Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Rodyle posted:

Proposing Business Before Pleasure -- Conquer Iberia first and foremost and then take whatever steps are necessary ( military buildup, alliances, etc) to crush the Almorhavids and take as much territory from them as possible to punish them for their numerous betrayals.

Control of Iberia should be followed by control of the strait.

Changing my vote to this (mostly to steal their colonial territories in the Caribbean).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Snipee posted:

Changing my vote to this (mostly to steal their colonial territories in the Caribbean).

Hmm...that's a good point, actually. I like being able to expand our colonial holdings, whether by conquest or colonization. And they have got some nice spots.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
Policies:

TildeATH posted:

Proposing Olé -- Conquer Iberia first and foremost and then take back historically Muslim lands like Corsica

TildeATH, Erwin the German, Dick Trauma, RZApublican, catlord, Hitlers Gay Secret.

paragon1 posted:

I want to propose that we build a bunch of Regimental Camps and Barracks for the New Taifas' second policy, but I'm not sure where to suggest they be built/where they've already been built.

paragon1, ThatBasqueGuy, Technowolf, Yvonmukluk.

Rodyle posted:

Proposing Business Before Pleasure -- Conquer Iberia first and foremost and then take whatever steps are necessary ( military buildup, alliances, etc) to crush the Almorhavids and take as much territory from them as possible to punish them for their numerous betrayals.

Rodyle, Frionnel, Lord Cyrahzax, Grizzwold, Snipee.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I, Ralepozozaxe, The Dalai Ullama, Propose the Brothers in Arm(enian)s Act. We should improve relations with the Armenians, get a royal marriage with them, ally them, and help them, whether with troops or moolah in any wars against the Crusaders of Egypt. For too long have the crusaders plagued the holy land, and now the Armenians are proving strong enough to kick them out. With our help, we cant rid the Levant and Egypt of these pests.

Ralepozozaxe.

GunnerJ posted:

Proposing the New World Diplomacy Act: Form the best possible beneficial diplomatic relationship* with one of the mainland native empires west of our island colonies. We'll need their help to deal with the rest of the native empires and then I guess the Ulema can go try to convert them, why not.

GunnerJ.

Talas posted:

Proposing the Northern Colonization Effort: Our islands are a good stepping stone to change the colonization focus to the greater lands in the north. The south of the continent is too sparsely inhabited for Islam to really take root... and for people to buy our stuff. And all that with the added bonus of eventually blocking the Celts or any other European power.
Some virgin lands or florid shores await us!

Talas.

WilliamAnderson posted:

I propose the Southern Colonization Effort. We must colonize the southern continent and divert the trade back to Al-Andalus.

WilliamAnderson.

Soup du Jour posted:

I, Hakam al-Soup of the Loyalists, propose that we build at least one, and more as money allows, Weapons Manufactories. Both our beloved Sultan and the ruling faction seem inclined for war, and we should support our burgeoning industries to support them.

Soup du Jour.

---

Proposed coalitions:

Ulema and Jizrunid Loyalists

Affi posted:

Proposing a Joint Ulema/Loyalist vote!

Our lands need to be converted! Convert any provinces we can in Iberia!

Ulema: Affi, AJ_Impy, Chatrapati, Nine of Eight.
Loyalists: Captain Oblivious, Duey, Zakrelo, Mountaineer.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

paragon1 posted:

I want to propose that we build a bunch of Regimental Camps and Barracks for the New Taifas' second policy, but I'm not sure where to suggest they be built/where they've already been built. Thoughts?

Also is there a limit to how many things can be built in a province?

I support this!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

TildeATH posted:

Proposing Olé -- Conquer Iberia first and foremost and then take back historically Muslim lands like Corsica

I, Lutfi al-Uthman, of the New Taifas, endorse this proposition! With so few friends we really don't need to alienate the few friends that we have, even if the slights of the Almoravids are many.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

Rodyle posted:

I support this. As a merchant in a past life this is appealing to me.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Affi posted:

:agreed:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Allah dammit, pick one enemy to fight and let us develop our military!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Yo Merchants, I know it's a bummer we lost the majority but there are enough of us to vote on one of the three proposed policies at least. If all else fails I guess I can withdraw mine and support one of the other two, but... :smith:

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Affi posted:

Support!

tunapirate
Aug 15, 2015

Affi posted:

I'll vote for this proposal.

