast: updated. Now, to calibrate.

Startyde posted:

Oh wow, the Pyramid looks awesome - I had been wondering if there was something like that. I looked at the I/Os early on and wrote it off but I'm reading the specs and it seems a lot more powerful than I thought. Drawing cc/cv automation curves is something I've been wishing for in hardware recently...

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Startyde posted:

I have the pyramid and can't recommend it enough (especially if you are only semi modular) even though I'm debating between keeping it and getting the digitakt or selling it and getting the mpc live since a sampler is more important for me to get right now.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Gringostar posted:

I have the pyramid and can't recommend it enough (especially if you are only semi modular) even though I'm debating between keeping it and getting the digitakt or selling it and getting the mpc live since a sampler is more important for me to get right now.

man i wanna get an mpc live too, battery power is such a plus in my book

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

man i wanna get an mpc live too, battery power is such a plus in my book

The live is also suppose to support Bluetooth eventually and I already have the korg Bluetooth keyboard that I use with my iPad which would make it a nice travel option. But no conditional trigs, no 4 midi effects, and the digitakt looks like its better for sample manipulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Gringostar posted:

better for sample manipulation.

how so? like, easier to p lock whatever modulations you want or just more in general?

i realized a couple months ago that the reason my modular dont need a wogglebug or other source of uncertainty clone is cuz im more than enough chaos for any system

likewise every sample i chop, whether on the 612, 404, or dss-1 is gonna be super manipulated without even thinkin about it. like, heavy manipulation is gonna happen no matter the sampler when i play it is i guess my point; i havent rly looked at the digitakt cuz elektron boxes dont look like my idea of fun to play but i might just forget the mpc and just keep stuff short on the 404