Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'm of the opinion that a hosed up constitutional convention would cause a civil war. You think CA and NY would go along with add BS amendments to the constitution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Welcome to GBS posted:

I'm not especially worried about home protection. We have two pitbulls that do not look inviting to people trying to break in. We live in a relatively safe neighborhood. But what I'm saying is that it has become incredibly clear to me that there is an attempt to completely corrupt the Federal Government, and Russia is most likely behind it. I don't have to explain to you the general mental state of the people supporting this government (and giving them their power, ultimately), but I can tell you from my experience with them that they all own guns and will not hesitate using them to instill fear into the 'tolerant left' if this power starts to be taken away.

I'm afraid of living in this timeline and not having the ability to fight back. Unfortunately, and it really pains me to say this, relying exclusively defensive tactics is a losing fight.

(I'm not advocating for violence, at all. But if there is violence, I do not plan on showing up with a knife to the gunfight.)

It's overwhelmingly more likely that if you buy a gun you or someone else living in the home with it will use it to commit suicide than using it in any sort of rebellion

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

glowing-fish posted:

Seven bedrooms doesn't seem that extravagent. I mean, a standard house has three bedrooms, so this was about double normal size? And two million dollars in an urban real estate market doesn't seem to be too much.

I mean, I think their point was that he grew up in upper-middle class surburbia, not owning private islands in the Carribean. It seems like that might be the upbringing that someone whose parents were doctors, lawyers or successful professionals might have?

Look, we didn't all grow up on the great ranges of the west coast like you did. Some of us grew up on the atlantic seaboard: Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana. You know, the mountainless coast near New York.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Lote posted:

I wonder what the worst palatable amendment that an Article 5 constitutional convention could get through. You still need 3/4 of the state legislature or state ratifying convention. 38 states would need to be on board.

I think the worst would probably be "3/4ths majority required in congress to pass any tax increases".

That would kneecap the government.

Balanced budget amendment would probably get a lot of support and gently caress over the economy hardcore.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
That would be delicious irony if CA and NY proposed an amendment that spelled out how to make seceding from the Union legal. It would get shot down so fast.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

ThePeavstenator posted:

Crosspost from Wisconsin thread:

So uh... what are the chances of a constitutional convention actually happening?

Small, but not zero.

However, a convention shouldn't be something we really fear because even though you only need 2/3 to call a convention, anything the convention proposes still has to be ratified by 3/4 of the states. Look at a map and count the states starting from the most red until you get to state #38. That state would have to be fine with any changes to the constitution, and it'll be a pretty solidly blue state.

edit: in 2016, that state was New Jersey, surrounded by Delaware and Connecticut. Thats the kind of state which would have to say "ok yeah sure, we agree to that change" before the constitution is modified by a Republican amendment.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 1, 2017

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Subvisual Haze posted:

Balanced budget amendment would probably get a lot of support and gently caress over the economy hardcore.

Why not combine them into one super lovely amendment?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

business hammocks posted:

Look, we didn't all grow up on the great ranges of the west coast like you did. Some of us grew up on the atlantic seaboard: Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana. You know, the mountainless coast near New York.

i hope that, unlike the appalachians, this joke never wears out

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
A lot of Second Amendment fetishists live in this weird denial of the inescapable fact that the easier it is to do a Bad Thing, the more often Bad Thing happens. If they'd just say "yea more people will kill themselves and each other, but the freedom is worth it," I could at least get (and disagree with) that. Their whole thing of "HURR THEY'LL USE KNIVES INSTEAD" is just another huge thread in the tapestry of idiocy on the right.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Lote posted:

I wonder what the worst palatable amendment that an Article 5 constitutional convention could get through. You still need 3/4 of the state legislature or state ratifying convention. 38 states would need to be on board.

I think the worst would probably be "3/4ths majority required in congress to pass any tax increases".

That would kneecap the government.

If the GOP succeeds at a constitutional convention slavery would become legal again. I'd like to think that statement is absurd but we're living in the darkest timeline.

It would case civil war 2.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Lemming posted:

It's overwhelmingly more likely that if you buy a gun you or someone else living in the home with it will use it to commit suicide than using it in any sort of rebellion

And it is even more overwhelmingly likely that it will just sit in a gun safe unused for the rest of your life (buy a gun safe you moron). Maybe with the side benefit of occasional use at the range for some fun hobby activity.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Lord posted:

3 or 4 is standard for the "grandma bought a house in 1985" suburban home IMO

7 is a jr mansion.

The wealthiest friend I knew in my wealthy, white suburban school district didn't have a 7 bedroom home. 5, sure, but 7? No.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

Lemming posted:

yeah its incredibly likely all the "WE WILL DEFEND LIBERTY" people will be cheering on the cops that shoot you if you aren't shot by your toddler first

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Are we really going to let the East Coast Elites in Wisconsin decide to change the constitution all willy nilly?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Really digging that jabroni being unable to post without people going all "mountains!" like Bilbo Baggins.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lote posted:

Ooh, ooh, ooh, let me tell YOU about how a similar amendment caused CA to have a budget crisis every loving year for decades until it got weakened by a new proposition.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BruceBartlett/status/870322072844742656
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/870314723555905536

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Oh, and on the 'Mah Bedrooms' front, there is a 6 bedroom house in my neighborhood in upper middle class suburbia going for like 300K. This is a dumber derail than the gun one.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Lote posted:

It combines perfectly well with the usual Republican circular economic plan too.

1) Tax cuts! (while trotting out the Laffer curve and pretending this will actually get more revenue)
2) Oh no, the budget is in the red! This must be because we're spending too much on entitlements (and can bear no relation to our prior tax cuts)
3) Gut medicaid/medicare/Social Security/infrastructure to balance budget

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rigel posted:

Small, but not zero.

