Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Is Aaron Hernandez innocent? 🤔
He's dead, which is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Platystemon posted:

Since he died during an appeal, in the eyes of the law he's legally innocent.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Platystemon posted:

Yes, it's literally part of why he killed himself (apparently).

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
apparently the NFL disciplinary process by which he lost his contract pay is extralegal though, so while his conviction was vacated when he died the NFL doesn't have to give his family poo poo.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
"A finding of actual innocence, as that term has come to be used in federal habeas corpus jurisprudence, is not the equivalent of a finding of not guilty by a jury or by a court in a bench trial.” Lambert v. Blackwell, 134 F.3d 506, 509 (3d Cir. 1997).

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Baloogan posted:

...that feel when you are on the wrong side of history ...

you call it thirst

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Baloogan posted:

The only way the USG ever gets better and less tyrannical is going to be through Trump events and dumb poo poo like this.

you cant run a government like a dive bar

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I don't think this has been posted yet. Why are sov cits getting puff pieces?!
http://www.foxla.com/news/local-news/255331221-story

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Lol ya why doesn't he lick the boot and love being a slave because that's normal

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, why would we ever want to regulate who's allowed to drive and what safety standards cars nee--

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

WrenP-Complete posted:

I don't think this has been posted yet. Why are sov cits getting puff pieces?!
http://www.foxla.com/news/local-news/255331221-story

Fox News.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
One of the men involved in the standoff at the Bundy Ranch, Gerald DeLemus, has been sentenced to seven years in prison. He was widely expected to get six years after pleading guilty last year, but the judge imposed a longer sentence because she felt he hadn't expressed any remorse for his actions, terming him a "bully vigilante".

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Main Paineframe posted:

One of the men involved in the standoff at the Bundy Ranch, Gerald DeLemus, has been sentenced to seven years in prison. He was widely expected to get six years after pleading guilty last year, but the judge imposed a longer sentence because she felt he hadn't expressed any remorse for his actions, terming him a "bully vigilante".

I bet being called that made him so happy, like he puffed out his chest and thought "about time someone finally respects me" because these people are so loving deluded that "bully vigilante" is a badge of honor.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yes, it's literally part of why he killed himself (apparently).

I thought it was the spice induced psychosis that did him in?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i havent followed this at all but it took them this long to hand out a sentence? jeez america

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Relin posted:

i havent followed this at all but it took them this long to hand out a sentence? jeez america

IMO we would have had them stoned for sorcery or at a minimum stoned for adultery.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Judge rejects refuge occupier Jason Patrick's motion to be released from jail

quote:

U.S. District Judge Anna J. Brown on Friday denied Oregon refuge occupier Jason Patrick's request to be released from jail, skeptical that he'd follow court-imposed conditions if let out of custody before sentencing.

Though prosecutors did not object to Patrick's motion for release, Brown said she was troubled by his past record: Patrick's "insolent and disrespectful'' behavior in court during trial, the three times he was late and then spoke back to the judge at trial, his difficulty gaining entry to the courthouse because of his lack of any personal photo ID, his prior pronouncement that he would rather sit in jail than wear a electronic anklet for GPS monitoring, and his underlying federal conspiracy conviction.

"This is a man who does not respect the authority of the United States courts or federal law generally,'' Brown said. "This is a man who chooses which rules he wants to follow.''

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Good.

And Speed 2 sucked.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Fiend posted:

IMO we would have had them stoned for sorcery or at a minimum stoned for adultery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46lKvk08L1s

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/w-joseph-astarita-charged-lying-shots-fired-lavoy-finicum

lol

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

loving moron.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Why. Why would you lie about that? A vehicle that just fled from law enforcement was speeding towards your road block. You're (federal) law enforcement, saying you fired at a vehicle in that situation is going to have pretty much every pro-cop person in the country support your actions. Instead it just adds fuel to the fire for these anti-government conspiracy assholes.

loving moron.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol at being dumber than everyone else involved in this poo poo show

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jose posted:

lol at being dumber than everyone else involved in this poo poo show

A few revisions ago, the subtitle for the British election/britpol thread was "a never-ending conveyor belt of morons," which I'm increasingly inclined to think works here as well.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

https://twitter.com/RogerJStoneJr/status/886672186366320640

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i loving hope he doesnt but knowing our luck he will the fuckers the medal of freedom.

