Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Harrow posted:

Wait, Agents of SHIELD is actually good? It got off to such a rough start that I just kinda wrote it off.

It went from "oof" to "Okay." I'd put it slightly above CW-Tier, but not by much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Harrow posted:

Wait, Agents of SHIELD is actually good? It got off to such a rough start that I just kinda wrote it off.

Oh, yeah. See, the first part of the first season was spinning its wheels, developing character relationships and some in-universe tech and background elements, but the show tied in directly with Winter Soldier where HYDRA took over SHIELD, which majorly shook everything up, one of the main characters was a HYDRA double-agent, and the series got Bill Paxton for a while, which owned bones. Season 2 was somehow even better than the back half of season 1, and it just keeps going from there. Season 4 was a masterpiece, with three distinct arcs that fed into each other. First arc included Ghost Rider Robbie Reyes, which was loving awesome. The other two are spoilery-as-hell to even begin to describe, but someone already covered the basic gist of what the third one was. I legitimately can't think of a show as good as AoS that isn't Fargo or maybe Game of Thrones pre-S5.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Zil posted:

Maybe Pee Tape is not long behind if Trump continues to displease his overlord.

I believe in piss tape, but I think that's probably still a long way off.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ReidRansom posted:

I believe in piss tape, but I think that's probably still a long way off.

Like I said, I honestly don't think the piss tape would hurt him.

Everyone the piss tape would horrify already hates him.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

mango sentinel posted:

It went from "oof" to "Okay." I'd put it slightly above CW-Tier, but not by much.

Since we're on TV chat momentarily:

If there a particular way CW shows and AoS are shot that makes them have a cheap look to them? Or is it just the contrast of having high-def cameras and TV resolution along with sets and costumes that have always been cheap? Something about them always looks off to me but I don't see it in a lot of other shows, especially ~*~ PRESTIGE TV ~*~ shows.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Huzanko posted:

If there a particular way CW shows and AoS are shot that makes them have a cheap look to them? Or is it just the contrast of having high-def cameras and TV resolution along with sets and costumes that have always been cheap? Something about them always looks off to me but I don't see it in a lot of other shows, especially ~*~ PRESTIGE TV ~*~ shows.

Budget. Sadly. You simply cannot make a god-tier ~PRESTIGE TV~ series on a loving network TV budget. (I'm referring to production quality, not writing and whatnot, obviously)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Huzanko posted:

It's lighting. Lighting makes a bad TV show look passable and a great TV show look mediocre.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Jane the Virgin is great though

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Harrow posted:

It's pretty good. From like episode 16 in season 1 on, when they were able to take the twist in Cap. Winter Solider and run with it.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Apoplexy posted:

Budget. Sadly. You simply cannot make a god-tier ~PRESTIGE TV~ series on a loving network TV budget.

I figured. I would just like to figure out what specific thing makes those network TV shows look weird to me. Maybe the type of camera?

Party Plane Jones posted:

It's lighting. Lighting makes a bad TV show look passable and a great TV show look mediocre.

Ah, this makes sense. So, is good lighting just out of the question for a network TV show? Or is it just they can't afford to hire good talent?

Prophecy0
Jun 27, 2004

Apoplexy posted:

I'm glad I was beaten to plugging Agents of SHIELD's latest season. The amount of tiny anti-Trump digs they stuffed into the Agents of HYDRA plotline was loving amazing. And the storyline itself was fantastic.

It's a shame the show isn't more successful. The super boring first half of Season 1 bled a ton of potential viewers, but I feel like their hands were tied until Winter Soldier came out.

The very blatant anti-trump messages peppered into the Agents of HYDRA arc were fantastic.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Huzanko posted:

Ah, this makes sense. So, is good lighting just out of the question for a network TV show? Or is it just they can't afford to hire good talent?

Good DPs don't come cheap

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Huzanko posted:

I figured. I would just like to figure out what specific thing makes those network TV shows look weird to me. Maybe the type of camera?

Time constraints and budget constraints.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Ask Evil Angel about that.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Huzanko posted:

My guess is that it's less an issue of talent than that of time to set things up. You can fudge things with just a couple key lights if you need to get the set ready for a shoot and be out the door in time for the next one. That way, you aren't paying people to stand around with their thumbs up their rear end for as long.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Flip Yr Wig posted:

My guess is that it's less an issue of talent than that of time to set things up. You can fudge things with just a couple key lights if you need to get the set ready for a shoot and be out the door in time for the next one. That way, you aren't paying people to stand around with their thumbs up their rear end for as long.

Dexo posted:

Time constraints and budget constraints.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Cool. I would've thought pro lighting techniques would be well-documented enough that they could be reproduced by this point but I guess it just comes down to talent since not every scene or actor is the same and you're always figuring out how best to light things on the fly I'd assume. I know next to nothing about filming or lighting things.

Thanks for answering my dumb TV questions guys.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wow, the news is seriously depressing right now. Conservatives are loving evil.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Trump Thread II: The Agents of Shield Derail

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Congratulations on joining the 21st century, person formerly in a coma.

Huzanko posted:

Cool. I would've thought pro lighting techniques would be well-documented enough that they could be reproduced by this point but I guess it just comes down to talent since not every scene or actor is the same and you're always figuring out how best to light things on the fly I'd assume. I know next to nothing about filming or lighting things.

