Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

glowing-fish posted:

I think they just like international intrigue rather than spending their time working on boring stuff like improving health care, building infrastructure, etc.

I agree with you. It makes them feel like big men. It's cheaper and easier than fixing Russia's problems, and I'm sure that ordinary Russians feel proud that they got one over on the hoity-toity Americans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Welcome to GBS posted:

I find it interesting how many of you think that owning a gun will make me less safe. I already have blunt self defense weapons, but where I live (NotPortland-Oregon) literally everyone has a gun, except for the exceedingly liberal types, and even they often own guns as well. In this kind of environment I really don't want to be the only one who can't defend myself.

To you goons who are afraid of self harm, I hadn't really ever considered that. Stay strong.

statistically speaking, gun owners shoot themselves or somebody they know so

in the aggregate, does owning a gun make one safer

there was a twitter i think and i can't recall the name but they used to publish about a page's worth monthly of people who were shot and the reason why, as just a small sample of gun violence in the us

anybody remember that?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Welcome to GBS posted:

I find it interesting how many of you think that owning a gun will make me less safe. I already have blunt self defense weapons, but where I live (NotPortland-Oregon) literally everyone has a gun, except for the exceedingly liberal types, and even they often own guns as well. In this kind of environment I really don't want to be the only one who can't defend myself.

Is there a lot of violent crime? Is the high gun ownership due to fear of crime, or because Oregon is a great place to hunt?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Hacking into lightly secured email servers and then leaking the results through Wikileaks while using social media bots to amplify the narrative isn't technically complicated or expensive.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

stone cold posted:

there was a twitter i think and i can't recall the name but they used to publish about a page's worth monthly of people who were shot and the reason why, as just a small sample of gun violence in the us

anybody remember that?

https://twitter.com/usgunincidents?lang=en

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

BarbarianElephant posted:

Is there a lot of violent crime? Is the high gun ownership due to fear of crime, or because Oregon is a great place to hunt?

oregon, is really white

also, lest we forget, it's bundyville

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

was that the one? the one i recall had like a page-sized image and would have the date and the reason

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

See, I can understand the appeal of Putin. I get it. I might be politically and morally opposed to it but he comes across as strong and smart and steely. I could get r/the_donald and Bill Mitchell and Mark Levin and whomever else going to bat for somebody like this. I mean look at this guy.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Nothus posted:

Hacking into lightly secured email servers and then leaking the results through Wikileaks while using social media bots to amplify the narrative isn't technically complicated or expensive.

The only hard part is literally the hoping that someone is dumb enough to click your phishing link.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Taerkar posted:

Many less lethal methods are illegal in The US.
Really? I thought Pepper Spray and Tasers were legal in most states.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
The stuff regarding gun accidents is valid, but it's a little thick to suggest less than lethal or melee options to someone worried about political violence in an environment swimming in guns.

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

If you are will smith, yes I will give you both the gun and a hug.

What I am telling all of you, is that this world is so full of guns that my owning one (in a responsible manner) will not increase my chances of being harmed.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Wark Say posted:

Pepper spray is illegal in Canada but you can buy bear spray and wasp spray (bonus effect of wasp/hornet pesticide: it'll permanently blind people if you use enough)

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

stone cold posted:

If America remains as safe as it is now, or close too it, then no, a gun will not make you safer if you live anywhere with police coverage.

A few of us think this country is about to become a lot more violent, but no one's going to give you specific odds on that.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Nothus posted:

But still not worth doing if gets you no money and could provoke the American intelligence services to loving end you.

Or is anyone operating under the delusion that a group of Russian hackers gives a flying gently caress about American elections?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Hellblazer187 posted:

Are y'all actually READING Secret Empire or just goinf "Pfft Captain America is a Nazi, I'm deciding this is bad without looking!"

It's honestly loving great.

I read the free issue and absolutely hated it. It's yet another bad crossover and politically tone-deaf.

Josh Lyman posted:

What is even the point of lying like that? Are the author/editor hardcore Trumpers?

$$$$

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

stone cold posted:

Counterpoint: That doesn't mean they didn't deserve it.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Josh Lyman posted:

What is even the point of lying like that? Are the author/editor hardcore Trumpers?

Seven bedrooms doesn't seem that extravagent. I mean, a standard house has three bedrooms, so this was about double normal size? And two million dollars in an urban real estate market doesn't seem to be too much.

I mean, I think their point was that he grew up in upper-middle class surburbia, not owning private islands in the Carribean. It seems like that might be the upbringing that someone whose parents were doctors, lawyers or successful professionals might have?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Welcome to GBS posted:

To you goons who are afraid of self harm, I hadn't really ever considered that. Stay strong.

You still haven't clarified why you would need one though...

If you're worried about a home invasion, get a dog, install a security system, put in proper outdoor lighting, and get to know your neighbors (exchange phone numbers, etc). "The bad guy wants to shoot me, so I'll shoot him first" mentality is really dangerous.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Wark Say posted:

be careful with them tasers

TildeATH posted:

Counterpoint: That doesn't mean they didn't deserve it.

i mean, sure

but it's something to bear in mind if instead of melting all guns you wish to become a gun owner

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mystic Mongol posted:

If America remains as safe as it is now, or close too it, then no, a gun will not make you safer if you live anywhere with police coverage.

