Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
How are Asimov's robot detective novels?

I feel like he might be more successful if he is explicitly working in a genre that isn't hard S sci fi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I feel like he might be more successful if he is explicitly working in a genre that isn't hard S sci fi
They're basically robot stories recast as detective mysteries which makes them a bit more interesting, though I wouldn't say they're amazingly done either. What you would assume to be the main focal point of the books (the partnership and friendship between a human and robot cop) is not really the point to Asimov. That said I liked them better than a lot of his novels.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I liked them quite a bit

They have some good buddy cop moments to lighten the robot philosophizing

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Ok I like the story about the robot pope

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
FerretBrain's Arthur B did one of his trademark mega-reviews of Asimov's robot novels, and it's pretty good and entertaining.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It really can be amazing how ludicrously bad Asimov's writing can get when he's trying to write novels. Compare "Nightfall" the short story, which is amazing, possibly the greatest SF short story of all time, with Nightfall the novel, which is actively painful to read.

This is typical for especially golden age authors because you need more than a really good idea to write a good novel. Bester comes to mind as an excellent exception to the norm, where he not only loads the novel up with multiple ideas but has enough plotting and characterization to carry it through to the end. Sadly he only had two good novels in him.

It's also why short stories elaborated into novels tend to be so dire.

The End of Eternity's pretty good though and it sort of boils down to a single idea (our timeline is not the original, but the result of conscious sabotage to make life harder on mankind so it'll advance).

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 1, 2017

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Antti posted:

Bester comes to mind as an excellent exception to the norm, where he not only loads the novel up with multiple ideas but has enough plotting and characterization to carry it through to the end. Sadly he only had two good novels in him.

To be fair, each of those two is worth more than many other authors' entire output.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It really can be amazing how ludicrously bad Asimov's writing can get when he's trying to write novels. Compare "Nightfall" the short story, which is amazing, possibly the greatest SF short story of all time, with Nightfall the novel, which is actively painful to read.

I really liked the short story, one of those stories that really sticks with you, so I'm afraid to ask how they could have possibly spun it out into a full novel.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Snuffman posted:

I really liked the short story, one of those stories that really sticks with you, so I'm afraid to ask how they could have possibly spun it out into a full novel.

They didn't. I was lying. Why would anyone do that? It would be such a bad idea!

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm not even sure how to respond.

Don't bother. Goons are dumb. I'm with you. Not that only male protagonists delve into creepy sex stuff, but there is a high proportion of it. Male gaze is, in fact, defined by...male protagonists. Gazing. At women. And elaborating on what part of her anatomy they're gazing at. Sometimes before the woman even gets a spoken line.

Usually goons get that and it's specifically the main complaint about Dresden Files or other urban fantasy that anyone has. I guess there's just some easily-offended (white) men in the thread right now. :shrug:

Of course, there's always the people who show up to say how they refuse to read fantasy written by women just because it's written by women, whenever someone points out that a reading list is entirely written by men when sexism is still a problem in genre fiction, so...y'know.

Daniel Faust was refreshing for mostly avoiding male gaze, featuring major LGBQ characters, being aware of race issues, and writing women well - as in, you first learn something about their personality, not how fuckable they are. I keep finding new ways to appreciate Schaefer as a writer.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Antti posted:

This is typical for especially golden age authors because you need more than a really good idea to write a good novel. Bester comes to mind as an excellent exception to the norm, where he not only loads the novel up with multiple ideas but has enough plotting and characterization to carry it through to the end. Sadly he only had two good novels in him.

Hey, I liked The Computer Connection. But more because it's a decent novel and the setting is batshit insane than it's as good as his truly great novels.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Did we know Tad Williams is about to publish a the first book in a 30 years later followup trilogy to Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn? Because I just found out.

And do we care? I'm trying and mostly failing, 500 pages of being lost in the woods apparently blocked any memory of the actual plot and characters.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Did we know Tad Williams is about to publish a the first book in a 30 years later followup trilogy to Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn? Because I just found out.

And do we care? I'm trying and mostly failing, 500 pages of being lost in the woods apparently blocked any memory of the actual plot and characters.

