Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

On the narrative side of things, arn't those races supposed to have existed like millions of years ago? The game (or at least, the time in which the player plays in) just doesn't have that kind of scale. You win (or lose) in a few hundred years. What happens a million years from now is irrelevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

What kills me is my initial corvette exploration stage. I have in the past started a game, split them up, contemplated the 50+ clicks I was about to engage in, and closed the game to go play something else. "Go visit every system nearby I haven't visited" should not be that hard.

I'm still not sure why people keep doing this to themselves. Sometimes I simulate a fleet maneuver by sending my ships to some nearby systems, but most of the time 2-3 science ships are enough for me.

Including an optional fourth science ship later, I still tend to explore about half the galaxy in my first century.

I suggest only doing weird stuff like corvette exploration in multiplayer, where finding new planets first can give you a major advantage.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Yeah, that's fair.

I'm just a sort of hosed up dork about 4x games, where I kind of wish that entropy in general was a bit better represented. Stellaris actually got a bit close, and it felt pretty cool; I had a space battle that utterly tanked two bloated navies to space dust, and from then on, the game had almost a post-high-water mark aspect to it, since nothing was ever going to hit that scale of conflict again; that fleet took hundreds of years to build, it wasn't ever going to get that size again. Even the endgame crisis didn't hit that sort of scale. It's kind of a cool sort of aesthetic/sense that isn't really touched on at all in these kinds of games, which generally go in a one way exponential-growth style progression in terms of scale/technology/population. Stagflation is cool. Decline is cool.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Things aren't really in decline either. It's kinda actually the opposite. You're playing as an up-and-comer species in a galaxy full of up-and-comers. The Fallen Empires are empires that just sorta secured their territory and decided to stop expanding or interacting with their contemporaries and ended up a stagnating, despite their incredible technology.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libluini posted:

I'm still not sure why people keep doing this to themselves. Sometimes I simulate a fleet maneuver by sending my ships to some nearby systems, but most of the time 2-3 science ships are enough for me.

Including an optional fourth science ship later, I still tend to explore about half the galaxy in my first century.

I suggest only doing weird stuff like corvette exploration in multiplayer, where finding new planets first can give you a major advantage.
Even ignoring that an intel advantage is still useful in single player, early vette exploration leaves you absolutely swimming in influence and allows you to finish the habitable worlds chain way earlier. It would be less tedious if sensor sideswipes persisted so you didn't have to actively visit each system.

In general a significant boost who's only real balancing factor is a players' tolerance for tedium is bad game design. It's why you're forced to use sectors after a certain amount of planets, and unlocking extra planets costs various resources.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
New dev diary on crises:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-72-crises-the-contingency.1026439/

The new AI crisis looks much more interesting, and I like the idea of mid-game crises becoming more prevalent.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Even ignoring that an intel advantage is still useful in single player, early vette exploration leaves you absolutely swimming in influence and allows you to finish the habitable worlds chain way earlier. It would be less tedious if sensor sideswipes persisted so you didn't have to actively visit each system.

In general a significant boost who's only real balancing factor is a players' tolerance for tedium is bad game design. It's why you're forced to use sectors after a certain amount of planets, and unlocking extra planets costs various resources.

Well, I never needed corvette exploration to cap out my influence in the early game. :shrug:

It's not that it doesn't give an advantage, but this is the kind of "boost" which is mostly psychological. As long as you aren't competing with real humans, who may not know about this or will use this knowledge against you, it's entirely pointless if you don't want to do it.

What would even be the method to prevent this "tedious" game design? Forbidding players to move their non-science ships into unknown systems? Disable sensor sweeps for non-science ships in un-explored systems? Whatever I can think of, it seems to be insane. The next step of course would be to just make your PC crash if you expand too fast. To relieve the "tedium" of video games. :v:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
In terms of pie in the sky features I'd wish I had, a way to fire / clear out the leader pool of available dudes. Make me spend influence on it, it's fine. I just don't need another 5 dudes that all have the tile blocker bonus when I've got mastery of nature and have already cleared out all my planets of tile blockers.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

GenericOverusedName posted:

In terms of pie in the sky features I'd wish I had, a way to fire / clear out the leader pool of available dudes. Make me spend influence on it, it's fine. I just don't need another 5 dudes that all have the tile blocker bonus when I've got mastery of nature and have already cleared out all my planets of tile blockers.