You should check out Every Frame A Painting; it's a good look at movie/TV editing and camera positioning and things like that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q4X2vDRfRk

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 1, 2017

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Chilichimp posted:

Trump Thread II: The Agents of Shield Derail

In the fantasy realm of good guys vs. bad guys, the good guys sometimes win. In real life, the good guys compromise until they're indistinguishable from the bad, then the bad guys win anyway.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Huzanko posted:

Yeah, that's exactly it. While the techniques are well-documented, there's a lot of art involved, too.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's making me struggle pretty hard with the general meaninglessness of life. It's hard not to feel like we lost the most important battle we'd ever fight and now the best we'll ever be able to do is slow down the inevitable doom from here on outward.

That's not true, necessarily, but god drat if it doesn't feel that way.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Party Plane Jones posted:

You should check out Every Frame A Painting; it's a good look at movie/TV editing and camera positioning and things like that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q4X2vDRfRk

Every Frame a Painting is definitely the best of those YouTube film analysis channels.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Solid taste. :thumbsup:

Food Wars / Shokugeki no Soma might be a bit of a head-scratching choice at first because of the whole "foodgasms" thing, but taking into account that the comic is published in one of Japan's best known comic magazines (same one where Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece and plenty other super popular comics/shows are/were published), the lewdest content is some cheesecake. It also has a TON of Manservice, so it balances itself out.

Fanservice/Cheese-cake aside, the comic is super fun and we have the thread for the manga right here in ADTRW, if any of you folks are interested.

Back on Trump-related topics:
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/870234811616677889

:ughh:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Fraid not, Donny, but we do appreciate your hamfisted attempts to change the subject.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Huzanko posted:

Here is how it works.

Every single camera (except for like Lifetime or whatever) is RED now, which is the new industry standard. In atlanta, they would have both studio cams and contractor DPs who all had their own RED cameras. There's some very rare circumstances where other things are used, but if you're watching Network television, it's RED. Like to give you an example, when I was on Drop Dead Diva, which was the epitome of "filming a bust show for georgia tax credits," even THAT had RED A and B cams.

Actors are whatever. They all get paid the same with the exception of the stars.

Directors are completely irrelevant.

You can't throw a dead cat without hitting a writer.

Wardrobe is a hilarious scam and I'm pretty sure them buying and returning things to Marshall's is all that's keeping that business afloat if they play their finances right.

Production is what sets a show apart, specifically sets and lighting. All money in a shoot goes into production, and the more lights you have, the more grips and PAs you need to move it, the better lighting designer you need to take advantage of it. On the set of Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk (which granted was an infinity budget Sony pet project) we did a scene inside the Georgia Dome. To light it we basically had hundred foot wide glowing blimps. It was nuts.

Same with sets. Want a better set? Gonna need more contractors, more carpenters, more electricians, more whatever. filming on location? Better places to film require more money, different expertise, different power generating capabilities (film sets produce their own electricity) etc

Then there's post, which is sucking up more budget because you need so many sfx for something like SHIELD, but that's highly variable.

so yeah it's basically set, set dec, and lighting, and post.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
https://twitter.com/pkcapitol/status/870294829904822273

Debt ceiling may be hit sooner than anticipated because rich people are holding out for their promised tax cut.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
https://nyti.ms/2ss1nu0

MOSCOW — Shifting from his previous blanket denials, President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia said on Thursday that “patriotically minded” private Russian hackers could have been involved in cyberattacks last year to help the presidential campaign of Donald J. Trump.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Trump Thread II: Every Post Beaten By Several Pages

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

HappyHippo posted:

Debt ceiling may be hit sooner than anticipated because rich people are holding out for their promised tax cut.

If they're going to make tax cuts retroactive gimme my money going back 15 years.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/JoshuaHol/status/870293444828246016

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Alter Ego posted:

Fraid not, Donny, but we do appreciate your hamfisted attempts to change the subject.
:golfclap:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

This is as close to an admission of guilt we're going to get.

In the face of incontrovertible evidence... he admits some... "patriotic" Russian hackers acted independently and turned the US election.

This is the exact reason they employ black-hats as contractors, plausible deniability.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

He doesn't care. It's clear trump doesn't matter and no matter what happens, putin can only gain.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ThePeavstenator posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Trump Thread II: Every Post Beaten By Several Pages

Carter Page leaking again????! :trumppop:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

HappyHippo posted:

That wouldn't change the taxes they already owe from the previous year or quarterly filing though. Or it shouldn't unless they also issue a corrected refund to everyone that has already paid (ha!)

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Hey, yo, gently caress rich people.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Flesh Forge posted:

The show on ABC, Agents of SHIELD, did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udkjeVPWPZ0

So just FYI the Trump supporter at Marvel is Ike Perlmutter, known rear end in a top hat who most people at Marvel Studios hate. When Disney bought Marvel one of the big negotiations was severing all of Perlmutter's ties with Marvel Studios, so now MS and Disney get to make all of their decisions without going through him. That's why the TV shows and movies are fun and good while the comics has Captain America actually being a Nazi.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

ReidRansom posted:

That wouldn't change the taxes they already owe from the previous year or quarterly filing though. Or it shouldn't unless they also issue a corrected refund to everyone that has already paid (ha!)

They're holding out on selling investments that would trigger capital gains. Trump has promised to lower the capital gains tax.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

ReidRansom posted:

It's going to cause them to forestall on selling appreciated assets in the hope of incurring a smaller tax bill, though. The speed of money is slowing because of these promises. We're just seeing more hoarding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

Rich people don't wait a year to pay taxes, they pay quarterly their estimated taxes for the current year.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/estimated-taxes

• Locked thread