Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'll take a new Pinky & The Brain, if they don't screw it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Pop TV has been showing ER from the start and they're on season 6 and this is still my favorite soap opera, at least until Mark kicks the bucket and the show goes totally off the rails

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Balloo the Bear as 1930s bush pilot" was too much of a "Huh?" thing for me as a kid

Somehow I didn't piece that together, despite the biplanes and the costuming and the art deco set designs, until an episode ended on a "Radio with pictures?! It'll never work!" joke. At which point I had that exact same "Hey, this is set in the...wait...huh?" moment.

Also I didn't like Baloo, or the obnoxious "totally cool audience surrogate" kid bear. TaleSpin was one of those shows I put up with for 30 minutes, until the good thing came on.

muscles like this! posted:

I don't really care about Ducktales or Animaniacs. I want a Freakazoid reboot.

It would definitely have to be an "adult" reboot, because Freakazoid had the power of the The Internet. Fun and nebulous in 1995, in 2017 (Oh, God, the concept of Freakazoid is old enough to drink) that would just mean he would be a white power ultra-perv rear end in a top hat.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
How is Gargoyles today? Because I thought that was the greatest thing on TV back then.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Don't try to watch Exosquad again.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
What's up with American Crime, is it any good?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know but the first thing that Google showed me when I searched for it was Darren Criss' penis.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I really liked the second season, but the third season was absolutely terrible. The first season was decent. If you have free time and like serialized crime dramas, you could do much worse than watching the first two seasons.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
So this is cool, probably. Michael Green (Kings, American Gods) is the one behind FX's planned adaptation of Y The Last Man. Brian K Vaughn mentions it in this interview.

Also there are some spoilers for Saga and such in there, so it's worth scrolling down to the section with the Runaways picture.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lycus posted:

How is Gargoyles today? Because I thought that was the greatest thing on TV back then.

Absolutely still holds up. It was Disney's BTAS.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JethroMcB posted:

Somehow I didn't piece that together, despite the biplanes and the costuming and the art deco set designs, until an episode ended on a "Radio with pictures?! It'll never work!" joke. At which point I had that exact same "Hey, this is set in the...wait...huh?" moment.

I imagine I'd like it now, because I love pulp period settings, but when I was little, I was really into all the old Disney animated movies and Balloo in The Jungle Book was a "real" bear who didn't wear clothes or anything. It'd be like if you made a series called something like "Pride of the Seas" where Simba from The Lion King is CEO of a shipping firm.

Thing is, TaleSpin was the only one I felt that way about - I liked the Aladdin series and the Hercules series because they weren't a million miles away from those movies. And you could do stuff like put Mickey Mouse in The Prince and the Pauper or use Mickey, Donald and Goofy as the Three Musketeers or the like because those characters are more like animated actors you can slot into different settings without too much difficulty.

It's pretty interesting to look back at those early Disney Afternoon shows and recognise that the main ones (DuckTales, TaleSpin, Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck) were very much influenced by the two biggest movies of 1989: the Last Crusade and Batman '89.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

McSpanky posted:

Absolutely still holds up. It was Disney's BTAS.

I do remember a massive quality drop when it became an ABC Saturday morning cartoon though. I haven't seen any of it since the 90's though.

It was like a "The Real Ghostbusters," vs. "Slimer and The Real Ghostbusters" quality drop

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I'm shocked to see so much hate for Tale Spin, it was clearly the best Disney afternoon show by a mile.

What I'd really like to see is an Eek the Cat! reboot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IRQ posted:

I'm shocked to see so much hate for Tale Spin, it was clearly the best Disney afternoon show by a mile.

I didn't hate it, it was just the one I didn't "get" when I was little.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

-Blackadder- posted:

What's up with American Crime, is it any good?

Seasons 1 & 2 are fantastic and up there with just about anything you could watch on television.

Season 3 is pretty bad.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Looten Plunder posted:

Animal Kingdom Season 2 premiered last night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-XD5aBO-RM

This was my biggest surprise of last year. Really solid show if you.

I've been plugging this show for awhile now. Its good, not exactly great, but interesting serial crime drama with no real lows.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I saw an add for it in front of Alien Covenant of all things, and it looks pretty interesting.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Tale Spin was my favorite of that bunch, but I get it if it was too weird for some kids.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand what was weird about it...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sportsgenius86 posted:

Seasons 1 & 2 are fantastic and up there with just about anything you could watch on television.

Season 3 is pretty bad.

Oh really @ s3? I was gonna binge it soon.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Iron Crowned posted:

I do remember a massive quality drop when it became an ABC Saturday morning cartoon though. I haven't seen any of it since the 90's though.

