Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Argue posted:

I've only got a news link but I'm trying to find a full transcript, with no luck.

This is the full transcript from WaPo: http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/documents/politics/transcript-of-call-between-president-trump-and-philippine-president-duterte/2446/

I OCR'd it:

quote:

quote:

PRRD: This is PRRD speaking.

Yes, speaking.

US operator : Yes, Sir, just one moment for President Trump pls.

quote:

PRRD: Thank you.

POTUS: Mr president.

quote:

PRRD: President Trump, thank you for calling, and Good evening, its night over here

POTUS: Okay I hope its not too late? Its okay isn't it? Is it too late?

quote:

PRRD: No its okay we are just having dinner with some members of ASEAN.

POTUS: Oh ok goodbecause know you dont sleep much, you're just like me. You are not a person who goes to bed at all. I know that, right?

quote:

PRRD: Yes

You are right Mr President

POTUS: I just wanted to congratulate you because I am hearing of the unbelievable job on the drug problem. Many countries have the problem, we have a problem, but what a great job you are doing and I just wanted to call and tell you that.

quote:

PRRD: Thank you Mr President. This is the scourge Of my nation now and I have to do something to preserve the Filipino nation.

POTUS: I understand that and fully understand that and I think we had a previous President who did not understand that, but I understand that and we have spoken about this before.

quote:

PRRD: Yes I know that. Thank you. Yes

POTUS: so how is everyone doing, how is the Phls doing?

quote:

PRRD: We are doing fine Mr president but in the ASEAN summit every member state was really nervous about situation in Korean peninsula but we would like to tell you that we support you and keep on the pressure because as long as those rockets and warheads are in the hands of Kim Jon Un we will never safe as there's not telling what will happen next

POTUS: Whats your opinion of him, Rodrigo? Are dealing with someone who stable or not stable?

quote:

PRRD: He is not stable, Mr president, as he keeps on smiling when he explodes a rocket. He even has gone against China which is the last country he should rebuke. But it seems from his face he is laughing always and theres as dangerous toy in his hands which could create so much agony and suffering for all mankind

POTUS: Well, he has got the powder but he doesn't have the delivery system. All his rockets are crashing. That's the good news. But eventually when he ges that delivery system ... What do you think about China? Does China have power over him?

quote:

PRRD: Yes at the end of the day, the last card, the ace has to be With China. Its only China. He is playing with his bombs. his toys and from the looks of it, his mind is not working well and he might just go crazy one moment. China should make a last ditch effort to him tell to lay off. China will play a very important role there.

POTUS: We have a lot of firepower over there. We have two submarines — the best in the world — we have two nuclear submarines — not that we want to use them at all. I've never seen anything like they are but we don't have to use this but he could be crazy so we will see what happens.

quote:

PRRD: Every generation has a mad man — in our generation is Kim Jung Un— you are dealing with a very delicate problem

POTUS: we can handle it

quote:

PRRD: but you can keep the pressure on him.

POTUS: I hope China solves the problem. They really have the means because a great degree of their stuff come through China. They are doing certain things, like not accepting calls. But if China doesn't do it, we will do it

quote:

PRRD: I will try to make a call to President Xi Jinping and I will try to tell him that if we will remain to be peaceful, China has the card. The other option is a nuclear blast which is not good for everybody.

POTUS: You can tell him I am counting on him. I have a very good relationship with him. I had him in Florida for two days and got to know him well. He is a good guy.

quote:

PRRD: I will do that. I will call his Ambassador here and will make an appointment to call him. It will be good if you can keep on the pressure on Kim but actually we are all worried as we are all are within the striking distance of his rockets. We are all afraid

POTUS: We can't let a madman with nuclear weapons let on the loose like that. We have a lot of firepower, more than he has, times 20 but we don't want to use it. You will be in good shape

quote:

PRRD: We believe it, we know it all along. I will try to make a call tmrw to China

POTUS: Pls call China and tell them we are all counting on China. Tell the President - we became friends for two days - he was great.

