Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

rewatching the 2003 TMNT series because I want to watch a good Turtles show

still one of the best twists in animated media ever, in my opinion
Oh absolutely, the fact that they had an Implied Decapitation on a 4kids show makes me appreciate Fox's less insane S&P.

As for best twist, I dunno, Mikey winning the Battle Nexus will never be the best thing ever.

raditts posted:

TMNT '03 turned into hot garbage within a few seasons too.

Yeah but it had the good grace to wait until the first reboot to do that so we got Five good seasons of it.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I gave up on TMNT 2012 shortly after they decided to punish Karai for having a moment's happiness by transforming her into a snake monster.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's another problem with the show. To be important you have to be an alien or a mutant of some kind.

Yes, I know Casey is a normal person.

I said "to be important".

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

raditts posted:

TMNT '03 turned into hot garbage within a few seasons too.

I wouldn't say it turned into hot garbage until the Fourth season which was the one where they were in the future or something iirc (I stopped watching before then). Then they came back and it was breath of fresh air and there was the crossover movie with three "generations" of Turtles.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

I wouldn't say it turned into hot garbage until the Fourth season which was the one where they were in the future or something iirc (I stopped watching before then). Then they came back and it was breath of fresh air and there was the crossover movie with three "generations" of Turtles.

Flash Forward was like Season 6, not 4.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The "back to the sewer" season was pretty bad too. The crossover movie was great though.

as an aside, I wonder if Rob Paulsen has a life goal of being involved with enough TMNT reboots that he can voice each turtle at least once.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Flash Forward was like Season 6, not 4.

Shows how much I paid attention (or cared to look anything up) then

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
And here I was confused at what you guys were talking about, I straight up forgot about Flash Forward and Back to the Sewers.

Casey is the saddest part of TMNT2012 because the show's dumb fixation on Donatello means that "love rivalry" is 80% of Casey's character. Not his relationship with April, and certainly not his friendship with Raph, but how he and Donnie compete. That's the worst.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
His lack of being voiced by Marc Thompson is also a sivere blow.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/869587963587559424

Not my taste but I'm sure people will be happy

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not sure how Animaniacs would work today. The style of humor might be changed slightly.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
There's a timeline where Clinton won, and they can still use the Clinton plays the sax line.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I feel like it's either going to be absurdly good or absolutely terrible. Reviving a property like that, there's not much of a middle ground.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
They should bring back Freakazoid instead.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I can speak firsthand that Ben 10 is really popular in South Africa.
I've seen a couple of those Indian-made nursery rhyme videos that had Ben 10 characters in it, so I would imagine it's a hit there too.
I bet Netflix will pick it up, seeing as the original is already up there. It'll be interesting what direction the new episodes will take.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I feel like it's either going to be absurdly good or absolutely terrible. Reviving a property like that, there's not much of a middle ground.

It takes very sharp writers to pull off the type of show Animaniacs as well as an outlet that'll mostly give them free reign.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Rhonne posted:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rhonne posted:

If this does well enough I could see Freakazoid being another candidate for revival

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Animaniacs didn't have a copyright issue based on Freakazoid's outfit very closely resembling a superhero with similar shtick. though

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Xelkelvos posted:

It takes very sharp writers to pull off the type of show Animaniacs as well as an outlet that'll mostly give them free reign.

It'll be tricky to pull off, to be sure. I don't have a lot of hope that they will, but I certainly wish them well.

edit: I would 100% be supportive of them bringing back Histeria! though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BioEnchanted posted:

Animaniacs didn't have a copyright issue based on Freakazoid's outfit very closely resembling a superhero with similar shtick. though
As really? Who was that??

Freakazoid! Was great because it was juuuuust at the cusp of computers/the Internet mainstreaming. . . Like I remember seeing "AOL Keyword Kelloggs" on my Frosted Flakes box about the same time. As a result, it could be very, very dumb about technology on a very, very fun way.

Dexter Douglas could be a very rich, in shape bro-coder, with his Freakazoid persona kind of a down on his luck diminished relic since everyone has a supercomputer in their hands.

I'm not sure you could do more than a season or two, given that the original was kind of wearing thin itself. But the writers did draw from a lot of pulpy dumb old Hollywood stuff that was nice (Screaaaaam from The Tingler, for example).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

FilthyImp posted:

As really? Who was that??

Freakazoid! Was great because it was juuuuust at the cusp of computers/the Internet mainstreaming. . . Like I remember seeing "AOL Keyword Kelloggs" on my Frosted Flakes box about the same time. As a result, it could be very, very dumb about technology on a very, very fun way.

Dexter Douglas could be a very rich, in shape bro-coder, with his Freakazoid persona kind of a down on his luck diminished relic since everyone has a supercomputer in their hands.

I'm not sure you could do more than a season or two, given that the original was kind of wearing thin itself. But the writers did draw from a lot of pulpy dumb old Hollywood stuff that was nice (Screaaaaam from The Tingler, for example).

The writer of this comic spent most of the show silent but then later accused it of plagiarising this character due to similar personalities and the same type of emblem of his chest: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madman_(Image_Comics)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Guy who turns his head into a brain is pretty on the nose.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

BioEnchanted posted:

The writer of this comic spent most of the show silent but then later accused it of plagiarising this character due to similar personalities and the same type of emblem of his chest: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madman_(Image_Comics)

Eh I'm not really seeing it, besides Freakazoid was originally going to be a Creeper series before they decided to go with something more original

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

There's a timeline where Clinton won, and they can still use the Clinton plays the sax line.

