Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

The Bee posted:

I think the idea is that from now on, multiples weapons don't give you extra attacks unless the weapon specifically says. That said, having 3 scything talons would make more sense if you could replace at least one pair of them.

Yeah, I'm getting very confused with the whole "multiple weapons that give additional attacks" thing.

Let's take Warp Talons as an example:

The main rules say that you choose which weapon you fight with if you have multiple, so a regular Warp Talon (with one attack) chooses one of his Lightning Claws and gets an extra attack with that claw only, two attacks total?

The rules also say that, if you have multiple attacks, you can split them between your melee weapons, that would mean that the Warp Talon *Champion* with 2 attacks, could put 1 attack into each Lightning Claw for four attacks total?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Xarlaxas posted:

Yeah, I'm getting very confused with the whole "multiple weapons that give additional attacks" thing.

Let's take Warp Talons as an example:

The main rules say that you choose which weapon you fight with if you have multiple, so a regular Warp Talon (with one attack) chooses one of his Lightning Claws and gets an extra attack with that claw only, two attacks total?

The rules also say that, if you have multiple attacks, you can split them between your melee weapons, that would mean that the Warp Talon *Champion* with 2 attacks, could put 1 attack into each Lightning Claw for four attacks total?

Lightning claws give you one total extra attack if you have two of them. A chainsword doesn't give you an additional attack when you use the chainsword, instead it says if you have a chainsword then each time you fight you can make an extra attack using the chainsword. So an A2 model with a power fist and chainsword could make 2 power fist attacks and 1 chainsword attack.

Similarly, the lightning claws say that if the model is equipped with two, the model can make one additional attack using them.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 1, 2017

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Any recommended places to order the box set from once preorders start? Like any sites / stores known to have something like 15-25% off MSRP and/or free shipping?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Geoff Zahn posted:

Any recommended places to order the box set from once preorders start? Like any sites / stores known to have something like 15-25% off MSRP and/or free shipping?

This would also be cool for me.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Okay so it's not finished but it looks finished from this side and I'm so :swoon: over how it looks in person.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I'm not really finding any web sites that still 40k stuff, other than the war store who you have to contact to get a price list and place an order, because of the GW online retailer policy that just got partially reversed last year, but the new policy limits to a 15% discount.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

I'm not really finding any web sites that still 40k stuff, other than the war store who you have to contact to get a price list and place an order, because of the GW online retailer policy that just got partially reversed last year, but the new policy limits to a 15% discount.

They have a cart now but I think I'm done ordering from them. Neal always fixes stuff however I noticed a pattern of needing him to fix every single order I ever made. (And the three other people I play with as well)

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

General Olloth posted:

Okay so it's not finished but it looks finished from this side and I'm so :swoon: over how it looks in person.

This is phenomenal.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yeah, that looks fantastic.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
For reference, one of those quarter hull sections is about 4 hours for the lines (2 per side of it)

So I got about 10 hours to go to finish the model, because I need to do the lines on the other two quarters you can't see in the back right now, a couple pieces on the inside, and the scarabs on the inside of the hulls.

When I get all finished I'll have my wife get the more professional photo stuff setup.

Also someday I might go back and do brighter highlights at the sharpest corners on the line highlighting but thinking about that right now makes me :shepicide:

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

chutche2 posted:

Lightning claws give you one total extra attack if you have two of them. A chainsword doesn't give you an additional attack when you use the chainsword, instead it says if you have a chainsword then each time you fight you can make an extra attack using the chainsword. So an A2 model with a power fist and chainsword could make 2 power fist attacks and 1 chainsword attack.

Similarly, the lightning claws say that if the model is equipped with two, the model can make one additional attack using them.

You're right with the claws, in the Space Marine book it says "if a model is armed with two lightning claws, each time it fights it can make 1 additional attack with them."

But, in the Chaos book, it says "each time the bearer fights, it can make 1 additional attack with this weapon."

In the case of the chainsword, I'm pretty sure you'd have to actually use one of your base attacks to get the benefit as the wording for the chainsword is the same as the Warp Talons' Lightning Claw. So, your example of the 2A with Power Fist and chainsword should allow: 1 fist and 2 chainsword attacks, 2 fist attacks, or 3 chainsword attacks.

Ultimately, we've learned that GW failed at copy and paste and we can start preparing the FAQ list now. :downs:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TKIY posted:

Yup. They can move and advance, move and advance with the Swarmlord power in the shooting phase, then charge.

