Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

People say Chaos;Head Noah is a better version of Chaos;Head by a very large margin, but it seems like we'll never get that in English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fru Fru posted:

So I finished Hakuoki yesterday. Overall, I think it was pretty good, definitely looking forward to part 2 whenever that happens. It was kinda tedious going through all the bad ends, but it's not like you have to do that unless you want trophies. The good ends are mostly pretty good and I finally got to date that ninja boy.

I would think it be easy to get all the bad endings since you just start the romance then don't do anything with it. Or are there multiple bad endings for each character?

For example, I was kind of curious if you got a different bad ending for "Budding" instead of getting an actual percentage.

Did you get all the trophies? I was kind of annoyed at these "Hidden Trophies" because how can I even guess at what I'm missing? I'd like to Platinum my first game ever but that might not happen because I dunno what to do.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
By the by if you're on the fence about Utawarerumono, people are gushing about it so far. I've seen a lot of people saying 'I never really got in to this whole VN thing, but man this game is great'.

Also the art book that comes with the launch edition or whatever is really, really nice. It's much more than just an art book, there's a lot of little commentary about the characters, world and lore. I was expecting a bunch of cheesecake CG shots but instead it's just character art and then right into talking about the setting and culture of the land.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

NikkolasKing posted:

I would think it be easy to get all the bad endings since you just start the romance then don't do anything with it. Or are there multiple bad endings for each character?

For example, I was kind of curious if you got a different bad ending for "Budding" instead of getting an actual percentage.

Did you get all the trophies? I was kind of annoyed at these "Hidden Trophies" because how can I even guess at what I'm missing? I'd like to Platinum my first game ever but that might not happen because I dunno what to do.

It is easy. It is just tedious because the bad endings suck. And there are two for each guy, one actual bad ending and one less bad ending that they call the unrequited love ending.

I did get all the trophies. The hidden ones I think were for seeing all the endings. Basically if you see all the endings you will probably get 100%. It is possible to miss a gallery picture somewhere along the way but they should be easy enough to figure out because they go in chronological order.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Getsuya posted:

By the by if you're on the fence about Utawarerumono, people are gushing about it so far. I've seen a lot of people saying 'I never really got in to this whole VN thing, but man this game is great'.

Also the art book that comes with the launch edition or whatever is really, really nice. It's much more than just an art book, there's a lot of little commentary about the characters, world and lore. I was expecting a bunch of cheesecake CG shots but instead it's just character art and then right into talking about the setting and culture of the land.

I'll pick it up when it's on sale, though the launch edition may be unavailable by then. There's too much poo poo coming out to find the time (or money) for it anyway. I also only half-finished the first game, I need to go back to that or watch the anime some time.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I have gotten this far in these 3 VNs:

Fata Morgana - not very far at all, in the middle (?) of Mell's story where the mysterious servant lady shows up
Higurashi - not very far at all, in chapter 1 I think
Devil on G String - in the middle of the 2nd segment, got the Tsubaki ending and I guess the Kanon ending would be next

Is there a clear cut best of these to finish? I think maybe I got the impression from the thread earlier that Fata Morgana is looked at as the best?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

fata morgana is 10 times better then devil on the g string and still a fair bit better then higurashi

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

higurashi isn't finished releasing yet, also

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Stefan Prodan posted:

Fata Morgana - not very far at all, in the middle (?) of Mell's story where the mysterious servant lady shows up
Devil on G String - in the middle of the 2nd segment, got the Tsubaki ending and I guess the Kanon ending would be next

Is there a clear cut best of these to finish? I think maybe I got the impression from the thread earlier that Fata Morgana is looked at as the best?

Something I've discovered is that 1 door in a single sitting is the best pace if you can manage to find enough time for it. If you don't, but have single days where you can get far, take a break after finishing a door and come back later in the day. Don't break this rule even if you think you are near the end.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cake Attack posted:

fata morgana is 10 times better then devil on the g string and still a fair bit better then higurashi
Yeah even as the resident Higurashi gusher Fata Morgana is probably the best VN I've ever read, definitely finish that. It's not a bad time to catch up with Higurashi though since they're in the answer arcs at the moment but I'd say do FM first.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Stefan Prodan posted:

Having never played the other two I'd still suggest powering through Higurashi, the opening of the first couple chapters is really slow and plodding but they pick up pace fast - and they're finally coming out with the answer chapters, so getting through the slow start now will be good later.

Cake Attack posted:

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah even as the resident Higurashi gusher Fata Morgana is probably the best VN I've ever read, definitely finish that. It's not a bad time to catch up with Higurashi though since they're in the answer arcs at the moment but I'd say do FM first.

what

fakedit: holy hell it's 25 bucks

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fata Morgana is extremely good, and very easily among the best VNs out there.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Much of my love of FM probably comes down to just how it completely went contrary to my expectations, based on my impressions prior to playing any of it as well as the first couple of doors. That dawning realization as you got deeper that oh no, you're not even close to scratching the surface of the true story and motivations for what was truly at stake, that everything is connected in ways I couldn't have even imagined. It also wasn't afraid to present its cast as very human characters, who despite probably having more flaws than positive traits still are able to have intensely empathetic stories.

