Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Is there a Vue app for the Shield?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yes, it works pretty well from my week of playing around with it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krime posted:

Is there a Vue app for the Shield?

Yes. The Shield TV runs Android TV OS. The Vue app on Shield has the same features as the Fire TV and tvOS app. And just like those, the only thing they don't have he PS4 client has is multi-channel viewing.

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
before i do anything dumb, does adfree time still unblock netflix regions, or is that dead?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Jxforema posted:

before i do anything dumb, does adfree time still unblock netflix regions, or is that dead?

It still does that, yeah.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I just wanted to say that it bugs the crap out of me that sling is rebranding itself as "a la carte TV" but it's not at all.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Thanks to everyone for the FireTV / shield interface discussion upthread. I wound up getting a FireTV and so far it seems to be a massive improvement over the Roku, both in general and (especially) for PS Vue.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Annual Prophet posted:

Thanks to everyone for the FireTV / shield interface discussion upthread. I wound up getting a FireTV and so far it seems to be a massive improvement over the Roku, both in general and (especially) for PS Vue.

That is pretty much par for the course with all things Roku. They are quickly falling behind. From what I understand developing on Roku is a bit difficult anyways if you want a nice interface, and the relatively slow hardware likely doesn't help matters.

IMHO, Android TV/FireTV and AppleTV are moving ahead, Roku just seems to be coasting along.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Directv Now is available on Roku now.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

We finally bit the bullet after Comcast decided that they weren't charging us appropriately for our cablecard, and were going to increase our bill by $10/month. So, off with triple-play, going with pure internet now. We came close in the past, but we seem to be in a poo poo location for decent OTA coverage--my tests seemed to show that I'd have to point the antenna in 2-3 locations to get the 4-5 major OTA networks here.

I do have a quick question...can a Tivo box that's new enough to have the built-in streaming apps for Netflix, Hulu, etc, still use those streaming apps if we cancel the Tivo sub? I can't really find much of a clear answer. If not, no biggie, the bluray player has apps and a Chromecast/FireTV/Roku is cheap, but if we don't need to switch...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

wandler20 posted:

Directv Now is available on Roku now.

Thank God they matched the existing DTVnow UI and didn't try to build some half-assed Roku UI (looking at you HBO)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDJZ7fToLxk

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
so does watching HD cable TV as much bandwidth as streaming the same show? How come cable TV never has to buffer or anything?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ein cooler Typ posted:

so does watching HD cable TV as much bandwidth as streaming the same show? How come cable TV never has to buffer or anything?

The way cable works is each node for a neighborhood (or street, or however it's divided in your area) is constantly tuning the most popular channels. When your tuner requests a channel the node sends that stream to it. If your tuner requests one that isn't on the set of channels, the node has to acquire the stream in order to send it to you (that's why some channels take longer to tune than others). There's no reason for there to be buffering because the streams are constantly there, just waiting for you to access them.

That's basic and missing a lot of detail but you get the general idea.

As for bandwidth, cable is very constrained so it's difficult to know exactly how much you're getting but it's certainly less that you'd see on DirecTV or OTA.

Does that answer your questions?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

The way cable works is each node for a neighborhood (or street, or however it's divided in your area) is constantly tuning the most popular channels. When your tuner requests a channel the node sends that stream to it. If your tuner requests one that isn't on the set of channels, the node has to acquire the stream in order to send it to you (that's why some channels take longer to tune than others). There's no reason for there to be buffering because the streams are constantly there, just waiting for you to access them.

Eh, not quite. What you describe here is SDV (Switched Digital Video) and it's usually only used for OnDemand Channels (for providers that haven't switched to IP based OnDemand.) Some cable operators use it for linear channels, but it's not all that common with most providers (you know if you have to use a tuning adapter with TiVo.)

In the vast majority of the cases, all channels are sent all the time to all homes. It's more akin to radio or cellular signal in the respect that each channel is modulated and combined with other channels on a chunk of frequency. Most cable systems use what's caused 256-QAM. 256-QAM divides spectrum to 6mhz channels each being able to transport 38.47 Mbit/s of data. The typical modern cable plant is 900mhz or 1ghz.

So, for a 1ghz plant you would have about 165 QAM channels each capable of carrying 38.47mbps of data. A chunk of those channels are reserved for internet data. Here's also where cable Nodes come into play since how many households those reserved channels serve determine how congested things are.

For the rest of linear cable, it's pretty simple. Each transport stream is modulated with others on one of those 6mhz channels. How many channels they stick on each 6mhz channel is what they call "QAM stuffing" and is what leads to lower image quality. If you stuff 5 MPEG2 channels on one QAM channel (not uncommon in cable) each MPEG2 stream only has a little over 7mbps to breath which really isn't enough for 1080i MPEG2.