The tyranid psyker power Onslaught says they can charge after they advance and shoot, but the Swarmlord power just says you can move again, it doesn't mention charging, so I assume if you advance you can't charge. (Unless you get both the psyker power and the swarmlord buff)

So like I said, its move advance move advance, OR, move move charge. But that's still good.

Xarlaxas posted:

You're right with the claws, in the Space Marine book it says "if a model is armed with two lightning claws, each time it fights it can make 1 additional attack with them."

But, in the Chaos book, it says "each time the bearer fights, it can make 1 additional attack with this weapon."

In the case of the chainsword, I'm pretty sure you'd have to actually use one of your base attacks to get the benefit as the wording for the chainsword is the same as the Warp Talons' Lightning Claw. So, your example of the 2A with Power Fist and chainsword should allow: 1 fist and 2 chainsword attacks, 2 fist attacks, or 3 chainsword attacks.

Ultimately, we've learned that GW failed at copy and paste and we can start preparing the FAQ list now. :downs:

It says "the bearer fights" not "the bearer attacks with this weapon" so I don't think that's right. 2 fist and 1 chainsword, or 3 chainsword.

But yeah they need to test this stuff and clean up the wording, its way too confusing.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 1, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Do Death Company with two Chainswords get 4 attacks with them, then?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Strobe posted:

Do Death Company with two Chainswords get 4 attacks with them, then?

If they have 2 base attacks, yes. Two chainswords means +2 attacks on top of whatever is listed.

Unless there is a "Pair of Chainswords" entry in the index.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm going to make a Catachan Sarge and buy him 50 chainswords.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

It says "the bearer fights" not "the bearer attacks with this weapon" so I don't think that's right. 2 fist and 1 chainsword, or 3 chainsword.

But yeah they need to test this stuff and clean up the wording, its way too confusing.

I think the idea is that you only get the special benefit of a weapon if you fight with it, which is why they make you split your attacks by weapon.

The logic for the Power Fist and chainsword on a dude with two attacks would be as follows:

Two attacks to the Power Fist at -1 to hit.

OR

One attack to the Power Fist at -1 to hit and one attack with the chainsword (granting the bonus chainsword attack) at regular to hit value

OR

Two attacks to the chainsword, triggering the additional free attack, making it three attacks total.

I think....

Also, the Chosen have their Lightning Claw rules written same as in the Space Marine book, so it seems Warp Talons just have an incorrect entry.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
My turn for interesting things?

True 'Demons' Demon Prince is different than the CSM/Hetetical Demon Prince. Not by a lot, but in subtle ways.
  • The CSM one is W8 LD10, versus the True Demon one who is W10 LD9.

• The CSM one gets the False emperor rule (granting extra attacks on 6s to hit) instead of the 'demon of ___' rule all the other true demons get. (+1S for charging/getting charged/Intervention; Always hit first; +1 inv sv; 5+FNP that can ignore mortal wounds)

• The CSM one can buff like-aligned CSM models and like-aligned Demon models. The True Demon one only buffs other like-aligned demons.

• The CSM one does not have the Ritual rule, so it may not be selected as an option to summon, while the true demon one is.

• The CSM ones that are psykers must choose from Heretical powers but the True Demon ones get to pick from the god-specific tables.

• The CSM one and the True Demon one are exactly the same point costs, even wargear and options are the same. But the CSM one is 'Power' 10 while the Demon one is 11.

I think it is kinda cool you can have a 180pt demonprince with wings hiding around normal CSM units now. He is one hell of a counter-charge unit, especially since he has the Intervention power.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
What happens when one thing with always hits first charges something else with always hits first? :psyduck:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Xarlaxas posted:

I think the idea is that you only get the special benefit of a weapon if you fight with it, which is why they make you split your attacks by weapon.

The logic for the Power Fist and chainsword on a dude with two attacks would be as follows:

Two attacks to the Power Fist at -1 to hit.

OR

One attack to the Power Fist at -1 to hit and one attack with the chainsword (granting the bonus chainsword attack) at regular to hit value

OR

Two attacks to the chainsword, triggering the additional free attack, making it three attacks total.

I think....

Also, the Chosen have their Lightning Claw rules written same as in the Space Marine book, so it seems Warp Talons just have an incorrect entry.

Well Warp Talons only use Lightning Claws so it's not as big a deal there. But yeah a bit odd.