A few of us think this country is about to become a lot more violent, but no one's going to give you specific odds on that.

I would suspect that said statistics also apply less to demographics more likely to be targeted by hate groups.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
Nigel Farage news is a few pages back but I didn't see anybody point out the backstory there. Verging a bit into "connect the dots" conspiracy Twitter land but bear with me.

Aug 7 2016: Roger Stone posts publicly about his dinner with Farage

https://twitter.com/rogerjstonejr/status/762507041013321728

Aug 8 2016: Roger Stone says he's spoken to Assange and knows that the next set of unreleased documents are about the Clinton Foundation

https://www.mediamatters.org/video/2016/08/09/roger-stone-confirms-hes-communication-julian-assange/212261

Aug 21 2016: Roger Stone seems to predict the Oct 7 publishing of the Podesta e-mail leak (attributed to APT28/Fancy Bear)

https://twitter.com/rogerjstonejr/status/767366825743097856?lang=en

Oct 12 2016: Roger Stone publicly denies having ever spoken to Assange or having any "direct contact" but again admits backchannel who is a "good mutual friend" that "travels back and forth from the United States to London and we talk"

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2016/10/12/trump-ally-roger-stone-admits-back-channel-tie-to-wikileaks/

March 4 2017: Roger Stone claims he has "perfectly legal backchannel" to Julian Assange

https://twitter.com/Millicentsomer/status/838259660549304320

March 9 2017: Buzzfeed stops Farange as he's leaving the Ecuadorian embassy in London and "he couldn't remember what he had been doing in the building".

https://www.buzzfeed.com/marieleconte/wait-what?utm_term=.udEX7WQWY7#.syko93V3d9

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You still haven't clarified why you would need one though...

If you're worried about a home invasion, get a dog, install a security system, put in proper outdoor lighting, and get to know your neighbors (exchange phone numbers, etc). "The bad guy wants to shoot me, so I'll shoot him first" mentality is really dangerous.

That's too much work and I wanna be Rambo!*

* a thing that many Americans actually believe

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wait it's legal in Canada to use wasp spray for personal defense? That's crazy.

Wasp spray rocks, I spray it around the perimeter of my house, underhangs, bushes, and crevices every spring and it keeps those fuckers away, but to use it on a person would be insane

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Taerkar posted:

I would suspect that said statistics also apply less to demographics more likely to be tolerated by hate groups.

please show me how exactly owning a gun makes you safer

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Why do public figures bother to delete tweets when they are almost always archived?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

glowing-fish posted:

Seven bedrooms doesn't seem that extravagent. I mean, a standard house has three bedrooms, so this was about double normal size? And two million dollars in an urban real estate market doesn't seem to be too much.

I mean, I think their point was that he grew up in upper-middle class surburbia, not owning private islands in the Carribean. It seems like that might be the upbringing that someone whose parents were doctors, lawyers or successful professionals might have?

Seven bedrooms is nuts, dude.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

stone cold posted:

was that the one? the one i recall had like a page-sized image and would have the date and the reason

hmm. can't find anything like it.

joe nocera used to do a thing in the NYT about weekly incidents of gun violence but stopped that a while ago. https://nocera.blogs.nytimes.com/ca...s&region=Header

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

There Bias Two posted:

Why do public figures bother to delete tweets when they are almost always archived?

They're technologically illiterate.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Seems pretty clear that the dude is worried about a generalized increase in political unrest and strife which to be quite honest is something you simply cannot predict the consequences of. In these situations access to lethal self defense could potentially have merit. There are so many edge cases that is it impossible to give statistical probabilities to them. The person making the decision would have to seriously consider the risks of both sides. Owning a gun is not a death sentence, and the risks of self inflicted harm with a gun are still astronomically low compared to the number of gun owners in the country.

All hail gun control derail.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Lightning Lord posted:

I read the free issue and absolutely hated it. It's yet another bad crossover and politically tone-deaf.

I've read since the most recent relaunch of Cap #1 (the first time he says "Hail Hydra") and it's a fairly standard comic book superhero story but extremely well done. I guess reading one issue, midway through the story, might not be as good.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

When the Oath Keepers besiege my home because I think Stephen Colbert is funny, how am I gonna defend myself without a gun?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In non-gun news, the President has decided to not stick his dick (further) into the hornet's nest. Still not tired of winning

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

stone cold posted:

oregon, is really white

also, lest we forget, it's bundyville

Well, Bundy drove there from several states away.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

haveblue posted:

In non-gun news, the President has decided to not stick his dick (further) into the hornet's nest. Still not tired of winning

This is good because it's both not extremely idiotic and damages the narrative of the morons who think Trump was going to grind Palestine into bone meal

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

glowing-fish posted:

oh boy, this guy again

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

glowing-fish posted:

Upper middle class =\= $2 million 7 bed 5 bath home. A mortgage on this home would be around $10k per month.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
What's the deal with this ethics thing? Can a president really waive ethics obligations for white house staff?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

stone cold posted:

please show me how exactly owning a gun makes you safer

Certain groups suddenly become a lot more supportive of gun control laws when black people are armed.

That's pretty damning right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

glowing-fish posted:

There weren't any *real* mountains nearby so were they really people at all?

• Locked thread