On another subject, I am coming to see you I guess sometime

quote:

PRRD: November hopefully, we will be happy to see you

POTUS: Thank you Mr President. You are a good man. Yes, certainly in November Welcome and thank you and we will be happy to see you, Rodrigo. I look forward to seeing you.

If you want to come to the Oval office, I will love to have you in Oval Office.
Anytime you want to come.

I will be in the Phls in Nov, but anytime if you are in DC or anywhere, come see me in the Oval office.

Work it out with your staff. Seriously, if you want to come over, just let us know.

Just take care of yourself, and we will take care of North Korea.

Keep up good work, you are doing an amazing job.

Say hello to people of the Philippines for me.

quote:

PRRD: They know that you are calling. It is the last day of the ASEAN Summit and everyone was asking. Sultan Bolkiah just left but I will tell remaining guys here what you told me. We are all for peace, there's no secret about that.

POTUS: Good, you take care of yourself, come see me before November, you are invited anytime.

quote:

PRRD: I will do that Mr President. Thank you for the concern. God bless you Mr President.

POTUS: Take care of yourself, Rodrigo. God bless you.

Thoughts:

* Trump is a big dumb idiot - notice how often he repeats himself

* Further, Trump is asking Duterte how to handle North Korea, which is loving incredible because Duterte has like zero foreign policy experience

* That said, Duterte still comes off as the more intelligent one in the exchange, which is also loving incredible

* Duterte's speaking style here is surprisingly pedestrian compared to the boisterous strongman you usually get in press conferences and campaign stops. I'm going to invoke Godwin and all, but it's similar to that tape of Hitler making casual remarks where he's very subdued. Most world leaders AFAIK have a more consistent speaking style, whether it's Trump on rally-mode all the time, or Obama being very reserved all the time.

* Trump congratulates Duterte on his war on drugs, and even opens with it.

* The reaction to this is interesting: liberals in America are of course goddamn horrified that Trump is speaking positively about Rodrigo "human rights violator" Duterte, while over here, at least for the supporters of the President, it's being taken as a good thing, because now we have good relations with the US and China and Russia all at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Oh, I meant a full transcript of the speech he just gave where he said Martial Law Is Cool And Good

Edit: also, I have to wonder if Trump is asking for Duterte's advice on North Korea because we're both Asian countries so hey he must know something about it

Argue fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 24, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/robertmanodzmm/status/867391539630288896

quote:

MALACANAñ PALACE

MANILA

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE PHILIPPINES

PROCLAMATION NO. 216

DECLARING A STATE OF MARTIAL LAW AND SUSPENDING THE PRIVILEGE OF THE WRIT OF HABEAS CORPUS IN THE WHOLE OF MINDANAO

WHEREAS, Proclamation No 55. series of 2016. was issued on 04 September 2016 declaring a state of national emergency on account of violence in Mindanao:

WHEREAS, Section 18, Article VII of the Constitution provides that 'x x x In case of invasion or rebellion, when the public safety requires it, he (the President) may, for a period not exceeding sixty days, suspend the privilege of the writ of habeas corpus place or the Philippines or any part thereof under martial law x x x";

WHEREAS, Article 134 of the Revised Penal Code, as amended by RA No. 6968. provides that "the crime of rebellion or insurrection is committed by rising taking arms against the Government for the purpose of removing from the allegiance to said Government or its laws, the territory of the Republic of the Philippines or any part thereof, of any body of land, naval or other armed forces, or depriving the Chief Executive or the Legislature, wholly or partially, of any Of their or prerogatives",

WHEREAS, part of the reasons for the issuance Of Proclamation No. 55 was the series of violent acts committed by the Maute terrorist group such as the attack the military outpost in Butig, Lanao del Sur in February 2016, killing and wounding several soldiers, and the mass jailbreak in Marawi City in August 2016, freeing their arrested comrades and other detainees,