Mr_Autoshades
Dec 5, 2016

Rodyle posted:

Endorsing this Proposal, We need to reduce these traitors ability to attack our heartland before they decide to utilize it.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

Affi posted:

About time we get to actually convert a province!

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I vote for the New World Diplomacy Act

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Rodyle posted:

Agreed. The perfidious Berbers must be taught it is al-Andalus who will rule in the West!

Also, this'll cripple their tea markets. And you know what THAT means...

Edit - However, I advocate against any adventurism East unless it poses an existential threat to our country, our colonies, or the faith. Let those unwashed heathens rebel in that overgrown lake! We have a fresh world to look towards!

Samovar fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 1, 2017

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Rodyle posted:

why would we want an indefensible exclave in Italy when we could remove the dagger from our back?

If you're worried about Palermo so much you could always suggest vassalizing it. Without Sardinia, Corsica, and the Balears, any direct Italian possessions become difficult to defend anyway.

I don't, but if you want to rant nonsensically about traitors then surely you should start with Palermo? You know, the guys who made war on us in a moment of weakness?

You can remove the dagger from our back by re-allying the people who have marched to our defense multiple times. This also avoids the absolute idiocy of leaving us vulnerable to a war on two fronts with larger powers!

And make no mistake, if we take the other side of the straits from their rightful Muslim owners like a pack of mad dogs, we WILL be forever fighting on two fronts.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Rodyle posted:

I would like to change my vote to this. I'm in the mood for punishment!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

paragon1 posted:

I don't, but if you want to rant nonsensically about traitors then surely you should start with Palermo?
Did Palermo literally ally with the French?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It really can't be overstated what perfidious fuckers the Moroccans are and their alliance with the French can never be forgiven :colbert:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Rodyle posted:

Did Palermo literally ally with the French?

They made war on us after the French finished killing people. So as good as.

Them being allied with the French just makes attacking them even more insane, especially without increasing the size of the army first.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Like at least break that alliance first so we don't have to fight the two strongest nearby military powers at the same time.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Can't wait until the New Taifas get us trapped in a war on two fronts.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The proposal specifically grants the Sultan free reign to use whatever tactics are needed, including breaking up that alliance.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Affi posted:

I concur, with the caveat that our brothers of the Book must not be coerced by force, only by the light of Allah and word of the Prophet (PBUH).

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Mountaineer posted:

Can't wait until we're weeping for there are no new lands to conquer.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mountaineer posted:

Yeah, can I urge every one of my fellow New Taifas who doesn't want a two-front war to back Paragon1's proposal to make sure. We can benefit from either conflict, but I feel pursuing both at once is an unsound plan. Better to choose one and focus on building up our forces for future conflicts, rather than let our hubris lead to ruin.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Palermo reminds me of dead Popes and the promise of Muslim Italy. Morocco reminds me of how some assholes started colonizing OUR islands after allying themselves with our enemies in France.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Rodyle posted:

I vote for this!

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

WilliamAnderson posted:

Southern Colonization Effort. We must colonize the southern continent and divert the trade back to Al-Andalus.

Supporting this.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Guys, I think we should pace ourselves here and focus on the rest of Spain and the inevitable fight with France before thinking about the Almorhavids. This is probably our last best chance to fight the French before they grow too strong and we shouldn't let our reach exceed our grasp.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

:siren:Session closed.:siren: Looks like, due to indecision within the New Taifas, they've only managed to pass one policy, the Business Before Pleasure Act. The League of Merchants are at a deadlock, so the Sultan will pick between them. And finally, the Ulema and the Jizrunid Loyalists formed a coalition to try and convert a couple provinces.

Policies:

TildeATH posted:

TildeATH, Erwin the German, RZApublican, catlord, Hitlers Gay Secret, Luhood.

paragon1 posted:

I want to propose that we build a bunch of Regimental Camps and Barracks for the New Taifas' second policy, but I'm not sure where to suggest they be built/where they've already been built.

paragon1, ThatBasqueGuy, Technowolf, Yvonmukluk, Archaeology Hat.

