Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

TGLT posted:

That's pretty much the same argument people pull out when some one complains about a comedian making a racist or sexist joke. People can be focused on many different things at once. And yeah they're also probably doing it to score cheap points or distract from Trump's garbage performance abroad, but that wouldn't change whether or not they're right for calling it egregious.

I mean, I agree the outrage is wrong. Defacing effigies of politicians is not particularly new and it's not like beheading has some particularly dark history in the US, unlike say lynching as political violence against black communities. But saying there's other poo poo to be mad about isn't a really good argument.

Except a published cartoonist or author can't be focused on many things at once. If you have a platform that allows you to make one statement a day, then you should make sure you're talking about something important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Jurgan posted:

Except a published cartoonist or author can't be focused on many things at once. If you have a platform that allows you to make one statement a day, then you should make sure you're talking about something important.

There's always tomorrow and political cartoons already have a tradition of being two weeks late to the party. edit: poo poo, how about those people that made that really long Wonder Woman comic for the nib? I mean, geeze, why weren't they focusing all their attention every day 24/7 on Trump or climate change instead.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 1, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They really need to update that. I've been seeing that image since before Obama won.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Vib Rib posted:

Not that this is in any way a new trend (or even a partisan one) but man with all this poo poo going on in the world, domestically and abroad, every single loving day, this many cartoonists think the most pressing commentary is on a comedian making a joke they got offended by?
Like, out of everything, that's what needs attention. Not the state of international climate change agreements, or EU attitudes towards the US and UK.

That's so weird, I thought Trump was going to unite the nation!
Most of them need to do a comic every day. Something like this makes for an easy day. It's current, it's political related, and it's what people are talking about.

I won't say I've seen it here so far, but sometimes a few actually can come up with a clever one that's not just repeating the image of her holding the head but it's her head or showing Trump holding her head or whatever.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

They really need to update that. I've been seeing that image since before Obama won.

As long as it's in emails with subject lines prefixed with "Fwd: FW: Fwd: Fw: [FW: FWD:", it will keep showing up.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Where can I find more of this comic? I assume from the font it's been translated into English? I like the art.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

"Goad Trip"

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Vib Rib posted:

Not that this is in any way a new trend (or even a partisan one) but man with all this poo poo going on in the world, domestically and abroad, every single loving day, this many cartoonists think the most pressing commentary is on a comedian making a joke they got offended by?
Like, out of everything, that's what needs attention. Not the state of international climate change agreements, or EU attitudes towards the US and UK.

Because "oh thank god a liberal did something stupid, another day I get to put off facing up to the myriad failures of my side"

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, "liberals called Bush a Nazi" and "liberals made fun of Sarah Palin's kids" don't have infinite staying power.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Sax Solo posted:

What... Is this a parody? Does something here represent the national debt?

edit: I'm also held up here because so many people misuse "dog whistle politics" (like "false flag" above) that I am no longer sure what people actually loving mean when they use it.
It's an :australia: cartoon. The ASIO chief, backed up by the Australian Federal Police commissioner (the dog is decked out in a police pattern), said at a senate hearing that refugees are not the terrorism issue, it's more an issue with those with a violent interpretation of Sunni Islam. Conservatives such as Tony Abbott have criticised them and called for them to flat out admit it's refugees.

David Rowe:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

SeANMcBAY posted:

How many of those women have the Right turned on since that image was made, anyway?

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

SeANMcBAY posted:

At least three on the Dem side have already passed. I guess they couldn't find suitably ugly pictures of Sarah Silverman, Cameron Diaz, and Jennifer Lawrence.

Ripping grandpa from his booze and TV is what it finally took to extinguish Lady Liberty's torch.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

TGLT posted:

That's pretty much the same argument people pull out when some one complains about a comedian making a racist or sexist joke. People can be focused on many different things at once. And yeah they're also probably doing it to score cheap points or distract from Trump's garbage performance abroad, but that wouldn't change whether or not they're right for calling it egregious.

I mean, I agree the outrage is wrong. Defacing effigies of politicians is not particularly new and it's not like beheading has some particularly dark history in the US, unlike say lynching as political violence against black communities. But saying there's other poo poo to be mad about isn't a really good argument.
I think, in context, it's a specifically different beast here. In normal concern and daily conversation, then of course, people can care about more than one thing. But a political cartoonist puts out a limited set of work, so they have to choose their points. Unlike almost all other situations, this is one case where the actually is a finite amount of discussion available, so the way it's rationed out is much more telling of the artists and authors.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

I think, in context, it's a specifically different beast here. In normal concern and daily conversation, then of course, people can care about more than one thing. But a political cartoonist puts out a limited set of work, so they have to choose their points. Unlike almost all other situations, this is one case where the actually is a finite amount of discussion available, so the way it's rationed out is much more telling of the artists and authors.