Alternative facts.:v:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Look, Freakzoid is pretty much the internet incarnate. Do we really want a new Freakazoid spouting dated memes because it takes half a year to release the episodes. I say leave Freakazoid dead.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

Eh I'm not really seeing it, besides Freakazoid was originally going to be a Creeper series before they decided to go with something more original

Yeah the Creeper episode of BTAS is basically a dry run for a series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g3uGE3aD-A

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hihohe posted:

Look, Freakzoid is pretty much the internet incarnate. Do we really want a new Freakazoid spouting dated memes because it takes half a year to release the episodes. I say leave Freakazoid dead.
The show spouted old memes left and right -- they were just sourced from a different time. That thing from The Tingler (CandleJack's scream prompt), Relax-o-Vision using Theme from a Summer Place, Lobe's Big Musical Number (complete with Louis Armstrong stand-in)... those were all old people cultural signifiers.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Animaniacs is those kinds of cultural references times 10 though, it's one after the other, never stopping.

I once heard somebody's explanation of the Simpsons that the show relied heavily on a sort of zeitgeist that you only get with there being relatively few channels that everybody in the country is watching at the same time, and now in the modern day where we are spoiled for choice, and you even have the leisure to go through a series at your own pace, you can't do that sort of thing anymore, and I feel like Animaniacs might be like that too.

drrockso20 posted:

I think it was the other way around, Bruce Timm and Paul Dini were originally working on Freakazoid until Speilberg decided he wanted something funnier, and the Creeper Episode was just them recycling the sort of thing they were trying to make Freakazoid into.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006

Rhonne posted:

Well, they did sing "We'll Meet Again" in the final episode...

Quest For Glory II posted:

Not my taste but I'm sure people will be happy

I can't wait for Yakko's World, 2017 edition. He'll need a whole verse just for what's become of Yugoslavia.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'll be honest, a better choice for modern revival would probably be Rocko's Modern Life. Seems more relevant considering it was often delving into topical/observational humour without relying on memes, with really clever visual metaphors at times. With all the shows that we currently have going based on strong characters with complex lives, the Bigheads would be a huge hit considering that Ed Bighead is a highly strung overworked man who has little time for his wife due to exhaustion. That marriage is rife for potential, as are that shows other subplots, and of course you can have new subplots with similarly relatable situations. With how different things are from 20 years ago the show would have tons of material to mine for new jokes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rocko Modern Life was '90s as gently caress though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yeah but I feel the jokes could be updated.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

There are a looooot of old references on Animaniacs. The Goodfeathers were based on a movie that was contemporary at the time, but stuff like The Brain's line-for-line recreation of the Orson Welles frozen peas commercial (outside of the lines that were sanitized because it was a kid's show) decidedly weren't.

A reboot of Rocko's Modern Life is something I can see working. Wasn't there a push a year or so ago by Nickelodeon to bring back some of their old Nicktoon franchises? It's not like they've got much else going for them.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 1, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

get that OUT of my face posted:

There are a looooot of old references on Animaniacs. The Goodfeathers were based on a movie that was contemporary at the time, but stuff like The Brain's line-for-line recreation of the Orson Welles frozen peas commercial (outside of the lines that were sanitized because it was a kid's show) decidedly weren't.
I'm probably way wrong, but I always felt that the Warners were there to skewer contemporary pop culture, while the show relied on the tertiary recurring characters to go more genre. Like Slappy was the decidedly Old Hollywood has-been eating catfood, Goodfeathers were all that Mafioso crime stuff, etc.

I mean, I know it's wrong because the Warners go visit Freud and poo poo, but to my dumb kid self it seemed a pretty current show.

quote:

Wasn't there a push a year or so ago by Nickelodeon to bring back some of their old Nicktoon franchises? It's not like they've got much else going for them.
They were getting the Hey Arnold movie where his parents come back off the ground, so I heard.

They exhumed a bunch of 90s NickToons a few years ago for a retro Snick on Nick at Night (I think), which culminated in them developing The Splat/shoving blocks of Rocko, Doug and the others on the Teen Nick or Nicktoons channel.

They probably just figured it was easier to mine nostalgia than to spend money actually making new shows from old ideas. We saw how that turned out in the 00s with Ren and Stimpy...

Also this poo poo sucks because they never bring Roundhouse back and they really just need to do a retro Snick block peppered with their 90s commercials as a counter Adult Swim.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
There's also the upcoming Invader Zim movie.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I feel like a modern version of Rocko's Modern Life would be pretty close to Regular Show or Quintel's new series for TBS.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
New Rocko would kick rear end. Unfortunately the creators are going to be busy with MML for a while and I don't think the show would work without their sense of humor.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wound up rewatching all of Ed, Edd, and Eddy, mainly because of so many of its episodes are just out on youtube, and it holds up surprisingly well. I forgot that so many of the episodes weren't actually focused on Eddy's scams and there were plenty of episodes focused on things like fitting in with the rest of the kids or solving some problem one of the Eds has.

I was also surprised at just how much background music there was, but it's not as obnoxious as when I watch old Animaniacs with all its slide whistles and pianos and xylophones plinking and plonking every which way that drives me crazy. There's a real cohesive aesthetic that all the music follows.

Towards the end, the show gets kinda mean. I don't know if the cartoon violence gets more exaggerated or what, but something about it all seems worse. The movie gets downright intense, although it is satisfying at the end. The only thing about the movie I didn't like was Johnny 2x4 getting shafted. Throughout the rest of the series he practically becomes the 4th Ed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

readingatwork posted:

New Rocko would kick rear end. Unfortunately the creators are going to be busy with MML for a while and I don't think the show would work without their sense of humor.

You could probably get the majority of the cast back pretty easily as well seeing as I believe most of them are still in the industry. Only problem is that the show was already pushing the limits of what could be allowed to be shown in a kids cartoon so removing those limits runs the risk of the show going overboard ala the terrible Ren & Stimpy revival back in the 00s.