Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I just noticed that the link to games on Steam has the name of the game itself in the URL.
Isn't that a new thing?

Eg. http://store.steampowered.com/app/490450/Tokyo_42/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Fart of Presto posted:

I just noticed that the link to games on Steam has the name of the game itself in the URL.
Isn't that a new thing?

Eg. http://store.steampowered.com/app/490450/Tokyo_42/

Got added about a month ago

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
The old-style URLs (dropping the title) still work, if you ever want to bury the lede.

e.g. http://store.steampowered.com/app/490450/

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Crabtree posted:

Yeah, the fun with Gothic-likes is a gritty action-adventure RPG (not sophisticated in any sense, just feels like a 70s-80s sword and sorcery flick) that's all about giving you an environment to break over your knee and play how you want. Witcher took this and actually made a AAA game out of it, but for those that sort of like that kind of jank, its alright if they actually loving put effort into even making the game deliver what its supposed to. Hopefully they won't have a wild hair up their rear end to try and make incredibly tone deaf European social commentary again like what happened in Risen 2.
Risen 3 was godawful too. Unless it's back to the spirit of Gothic 1, 2 & Risen 1, it's going to blow just like their last couple games.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Kragger99 posted:

Yeah, I ran idlemaster for about 5 days and made ~$33 in card sales. The only thing is after so long it wanted to run all the games left to idle at once. I just restarted it and it went back to one game at a time.
I think running all at once might still be okay, but I didn't want to chance it with all the asinine decisions Valve has made recently.

It only runs games all at once for stuff with less than two hours, which I thought was a pretty nice change.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Alvora Tactics made it out of Greenlight and onto Steam at long last. It's by the same dude who made Voidspire Tactics.

Also oh hey, Production Line is out. It's in EA, but it looks like it's pretty polished already.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 1, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Hey, how is the walking dead game; the new one? If I disliked the second season and didn't give a poo poo enough to try the michonne spinoff, should I even bother with this season 3? I loved season 1, for what it's worth.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Drifter posted:

If I disliked the second season and didn't give a poo poo enough to try the michonne spinoff, should I even bother with this season 3?

Nope! Just don't.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Morter posted:

I don't think I've had a game trailer give me chills in a long time.

There's what sounds like a direct sample from one of the main JSRF tracks in this video and I got also chills when I heard it.

On the other hand, at 1:07 they show some kind of stealth sequence. That seems troubling.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

hmmm, gamers are kind of revolting I guess

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There are two Hideki Naganuma tracks in the game and if it sells well they hope to commission some more (the trailer music is one of them)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

END ME SCOOB posted:

Nope! Just don't.

Haha, fair enough. Off my mind.
Have you played any of the Guardians of the Galaxy one?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I think Jet Set Radio has good music but it's totally miserable to play ok byyyyeee

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is the story in Hover as groanworthy as its subtitle, or is it out of the way for the most part?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

School's out, there's a sale around the corner, I've been pointing and clicking for months, it's dark, and I'm wearing sunglasses. It's high time for a new series, and I'm calling this one

You may recall the esteemed Accordion Man did his own March of Adventure last year, which you should definitely check out if you missed it. Mine's going to be a little different, both in that we'll only have maybe three games in common and that I'm doing ONLY point-and-click adventures here. I'm also not doing the full 30 this time, I'm sad to say. These games are just too dense and tough to marathon, so the magic number for June is 22. That's one review every weekday, so I get to rest on the weekends (and spend more time playing the things).

Reviews will go up around 8am PST every day, both here and on Steam. Feel free to drop by my curation group and join things and check out old series like last year's Summer of Sim (which I wish I could do again but I'd have to buy a LOT of sims to round out the library) and thumbs up reviews so the horrible mutants of the Steam community get to see them and thumbs them back down. And by all means, share your thoughts on the games I cover because they're going to be all over the place and you might really like something I hate, and vice versa.

It's gonna be a party, and everyone's invited! First review goes up in just a few hours!

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Is the story in Hover as groanworthy as its subtitle, or is it out of the way for the most part?

I put about four hours in so far, and to be honest, I'm not totally sure if the game has a story? It's got a premise, and it's got some characters who ask you to do poo poo, but nothing has actually happened so far that could be described as a plot. For sure some of that is on me, as I went through and did some very lengthy sign hunting stuff for a good portion of that, but the pacing of the "main quest" is really strange.

It basically drops you straight into an open world after a clumsy tutorial and the general idea that you should head to their secret base in the sewers at some point. The jerk at the door of the sewer tells you to go hit rank 100 and come back, which you do by doing various objectives some of the npcs ask you to do like tag propaganda posters and beat them in races and the like. Once you do that you get access to the sewers and the game tells you that the base is hidden in the sewers somewhere and to go find it. I did, and talked to the leader, who immediately told me to gently caress off until I won all the race/gameball challenges that are also down in the sewer. I've put like a dozen attempts so far into the first race (which is fairly long, mind you) and haven't really gotten close to beating it, and that's only the first of six or so challenges if I'm interpreting the area correctly. It seems to me like a very demanding bit of content to put before there are any real plot hooks, so I don't know if they just aren't interested in telling a story or if they just don't understand pacing. :shrug:

The characters/dialogue within the incidental objectives are sort of on the border of groan-worthy and dull. Nothing too egregious so far, but nothing really interesting either.