By contrast, a 1080p stream on Netflix is about 5.5mbps, but it's MPEG4.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

stevewm posted:

That is pretty much par for the course with all things Roku. They are quickly falling behind. From what I understand developing on Roku is a bit difficult anyways if you want a nice interface, and the relatively slow hardware likely doesn't help matters.

IMHO, Android TV/FireTV and AppleTV are moving ahead, Roku just seems to be coasting along.

Does Roku make any money off anything purchased via their hardware? It seems like they're destined to fail because Apple, Google, and Amazon make money from content as well as hardware.

My old Roku LT is still doing duty at my mom's house. Which is great for longevity, but sucks for Roku since they make zero dollars unless you buy more units.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Roku is an AD network company first. The hardware is just a means to deliver ads.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Which service would give me the most fool proof setup on my Shield? I'm trying out PS Vue but I'm not impressed. I'm using a logitech remote to control it and the interface is laggy as heck and the layout makes no sense. I can't find a way to quickly switch between shows or exit the app without grabbing a keyboard.

I wouldn't mind buying a new remote if it meant I could get this to be a bit easier to use but I'd rather not get another device (like a roku or fire tv).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Roku is an AD network company first. The hardware is just a means to deliver ads.

????

They have like a single poster sized space on the homepage for ads or content already on the device, like Hulu or HBO.

They make most of their money selling devices. Maybe some selling analytics data. Certainly not ads.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Horn posted:

Which service would give me the most fool proof setup on my Shield? I'm trying out PS Vue but I'm not impressed. I'm using a logitech remote to control it and the interface is laggy as heck and the layout makes no sense. I can't find a way to quickly switch between shows or exit the app without grabbing a keyboard.

I wouldn't mind buying a new remote if it meant I could get this to be a bit easier to use but I'd rather not get another device (like a roku or fire tv).

Is the lag just in the PS Vue app, or is it all over the Shield? I use a harmony remote paired over bluetooth to my Shield 2017 (didn't come with IR so I have to use bluetooth) and there's no lag between my button presses and the actions on screen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FCKGW posted:

????

They have like a single poster sized space on the homepage for ads or content already on the device, like Hulu or HBO.

They make most of their money selling devices. Maybe some selling analytics data. Certainly not ads.

Over 25% (and growing) of their revenue comes from their ad network and data analytics.

Hardware is currently the majority of the revenue, but it's been shrinking for awhile. The forward business model is their ad network with platform licensing to TV manufacturers.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah, I just looked up what types of ads people are getting and it looks like they have an ad network that channel makers can utilize to insert ads at channel launch or any time during.
None of my frequently used channel apps have these ads so I guess I've just never really seen them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

This is, ultimately, where I think Roku is going to crater.

They are essentially going up directly against Google. Right now, their financials are strong, but their platform is quickly becoming the odd man out with the only saving grace being able to make a channel quickly. However, when you do that you get a very ugly channel.

So, if a service wants cohesive branding across all platforms, Roku represents a significant investment when the provider can simply target iOS and Android and hit the majority of the market (including Amazon devices.)

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Roku doesn't give a poo poo about in home stuff anymore, they are a digital signage company now (see Bright sign)

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, I just looked up what types of ads people are getting and it looks like they have an ad network that channel makers can utilize to insert ads at channel launch or any time during.
None of my frequently used channel apps have these ads so I guess I've just never really seen them.

I've never seen that and I use a ton of the most popular apps. I have a hard time believing that.

On the other hand we're all probably forgetting that Fandango BS in the menu that we have all probably turned off in settings long ago and forgotten about.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Croatoan posted:

I have a hard time believing that.

The financials are a matter of public record, so it's not really a matter of belief.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Is the lag just in the PS Vue app, or is it all over the Shield? I use a harmony remote paired over bluetooth to my Shield 2017 (didn't come with IR so I have to use bluetooth) and there's no lag between my button presses and the actions on screen.

The slowness is just in the app. The weird thing is that I tried using a keyboard that's hooked up and its a bit faster. The rest of the shield is totally fine with IR (but all I really use are youtube and SPMC).

Are you also using PS Vue? The channel lineup and pricing are perfect for me so I'm willing to jump through a few hoops if I can this thing to be more natural to use.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Horn posted:

The slowness is just in the app. The weird thing is that I tried using a keyboard that's hooked up and its a bit faster. The rest of the shield is totally fine with IR (but all I really use are youtube and SPMC).

Are you also using PS Vue? The channel lineup and pricing are perfect for me so I'm willing to jump through a few hoops if I can this thing to be more natural to use.