WHEREAS today, 23 May 2017, the same Maute terrorist group has taken over a hospital in Marawi City, Lanao del Sur, established several checkpoints within the City, burned down certain government and private facilities and inflicted
casualties on the part of Government forces, and started flying the flag of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) in several areas, thereby openly attempting to remove from the allegiance to the Philippine Government this part Of Mindanao and deprive the Chief Executive of his powers and prerogatives to enforce the laws of the land and to maintain public order and safety in Mindanao, constituting the crime of rebellion, and

WHEREAS, this recent attack shows the capability Of the Maute group and other rebel groups to sow terror and cause death and damage to property not only in Lanao del Sur but also in other parts of Mindanao

NOW, THEREFORE, I, RODRIGO ROA DUTERTE. President of the Republic of the Philippines, by virtue of the powers vested in me by the Constitution and by law, do hereby proclaim, as follows:

SECTION 1. There is hereby declared a state of martial law in the Mindanao group of islands for a period not exceeding sixty days, effective as of the date hereof.

SECTION 2. The privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall likewise be suspended in the aforesaid area for the duration of the state of martial law.

DONE in the Russian Federation. This 23rd day of May in the year of Our Lord, Two Thousand and Seventeen.

By the President,

SALVADOR C. MEDIALDEA

Executive Secretary

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
This is going to play hell for his political opponents and already vulnerable opposition groups.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't they bringing drug trafficking charges against one of his more visible political opponents?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't they bringing drug trafficking charges against one of his more visible political opponents?

Brought. Senator Leila De Lima has been in custody since Feb 24 on drug trafficking charges.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
So is there even much of a political opposition to destroy with martial law? From an outside perspective it seems like there already isn't much dissent given the circumstances.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
No, there isn't much of an organized opposition movement to "use Martial Law against".

It's not a crossing-the-Rubicon moment that Marcos's Martial Law declaration was, and there is a plausible justification* for it, and it's not immediately apparent that this is going to be a seizure of power. I mean, he wouldn't even need to unilaterally seize power at the moment - he's still in power for another five years, two if we expect the mid-terms to be a bloodbath for administration bets (it probably won't be).

What worries me personally is that it's going to be enough of a soft landing that it becomes the new normal. If he doesn't use this to jail political prisoners, if he doesn't use this to commit (rampant) human rights abuses, and if the Abu Sayyaf/Maute Group/CPP-NPA cause just enough trouble to justify its continued use, then he could make it last a while and contribute to the slow erosion of civil liberties under it.

Duterte declared a "state of lawlessness" across the country in September of last year. That was never lifted. And then he adds on Martial Law on top of it? It stinks.

* even Marcos has a plausible justification for his, thanks to the Communist insurgency at the time.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

quote:

Overnight, heavy clashes erupted in the predominately Sunni city of Marawi in the southern Philippines after security forces and ISIS sleeper cells battled it out for hours on end.

2 soldiers and 1 police officer were killed in the initial skirmishes although no civilians were injured by crossfire, a military source told Al-Masdar News.

Subsequently, the Philippine Army withdrew from most of the city on Tuesday morning, thereby making it the first city in southeast Asia to come under Islamic State control.

Some 500 ISIS insurgents are said to be present in Marawi. These heavily armed jihadist fighters have taken control of the city center and set up roadblocks in several districts.

In addition, ISIS members have captured the main prison in Marawi and released over a hundred prisoners, many of whom are caliphate sympathisers and may join its ranks.

Dozens of military vehicles and weapons were also captured during the battle.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
that seems bad

is there a link to that article?

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 26, 2017

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Obviously Duterte's hard line focus on drug users is starting to pay off for the Philippines. I'm sure another few tens of thousands of death will see an end to the only problem. All other criminals will obviously fall in line when they see this hard line.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

But what is Durerte's aim here? To basically establish an absolute dictatorship with him in charge?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So, news:

* Congress will not convene to review the declaration of Martial Law. The Constitution obliges the President to present a report to Congress regarding his declaration within 48 hours of making it, and Congress is expected to review it, but apparently since there is an unspoken consensus of support for ML, Congress feels no pressing need to do this review either way. If ever ML needs to be extended past 60 days, that's when there's a mandate for Congress to take up a vote on it.