It's a very odd game overall. The actual gameplay, level design, and soundtrack are all top notch, but it's saddled with a bloated stat/experience/loot system, and terrible ui in addition to the strange quest design mentioned above. Not sure I could whole-heartedly recommend it yet, but I am having fun with it.

Perpetual fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jun 1, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm really disappointed this didn't end up being a remake of the Win95 install CD game Hover!

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I must have watched that Weezer video dozens of times as a kid.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!

Elendil004 posted:

Any thoughts on Tokyo 42? Came out today I guess?

It's good. Camera controls can be a bit fiddly, but the play is breezy, death not punishing, respawning instantaneous.

Gunplay takes a bit of getting used to, but can be really satisfying and it feels like it has a high skill ceiling.

The world is really really nice and alive and there's loads of little environmental puzzles which are fun to figure out. Also a lot of little exploits and tricks to find and work out. Music's good too.

People are saying there's about 10 hours of single player story, I'm a couple of hours in and enjoying it, though I hear the difficulty spikes later/has frustrating bits.

Only played a couple of games of multiplayer so far and that looks ace. You start off as civilians in a crowd and have to quietly pick up guns and ammo and track down the other players. But I'm still crap at the bullethell shooting, so after the tense start I die fast.

Not for everyone, but definitely worth a look if it looks interesting to you. You'll know before the two hour refund time if you're bouncing off its camera/gun controls

Lenin Riefenstahl fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 1, 2017

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Well, God drat it. I can't play anything on Steam now. When I try it offline, every game tells me it's not ready to be played in offline mode. When I play it online, it says my other computer is currently in-game. But it's not. That computer is off. I've restarted both computers; Steam works on that one, but on this one it still thinks the other one is playing loving Action Cactus Jill or whatever the gently caress.

Siiigghhh guess I'll try reinstalling Steam.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

sliderule posted:

I must have watched that Weezer video dozens of times as a kid.

Realtalk I still say "it's not so good, Al" in conversation and probably no one knows what I'm talking about.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I think Jet Set Radio has good music but it's totally miserable to play ok byyyyeee

Sadly I agree now, the gameplay doesn't hold up at all and the levels and objectives are an exercise in frustration.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

exquisite tea posted:

Realtalk I still say "it's not so good, Al" in conversation and probably no one knows what I'm talking about.

I frequently sigh and say "Yeeeeep, yep yep yep yep." when something goes wrong.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://youtu.be/iqL1BLzn3qc Nothing says Windows 95 like Weezer and Edie Brickell.

Edit: What theme did y'all use?!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I really preferred JSR to JSRF. Having pressure on you as you did stunts and painted was a key part, whereas JSRF ended up being a very pretty but middling 3D platformer with nothing else to recommend it on.

Not to say it holds up well but at least JSR had a thing going.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Wow I guess they let cats post on these forums that's very progressive

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Yodzilla posted:

Looks stiff, janky, and bland so yeah I think Gothic/Risen fans will be happy.

e: lol the attempt at platforming and little jet thrusters at 35 minutes

Hell yeah give me all the German jank RPGs.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

1. Primordia

What will the world look like without us humans? More than a few games have speculated on the synthetic future but few are as grim a vision as Primordia. Not even the worst of the brown military shooters can match the muddy wastes and rusting towers of this title. As unappealing as that might sound it's all by design, to make the colorful characters of this adventure shine even brighter against a dim backdrop. And as long as you can get past the dark overtones, you'll find that it really is a brilliant journey.

In the barren wastes of a far-future world we find Horatio Nullbuilt, a humanoid robot who could be mistaken for a tusken raider animatronic. He and his faithful hovering companion, Crispin Horatiobuilt, reside in the ruins of an ancient aircraft that Horatio is intent on restoring to service. Those plans are interrupted in a dramatic way that leads the duo to Metropol, a decaying city of robots in service to an unseen despot. By the end of their adventure, Horatio and Crispin find themselves at the center of a social and political conflict that will determine the fate of the city.

Right away, it should be apparent how much thought went into conceiving of this mechanical world. The naming conventions, the manners of speech, and even the robot designs themselves indicate a deeply developed and stylized world without humans. These robotic denizens define themselves by the builders and functions, and their personalities match to a T. Their digs are just as interesting, with wrecks and ruins re-purposed into mechanized living spaces. It's a living, breathing world of machines that don't even breathe, and the differences are striking and apparent once you get past the pleasant familiarity of the characters.

