Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

well why not posted:

lmao it's almost sold units as many as the Vita.

After less then a month? drat, I didn't know this. Poor Vita. Still, this shouldn't surprise me, my first reaction after buying my own PSP and hearing about the Vita coming soon was something like "Are those guys insane?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

well why not posted:

It's apparently playable at e3. I bet they're sparing no expense getting that game ready to go. Interesting to see how far along it actually is. I wouldn't even be surprised if it was basically finished already and they're just holding back on it until November.

Speculation says this is pretty much what they've done with all the games so far with the Switch. They've all been ready to go but instead of a dump of games then a drought like the Wii they're doing a trickle to keep up hype

Kind of off topic but related to the phone app chat thing why did Apple get rid of the headphone jack? Is there an audio reason or is it simply now people have to buy an expensive dongle or special headphones that Apple gets a slice of now?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

While this audio setup is baffling it has no real effect on me as I was never going to voice chat anyway. Whether or not I subscribe to their online service depends entirely on value add. What games are they putting out monthly? Will there be something akin to the digital Deluxe program? I enjoy an online MK8 match sometimes but mostly I play single player games. Will look forward to multiplayer coop games when my kid is old enough to play them though.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's more like three months but it's gaining. Vita has been out around 4 years too...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Speculation says this is pretty much what they've done with all the games so far with the Switch. They've all been ready to go but instead of a dump of games then a drought like the Wii they're doing a trickle to keep up hype

Kind of off topic but related to the phone app chat thing why did Apple get rid of the headphone jack? Is there an audio reason or is it simply now people have to buy an expensive dongle or special headphones that Apple gets a slice of now?

All phones must be thinner! Throw off the shackles of your 3.5mm thicknesses!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Yeah that's actually a good point. Splatoon and ARMS are mechanically complete and I suspect that's been the case for a while. They might be adding stuff like extra stages, voice lines etc but the game itself is basically done.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i dont really have an opinion about the nintendo voice app but that hori solution for it looks bad

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If I ever use it I'll just out that poo poo on speaker.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

well why not posted:

lmao at the posters in this thread who are 100% negative and poo poo on the Switch at every turn. Why even be in this thread if you hate it?

cos ive owned every nintendo console outside of the wii u and virtual boy and i want them to make a good console i want to buy again instead of... this

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Why do you even bother doing spaces between words

legibility is important

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I don't use voice chat much but jeez. Like their current plan isn't even a "well they are japan-focused" thing like usual when they make weird things, it's just...bad.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dr. VooDoo posted:

same reason as they got rid of serial ports and dvd drives, old tech that needed to be superceeded a long time ago and so theyre forcing the issue

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its important to note that although that splatoon audio solution is being made by hori its clearly nintendo supported as the headset will be available as an in game cosmetic item. the bigger question is if this is going to be the only option for this or if there will be something more generic available as well because there are other multiplayer games other than splatoon coming to the switch

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

i can see the idea behind the voice chat thing, sort of. they want you to sit in your airplane seat playing tetris or w/e with a bt headset connected to your phone. the nintendo app rings, then you switch over to some monhun with your bro. maybe the phone app routes game audio into your headset? or maybe it doesnt.

either way, im sure its ok

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Stux posted:

cos ive owned every nintendo console outside of the wii u and virtual boy and i want them to make a good console i want to buy again instead of... this

Might I recommend the Nintendo Switch, for all your good console needs.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Possible reasons: using the space inside the phone needed for audio jack for something else, waterproofing.

But also "now people have to buy an expensive dongle (okay, one is included in the box) or special headphones (airpods, beats) that Apple gets a slice of now" (normal bluetooth is also an option)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Apple got rid of the headphone jack to sell more of their Bluetooth headphones and free up valuable space in the iPhone, in that order. It's whatever.

Also whatever is the voice chat app -- hardly anyone is going to use it, so multiplayer Nintendo games will continue being multiplayer Nintendo games with that weird "console versions of Overwatch" effect, where the only people rarely talking are exclusively trolling or just talking poo poo. Or broadcasting a hot mic the entire time. I don't want or need voice chat in Nintendo games. That's not to excuse its absence without this corny app and dongles and splitters, though.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

enojy posted:

Apple got rid of the headphone jack to sell more of their Bluetooth headphones and free up valuable space in the iPhone, in that order. It's whatever.