* The AFP has expressed its right to exercise censure under Martial Law:

quote:

"(This early, we’re appealing to the public to exercise their common sense. If you know that what you're posting does harm and does not help, don’t post it. You might just find the police knocking on your door to arrest you)" AFP spokesman Brigadier General Restituto Padilla said in a chance interview with reporters.

"The AFP has not recommended the suspension of the freedom of expression, but will exercise the right to censure," said Padilla, the designated spokesperson of the implementation of martial law in Mindanao.

Padilla cited the following instances where they will exercise their right to censure:

* To ensure the safety of lives
* To ensure operational safety
* For other national security considerations

When asked, Padilla said it "will cover social media."

* In declaring martial law, Duterte cited the beheading of a police chief — who is still alive

quote:

When President Rodrigo Duterte explained his decision to declare martial law across a wide swath of the southern Philippines, he described one of the most chilling scenes imaginable: a beheading.

In a news conference that made headlines around the world, Duterte said the police chief in Malabang was stopped at a checkpoint on his way home from work and slaughtered by terrorists on the spot. “They decapitated him then and there,” he said.

The Philippine president’s claim spread quickly, with much of the local and foreign press reporting it as fact. Soon, unconfirmed reports of “beheadings” became a major part of the story line.

But the Malabang police chief is alive — The Washington Post spoke to him on Friday. And The Post could find no new evidence of televised beheadings on Mindanao, though unconfirmed accounts of beheadings are circulating widely online. (There have been beheadings there in the past, and a priest and some followers were indeed taken hostage this week, according to a Filipino bishop.)

It is not yet clear whether the police chief story was a mix-up or a careful bit of messaging.

* Doctor denies Marawi hospital taken over by Maute

quote:

A staff member from the Amai Pakpak Medical Center in Marawi City dismissed reports that the hospital was taken over by members of Maute group when it attacked earlier this week.

According to Raffy Tima's report on "24 Oras" on Thursday, Dr. Amer Saber, medical chief of the hospital, denied that there was a takeover.

"There was no hostage taking. They were not able to raise any ISIS flag in this area," Saber said.

The report said a wounded member of the group was even rushed to the hospital, but he immediately died.

Initial reports indicated that armed members of the Maute group took over the government hospital on Tuesday.

and finally ...

Duterte vows all-out support for troops fighting terrorists – then cracks rape joke

quote:

He told them not to worry about the implications of martial law, saying: “If you go down, I go down. But for this martial law and the consequences of martial law and the ramifications of martial law, I and I alone would be responsible. (Do your work. Leave everything else to me).”

The soldiers applauded.

Then Duterte shifted into barracks humor mode, saying: “(I will go to jail for you. If you happen to have rape three women, I will own up to it. If you marry four, son of a bitch, you will get beaten…)

He left the sentence hanging.

The rape joke was included in the transcript provided by the Presidential Communications Office.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

MrMojok posted:

But what is Durerte's aim here? To basically establish an absolute dictatorship with him in charge?

I'd guess it's not really an overall game plan but he's been frustrated by democratic barriers to exercising power as he's wanted. Each of these steps is basically an opportunity to block out a possible position or run over a particular opponent but it's built up to the point where he can run over the potential for anyone to oppose him. Why risk another outspoken senator when he can declare martial law and then have anyone who sounds critical picked up for investigations the day before any vote on the extension of martial law?

Also AFP well done on Chinese style: we will attest people for saying unacceptable things the government doesn't like. However these are guidelines rather than a law so we won't get into the specifics of what those are. Have a good day and enjoy the lack of laws that prevent you saying whatever to why. But we might come knocking, not that that impinges on your freedom of speech. Come knocking with night sticks.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
So I hear things aren't going great in the Philippines C/d?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Nah we're all good here. Anything you've heard to the contrary in this thread is yellow propaganda that the Aquinos paid Lowtax to promote, the same way they've been paying off the UN as well as every foreign publication.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
From May 25, the first afternoon since the declaration of Martial Law:

Authorities round up 250 persons of interest in Davao

quote:

Authorities here rounded up some 250 individuals in two barangays early Thursday morning after receiving information on the presence of suspicious-looking persons.