anyway, i just finished listning to the 4 part series last podcast on the left made about OK city bombing. it loving angers me to the core that old tim probaly got help from the various militia movements/hard right groups and there was a decent amount of evidence for it, but the FBI/ATF were to scared to do anything about it. the had plenty of opportunities to wipe these mongrels out but they never take it and now they have enough pull that they helped get trump elected.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

it's amazing how the vaunted professionalism of the FBI comes apart at the seams the second they're not entrapping mentally ill muslim teens with RC airplane-based terror plots

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i loving hope he doesnt but knowing our luck he will the fuckers the medal of freedom.

anyway, i just finished listning to the 4 part series last podcast on the left made about OK city bombing. it loving angers me to the core that old tim probaly got help from the various militia movements/hard right groups and there was a decent amount of evidence for it, but the FBI/ATF were to scared to do anything about it. the had plenty of opportunities to wipe these mongrels out but they never take it and now they have enough pull that they helped get trump elected.

I hope he does it and the whole gaggle of gun toting hicks shows up to occupy the White House

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Halloween decoration ideas in the comments.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Halloween decoration ideas in the comments.

Next volume of Overlord is looking good.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
http://www.lasvegasnow.com/news/ari...witter_8NewsNow

Gonna be real funny in 2047 when this shithead is still in prison and Ammon Bundy is secretary of the interior.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is this right? Surely they meant 68 months.

quote:

Arizona man sentenced to 68 years in prison for Bundy standoff

LAS VEGAS - An Arizona man was sentenced to 68 years in prison for his role in an armed standoff that stopped federal agents from rounding up cattle near Cliven Bundy's ranch in 2014.

Gregory Burleson of Phoenix was sentenced in Las Vegas on Wednesday after being found guilty of eight criminal charges. They included threatening and assaulting a federal officer, carrying a weapon as part of a crime of violence, obstruction and traveling across state lines in aid of extortion.

The 53-year-old Burleson was one of two defendants found guilty of some charges by a U.S. District Court jury that failed to reach verdicts for four other defendants.

Todd Engel of Idaho is due for sentencing Sept. 28.

The other four co-defendants are being retried, while Bundy and other defendants remain jailed pending trial later.

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/news/arizona-man-sentenced-to-68-years-in-prison-for-bundy-standoff/775174700

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
No it's right

quote:

Bundy supporter Burleson sentenced to 68 years in prison

Gregory Burleson, a member of Arizona militia groups who participated in the 2014 armed standoff in Bunkerville, was sentenced Wednesday to more than 68 years in federal prison.

During the standoff, which resulted in federal agents deserting an operation to round up rancher Cliven Bundy’s cattle, Burleson was photographed with a long gun, moving around the sandy wash where Bureau of Land Management agents were headquartered.

After the standoff, he posted incendiary, anti-government messages on Facebook. “I was hell bent on killing federal agents that had turned their back on we the people,” he told an undercover FBI agent who posed as a documentary filmmaker in order to interview him.

“Yes, I said a lot of crazy things. I’m ashamed of them actually,” the 53-year-old Burleson said in court Wednesday. “Looking back at them, it’s like, ‘wow, obviously I shouldn’t drink.’”

Burleson was given two drinks before his undercover interview, and he told the judge several times Wednesday that he has a drinking problem. His health has deteriorated since the standoff in April 2014 — he now is blind, suffers from seizures, and requires the use of a wheelchair.

The 68-year-and-three-month sentence imposed by U.S. District Judge Gloria Navarro was markedly lower than the 87 years prosecutors had requested. Navarro took into account Burleson’s physical impairment and his alcoholism in reaching her decision. The term exceeds the sentence requested by defense lawyer Terrence Jackson, who asked the court to impose a sentence lower than the mandatory minimum of 57 years.

Burleson also was ordered to pay $1.5 million in restitution to the government, to reimburse taxpayers for the labor and contractor costs of the failed cattle impoundment operation.

Burleson was convicted by jury in April of eight counts, which included assault, threats, extortion, obstruction of justice, and multiple gun charges.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/bundy-blm/bundy-supporter-burleson-sentenced-to-68-years-in-prison/

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Good. One down, far too many to go.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The thing about federal trials is that when you gamble and lose, you get hosed.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

Good. One down, far too many to go.