Nah, no streaming cable stuff. Was just wondering if the slow responsive was system-wide or specific to the Vue app.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

bull3964 posted:

The financials are a matter of public record, so it's not really a matter of belief.

No I believe their revenue is ad based, I just have never seen an ad load when I launch an app and doubt that's where their ad revenue is coming from. Way to get weirdly defensive though?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Eh, not quite. What you describe here is SDV (Switched Digital Video) and it's usually only used for OnDemand Channels (for providers that haven't switched to IP based OnDemand.) Some cable operators use it for linear channels, but it's not all that common with most providers (you know if you have to use a tuning adapter with TiVo.)

In the vast majority of the cases, all channels are sent all the time to all homes. It's more akin to radio or cellular signal in the respect that each channel is modulated and combined with other channels on a chunk of frequency. Most cable systems use what's caused 256-QAM. 256-QAM divides spectrum to 6mhz channels each being able to transport 38.47 Mbit/s of data. The typical modern cable plant is 900mhz or 1ghz.

So, for a 1ghz plant you would have about 165 QAM channels each capable of carrying 38.47mbps of data. A chunk of those channels are reserved for internet data. Here's also where cable Nodes come into play since how many households those reserved channels serve determine how congested things are.

For the rest of linear cable, it's pretty simple. Each transport stream is modulated with others on one of those 6mhz channels. How many channels they stick on each 6mhz channel is what they call "QAM stuffing" and is what leads to lower image quality. If you stuff 5 MPEG2 channels on one QAM channel (not uncommon in cable) each MPEG2 stream only has a little over 7mbps to breath which really isn't enough for 1080i MPEG2.

By contrast, a 1080p stream on Netflix is about 5.5mbps, but it's MPEG4.

Thanks for the clarification. In my area it was all SDV the last time I looked (and that was a long time ago, maybe ten years?) so I wasn't sure if anything had changed but suspected it probably had. I don't know anyone with cable television so it's easy for me to fall behind with what's actually deployed.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Horn posted:

In my experience, the Apple TV is the fastest of them all, with the PS4 coming in a close second.

Shield TV/Fire TV 4K are both the slowest to launch, but seem to act normally once launched.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
This looks interesting:

https://twitter.com/engadget/status/870299218254155777

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

If you have an HDHomeRun and have PLEX Pass, the DVR is now officially out of beta (even in beta it works extraordinarily well). They've also added being able to watch live OTA as a Beta feature for PLEX Pass.

Personally, I got rid of my Hulu subscription once I started using the DVR function on my PLEX server.

https://arstechnica.com/business/2017/06/got-an-antenna-and-a-tuner-you-can-now-stream-live-tv-with-plex/

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Reading over the specs of this, I wouldn't be thrilled to fork over $250 for a DVR that only has 64GB of internal storage. And then there's a $5 a month subscription cost for the guide data.

For that kind of money, you could get a decently versatile NAS setup with a Plex-like DVR system.

Well, maybe not. It might be worth it if you don't want to buy a separate tuner like a HDHomeRun since it has a dual tuner built in.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
People love recommending Tablo but every first hand account I've heard of owning one makes it sound second-rate as hell.

In other news, though, Plex is adding Live TV for Plex Pass users. I already use the DVR on my Xbox One, live channel viewing should be nice for my phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thwomp posted:

Reading over the specs of this, I wouldn't be thrilled to fork over $250 for a DVR that only has 64GB of internal storage. And then there's a $5 a month subscription cost for the guide data.

For that kind of money, you could get a decently versatile NAS setup with a Plex-like DVR system.

Well, maybe not. It might be worth it if you don't want to buy a separate tuner like a HDHomeRun since it has a dual tuner built in.

Well, no, with that kind of money you just buy a drat Tivo for OTA.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just use Emby, gently caress Plex.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Actually, Plex is good.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

Actually, Plex is good.

Did they ever fix AC3 and all the other audio issues? Also Emby has been doing Live TV for a long time

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Photex posted:

Did they ever fix AC3 and all the other audio issues? Also Emby has been doing Live TV for a long time

I haven't heard audio complaints in a long time, so I'm guessing yes. My main client DirectPlays pretty much everything so no issues here.

You'd think that during Emby's "long time" of tuning live TV they'd have come up with a TV tuner setup process that wasnt a total nightmare for 99% of humans. I could walk my mom through setting up Plex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

I haven't heard audio complaints in a long time, so I'm guessing yes. My main client DirectPlays pretty much everything so no issues here.

You'd think that during Emby's "long time" of tuning live TV they'd have come up with a TV tuner setup process that wasnt a total nightmare for 99% of humans. I could walk my mom through setting up Plex.

My HDHomeRun was automatically detected and worked right out of the box with Emby?