Hamshot posted:

What happens when one thing with always hits first charges something else with always hits first? :psyduck:

It says if they are charged it goes to alternating activation's.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Hamshot posted:

What kind of stuff has always strikes (is it hits now?) first? Eldar?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

WhiteOutMouse posted:

My turn for interesting things?

True 'Demons' Demon Prince is different than the CSM/Hetetical Demon Prince. Not by a lot, but in subtle ways.
  • The CSM one is W8 LD10, versus the True Demon one who is W10 LD9.

• The CSM one gets the False emperor rule (granting extra attacks on 6s to hit) instead of the 'demon of ___' rule all the other true demons get. (+1S for charging/getting charged/Intervention; Always hit first; +1 inv sv; 5+FNP that can ignore mortal wounds)

• The CSM one can buff like-aligned CSM models and like-aligned Demon models. The True Demon one only buffs other like-aligned demons.

• The CSM one does not have the Ritual rule, so it may not be selected as an option to summon, while the true demon one is.

• The CSM ones that are psykers must choose from Heretical powers but the True Demon ones get to pick from the god-specific tables.

• The CSM one and the True Demon one are exactly the same point costs, even wargear and options are the same. But the CSM one is 'Power' 10 while the Demon one is 11.

I think it is kinda cool you can have a 180pt demonprince with wings hiding around normal CSM units now. He is one hell of a counter-charge unit, especially since he has the Intervention power.
Be'lakkor the first Demon Prices is also a bit more like the CSM one and actually has less wounds then the true Demon one.

JBP posted:

Slannesh Deamons and Banshees

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Hamshot posted:

They mention this somewhere... It goes by whose turn it is then.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
drat, I thought I found the equivalent of a divide by zero error.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

PantsOptional posted:

RIP power armor inquisitors, apparently.

Inquisitors seem pretty garbage now. 55 points base, they get to choose a pistol and a ranged or melee weapon (but not both!) No power armor or any other upgrades. I guess they can be a psyker for free now though? I'd rather have all the customization instead.

Also why would anyone ever take wyrdvane psykers over an astropath? For 15 points the Astropath removes the cover bonus from an enemy unit within 18" and can actually have a decent chance of casting his non-smite power. A minimum size unit of wyrdvane psykers costs 24 points and can't pass psychic tests worth a poo poo. For 48 points they can be slightly better at passing psychic tests but still worse than a regular psyker...until they get blown off the board because they're T3 models that can't hide like a character can. I guess they don't have a chance of rolling perils and dying from that at least?

Primaris psyker seems ok but his improved statline and force stave isn't really worth paying 40 points when he still isn't going to do well in real combat and I could just get two astropaths for 30 points and cast two powers instead of one.

An astropath backing up a Leman Russ or conscript blob with psychic barrier would be pretty sweet for really cheap.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
The astropath costs 21, but yeah. Seems good.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

chutche2 posted:

The astropath costs 21, but yeah. Seems good.

Switch his staff out for a laspistol and save 6 points. He's got a better chance of hurting something with the laspistol anyway.

edit:
Ministorum priests are about the same as before, so meh, but even less potentially useful now that regular guard blobs are gone. Might be ok-ish with bullgryns now actually!

Techpriests are much more resilient than before and don't have to pay the servitor tax to repair stuff. Not too bad not too good either. Why is a servo arm 12 points???

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 1, 2017

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

JBP posted:

Not Dark Eldar, the literal ninja pirates in space, thats for sure. Starting to get the feeling someone has a bigger hateboner for them than the one Cruddace has for Tyranids.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

How does chaos work with the new keywords? Would I be able to run IG as traitor guard alongside chaos Marines? After reading​ Cadian Blood, I would really like a mixed force like that.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Something people are going to find really surprising to deal with this edition is the -1 penalty for moving heavy weapons. There's tons of units that will be less effective than people think unless they stay still (even IG superheavy tanks are generally hitting on 5+ if they move). I haven't checked every army yet, but rules like PotMS do seem to be quite rare.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

HardCoil posted:

How does chaos work with the new keywords? Would I be able to run IG as traitor guard alongside chaos Marines? After reading​ Cadian Blood, I would really like a mixed force like that.

For battle forged chaos includes marines and daemons and that's it. Stuff like traitor guard would have to be a future supplement.

xtothez posted:

Something people are going to find really surprising to deal with this edition is the -1 penalty for moving heavy weapons. There's tons of units that will be less effective than people think unless they stay still (even IG superheavy tanks are generally hitting on 5+ if they move). I haven't checked every army yet, but rules like PotMS do seem to be quite rare.