I just want Sheriff Joe Arpaio underground

Preferably by tertiary syphilis and not someone making him a martyr by shooting him in his loving hideous face

e: the Obama administration had him under investigation but I bet Trombopaline had that shut down

he does seem to hate Mexicans

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Should have been 69 years.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Michael Emry sentenced to 2.5 years in federal prison for machine gun possession

Michael Emry was sentenced Wednesday to 21/2 years in prison after pleading guilty to possessing a fully automatic .50-caliber machine gun that he brought to Oregon in a van loaned to him by Ammon Bundy, one of the leaders in the armed takeover of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

Emry, 55, of John Day admitted that he stole the machine gun from a man in Idaho, obliterated its serial number and traveled with it from Idaho to Oregon in December 2015 in Bundy's van. He, Bundy, Ryan Payne and others stayed in a house in Burns at that time, according to the prosecutor.

"I would like you to know how sorry I am this happened and hope you give me a chance to go to work,'' Emry wrote to U.S. District Judge Ann L. Aiken in a two-page letter.

He said he wants to work as an auto mechanic, rebuilding motor homes. "All I have is my heart and my word that this man will never break the rules ever again," he said.

On Jan. 11, 2016, Emry told a Deschutes County sheriff's deputy at a law enforcement checkpoint at the Burns airport that a .50-caliber belt-fed machine gun was on the refuge, according to a court filing by Assistant U.S. Attorney Nathan Lichvarcik.

The deputy perceived Emry's statement as an attempt to intimidate law enforcement during the occupation of the eastern Oregon refuge.

A confidential source told the FBI that it was a good thing law enforcement seized the machine gun from Emry because Oregon standoff defendant Darryl Thorn had wanted another refuge occupier to retrieve the machine gun from Emry and had asked for training on how to use it, the federal prosecutor wrote. Thorn was subsequently convicted of federal conspiracy and other misdemeanor charges in the refuge takeover.

Before FBI agents executed the search warrant on his trailer in John Day on May 6, 2016, Emry had been negotiating to sell the Browning M2 machine gun in Oregon to an undercover law enforcement officer who posed as a convicted felon and captain of a Texas militia group, Lichvarcik wrote in the court filing.

Emry told agents that the gun was fully automatic and could fire between 550 and 650 rounds per minute, according to federal prosecutors.

Emry's defense lawyer noted that Emry is the primary income earner for himself and his longtime girlfriend, who is disabled. Emry, skilled as a mechanic, electrician and machinist, adopted "a more academic than utilitarian interest in guns'' and was one described by a former federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agent as "the Picasso of machine guns,'' wrote Lynn Shepard, Emry's defense lawyer, in his sentencing memo.

According to his lawyer, Emry went to the refuge as a journalist to cover the occupation and report any problems that arose on both sides of the conflict.

"He wound up possessing the firearm as a way to make money and establish the trust of the cooperating witness in the case,'' Shepard wrote. It required special ammunition that Emry didn't possess, Shepard noted.

"Despite his talents, he intends to have nothing further to do with journalism, firearms or the firearms trade,'' Shepard wrote. "He does not want to be involved in anything like this again.''

Emry was sentenced in U.S. District Court in Eugene.

A conviction for possession of a machine gun brings a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison, a $10,000 fine and three years of supervised release. The sentence imposed resulted from a plea deal.

"I applaud federal and state law enforcement officers for their swift and decisive action in removing a very dangerous weapon from the community,'' said Billy J. Williams, Oregon's U.S. attorney. "Transporting stolen weapons is a serious crime and will be met with equally serious consequences."

The case was investigated by the FBI, the ATF and Oregon State Police.

Bundy was acquitted of federal conspiracy and weapons charges after a five-week trial in Portland last fall. Payne, who pleaded guilty to the conspiracy charge, awaits sentencing. Emry was never charged with conspiracy stemming from the refuge occupation.

-- Maxine Bernstein

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2017/07/michael_emry_sentenced_to_2_12.html

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

"was one described by a former federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agent as "the Picasso of machine guns,'' wrote Lynn Shepard, Emry's defense lawyer, in his sentencing memo."

He puts the nose on sideways? I'm not sure that was a compliment, Lynn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/Patztense/status/890729434751303680

Note the responses.