Cant you hire the tile blocker guy and then fire them?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Aethernet posted:

New dev diary on crises:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-72-crises-the-contingency.1026439/

The new AI crisis looks much more interesting, and I like the idea of mid-game crises becoming more prevalent.

That looks significantly more interesting than what we've got now

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The reason I send corvettes out to scout is so my science vessels don't get eaten by the Ether Drake or Dimensional Horror or some huge space critter fleet.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libluini posted:

Well, I never needed corvette exploration to cap out my influence in the early game. :shrug:

<snip>

What would even be the method to prevent this "tedious" game design? Forbidding players to move their non-science ships into unknown systems? Disable sensor sweeps for non-science ships in un-explored systems? Whatever I can think of, it seems to be insane. The next step of course would be to just make your PC crash if you expand too fast. To relieve the "tedium" of video games. :v:
If your influence is maxing out you're underspending on policies/edicts/leaders/expansion!

Some manner of patrol or drag-select option would be ideal. Ignoring that, one of the tedium multipliers with corvette exploration is that if your ship is within sensor range of a system the habitable planet icons and such will pop up (good) but will vanish again when you move out of range (bad). If you actually visit the system the icons persist. If the icons revealed by drivebys also persisted it would cut down on a hell of a lot of the micro.

Libluini posted:

It's not that it doesn't give an advantage, but this is the kind of "boost" which is mostly psychological. As long as you aren't competing with real humans, who may not know about this or will use this knowledge against you, it's entirely pointless if you don't want to do it.
This is a weird post.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

The reason I send corvettes out to scout is so my science vessels don't get eaten by the Ether Drake or Dimensional Horror or some huge space critter fleet.

For me, this danger is part of the fun. Generally, I tend to lose 2-3 science ships on average per playthrough and 1-2 scientists (sometimes I get lucky and can pause and transfer them out before the ship gets locked into combat).

I can imagine being annoyed if your scientists are too unlucky, of course. Personally, I just don't care enough about their wellbeing. :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It's less their wellbeing I care about than the hassle of replacing them, especially when they've leveled up a bunch and I need five-star scientists for some research projects.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

If your influence is maxing out you're underspending on policies/edicts/leaders/expansion!

OK, I was being overly dramatic, I'm not literally capping out my influence all the time. Generally, there are lots of times when my influence runs on fumes. Especially because I like to play on what I call "desert settings", with low empire counts and planets drastically reduced, which means I'm spending a lot of time planting down expensive frontier outposts.

GunnerJ posted:

It's less their wellbeing I care about than the hassle of replacing them, especially when they've leveled up a bunch and I need five-star scientists for some research projects.

I have always 3-4 scientists running around, even with space monsters and old age taking them down, chances are at least one fiver survives. The rest is just filed under "poo poo happens" and a mental shrug.

Edit:

Really, the more I think about this, this is less a difference in opinions and more a difference in playstyles. So it's all good.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ChickenWing posted:

That looks significantly more interesting than what we've got now

Yeah.

One thing I would really like is some tweak to how the gently caress they kick off. As it stands every single game I am getting the unbidden. As far as I can tell there are a couple of main reasons for this:

1) synthetics are annoying and easy to avoid. It looks like they are addressing this, which is good.

2) the engine tech that starts the unbidden crisis isn't exactly rare and holy poo poo it's over-powered compared to other modes of transport. It's uniformly better and, once you get a large empire where you might need to move your fleets across space quickly, almost necessary.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah.

One thing I would really like is some tweak to how the gently caress they kick off. As it stands every single game I am getting the unbidden. As far as I can tell there are a couple of main reasons for this:

1) synthetics are annoying and easy to avoid. It looks like they are addressing this, which is good.

2) the engine tech that starts the unbidden crisis isn't exactly rare and holy poo poo it's over-powered compared to other modes of transport. It's uniformly better and, once you get a large empire where you might need to move your fleets across space quickly, almost necessary.

We have statistics on this, and it's almost exactly equally balanced between Swarm and Unbidden in public games right now. It's just luck, or lack thereof.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

No kidding? Huh. Is there anything I can do to tip the balance?