Rodyle posted:

Rodyle, Frionnel, Lord Cyrahzax, Grizzwold, Snipee, Aeromancia, Mr_Autoshades, Samovar, Dick Trauma, mcclay.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I, Ralepozozaxe, The Dalai Ullama, Propose the Brothers in Arm(enian)s Act. We should improve relations with the Armenians, get a royal marriage with them, ally them, and help them, whether with troops or moolah in any wars against the Crusaders of Egypt. For too long have the crusaders plagued the holy land, and now the Armenians are proving strong enough to kick them out. With our help, we cant rid the Levant and Egypt of these pests.

Ralepozozaxe.

GunnerJ posted:

Proposing the New World Diplomacy Act: Form the best possible beneficial diplomatic relationship* with one of the mainland native empires west of our island colonies. We'll need their help to deal with the rest of the native empires and then I guess the Ulema can go try to convert them, why not.

GunnerJ, HiHo ChiRho.

Talas posted:

Proposing the Northern Colonization Effort: Our islands are a good stepping stone to change the colonization focus to the greater lands in the north. The south of the continent is too sparsely inhabited for Islam to really take root... and for people to buy our stuff. And all that with the added bonus of eventually blocking the Celts or any other European power.
Some virgin lands or florid shores await us!

Talas.

WilliamAnderson posted:

I propose the Southern Colonization Effort. We must colonize the southern continent and divert the trade back to Al-Andalus.

WilliamAnderson, Yessod.

Soup du Jour posted:

I, Hakam al-Soup of the Loyalists, propose that we build at least one, and more as money allows, Weapons Manufactories. Both our beloved Sultan and the ruling faction seem inclined for war, and we should support our burgeoning industries to support them.

Soup du Jour.

---

Proposed coalitions:

Ulema and Jizrunid Loyalists

Affi posted:

Ulema: Affi, AJ_Impy, Chatrapati, Nine of Eight, tunapirate, devildragon777, Vinny Possum.
Loyalists: Captain Oblivious, Duey, Zakrelo, Mountaineer, Crazycryodude, Lynneth.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Doesn't the Sultan get to break the New Taifa deadlock for the second policy?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Yvonmukluk posted:

Doesn't the Sultan get to break the New Taifa deadlock for the second policy?

It's not a deadlock, Olé got 6 votes and paragon's proposal got 5. If they were equal, then yeah, he would've.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hashim posted:

It's not a deadlock, Olé got 6 votes and paragon's proposal got 5. If they were equal, then yeah, he would've.

Wait...so the two 'declare war' policies cancel each other out?

This is what we get for not picking one war and sticking to it, goons! :argh:

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wait...so the two 'declare war' policies cancel each other out?

This is what we get for not picking one war and sticking to it, goons! :argh:

Yeah, kinda. Both want to conquer the rest of Iberia, but they're divided as to where we should go from there. One wants us to reconquer historically Muslim lands, like Corsica, and the other wants us to humiliate and take land from the Almoravids, our oldest allies.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

GunnerJ posted:

*Not a EU4 player so idk whether an alliance or a trade partnership or whatever would be the best fit for this.

I support this.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hashim posted:

Yeah, kinda. Both want to conquer the rest of Iberia, but they're divided as to where we should go from there. One wants us to reconquer historically Muslim lands, like Corsica, and the other wants us to humiliate and take land from the Almoravids, our oldest allies.

Fair enough. And when you say it like that it sounds incredibly stupid. So we only have one policy, which was probably upon reflection the worst of all three options. Goonocracy in action!

I don't know if that was really made clear, though. I feel that would

OK, I have have a proposal, my fellow New Taifas, in the hopes of preventing such wasteful infighting in future. I propose an informal runoff to be held when we are in power, so that in the case of two conflicting military strategems, we do not squander our influence and can instead channel it into more productive pursuits.

Mikl posted:

I support this.
Um...the vote closed, like, an hour ago.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Yvonmukluk posted:

Fair enough. And when you say it like that it sounds incredibly stupid. So we only have one policy, which was probably upon reflection the worst of all three options. Goonocracy in action!

Ah, yes, war with Muslims in North Africa is the best proposal... I have a suggestion:

Next time there's a difference of opinion throw the idiots in the oubliette.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TildeATH posted:

Ah, yes, war with Muslims in North Africa is the best proposal... I have a suggestion:

Next time there's a difference of opinion throw the idiots in the oubliette.
You know, I was thinking perhaps you were a little oubliette-happy, but you are making a compelling case for its limited use in specific circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Um...the vote closed, like, an hour ago.

That's what I get for leaving the reply window open then :shobon: