Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That wrath would be really good except for the fact that the scary aggro threats are immune to sorcery-speed removal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Tainen posted:

Hopefully that Samut is from the Planeswalker deck

Collector number is 144/199, PW deckwalkers have a collector number thats higher than listed capacity (would be like 204/199) so this would be the regular Samut.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I can imagine a silly deck that just uses Samut + one of Standard's pseudo-proliferate effects to just slam out giant threats on turn 5.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Jabor posted:

That wrath would be really good except for the fact that the scary aggro threats are immune to sorcery-speed removal
Heart of Kiran is so last Standard.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/869943977562198016

Who will win in the battle of "who in a high level position at wotc is more out of touch"? My money is still on you sam.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Who will win in the battle of "who in a high level position at wotc is more out of touch"? My money is still on you sam.

How can anyone be that clueless that magic players like looking at magic decks for inspiration to give your company money.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

DangerDongs posted:

How can anyone be that clueless that magic players like looking at magic decks for inspiration to give your company money.

Nah, you don't get it - The problem with Magic is that people solve formats way too fast, not that WotC keep printing bullshit threats and refuse to print good answers for them. Basically, you all are literally Satan for wanting deck lists and you should be ashamed of yourselves.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Netdecking scrubs

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Jenx posted:

Nah, you don't get it - The problem with Magic is that people solve formats way too fast, not that WotC keep printing bullshit threats and refuse to print good answers for them. Basically, you all are literally Satan for wanting deck lists and you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Same but for Commander because gently caress having to build a 99 card list.

I didn't even know Devout Witness existed but I sure as hell put it in Alesha.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Letting Seth datamine league results would kill Standard and probably also Modern, so in a sense Forsythe is not wrong.

Just imagine MTGS, but every poster is suicidesteve calling everyone not playing Marvel idiots.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Siivola posted:

Letting Seth datamine league results would kill Standard and probably also Modern, so in a sense Forsythe is not wrong.

Just imagine MTGS, but every poster is suicidesteve calling everyone not playing Marvel idiots.

If ignorance is the only thing stopping standard and modern from being ruined they're already ruined

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Siivola posted:

It didn't seem to kill Standard when they were using bots to watch every replay on MTGO and analyze the results. But Wizards asked them to stop anyway.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

lockdar posted:

I looks like Wizards leaked something by accident, you can find them here:

http://magic.wizards.com/fr/event-types/standard-showdown

Nicol Bolas, God-Pharoah 4UBR
Planeswalker — Bolas (Mythic)
+2: Target opponent exiles cards from the top of his or her library until he or she exiles a creature card. Until end of turn, you may cast that card without paying its mana cost.
+1: Each opponent exiles two cards from his or her hand.
-4: Nicol Bolas, God-Pharoah deals 7 damage to target opponent or creature an opponent controls.
-12 Exile each nonland permanents your opponents control.

What's the right wording on the +2? I've seen people saying it is "non-land card" and others saying it is "creature card," if it is creature card that card will be busted vs the normal control decks in standard where they're running 4 creatures preboard and maybe 7 creatures post board - exile their lands, counters, draw spells and steal their finisher.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Sickening posted:

I don't understand WotC's resistance to publishing data. Even if the issue is that they don't want to spend money on infrastructure or personnel for an API to get MTGO data, mtggoldfish was basically already doing that for free until they were told to stop.

I'm guessing that their motive is that they don't want their game to be "solved" with perfect data but that's dumb because the pros already do their own data aggregation and metas inevitably reach an equilibrium anyway.

That reminds me, the Metagame Analysis project I did turned out to work pretty well. I should post about it once I get home and have access to my PC with Mathematica on it. It's probably going to work best in Modern but since no real-world matchup data is publicly available it's not going to be particularly useful unless I can aggregate a bunch of data myself. :argh:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dehtraen posted:

What's the right wording on the +2? I've seen people saying it is "non-land card" and others saying it is "creature card," if it is creature card that card will be busted vs the normal control decks in standard where they're running 4 creatures preboard and maybe 7 creatures post board - exile their lands, counters, draw spells and steal their finisher.