I heard Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn were better, but after reading Otherland, I think I'll probably skip the rest of Williams' oeuvre.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

I liked MS&T but I don't think it brings anything to the table that isn't done as well or better somewhere else. Not to mention the ending wrapped everything up so cleanly that a sequel seems like a silly idea.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I think it was pretty great for its time, but a lot of things there have been done better in the last thirty years. I last read it 20 years ago, though, so YMMV.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
Bridge of Birds was indeed an outstanding book. Sherlock Holmes with a slight flaw in his character and burly Watson running around fantasy China solving crimes and correcting cosmic wrongs. Are the sequels any good?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Neurophage posted:

Bridge of Birds was indeed an outstanding book. Sherlock Holmes with a slight flaw in his character and burly Watson running around fantasy China solving crimes and correcting cosmic wrongs. Are the sequels any good?

Yes.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Neurophage posted:

Not as good as Bridge of Birds but not bad at all. I can see why Hughart called it a day after three books though

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Clipperton posted:

Not as good as Bridge of Birds but not bad at all. I can see why Hughart called it a day after three books though

He didn't exactly call it a day--the publisher was like 'welp, your numbers are down, not interested in more'. The eternal fate of the midlister, in other words. He intended to write like seven or something. Still, the quality was already declining so it might be for the best. I just looked it up and Hughart is like 83 now, he started writing pretty late I guess, so probably not jumping on the digital self-pub revolution.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

occamsnailfile posted:

I just looked it up and Hughart is like 83 now
:eyepop:

And here I was hoping for the other four books just to get to the planned ending where they died and became minor deities doing the exact same thing, but in Heaven.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Alas, the Mysterious Mountain Cavern of Winds showdown will forever remain a mystery.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

occamsnailfile posted:

He didn't exactly call it a day--the publisher was like 'welp, your numbers are down, not interested in more'. The eternal fate of the midlister, in other words. He intended to write like seven or something. Still, the quality was already declining so it might be for the best. I just looked it up and Hughart is like 83 now, he started writing pretty late I guess, so probably not jumping on the digital self-pub revolution.
Thing is, even with the declining quality, at this rate he'd still have at least a couple humorous fantasy novels in him before becoming a, say, Asprin or Holt. And a whole lot of books before turning into a John Moore.

I guess what I'm saying is that Hughart in decline was still a whole lot better than most of the subgenre. Shame digital distribution came too late.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

And to be clear, it wasn't so much the publisher saying "welp, your numbers are down, not interested in more" as the publisher actively loving him (Hughart) over at nearly every opportunity, then whining that his numbers were down.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Thing is, even with the declining quality, at this rate he'd still have at least a couple humorous fantasy novels in him before becoming a, say, Asprin or Holt. And a whole lot of books before turning into a John Moore.

I guess what I'm saying is that Hughart in decline was still a whole lot better than most of the subgenre. Shame digital distribution came too late.

I don't know about Holt as a comic writer, but he is amazing as KJ Parker.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Megazver posted:

I don't know about Holt as a comic writer, but he is amazing as KJ Parker.
Agreed. Took him a while to find his niche though.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I saw House of Suns at the library yesterday and picked it up on a whim. I like Reynolds enough, though Revelation Space really lost its steam after the third book, to the point where I couldn't really start the fourth.

So far I'm loving it, it does a really cool thing with the idea of galactic stagnation and space travel taking a very, very long time. And I detect a bit of influence from The Fifth Head of Cerberus which is always welcome.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

I saw House of Suns at the library yesterday and picked it up on a whim. I like Reynolds enough, though Revelation Space really lost its steam after the third book, to the point where I couldn't really start the fourth.

So far I'm loving it, it does a really cool thing with the idea of galactic stagnation and space travel taking a very, very long time. And I detect a bit of influence from The Fifth Head of Cerberus which is always welcome.

House of Suns and Chasm City are the only Reynold books I liked. Terminal City and Century Rain were mediocre. Haven't read his latest trilogy though.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Hobb is only slightly more tolerable than Rothfuss, as a novelist, ande worse than Martin, who is still bad.

...You know, I smell another essay!
Honestly please do, i'd be interested (I have not read her books outside of the Assasin trilogy, which I mostly liked, but I read a few synopsis of some of the latter ones and they seem a little yikes) and i'm curious to see why you think that.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Neurophage posted:

House of Suns and Chasm City are the only Reynold books I liked. Terminal City and Century Rain were mediocre. Haven't read his latest trilogy though.