I've played maybe 10 games through to completion since the last expansion and gotten unbidden every single time.

Edit: no mods so that's not the hang up.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have never, ever seen the swarm or AI.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I used to only see the Scourge, now I mostly see the Unbidden. Never seen AI revolt, from all accounts I'm glad I haven't.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I've seen about 50/50 swarm and unbidden but I've never seen the AI even when trying to trigger that event. Glad it's getting a bit of a revamp.

Cyrano4747, do you always go for the jump drive tech that triggers the unbidden? Depending on how quickly you're picking it up your games might be skewed in a way that isn't the case for people who ignore the tech the first few times they see it.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Aethernet posted:

New dev diary on crises:

I feel like there should be an option (single-player only I guess) for a player empire that has ascended into a fully robotic society to take over the AI rebellion empire. Basically let the player turn into the AI endgame crisis if they want.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I wish there was more crisis variety in general. They're all basically the same thing and have been made redundant by awakened empires filling the role of "dudes with a giant fleet who show up in the late game".

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I wish there was more crisis variety in general. They're all basically the same thing and have been made redundant by awakened empires filling the role of "dudes with a giant fleet who show up in the late game".

Tbh there's only so many variations on a theme you can deliver within the framework of the game. One crisis appears at the edge of the galaxy, one appears in the middle, and this new one will manifest on worlds with synths, I assume. Aside from giant fleets, it's really difficult to see how you'd make a crisis feel meaningful - something like a plague would only be interesting with a greater emphasis on civilian & trade mechanics than the game currently allows.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Man, I don't know how you guys even get to end game. By midgame I get bored and just start over.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Plagues would make sense too, considering one of the precursor civilizations died from plague.

Also, I'm a dirty cheater, but I sometimes give my scientists who are out exploring some of the admiral traits that increase move speed. Gale Speed, Void Hunter, or Dimensional Stutter.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cyrano4747 posted:

No kidding? Huh. Is there anything I can do to tip the balance?

I've played maybe 10 games through to completion since the last expansion and gotten unbidden every single time.

Edit: no mods so that's not the hang up.

Unbidden was bugged to show up 90% of the time before 1.6. Now it's fixed though.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chalks posted:

I've seen about 50/50 swarm and unbidden but I've never seen the AI even when trying to trigger that event. Glad it's getting a bit of a revamp.

Cyrano4747, do you always go for the jump drive tech that triggers the unbidden? Depending on how quickly you're picking it up your games might be skewed in a way that isn't the case for people who ignore the tech the first few times they see it.

We intentionally aren't fixing spawn rate of AI crisis because it's terrible. We'll sort out the spawn rate along with the replacement.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Anyone got some cool custom civs to play as? I've been enjoying making my own, but I'd like to see what people are coming up with!

Here is the race I enjoyed playing the most, not only do I like 'em they were the first race of mine that the Worm loved too. As an AI empire pre-Banks the spawned as a Migratory Flock, now they are mostly Spiritual Seekers.

I was not really expecting how much influence that combo of civics would get me. Its fairly easy to please all three of your main factions all the time. I could spam frontier outposts like crazy. Once I ran out of room to peacefully expand I went the Liberate>Vassalize>Integrate route but a federation would work too.

Has anyone else played an empire whose civics weren't the most obvious, but which combo-ed really well?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Anyone got some cool custom civs to play as? I've been enjoying making my own, but I'd like to see what people are coming up with!

Cease to Hope posted:

extremely adaptable is kind of OP right now, and sedentary and repugnant are more or less free trait points. the other negative traits actually hurt. your traits only really matter for the early game unless you're not conquering your neighbors, though.

as for ethos, the Default Good Build is some mix of egalitarian/militarist/spiritualist/materialist. that plays like most 4X games: expand, conquer your first neighbor or two, vassalize everyone else, win. always give other aliens full citizenship and social welfare, and you won't have any trouble with revolts from conquering people. militarist is all good if you get in fights, egalitarian is more minerals and minerals are the Do Things resource, spiritualist helps with stability, materialist helps you get robots soon enough that you can use them to jumpstart your early growth.