Seems to say Non-land card.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So, was talking to my GF about potential uses for Samut. Double Season would make it so you can ult instantly, right? If so, Sorin Markov and Chandra Nalaar to win? Sorin sets them to 10 life, Chandra does 10 damage. Jace, Memory Adept and Ob Nixilis Reignited? Ob's ult makes them take damage when anyone draws, Jace makes them draw 20. Sarkhan Vol and Garruk Primal Hunter to get out a ton of 7/7 hasty wurms?

Jace Memory Adept and Tamiyo, Field Researcher to play the top 23 cards of your library and your hand for free? I kind of want to try to make a janky combo deck out of this.

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 1, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

If ignorance is the only thing stopping standard and modern from being ruined they're already ruined
No prizes for guessing why I only play Limited. :v: It's actually the price tag.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

I don't understand WotC's resistance to publishing data. Even if the issue is that they don't want to spend money on infrastructure or personnel for an API to get MTGO data, mtggoldfish was basically already doing that for free until they were told to stop.

I'm guessing that their motive is that they don't want their game to be "solved" with perfect data but that's dumb because the pros already do their own data aggregation and metas inevitably reach an equilibrium anyway.

That reminds me, the Metagame Analysis project I did turned out to work pretty well. I should post about it once I get home and have access to my PC with Mathematica on it. It's probably going to work best in Modern but since no real-world matchup data is publicly available it's not going to be particularly useful unless I can aggregate a bunch of data myself. :argh:

Old people sometimes have a hard time with dealing with time moving forward. I am sure he grumbles about the internet and anything else progressive in his life.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Sickening posted:

Old people sometimes have a hard time with dealing with time moving forward. I am sure he grumbles about the internet and anything else progressive in his life.

Sure, if you consider papers by John von Neumann or John Nash to be a new thing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cactrot posted:

Seems to say Non-land card.

I really want there to be a Grixis Control deck but

A) The wrath not untapping lands gives opponents a chance to come back
B) It being a sorcery also makes it miss some important threats
C) This just gets played in Marvel instead

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
4c Marvel is going to be a thing...
e: Especially if there's cheap black disruption in Hour.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

ThePeavstenator posted:

Sure, if you consider papers by John von Neumann or John Nash to be a new thing.
Back in my day, we did metagame analysis with an abacus and we were thankful!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I'm probably crazy but this doesn't seem great in marvel to me. But then, I don't play standard

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

the funny thing is, the last time MTGO datamining was possible, during Khans Standard, the data showed a much more balanced format than the 'Siege Rhino OP' conventional wisdom narrative. pretty much every tier 1 & 2 deck was within a few % of 50% vs the field. The only exception was that the Sphinx's Tutelage mill deck that spiked a GP was basically unplayably bad (I think it was like 36% vs the field), and WotC made MTGGoldfish get rid of all their winrate data shortly after this came to light.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Dehtraen posted:

Nonland is enormously worse than creature in this instance, because it means his +2 doesn't necessarily protect himself. If it's creatures only, you can jam Bolas and your fail case is hitting a mana dork or some value idiot like Thraben Inspector - not exactly a backbreaking swing or a great use of seven mana, but at least they can jump in front of the God-Pharaoh and let you spin again next turn. With any noncreature spell you're running a very real risk of hitting complete air like Attune, and even a lot of good spells that won't put a body on board to protect your planeswalker.