The art and soundtrack are both excellent as well, though that probably goes without saying for a lot of VNs (RK07's art will forever be the black sheep of that conversation).

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Yes, Fata Morgana is the best one of the three. Also if you have difficulty finishing a visual novel then anything by Ryukishi07 is going to be a pain. The games are loooooooong and very slow.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Does Fata Morgana have much in the way of decision points/multiple routes? I've never been able to really get into the strictly linear VNs.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Rollersnake posted:

Does Fata Morgana have much in the way of decision points/multiple routes? I've never been able to really get into the strictly linear VNs.

IIRC it has multiple endings and the other kinds of games are Kinetic Novels where you have little to no choices in-game.

Alder fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 30, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Rollersnake posted:

Only the kind where you get a bad ending pretty much right away, it's pretty linear for better or worse. There are a few segments where you're allowed the "freedom" to explore a bit on your own but I hardly think that counts.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the new stuff was patched into the silver case today and consequently it's on sale for $12. http://store.steampowered.com/app/476650/The_Silver_Case/

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

speaking of sales

https://twitter.com/MangaGamer/status/869358866231939072

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That is certainly well-timed.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Utawarerumono is good and has a good translation.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

The dies irae steam page is up

quote:

The common part scenario can be played as a basic free of charge.
In order to play each heroine scenario, purchase of DLC is required separately.

:rolleyes:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

As long as it all costs the same, I don't see what the big deal is. They were planning on splitting it in two from the start, and now a chunk of the game is going to be free. as well.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
How dare they publish a demo? Typical greedy devs.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Steins Gate 0 finished. I'm not sure why they created a sequel to SG that ended up this unsatisfying, despite all of the interesting directions they could have went. Pretty much all of it felt pretty flat to me. Oh well I liked the extended character building and most of the new characters fit in good enough so I guess i don't regret reading it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same except I didn't care for any of the new characters half as much as it thought I should.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I liked what they did with Amane, and Mayuri's array of hats. Faris and Luka also felt a bit better implemented. That's about it though.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Stexils posted:

The dies irae steam page is up

:rolleyes:

Why won't they just sell the complete game for $35 and call it a day along with a demo? This reminds me of mobage and you know how I feel about those games <:mad:>

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why does it matter. the price is probably the same as they would have sold it for as a full game. there is no difference.

also mobage is good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

mobaids

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Endorph posted:

also mobage is good

mobage is bad along with TCG and is killing the games industry along w/moba.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Next thing you know we have VNs where you pay money to pull a random route. Better hope you got a character you actually like!

Oh wait Girlfriend Beta exists.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Getsuya posted:

Next thing you know we have VNs where you pay money to pull a random route. Better hope you got a character you actually like!

Oh wait Girlfriend Beta exists.

Wait, this is a real game? I thought most mobage let you pay $5 for the individual character main story route, $2 epilogue, $1 each side story, and then repeat once they release the 2nd Season (see: Voltage). So a complete mediocre VN could cost anywhere from $30-$50 :drac:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Alder posted:

mobage is bad along with TCG and is killing the games industry along w/moba.

I don't think so, OP.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Eh GF Beta is a real game but you only pay for the cards. I don't think there are 'routes' to do.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't think so, OP.

people disagreeing with me on what is ruining the games industry is why the game industry is dying too.

Alder fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 1, 2017

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Steins Gate 0 finished. I'm not sure why they created a sequel to SG that ended up this unsatisfying, despite all of the interesting directions they could have went. Pretty much all of it felt pretty flat to me. Oh well I liked the extended character building and most of the new characters fit in good enough so I guess i don't regret reading it.

By keeping my expectations firmly in check, I enjoyed Steins;Gate 0. I especially liked Maho’s character, and it was fun to see other characters interacting again. Nae’s Sargeant Clean bit was incredibly funny.

The two biggest problems were the shockingly abrupt ending and Kagari’s character. I still don’t know what was going on with her and I don’t think the writers did either.

Something called Steins;Gate Elite was announced a few days ago. Does anyone know if this is just a repackaging of the 2 main games, or if they are going for a completely new story?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fate/grand order is a more fun rpg than a lot of games and its a mobage.

and i liked s;g 0 but its kinda all over the place and yeah, feels very unnecessary at the end of the day.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

hepcat posted:

Something called Steins;Gate Elite was announced a few days ago. Does anyone know if this is just a repackaging of the 2 main games, or if they are going for a completely new story?

The one article I saw didn't give many details, not even platforms, but I got the impression that it's an updated rerelease of the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't think so, OP.

He's right