It was like a "The Real Ghostbusters," vs. "Slimer and The Real Ghostbusters" quality drop

The showrunner left after season 2, and has disowned season 3 except for the first ep. In fact, he was briefly able to revive the property for a comic (up until there were rights issues or something I dunno), which he started by adapting 3.1, then going off in a completely different direction. Shame he didn't get to finish, but with the scale of what he actually envisioned he would never have finished if he'd been put on Gargoyles duty for the rest of his life.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I'm really not getting these "weird" comments for Tailspin either. What was weird about it? Or, should I say, what was weirder about it than any other cartoon adventure series with anthropomorphic animals?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Pop TV has been showing ER from the start and they're on season 6 and this is still my favorite soap opera, at least until Mark kicks the bucket and the show goes totally off the rails

The last season was pretty good, at least. But, yeah, "On the Beach" is a perfect place to stop watching the show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was a kid who loved old Disney animated movies and TaleSpin was weird to me then (I should emphasise again, as a kid) because Balloo and Shere Khan and King Louie etc. didn't wear clothes and everything in the Jungle Book movie. And where was Mowgli? Wasn't he the main character in the movie? I just didn't get it - I didn't get the idea of having those different tales on those characters, probably not particularly helped by the fact that, at least as far as I was then aware, Jungle Book was the only classic movie that was being reimagined and repurposed in that way.

I never said it was a sensible perspective but in my defence I was a stupid kid.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Jungle Book was the only classic movie that was being reimagined and repurposed in that way.

Not quite a movie but Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers was a pretty substantial re-purposing of the old Chip 'n' Dale shorts from the '50s.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It took like 30 seconds for my kid brain to get over the change in venue for the characters when I first saw Tale Spin. Incidentally I think that's about how long the intro was.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

precision posted:

Girlboss managed to be even worse than it looked.

Also what's Dear Black People?

It's supposed to be "Dear White People" and it's something of a spinoff of the movie with the same name. It's a look at race relations at a college, to be general about it.

Unless...:raise: you were just joking....

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 1, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I think kid me was a little confused as to why the Jungle Book characters became safari hunters or something. But then I got over it because I was a kid who wanted to watch cartoons and Baloo being a bush pilot and Louie being a bartender seemed cool to me in a way my kid brain couldn't quite understand.

As an adult I'm definitely curious about the creative process that turned Jungle Book into some odd Casablanca/Cheers/Indiana Jones thing. But kid me just went with it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There's an episode of Talespin that seemed to be a take on The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, so...

Basically Talespin was awesome.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm mildly curious to rewatch TaleSpin now that I've thought about it just to see if the whole series was some writers doing weird homages to classic film and TV that I just didn't get at all as a kid.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

STAC Goat posted:

As an adult I'm definitely curious about the creative process that turned Jungle Book into some odd Casablanca/Cheers/Indiana Jones thing. But kid me just went with it.

Not much more of a leap than Ducktales honestly.

Donald Duck was in tons of cartoons with Mickey Mouse, but think of how odd it would have been for Mickey to show up in the Ducktales universe.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, DuckTales is a basic enough premise of "lets take the old Scrooge McDuck character and team him up with some Donald Duck side characters." I mean, kid me totally would have thought of that one himself. All they did was smash all their tertiary duck characters together.

Now, "lets make a Rescuers show but not use the characters and instead use Chip and Dale re-imagined as Magnum PI and Indiana Jones"? That one had to be a little bit of a journey.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
TIL that The Rescuers Down Under was the first Disney animated sequel. That's crazy, because it means all terrible Disney sequels were made since 1990. That's a lot of bad sequels.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
SENSE8 has been cancelled folks.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DrVenkman posted:

SENSE8 has been cancelled folks.

Oh gently caress you Netflix.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

WTF so glad I cancelled my subscription.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I kind of want the Wachowskis doing big action movies again so it's not all bad. The other director involved in Sense8, Tom Tykwer, actually got his show Babylon Berlin picked up by Netflix for the US. At $45 million it's the largest budget non-English language show in history.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 1, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

Not quite a movie but Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers was a pretty substantial re-purposing of the old Chip 'n' Dale shorts from the '50s.

Sure, but like I said, I didn't have any problem with seeing the classic Disney characters basically "playing" different roles like they're these cartoon actors. For example, one of my favourite videos when I was little was the Disney adaptation of the Prince and the Pauper with Mickey Mouse as the pauper.

I don't know. In retrospect it was a stupid thing to be bothered by.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I keep hearing this idea that the reason Netflix aren't releasing their viewership is because the numbers are actually fairly low for any given show. I'm sure they're happy with their subscriptions, but beyond that I feel there's probably truth to it. I have to think these cancellations are getting to be a part of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, who does the internet petition when they want a show revived that Netflix cancelled?

On a more serious note, it sounds like a lot of this was contractual. The show has a lot of pre and post production to the point where they had to re-instate contracts between Season 1 and Season 2 because options had expired. My guess is they were looking at a similar timeframe between season 2 and season 3 and looked at what it would take to keep the cast optioned and decided it wasn't worth it.

• Locked thread