I really can't say enough good things about the writing, but Lord knows I'm about to try. Plenty of adventure games stumble over stiff scripts and unnatural characters but you'll get none of that in Primordia. Horatio is an excellent mix of gruff and kindly, and his sidekick bubbles and prods in just the right ways to play off of him (and others) without becoming grating. Just the first few scenes should be enough to ingratiate them to you, an important hurdle for any character-driven game. And the supporting cast is delightfully varied and colorful as well, spanning the full range of devout mystics, shift traders, duty-bound servants, and adorable beeping things. There's creativity here that I haven't seen since Planescape: Torment which did a lot to keep me invested in the plot.

On the mechanical side, Primordia again does everything it needs to to keep the puzzles clever and moving. Your inventory allows you to examine and combine items, often with Horatio or Crispin voicing little hints about how an object can best be used. Crispin himself pulls double-duty as a source of hints and a usable object, something you would be wise to remember anytime you spot an item just out of reach. There's also a PDA-type device that tracks important puzzle info and provides a handy map, and while the display is absolutely tiny it gets the job done and is used in some clever ways on its own. At no point did I ever get stuck on any of the puzzles, despite a few that taxed my brain in unexpected ways. There's a really good logic puzzle and a tricky text parser sequence that stood out as high points in the genre, though the overall spread of puzzles is well above average.

There's not much I can level against Primordia, honestly. I mentioned that it's a grim and muddy future but the characters elevate it above that and keep all the gloom to the periphery. While the scope of the game is just as grand as it needs to be, it plays out over a pretty small number of scenes so it might feel smaller than it should. There are also some political overtones that you might not agree with when the multiple endings roll around, which is to be expected from a game whose plot is so steeped in robo-sociology but nevertheless might rub the wrong way. I'm absolutely not going to knock the art, intensely low-res though it is, because the far-future designs of the robots and their environs are absolutely fascinating to behold. The sound design is far more reserved but does what it needs to, and in particular provides some excellent voice acting throughout. Primordia is the total package, an adventure game that challenges and inspires in every aspect from its characters to its puzzles.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Hope you're going to do Nelly Cootalot 2. Not nearly enough people gave it a chance.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Alvora Tactics made it out of Greenlight and onto Steam at long last. It's by the same dude who made Voidspire Tactics.

Also oh hey, Production Line is out. It's in EA, but it looks like it's pretty polished already.

Production Line looks like Factorio (or other games of that sort). which would be the better pick?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Xander77 posted:

Hope you're going to do Nelly Cootalot 2. Not nearly enough people gave it a chance.

Is that the one on Steam, The Fowl Fleet? While I have no reason to doubt you, this right here

makes me want to run screaming in the opposite direction.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
Westerado: Double Barreled

4MBI5-PIFL#-3MFL3

# = no. of barrels

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Too Shy Guy posted:

Is that the one on Steam, The Fowl Fleet? While I have no reason to doubt you, this right here

I would take Steam's recommendations with a pillar of salt

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

betamax hipster posted:

Westerado: Double Barreled

4MBI5-PIFL#-3MFL3

# = no. of barrels
Thanks, that was literally the only thing I wanted out of that bundle and I was considering buying it.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 1, 2017

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is there a Starcrawlers thread? I couldn't find one, but search kind of really sucks. Might make one if there isn't. I loving love this drat game.

King Keltair
Jul 16, 2001

Bundlestars sent me a mystery game out of the blue - Dustforce, which I already had:

YBJWI-ZZXDG-PRPQA

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Too Shy Guy posted:

I mean, if the Kickstarter pitch video, the Greenlight video, and the launch trailer doesn't make you want to play Nelly Cootalot then I just don't know.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is there a Starcrawlers thread? I couldn't find one, but search kind of really sucks. Might make one if there isn't. I loving love this drat game.
There isn't. Make one. I would post in it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Kibayasu posted:

I mean, if the Kickstarter pitch video, the Greenlight video, and the launch trailer doesn't make you want to play Nelly Cootalot then I just don't know.
Oh yeah. I was about to link the credits song, but that kinda spoils everything (intentionally).

I liked Puzzle Agent 1-2 (sorta), but Nelly is totally unlike those games in pretty much every way. Like, it barely sorta applies to the original, due to the hand-drawn aesthetic, but there are basically no similarities with The Fowl Fleet.

I have basically two complaints about TFF: a few poo poo minigames, and the complete omission of an implied second act. Which is nothing on the complaints I have regarding the Puzzle Agent plot resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

King Keltair posted:

Bundlestars sent me a mystery game out of the blue - Dustforce, which I already had:

YBJWI-ZZXDG-PRPQA

Thanks, I grabbed this.

I got a few from the Adult Swim Humble Bundle that I already have:

Wasted: 53PQX-5C02F-QW395
Westerado: 4R0Q2-W8FJZ-Z7EY3
Volgarr the Viking: IWB0I-78905-0H495

• Locked thread