Joint forces of the Task Force Davao and the Davao City Police Office swooped down on the barangays of Bucana and Mini-Forest.

"We are conducting verification of a written report that some unidentified persons ay reportedly pumasok sa area," said Davao City Police Office director Senior Supt. Alexander Tagum. "At kaya narito kami to verify yung mga identification nitong mga taong ito."

[Translation: We are conducting verification of a written report that some unidentified persons reportedly entered the area. And that's why we're here to verify the identification of these people.]

Tagum said the individuals were considered "persons of interest" since they could not present proof of identification.

He added that the officials of the two barangays could not verify the identities of those rounded up.

The persons of interest are now at the DCPO headquarters to undergo a "verification process." They are not under arrest.

Tagum said their operation is part of their effort to prevent the entry of terrorists in one of Mindanao's biggest cities.

From earlier today: Warrantless arrests begin at Mindanao checkpoints

quote:

Warrantless arrests have been made in checkpoints in Mindanao, confirmed Martial Law implementor General Eduardo Año.

"(There is one area, where personalities were not able to show identification cards at the checkpoint). So they are being verified. Once they are verified, they are being released," Año said without going into details.

"We are checking the identity of these persons. Once somebody can attest this is actually the same person without any link to the terrorist group [we release him]," Año added.

He was interviewed on Friday, May 26, on the sidelines of President Rodrigo Duterte's visit to a military camp near Marawi City, where clashes between government troops and local terrorist groups had been going on for 4 days.

Clashes in Marawi City between government troops and local terrorist groups prompted President Duterte to declare martial law in Mindanao.

"We have established check points not only here in Marawi but in key cities where we think there are people linked to terroristic activities," Año said.

Rappler observed how the checkpoints were noticeably stricter after the visit of Duterte and the country's top military officers on Friday.

Security officers manning the checkpoint for passengers and motorists going to Iligan City proper were seen with printout of photos of the military's "Wanted Terror List."

Año said the suspension of the privilege of the writ of habeas corpus is the most important aspect of the martial law declaration.

"The process is easier now to arrest people we suspect to be linked to rebellion," said Año.

The other is the power that it gives the military to use private utilities.

"If there is a need to use some utilities, either public or private, we can do that because it is inherent in this martial law. But we will exercise discretion," Año said.

Amid concerns, Año gave assurances that his brand of martial law will be different from the country's experience in the 1970s.

"But we will use the special powers of martial law to defeat this Maute Group and other armed groups who connived to try to dismember this part of the territory from the Philippines," he said.

Before the Marawi clashes, Año was working to finish local terror groups by June 2017.

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

So I hear things aren't going great in the Philippines C/d?

So far, Martial Law has been limited to Mindanao, and there's still the pretense that it's for the purposes of suppressing the terrorist activities of the Maute group, but given that the President has spoken favorably of even the brand of Martial Law practiced by Ferdinand Marcos some fifty-something times since (and before) being elected President, and since he spoke of wanting to extend it to Visayas and even nation-wide even the morning after he declared it, and since he made that rape joke that pretty much endorses the army to commit human rights abuses (which is pretty much what happened with the police vis-a-vis drug suspects), we're all just waiting for the other shoe to drop, even if they literally are not yet hauling people off the streets of Manila.

There's also this nice back-and-forth about whether or not the Maute group actually is linked with ISIS:

quote:

The Armed Forces of the Philippines on Thursday said it will follow the pronouncement of President Rodrigo Duterte saying that ISIS has a presence in the country.

"Our commander in chief has already made a pronouncement (that this is a group of ISIS), so we are making adjustment accordingly (since) our President and commander-in-chief has access to other information that initially the AFP might not have," Col. Edgard Arevalo, AFP public affairs office chief, said in an interview on Unang Balita.

