Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
When I was a smallen' I used to think that the reason Knuckles was laid down panting for air in Sky Sanctuary Zone was because Knuckles needed the energy of the Master Emerald to live. That is why he is the guardian, not as a contractual obligation but because he is dependent on the Emeralds power but hey SEGA don't let 9 year old me stop you from taking away more agency to stop Dr Eggman/Robotknik just sayin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

beep by grandpa posted:

I hope Mania is full of secrets.

there will be the faintest hints of a hidden palace zone that people will speculate about for decades.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

MikeJF posted:

The creators put up a longer version of the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnfNWe-HHsI

Almost forgot, thanks for this, I love this so god drat much.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Gammatron 64 posted:

They should have just called Sonic Mania "Sonic 4". Sure, there is already another game called Sonic 4, but let's just pretend that one didn't happen.

I mean, it wouldn't be the first time you had totally different games on different systems with the same name. Sonic 1 and 2 for the Genesis and then Game Gear \ Master System were totally different. You had the original DOOM and the new DOOM. Back when Konami was actually a good company, when they "ported" games to other systems, they just made entirely different games with the same name, like Castlevania, Metal Gear, Sparkster and so on.

I would also be ok with them naming it "Real Sonic 4"

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sonic Mania is not Sonic 4 and shouldn't be considered Sonic 4.

One of my main complaints with Sonic 4 ep 1/2 was how it just recycled most of its content from the classic series to cash in on nostalgia and had almost nothing going for it that was exclusively its own. Sonic Mania is doing the exact same thing- only it's doing it extremely well, but let's not forget that even a 10/10 effort nostalgia trip that we are all going to enjoy is not the same thing as a sequel, Sonic friends.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sonic Mania is a celebration :unsmith:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sonic Mania should not be called Sonic 4 in the interests of not giving the Sonic fandom another thing to debate and get angry endlessly about.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They should call it Sonic 5

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Is Knuckles Chaotix a good game? I never had a chance to play it. Does it play like Genesis Sonics or differently? (If differently, how so?)

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Guys, guys. Did you know. That "Miles Prower". Sounds like "Miles Per Hour". Holy poo poo I just discovered this like 6 months ago and it still blows my mind every time I see it.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

It plays like genesis sonic games but it's a bit like CD in being kind of weird about it. You're constantly controlling two characters through basically a stretchy cord (it's a pair of power rings with an energy link, but it behaves like a rubber hose in terms of physics). You can do some creative things via that, but it can take a while to get used to the physics.

IMO it feels a bit more like CD than anything else, and I didn't care for CD, but I wouldn't say it's a bad game. Just a bit odd. Go give it a try though, worst case scenario you don't like it.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

It's not very good. You control two characters that are tethered together by an elastic band and can produce some pretty huge speed and jumps by stretching it, but all the levels are big dull empty spaces

Every character has some kind of climbing or flight move because the levels have a lot of vertical movement (Espio can run on CEILINGS)

Also there are five zones with five acts each and their order is randomly selected, you will be sick of every zone by the time you're done

The good things about Chaotix are 1) the music and 2) the special stages

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Ronnie posted:

When I was a smallen' I used to think that the reason Knuckles was laid down panting for air in Sky Sanctuary Zone was because Knuckles needed the energy of the Master Emerald to live. That is why he is the guardian, not as a contractual obligation but because he is dependent on the Emeralds power but hey SEGA don't let 9 year old me stop you from taking away more agency to stop Dr Eggman/Robotknik just sayin'.

That never crossed my mind back then. I just know that Knucks got his rear end beat by Sonic and then electrocuted by Robotnik almost immediately after and figured he was a bit winded after that.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Cybershell did a video all about Chaotix recently

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Wtf he put out a video 5 hours ago about the Knuckles animation I was talking about here last night :monocle:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Beep by grandpa confirmed for cybershell sockpuppet

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Spacebump posted:

Is Knuckles Chaotix a good game? I never had a chance to play it. Does it play like Genesis Sonics or differently? (If differently, how so?)

Knuckles Chaotix sucks - it feels like the dregs of an unfinished Sonic CD sequel with a pointless two-player elastic gimmick and no level design to speak of. It looks/sounds fine and the characters move and feel like they should but it's completely unmemorable.

Of all the classic-era games, Sonic Mania's aesthetic is most reminiscent of Chaotix, I think.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Wow, cybershell's swearing is unnecessary.

I think we should always refer to it as Sonic Clackers.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Sonic Mania makes me wish there was a proper 2D Sonic for the Saturn. Xtreme/3D Blast were such blunders on so many levels.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I got Sonic 3D Blast for my birthday. I'll never forget the feeling of despair and disappointment that washed over me after about half an hour of playing. This was the future of Sonic. The good times were over.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Also Sonic 3D Blast came out after Super Mario 64 which is loving hilarious.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Was 3D Blast the first game to tie together the Sonic and Flicky canon??