He also doesn't stabilize very well from behind. His minus kills most things, but it leaves him dangerously low on loyalty and a lot of the threats in this format don't give a poo poo about sorcery-speed removal, and he can't wipe the board. If I wanted a card like this, Big Chandra costs one less mana and seems like she does a better job at both stabilizing and consistently ending the game.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah I'm pretty underwhelmed by Bolas, seems weaker than Karn despite the costing being a lot more prohibitive

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah I'm pretty underwhelmed by Bolas, seems weaker than Karn despite the costing being a lot more prohibitive

It's hugely weaker than Karn, to the point where it doesn't even warrant a direct comparison. You can't cast it on turn 3, and it doesn't have Karn's insane loyalty accumulation to let it function through pressure.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

I'm probably crazy but this doesn't seem great in marvel to me. But then, I don't play standard

In comparison to Ulamog yeah it's not hot, but once that rotates out it seems pretty good

tho i will allow that I might just want it to be good, rather then having any basis for fairly reasoining if it is good

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Okay so first you resolve a Sweep Away on an attacking Ulamog and then–

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
It seems decent to me. The fact he can dome an opponent for 7 is nice, since you can take out opposing planeswalkers with it. If it's good enough in a Marvel/Ulamog world I have no idea, but those won't be in standard forever.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Voyager I posted:

It's hugely weaker than Karn, to the point where it doesn't even warrant a direct comparison. You can't cast it on turn 3, and it doesn't have Karn's insane loyalty accumulation to let it function through pressure.

Karn being castable on turn 3 is an anomaly that has very little to do with Karn's intrinsic merits.

It's still a lot worse and honestly pretty disappointing after the hype.

The wrath on the other hand is pretty exciting and I really like that they're playing around more in the early interaction space.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

GoutPatrol posted:

Is the Battle of Wits deck any good in throwback standard, or am I just going to get poo poo on all day?

Edit: Voiding a Wax/Wane and Seal of Cleansing from my opp. hand was cool

The Wits deck is reasonably consistent and it just wins some matchups. Slide in particular can't beat Battle of Wits.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

TheKingofSprings posted:

Karn being castable on turn 3 is an anomaly that has very little to do with Karn's intrinsic merits.

It's still a lot worse and honestly pretty disappointing after the hype.

The wrath on the other hand is pretty exciting and I really like that they're playing around more in the early interaction space.

"How fast can I power this out?" is one of the most important factors in card evaluation, and one of the inherent upsides to straight colorless cards is that they are really good at getting ramped into. Nobody is playing Karn one land at a time and he would be a bad card instead of a format staple if you couldn't get him out before your opponent had emptied their hand onto the board.

Being in three colors, none of which are even green, makes Bolas even less of a Karn analogue.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Samut is pretty bad, Bolas is weird in that I think he's backbreaking on turn 4 but weak on turn 9, and that wrath is impossible to evaluate without knowing how much haste and vehicles are in the format.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think that Wrath has the most potential in Modern.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

In comparison to Ulamog yeah it's not hot, but once that rotates out it seems pretty good

tho i will allow that I might just want it to be good, rather then having any basis for fairly reasoining if it is good

Obviously it's worse than Ulamog, that's not the interesting question. The real question is if you play it over 6 mana Chandra, and my instinct is "no". Chandra doesn't require the token dip into black, comes down a turn earlier if you're hardcasting her, and wipes the board against zombies or other creature decks. Nicol Bolas is probably slightly better against control since he pressures their hand so well, but I can't imagine Chandra is bad there either. He seems quite a bit better against midrange because he actually kills a big threat, but I don't think there's really a midrange deck in standard ATM? Again though, I haven't played this standard at all so this is even more theorycrafty than most theorycrafting

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Compared to Ugins power as a control card a few years ago, it seems fairly weak, and Ugin didn't even have any color requirements.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think that Wrath has the most potential in Modern.

It does for sure. The problem is that it basically wants a deck that can cast it off artifacts.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

The wrath costs 6+ mana, it's only better than a 'normal' wrath in situations where your opponent has dumped their whole hand on turns 1-3 and you need to sweep or die.

Sickening posted:

It does for sure. The problem is that it basically wants a deck that can cast it off artifacts.

You still lose a turn's worth of mana regardless of how you cast it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

ThePeavstenator posted:

Hell, even the specific phenomenon of using the internet to solve Magic metagames has been around for 20+ years at this point.