"It's already the commander-in-chief (that said it), so we subscribe to that pronouncement," Arevalo added.

The AFP and Philippine National Police earlier insisted that there is no presence of ISIS in the country, saying that the terror group which the government troops encountered in Marawi City is just using the incident to get recognition from ISIS.

Meanwhile, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Wednesday admitted the presence of ISIS despite the denials from PNP and AFP.

quote:

Note: the DFA is currently headed by Alan Peter Cayetano, Duterte's running-mate in the 2016 elections.

In a statement posted on its Twitter account, the DFA said the Philippine government is "fully aware that the Maute Group / ISIS groups have the capability (although limited) to disturb the peace..."

Duterte has placed the entire island of Mindanao under martial law for 60 days following the clashes in Marawi City between the government troops and local terrorist Maute group.

On Wednesday, he said the arrival of ISIS in the country and open defiance of lawless armed groups in Marawi City prompted his declaration of martial law in Mindanao.

So basically the President bangs on about how the Maute group actually is ISIS, and our armed forces debase themselves to match that pronouncement.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

How bad is it for American tourists right now? A friend of a friend is having his wedding this year (he's Filipino) and a number of other friends are going. I'm assuming the groom is smart enough to avoid the actually dangerous places, but how ugly is it currently and how ugly is it likely to get? Any guesses? Everyone that would be traveling is an American citizen.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

How bad is it for American tourists right now? A friend of a friend is having his wedding this year (he's Filipino) and a number of other friends are going. I'm assuming the groom is smart enough to avoid the actually dangerous places, but how ugly is it currently and how ugly is it likely to get? Any guesses? Everyone that would be traveling is an American citizen.

If he's staying in Luzon or Visayas? Not dangerous at all, at least not in terms of Duterte, since they only kill the poor, and being American automatically makes you rich. But do take the precautions you'd take in any country with high crime rates and scammers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah if you're sticking to the tourist traps and/or uptown Manila, the only threats are standard tourist trap problems.

If it turns into Syria before the wedding, you'll hear about it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Duterte vows to ignore Supreme Court on martial law

quote:

President Rodrigo Duterte has said he will ignore the Supreme Court and Congress as he enforces martial law across Mindanao, even though the constitution gives them oversight.

Duterte on Tuesday imposed martial law in the Mindanao region, home to 20 million people, following deadly clashes in Marawi City involving militants whom he said were trying to establish a caliphate for the Islamic State group.

"Until the police and the armed forces say the Philippines is safe, this martial law will continue. I will not listen to others. The Supreme Court, congress, they are not here," Duterte told soldiers on Saturday.

"Are they the ones dying and losing blood, bleeding, hemorrhaging because there is no help, no reinforcement? It's not them."

The 1987 constitution imposes limits on martial law to prevent a repeat of the abuses under dictator Ferdinand Marcos, who was deposed by the "People Power" revolution the previous year.

The charter requires the president to submit a report to congress on why martial law has been declared.

Congress can then revoke a president's declaration of martial law, which is limited to 60 days. If a president decides to extend martial law, congress can again review and revoke.

But Duterte threatened to ignore the mechanisms in place for extension.

"They say after 60 days I should go to congress: I don't know," he said.

The Supreme Court can also rule on martial law's legality if a case is filed before it, but Duterte said the judges would not understand the situation.

"The Supreme Court will say they will examine into the factual [basis]. Why, I don't know. They are not soldiers. They do not know what is happening on the ground," Duterte said Saturday in Jolo.

A day after declaring martial law, Duterte described the nine years of military rule under Marcos as "very good" and said his would be similar.

Duterte also told soldiers on Friday they would be allowed to conduct searches and arrests without warrants.

"During martial law, your commanders, you, you can arrest any person, search any house. There is no more warrant needed," he told troops.

His comments contradicted a government statement released on Saturday to explain martial law.

"Warrants of arrest or search warrants should be issued," the statement from the government's information agency said.