xenophile isn't bad but it doesn't really do anything. xenophobe gives you control of more space, which is good, but at the cost of not being able to give conquered aliens full citizenship (and thus irritating the egalitarian faction), which means you will occasionally have revolt problems. pacifist is super stable and gets a boost on seeing ascension perks if you want to consume all of the new content, but it means you need to expand by declaring liberation wars then immediately diplovassalizing the liberated subnation - you'll be familiar with strats like this if you play EU4, but it is slower and a bit harder than just conquering people. authoritarian is just plain bad. slaves give you lots of minerals, but they mean your civ is relatively unstable even on a good day. assimilating aliens is rough.

for your government, you'll almost always want a diplomacy. it gives you a ton of extra influence - influence can be hard to come by otherwise - and it spawns the egalitarian faction, which is easy to satisfy because you already want to give them everything they want.

tech is useful for a lot of things but it's not super important for military conquest. the main question of who wins wars is who can pump more minerals into ships

this advice is a shortcut to winning stellaris like a 4X game. once you smooth out your start, you should explode and just roll over everyone else in the midgame and win before really hardcore alliances form and the awakened empires/endgame crises show up.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

The problem is that building big fleets and crashing them into someone else's big fleets is basically the only adversarial challenge in the game, and there isn't even much room for differing tactics or behavior due to the hands-off combat system. The current AI rebellion was an attempt at crisis variety, but it's getting cut and replaced by a more conventional crisis because the mechanics simply aren't there to support any other approach.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Liberation wars pisses off your pacifist faction, right? That's a little annoying. I guess you could rival and diplo-spam insults and hope they declare war on you.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Digital Osmosis posted:

Liberation wars pisses off your pacifist faction, right? That's a little annoying. I guess you could rival and diplo-spam insults and hope they declare war on you.

Since the pacifist faction is also the prosperity faction, it's usually not too hard to keep them at least somewhat happy even during a war. So usually it's not a big deal if you have an energy stockpile and some strategic resources, etc.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

JuniperCake posted:

Since the pacifist faction is also the prosperity faction, it's usually not too hard to keep them at least somewhat happy even during a war. So usually it's not a big deal if you have an energy stockpile and some strategic resources, etc.

This is sort of true, unless you're a pacifist xenophobe then you get the Isolationist faction. Their ethic is technically xenophobic, but their only demands are closed bordersno migration treaties, peace, and NAPs.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

TGLT posted:

This is sort of true, unless you're a pacifist xenophobe then you get the Isolationist faction. Their ethic is technically xenophobic, but their only demands are closed borders and peace.

I think you can get both of those factions can't you?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Aethernet posted:

Tbh there's only so many variations on a theme you can deliver within the framework of the game. One crisis appears at the edge of the galaxy, one appears in the middle, and this new one will manifest on worlds with synths, I assume. Aside from giant fleets, it's really difficult to see how you'd make a crisis feel meaningful - something like a plague would only be interesting with a greater emphasis on civilian & trade mechanics than the game currently allows.

I think what he was driving at is that there needs to be more than just a giant fleet that shows up and you need to kill it in terms of a crisis. And I agree with both of you that they really do need more variety as the game just devolves into "okay you're really big now, time to just shoot everyone else" in the end.

But in order to get the variety of crisis' that Formage wants we'd need the game to have its non-warfare related bits fleshed out. And that to me is honestly where the game is most lacking right now - everyone is complaining about fleet tactics and weapon balance issues but it's the part of the game I care about the least. I want to build an honest-to-god empire, not a collection of planets that exist to support a giant ball of ships. I'm not interested in planets being relaged to simple sliders so I can go singlehandedly captain every cruiser in the galaxy.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

JuniperCake posted:

I think you can get both of those factions can't you?

Looking at the wiki, Isolationist requirements only conflict with Supremacists, so yes you can get both. edit: Misread your post

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Man, I am loving excited to crank crisis strength up to probably at least 3x strength.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

PittTheElder posted:

Man, I am loving excited to crank crisis strength up to probably at least 3x strength.

Right? I'm loving ready. I also suggested to Wiz on twitter that they add a checkbox to enable all crises in one game, probably not worth their trouble but would be nice to not need a mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah, as the polar opposite of that guy who restarts games constantly, I love huge maps and playing one empire forever so a multi-crisis clusterfuck several centuries in would be great.

• Locked thread