TGLT posted:

There's always tomorrow and political cartoons already have a tradition of being two weeks late to the party. edit: poo poo, how about those people that made that really long Wonder Woman comic for the nib? I mean, geeze, why weren't they focusing all their attention every day 24/7 on Trump or climate change instead.

They're not banishing themselves to a life of solitude and Kathy Griffin cartoons. How about Latuff's covfefe cartoon, or any other covfefe cartoon? Kathy Griffin's photo was at least an explicitly political creation to be reacting to, covfefe is some dumb bullshit. They're dumb comics, and definitely part of a greater trend of conservative cartoonists generally dodging having to deal with Trump, but "don't they have anything better to do" is as silly here as elsewhere. This is probably not the second coming of the great Dogs on Roofocalypse please god have mercy.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

I'm reluctant to bring this up, because it often leads to trans-phobic jokes, but:

Ann Coulter? Really? I mean, like what you like, but you have unusual tastes.

I like this one.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Susie Cagle's latest. Americans eat too much loving meat.

The rest: http://civileats.com/2017/05/31/eat-less-meat-a-small-change-with-a-big-impact/

Shangri-Law School fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 1, 2017

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Shangri-Law School posted:

Susie Cagle's latest. Americans eat too much loving meat.
*snip*

My human anthro/ecology professor told me he was a vegetarian for ecological reasons in 2004 and the idea blew my fuckin mind as a twenty year old. He then taught a whole lecture about it and the theory behind it being an extension of simple energy principles. It's why I eventually got my masters degree in environmental health.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DONALDTRUMP's ATTACK rose sharply!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yo don't post a whole long-form comic in one post. Besides being annoying to scroll through for uninterested parties, it probably hurts the cartoonist's bottom line. Just do a preview and through in a link.

Jurgan posted:

Ann Coulter? Really? I mean, like what you like, but you have unusual tastes.
Saying your side is better because you have hotter women sends a way different message than they expect.

Also, I imagine Obama is only on there because she's black.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I have a prediction about one of Ben Garrison's next cartoons: A liberal "snowflake" and/or Democrat donkey media straw man, sitting in a corner and crying or raging about "covfefe". Meanwhile, a muscular Chimp will be standing and 'Making America Great Again' by enacting various items of his agenda: the wall, pissing off liberals, etc.

He'll think it's a 'gotcha' about the "liberal" media focusing on bullshit while Trump gets poo poo done. Guaranteed. I've seen enough of his cartoons that I'm reasonably sure enough to call it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 1, 2017

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

From a distance, I thought this was a comparison chart of Metal Gear 2 character models between the original version and the one included in the HD collection, highlighting the whitewashing of Gray Fox and Master Miller.

:argh: Konami!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

After The War posted:

From a distance, I thought this was a comparison chart of Metal Gear 2 character models between the original version and the one included in the HD collection, highlighting the whitewashing of Gray Fox and Master Miller.

:argh: Konami!

They just get more Anime if anything

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

SeANMcBAY posted:

yeah half of the dem women are dead

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
God Loves, Man Kills is such a great title (and story).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh God no Bill Day's gone back to the giant feet, it's Mitt Romney's 2012 campaign all over again :gonk:

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Deified Data posted:

Where can I find more of this comic? I assume from the font it's been translated into English? I like the art.

Alhazred recently started translating it for this thread, I think. So read his post history here. The originals are in Norwegian and Swedish IIRC.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Improbable Lobster posted:

They just get more Anime if anything

And, you know, less obvious tracings of famous people. There's a reason why you can't keep pointing out that your character is Sylvester Stallone rescuing Einstein from Sean Conneryin a game intended for major international release.

...so Ramirez thinks Trump IS Bigfoot? What the gently caress?

Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan

Fulchrum posted:

Wellll...

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

loving god. Is there someone in tinsleys town that i can pay to egg his house

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Did Stantis fall victim to the 2 week delay or something?

I don't understand how it took this long to make this bland cartoon about the Comey firing.

Edit: I guess it has actually been 3 weeks. I can't keep up.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

gently caress off Tinsley you gigantic piece of poo poo.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

The sighting of Trump in one of his cartoons is akin to seeing a sasquatch.

I don't get the grassy knoll reference, unless it's a confession that Ramirez shot JFK.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Okay is this the most incomprehensible Ramirez yet? I have literally no idea what he's trying to say.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
It's saying that the Trump/Russia connection is as fake as Bigfoot, but putting Trump himself in the role of bigfoot kind of muddles the message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Also, JFK? :confused:

• Locked thread