However, a convention shouldn't be something we really fear because even though you only need 2/3 to call a convention, anything the convention proposes still has to be ratified by 3/4 of the states. Look at a map and count the states starting from the most red until you get to state #38. That state would have to be fine with any changes to the constitution, and it'll be a pretty solidly blue state.

edit: in 2016, that state was New Jersey, surrounded by Delaware and Connecticut. Thats the kind of state which would have to say "ok yeah sure, we agree to that change" before the constitution is modified by a Republican amendment.

So, the state that elected Chris Christie

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Real talk RE McMansions: from 1998-2008 I worked as a residential designer, the last 3 years for a high end boutique builder. 4,000 sq ft w/ 5 bedrooms plus a bonus room was pretty much where we topped out. I did work on some one off plans that were a couple bedrooms bigger, but those weren't all that common.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Oh, and on the 'Mah Bedrooms' front, there is a 6 bedroom house in my neighborhood in upper middle class suburbia going for like 300K. This is a dumber derail than the gun one.

So which Midwestern, Southern, or Flyover state do you live in?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Beginning to think Trump is some sort of mercurial trickster figure

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

Subvisual Haze posted:

It combines perfectly well with the usual Republican circular economic plan too.

1) Tax cuts! (while trotting out the Laffer curve and pretending this will actually get more revenue)
2) Oh no, the budget is in the red! This must be because we're spending too much on entitlements (and can bear no relation to our prior tax cuts)
3) Gut medicaid/medicare/Social Security/infrastructure to balance budget

pretty much exactly what happened in cali thanks Grover Norquist

say hi to him at Burning Man

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

A collapsed economy is easier to loot. Get ready for some sweet oligarchy action

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SpaceCadetBob posted:

And it is even more overwhelmingly likely that it will just sit in a gun safe unused for the rest of your life (buy a gun safe you moron). Maybe with the side benefit of occasional use at the range for some fun hobby activity.

Yeah that is more likely, but it's only worth it if the upside for you is enjoying owning a gun as a hobby or whatever. If you're only buying it because you're scared you'll need it in Civil War 2 it's pretty easy to tell that that's way less likely than you ending up you want to off yourself with it. So if safety is your goal, buying a gun does make you less safe, so you shouldn't do it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Welcome to GBS posted:

If you are will smith, yes I will give you both the gun and a hug.

What I am telling all of you, is that this world is so full of guns that my owning one (in a responsible manner) will not increase my chances of being harmed.

It will also not decrease your chances of being harmed.

I mean, let's look at a mass shooter scenario. If you're unlucky enough to be around when a mass shooter starts firing, you do not want to be a person with a gun. Pulling out a gun in that scenario doesn't make you a hero--it makes you a threat. The people around you have no reason to assume you're on their side. There's a very good chance that if you try to shoot at the shooter, you'll hit a bystander. Law enforcement could very easily assume you're either the shooter or that there are two shooters and you're one of them. And it should go without saying that if you happen not to be white, all of the above are going to be even worse.

Or let's assume some militia chucklefucks decide it's time for an armed uprising. If a big group of guys armed with guns decide that you're one of the enemies they need to kill, you owning a gun will probably not save you or your family. You might take one of them with you, if you're lucky, but probably not. You're not John McClane.

If you want to buy a gun, go ahead and buy a gun. Clearly you want one. And hey, if you don't need it for self-defense, gun sports, target shooting, all of that can be pretty fun. I don't own a gun myself, but I like going shooting with my friend who does. I buy the ammo, we shoot some targets, then go out for a drink after. It's a nice time. But don't assume it makes you safer.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Lightning Lord posted:

That's just fake news.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Everyone who wants a gun should learn how to make bombs instead. Those are how you win a civil war.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Lightning Lord posted:

No Loki, no Loki.

You're the Loki.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Everyone who wants a gun should learn how to make bombs instead. Those are how you win a civil war.

*FBI agents begin furiously screenshotting*

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Kinda hard to practice to improve and see if you did it right though.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Yikes.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Establish a cover story of being a right wing group and they'll stop monitoring you.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I went to weather underground to try and learn but it's just a loving weather site now. I give up.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SpaceCadetBob posted:

God, this, and not a cabinet, or a lockbox, or a trunk. A safe. Having a safe significantly reduces the chance of suicide, drunken escapade, and child tragedy. If the safe is properly affixed to the frame of the house and isn't complete garbage it also makes the gun dramatically harder to steal.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wish Walther PPKs weren't so expensive. That's my ideal self-defense gun.

Also in case the fascists come for me.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

glowing-fish posted:

Seven bedrooms doesn't seem that extravagent. I mean, a standard house has three bedrooms, so this was about double normal size? And two million dollars in an urban real estate market doesn't seem to be too much.

I mean, I think their point was that he grew up in upper-middle class surburbia, not owning private islands in the Carribean. It seems like that might be the upbringing that someone whose parents were doctors, lawyers or successful professionals might have?

How many bedrooms did Tony Soprano's house have? 4? Imagine a house twice that size in suburban NJ. It's a mansion.
Edit:5 full bathrooms 2x 1/2 baths. He could take a poo poo in a different bathroom for every day of the week. Mansion

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 1, 2017

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
There was a house with I don't even want to know how many "bedrooms" in my parents' neighborhood, which is solidly lower-middle class.

It used to be a good sized church that was converted into a residential house. It had a ton of rooms to it, but I honestly don't know how many would be classified as bedrooms. No web sites give a room count, but do list it as 7,280 sqft.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Lightning Lord posted:

drat you, Coyote!!!:argh:

• Locked thread