"No person may be arrested and detained without orders coming from these civil courts."

Duterte has overwhelming support in congress, which is this week widely expected to endorse his initial declaration of martial law.

However, Supreme Court Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno on Friday expressed concerns about the declaration.

Later that same day:

https://twitter.com/manila_bulletin/status/868790746500874240

https://twitter.com/manila_bulletin/status/868790995860676608

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Interesting to see the Philippines has replaced Communist insurgency with drug fiends.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

MrNemo posted:

Interesting to see the Philippines has replaced Communist insurgency with drug fiends.

Yeah but there totally still are Communist insurgents here.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Any news out of Mindanao?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kurtofan posted:

Any news out of Mindanao?

There's still fighting going-on in Marawi between the Maute fighters and government troops.

As of Sunday night local time:

quote:

At least 97 people have died in the fighting between government security forces and terrorists here.

The fatalities included 19 civilians, 61 members of the Maute and Abu Sayyaf groups, 13 soldiers and four policemen.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

is this a new development or a continuation of something that's already happening? Because "we can now search, seize, and arrest without a warrant" sounds like a pretty big fuckin' deal.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DC Murderverse posted:

is this a new development or a continuation of something that's already happening? Because "we can now search, seize, and arrest without a warrant" sounds like a pretty big fuckin' deal.

It's something that's been happening since the ML declaration last week Wednesday (and yes, that in itself is a big fuckin' deal), but the dangerous escalation is the President declaring it's open season to do it even for drug-related offenses.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah but there totally still are Communist insurgents here.

When we went to Pulilo Island we had to cross NPA lines. It was an ... interesting trip.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
* According to a spokesperson from the AFP, there is no proof that the Maute Group has received any sort of foreign funding.

* Opposition Senators revealed that according to a briefing given by Defense Secretary Lorenzana to the Senate, the DOD and the military felt that they could contain the Maute Group without requiring a declaration of Martial Law, but the President went ahead and declared it anyway. This comes after a source close to the President revealed that the AFP chief advised the President that the situation in Marawi was well under control on the night of the start of the crisis.

Congress:

* The Senate voted 17-5 in favor of a resolution expressing the sense of the Senate that there is no compelling reason to revoke Martial Law at this time

* The Senate also voted 12-9 against a resolution calling for Congress to convene in a joint session to discuss the declaration of Martial Law

* The House dismissed the impeachment case against President Duterte, 217-4

* The Speaker of the House held a press conference in which he told people to "just shut up" about criticizing Martial Law if they weren't from Mindanao.

Fake News:

* Jim Paredes, a popular singer-songwriter from the 80s (think Billy Joel) and a vocal critic of the administration was targeted by false rumors claiming he called Mindanaoans "mountain-dwelling hicks" (roughly translating). The former head of the Commission on Human Rights was also targeted by false rumors claiming she sympathized with the Maute group and that the fighters should be treated with pity and compassion.

* The Manila Times, which is basically The Washington Times at this point, is pushing the talking point that the leak of Duterte-Trump transcript last week constitutes a deplorable crime, having devoted two OpEds to it [1] [2]. They're calling for the prosecution of whoever in the DFA was a dastardly traitor that leaked the documents in an obvious ploy to damage the administration, as well as for the prosecution of Rappler for leaking classified information. Specifically Rappler, and not The Washington Post, who originally broke the story, because Rappler is their "Clinton News Network"-type target and scapegoat.

* The Philippine News Agency, a state-run media organization, was caught last week making a false claim about how a majority of countries in the UN were supporting Duterte's War on Drugs. Yesterday, they were also caught running an article about military clashes in Marawi using a picture from the Search-and-Destroy article in wikipedia depicting an American soldier during the Vietnam War. They released an apology for both.

* Mocha Uson, basically a Matt Drudge-type personality who was recently given a position inside the government as an Assistant Secretary for the President's Communications office, posted an image on her blog imploring for prayers for the soldiers fighting in Marawi. Except she used a picture of soldiers from Honduras. When called out on this, she doubled-down, claiming that it was merely "symbolic".