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Was 3D Blast the first game to tie together the Sonic and Flicky canon??

Flicky has been in Sonic since the first game, so no.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Sonic 3D Blast was good though.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I don't think Sonic 3D was bad necessarily. I just don't consider it a proper Sonic game. It certainly wasn't what Sega needed at the time to beat the competition, either.

Fneeb
Feb 13, 2012

Frankston posted:

Also Sonic 3D Blast came out after Super Mario 64 which is loving hilarious.

Did it? I played it on the Mega Drive (or Genesis or whatever) which makes that seem unlikely..

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Fneeb posted:

Did it? I played it on the Mega Drive (or Genesis or whatever) which makes that seem unlikely..
It sounds kind of weird to hear it now now but yeah, it came out at the end of the 16-bit era. 3D Blast released a couple of months after Mario 64 in 1996.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Saturn version of 3D Blast didn't come out in Japan until almost a year after Sonic Adventure.

Fneeb
Feb 13, 2012

J-Spot posted:

It sounds kind of weird to hear it now now but yeah, it came out at the end of the 16-bit era. 3D Blast released a couple of months after Mario 64 in 1996.

drat, it's crazy to think there's that kind of overlap though I guess 32 and 64 both kinda happened at once. I didn't get to Mario for a couple of years after that anyway! I do remember getting through 3D far too quickly relative to previous Sonic games, enjoyed it well enough but after S3&K there just wasn't much there.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Late games happen these days too, they just seem less out of place since publishers usually port them forward mid-development and release them simultaneously. Persona 5 was basically a PS3 game launching in 2017.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I wanted to see a Saturn platformer that expanded on the Sonic World gameplay; it had a lot of potential to be a 3D Blast style exploratory platformer without the limitations of 2D.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Like, if I had to incorporate Shadow into Mania, I would make the central joke of the character be that he doesn't fit. He's ultra-serious in a world that is decidedly not at all serious, and gets constantly taken down a peg for it. This is, to my understanding, also pretty much what the Flynn comics did with him.

This is basically what the Shadow the Hedgehog is to me. He's a giant tryhard but very sincere about it.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

nerdbot posted:

This is basically what the Shadow the Hedgehog is to me. He's a giant tryhard but very sincere about it.

The Archie comics quite simply nail the feel of Team Dark, see also: Omega and literally everything he does.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I like sonic but I'm not a big enough dork to read the comics. Sonic doesn't need a story.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Overbite posted:

I like sonic but I'm not a big enough dork to read the comics. Sonic doesn't need a story.

I read it as a kid and came back to it last month because I kept hearing that it was good now, and the scans of the art from Megadrive convinced me. It's a lot of fun. Ian Flynn works well with the characters and understands that Sonic should been adventure story. He manages to have some good real sincere moments and fun story arcs. It's genuinely enjoyable, and worth your time just to read the way he writes Eggman.

And Thunderbolt is a fantastic character.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It's a drat shame the comic is probably cancelled. I didn't grow up reading the Archie comics (we had our own entirely separate Sonic comics in the UK) but I've been reading them since the reboot and really enjoying them.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Overbite posted:

Holy freaking poo poo, exactly.

Just make Robotnik try to screw everything up making factories all over the place like the huge rear end in a top hat that he is, so that Sonic can run around wrecking everything again. I need zero originality in terms of story, just make Robotnik try harder each time and I'll be happy with it.

Also Shadow doesn't exist. List of characters that exist: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy (barely, she is a Schrödinger's character). All other animals are dumb and exist to be abused by Robotnik and to be saved by the heroes.

BTW, about Sonic Forces. Is the custom hero in the trailer actually... "Ruby Eclipse"?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I love the visuals in Knuckles Chaotix. It really shows off what the 32X was capable of that few games ever really took advantage of. The music and special stages are also great.

Unfortunately yeah, the game has a very unfinished feel - it doesn't even really have an ending, it just stops. Oh course, people on the Internet being people on the Internet and having no sense of nuance, Chaotix gets a worse rap than it deserves. It's a flawed game for sure, but it's not horrible like some say.

I really like the colorful and surreal visual style of Sonic CD and Chaotix and I'm glad that Sonic Mania is keeping that style, but having level layouts more like Sonic 2 and 3.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

The Archie Sonic Comics are super good, but are on indefinite hiatus at best. Still, they did manage the finish the main reboot storyline, so it's worth checking out.

I'd say one of the best things about the comics is that Ian Flynn and company know how to use the wide cast of characters to their full potential. Knowing just who to use and how to use them gives a lot of fun scenarios for them to work with.

I think I've said this once before, but to fully appreciate Sonic you need to look at it holistically. Every part has something to offer, even the bad parts, whether it be genuine fun or amusing absurdity.

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Counterpoint: Sonic Labyrinth