I really wanted to like chasm city but i had one gripe with it: (chasm city spoilers ahead)

i could never figure this out: the protagonist is sky hausmann, who was mind-wiped into thinking he is tanner mirabel - both of whom were super cunning and ruthless, with sky himself being an actual genius - so why during the events of the novel is he such a bumbling fuckhead?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

andrew smash posted:

i could never figure this out: the protagonist is sky hausmann, who was mind-wiped into thinking he is tanner mirabel - both of whom were super cunning and ruthless, with sky himself being an actual genius - so why during the events of the novel is he such a bumbling fuckhead?
My interpretation was that Tanner was a pretty nice guy before Sky fed him to his pet snake. But it's more likely that Reynolds can't do characterization.
I still like that book a lot, mind you.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

It's a noir in space, don't overthink it.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

andrew smash posted:

I really wanted to like chasm city but i had one gripe with it: (chasm city spoilers ahead)

Because super cunning and ruthless protagonists makes for boring books, since there is literally no challenge for the protagonist.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

:same:
I kinda like Tad Williams, but he is on the same order as Hobb when it comes to tormenting his protagonists.
The Shadow series was kinda good though.

Xaris posted:

Honestly please do, i'd be interested (I have not read her books outside of the Assasin trilogy, which I mostly liked, but I read a few synopsis of some of the latter ones and they seem a little yikes) and i'm curious to see why you think that.

Do you like wall of texts? Cause that is what you get from BotL.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

But it's more likely that Reynolds can't do characterization.

Yeah, that's his weakness, and I appreciate that he's a strong writer despite that. But gently caress if I remember anything about any of his protagonists. The archaeologist guy was cool I guess.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

But it's more likely that Reynolds can't do characterization.

Pushing Ice is such a fantastic concept and it is almost a masterpiece, but holy hell is the antagonist poorly thought out. Her motivation just seems to be, "Eh no, gently caress you. I will totally cut my face off and half my loving brain just to spite you bitch. I'm the boss."

And then the entire volte brain at the end, whereby she dedicates whatever her half-life is now to finding satellites because she was incomprehensibly stupid and sad for what she did as she now has a window into her nemesis' mind."

I can almost sympathise with her, because the protagonist just lets her get away with it, because "wring hands, there are so few of us," then more people die because of the next betrayal.

Why didn't the protag just Ice her turncoat arse, after the 2nd betrayal?

:mad: :psyduck:

I could have been so good.

Chasm City is a less good Use of Weapons. Still a nice example of that particular asymmetric plot device.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Echo Cian posted:

Don't bother. Goons are dumb. I'm with you. Not that only male protagonists delve into creepy sex stuff, but there is a high proportion of it. Male gaze is, in fact, defined by...male protagonists. Gazing. At women. And elaborating on what part of her anatomy they're gazing at. Sometimes before the woman even gets a spoken line.

Usually goons get that and it's specifically the main complaint about Dresden Files or other urban fantasy that anyone has. I guess there's just some easily-offended (white) men in the thread right now. :shrug:

Of course, there's always the people who show up to say how they refuse to read fantasy written by women just because it's written by women, whenever someone points out that a reading list is entirely written by men when sexism is still a problem in genre fiction, so...y'know.

Daniel Faust was refreshing for mostly avoiding male gaze, featuring major LGBQ characters, being aware of race issues, and writing women well - as in, you first learn something about their personality, not how fuckable they are. I keep finding new ways to appreciate Schaefer as a writer.

lol

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
it's insanely cool idpol is normalising racism and sexism again from the other side

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
(fascist-enabling) liberal: I choose to treat people as individuals and judge them on their individual merits, much as their context may inform this.

idpol goon: actually, i think you'll find it is more meaningful and true to reduce people to a listing of census data

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 2, 2017

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Cardiac posted:

Do you like wall of texts? Cause that is what you get from BotL.
Dude I loving live for walls of text.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Not being prejudiced is enabling fascism now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Strategic Tea posted:

Not being prejudiced is enabling fascism now?

a lot of antifa left types have been getting their hate on lately for liberals (by which they mean older fashioned liberals) for arguing for things like freedom of speech and thus enabling fascism. i think it is extremely silly but it's the kind of regressive thinking i'm mocking.