* Martin Andanar, Secretary of that Comms office, sneaked out the back when reporters tried to confront him about the lies told by the PNA and Uson, both of which are under his responsibility.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Ahahahahahahahahahahaha

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-philippines-militants-duterte-idUSKBN18O0J8

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Out of many world leaders, this might be a sound tactic. Out of Duterte, this screams either "Trap" or "I'm desperate"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Duterte hits back at Chelsea Clinton: Did you slam your dad Bill for having affair with Lewinsky?

quote:

President Rodrigo Duterte on Wednesday hit back at former United States’ First Daughter Chelsea Clinton for reacting to his recent rape remark.

“(People like) Chelsea, she slammed me for the rape joke. I was not joking. I was being sarcastic. You listen to the speech… (What if I told her), when your father, the President of the United States then, was screwing Lewinsky and the girls there in the White House, how did you feel? Did you slam your father?” Duterte said at the 119th Philippine Navy celebration in Sasa Warf, Davao City.

Duterte even repeated his statement later in his speech.

“(All you Americans, and you) Chelsea, be careful because you live in glass house. (Let me reiterate). I repeat, when President Clinton was loving Lewinsky, what was your statement or your reaction? (It's like you're beating me up with with all these criticisms - motherfucker, I'll insult you right back),” he added.

Earlier, the only daughter of former US Secretary of State Hilary Clinton and former President Bill Clinton called Duterte a "murderous thug" while she called him out his rape remark.

Meanwhile, Lewinsky was a White House intern when she had sexual encounters with the former President in 1995-1997, but the scandal broke out in 1998. The youngest Clinton, who was born in 1980, was only 18 years old when her dad’s misbehavior was exposed.

Duterte also accused American soldiers of raping the residents of the countries they were assigned to.

“It is a crime actually committed by soldiers mostly Americans in Okinawa in Japan. But we never heard of a Filipino. I am just warning them that anything they do, I have to answer for it. But I take responsibility for your (hooliganism. I was being sarcastic),” he said.

Also, this was released by the administration's Presidential Communications team:

https://twitter.com/PresidentialCom/status/869841252321300481

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I'm so happy that thing's been deleted because Dyisus Paking Krayst.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Oh poo poo they deleted it? The internet always remembers, motherfucker.

EDIT: Update from Congress:

https://twitter.com/maracepeda/status/869871399409557504

House officially adopts resolution supporting martial law in Mindanao and finding no need to revoke it

https://twitter.com/maracepeda/status/869876053090590720

Lawmakers adopt House Resolution 1045 commending Speaker Alvarez for his "competent and effective stewardship of the House"

https://twitter.com/maracepeda/status/869880298183380994

House adjourns 1st regular session. To resume session when Duterte delivers 2nd SONA in July

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 31, 2017

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Won't anyone think of the poor persecuted fascists? :(

Edit: here's a crappy cam vid of it. if you don't want to click, it's a PROMOTIONAL AD for MARTIAL LAW

https://www.facebook.com/freethinkers/videos/10154667075652686/

Argue fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 31, 2017

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Duterte hits back at Chelsea Clinton: Did you slam your dad Bill for having affair with Lewinsky?

Also, this was released by the administration's Presidential Communications team:

https://twitter.com/PresidentialCom/status/869841252321300481

This was hilarious. An honest to God presidential meltdown. Condolences on your country. :pray:

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Argue posted:

Won't anyone think of the poor persecuted fascists? :(

Edit: here's a crappy cam vid of it. if you don't want to click, it's a PROMOTIONAL AD for MARTIAL LAW

https://www.facebook.com/freethinkers/videos/10154667075652686/

Looks like Duterte's administration has been getting tips from North Korea on how to work their propaganda game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Here's a clearer version of it:

https://www.facebook.com/prmcb/vide..._video_guests=0

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
One man's Trump is another man's Duterte. :( What a time to be alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gotta erase civil rights to protect you from those uh

M14s