As opposed to only being able to fire if you stand still?? They're going to be way more effective than in 7th, not less. I guess that'd be a change for vehicles but I bet they have an exception for heavy weapons.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Zaphod, I don't see that vehicles do have any special rule ref firing heavy weapons. If anything, leman Russes have a special rule saying just that for their turret weapon only, implying that most vehicles do take the penalty.

xtothez posted:

You're not wrong. I find it quite hard to consider all the changes at once. It's very easy to slip into thinking 'oh, well that's much better now' based on stats, points costs, or one special rule, when actually the context things operate in is wholly different. Like I assume most long term players, there are a lot of core assumptions, like the inability of vehicles to assault (and more recently their extreme vulnerability to it) which I need to shed before I can readjust to accurately telling at a glance what's good or what's poo poo. Which most of us could almost instantly with the previous rules, so I'm glad to see a shake up of any stripe.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I'm like a week behind on Chaplain chat but here's some fukken Chaplains (phone camera + crap lighting + zero set-up for picture taking of hams, DON'T JUDGE ME)

Lemartes came out so dark :/

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

HardCoil posted:

I hope forgeworld re-redo their traitor guard rules they had redone for IA13 and/or siege of vraks version 2. We'll find out by the end of the month when they release their chaos book.

xtothez posted:

Well, leman russ tanks have a rule letting them shoot their ordinance gun without penalty. :shrug:

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Base Trygons are 175, Trygon Primes are 214, Mawlocs are 165

They're pricey, yeah. But seem pretty beefy too?

Still cheaper than a Tyrant or Tervigon.

Couple of pages back but I priced up a base Trygon at 164 (103 for the model, 60 for the talons, 1 for the toxinspike). How'd you get 175?

(Apologies if you addressed this and I missed it)

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I'm glad this straightforward new presentation of points makes working out the base cost of a model so simple.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Hamshot posted:

I hope forgeworld re-redo their traitor guard rules they had redone for IA13 and/or siege of vraks version 2. We'll find out by the end of the month when they release their chaos book.

Cool, I didn't realize they made those for 40K

Hamshot posted:

Well, leman russ tanks have a rule letting them shoot their ordinance gun without penalty. :shrug:

Is there seriously no difference between a guy and a dreadnought carrying a heavy weapon?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Fuegan posted:

Couple of pages back but I priced up a base Trygon at 164 (103 for the model, 60 for the talons, 1 for the toxinspike). How'd you get 175?

(Apologies if you addressed this and I missed it)

You've missed the bio-electric pulse.

Which is the big problem with the new points system really, it's ok for marines or whoever with fairly basic/standard wargear options, but it's a massive pain for anything like a TMC with multiple loadouts and a bunch of uniquely named equipment. I've been transferring a few of my lists over to 8th points values and I constantly feel like I'm missing paying for stuff.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

ro5s posted:

Which is the big problem with the new points system really, it's ok for marines or whoever with fairly basic/standard wargear options, but it's a massive pain for anything like a TMC with multiple loadouts and a bunch of uniquely named equipment. I've been transferring a few of my lists over to 8th points values and I constantly feel like I'm missing paying for stuff.

Ah poo poo, of course I did. Probably wouldn't have been an issue had I waited until more than just the price list and my lovely memory were available.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Feel like I found an error, not a huge one but Kairos Fateweaver doesn't have Ephemeral Form like every other Tzeentch Daemon (Including a normal Lord of Change). I doubt that was intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

ro5s posted:

Fuegan posted:

Ah poo poo, of course I did. Probably wouldn't have been an issue had I waited until more than just the price list and my lovely memory were available.

If it helps, I made a list of the cheapest possible builds of several nid units using all the mandatory options:

Hive Tyrant 2 x Monstrous Rending Claws, Prehensile tail 144
Flying Hive Tyrant 2 x Monstrous Rending Claws, Prehensile tail 171
Tervigon Massive Scytals, Stinger salvo 250
Hive Guard Shockcannon 39
Maleceptor Massive Scytals 184
Lictor Flesh hooks, grasp. talons, rending claws 45
Pyrovore Flamespurt, acid maw 42
Haruspex Grasp. tongue, rav. maw, shovelling claws 282
Tyrannocyte 5 x Deathspitter 138
Trygon Triple Scytals, bioelec pulse, Toxinspike 175
Trygon Prime Triple Scytals, contain. spines, toxinspike 210
Carnifex 2 x Scytals, Bone mace 89