Also whatever is the voice chat app -- hardly anyone is going to use it, so multiplayer Nintendo games will continue being multiplayer Nintendo games with that weird "console versions of Overwatch" effect, where the only people rarely talking are exclusively trolling or just talking poo poo. Or broadcasting a hot mic the entire time. I don't want or need voice chat in Nintendo games. That's not to excuse its absence without this corny app and dongles and splitters, though.

i think the voice chat app will be used by normal people who play console games on a couch or an airplane and not near a computer, which is for loser nerds

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
My hot take is Nintendo is very good when they're not hilariously bad and nobody should voice chat but their solution is laughable.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

enojy posted:

theres tons of mic chat on console versions of overwatch, its just done through the inbuilt party chat function on the console rather than in the public channel

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

nobody should voice chat

what

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

I agree with Stux what a dark day

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bad games like Splatoon 2 have no need for voice chat

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Everyone knows 99.7% of Switch purchases are scalpers trying to resell them at a huge markup. The only unironic purchases are from posters ITT 🙄

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Wheany posted:

Possible reasons: using the space inside the phone needed for audio jack for something else, waterproofing.

But also "now people have to buy an expensive dongle (okay, one is included in the box) or special headphones (airpods, beats) that Apple gets a slice of now" (normal bluetooth is also an option)

They replaced the 3.5mm jack with a second speaker so the audio from the phone directly when playing a video/audio is louder.

I think Apple saw the writing on the wall that it wasn't super necessary anymore because a ton of people are switching to Bluetooth, because you can get cheap Bluetooth headphones that work pretty decently for good prices these days. The only people I still see buy wired buy cheap pieces of poo poo because they destroy them constantly somehow.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

The Black Stones posted:

They replaced the 3.5mm jack with a second speaker so the audio from the phone directly when playing a video/audio is louder.

I think Apple saw the writing on the wall that it wasn't super necessary anymore because a ton of people are switching to Bluetooth, because you can get cheap Bluetooth headphones that work pretty decently for good prices these days. The only people I still see buy wired buy cheap pieces of poo poo because they destroy them constantly somehow.

Non-cat haver spotted.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Just get together with your friends and voice chat on Skype or Discord, it ain't that hard

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

lmao at the idea of someone using voice chat on an aeroplane

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I've been using Discord for playing MK8 online with friends and it's great.

It would be nice if Nintendo offered a convenient, built-in system, but it doesn't really bother me since there are alternatives.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

nintendoswitchonlinevoicechat.jpg

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

The Black Stones posted:

I enjoy having to charge my headphones said nobody ever.

Dropping the 3.5mm jack is the dumbest thing.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Just get together with your friends and voice chat on Skype or Discord, it ain't that hard

This is what I'm saying. It's been probably 3 years since I've used any game or console's built-in VOIP. They're all completely garbage.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

rather have a wire like an idiot slut than charge my headphones once a week said only idiots

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/PorygonNews/status/870278710661971968

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive (on the 19th, so I might try to swap to digital because I'm impatient) so I've only messed around in the demo, but early in the game what's the best way to max out your combo meter? I haven't played since D4 and I forget what non-item world tile flipping tricks existed early on.

It has still been a while since I've played the game in earnest, but I remember that clearing all Geo Panels in a single attack/combo is a pretty easy way to go about it. I have no clue how you would do it in say, the first stage.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

rather have a wire like an idiot slut than charge my headphones once a week said only idiots

Tim Whatley: 100% correct once again.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Yeah, because having to plug in one more device to charge for an hour a week is going to deter people that own iPhones, iPads, other tablets, wireless controllers, drones, and the billion other devices that need to be recharged these days.

Nope, totally right. Headphones, that's where people will draw the line.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I always named Link Tony anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

a.lo posted:

I always named Link Tony anyways

same but asslicker

• Locked thread