Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Calaveron posted:

Hopefully for the next smash bros they'll use the botw designs of Link and Zelda because goddamn they're good

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

So to sum up today's talks, there are pros and cons to voice chat. Nintendo opted, for various reasons, not to include the option onboard and a few people continue to spaz out needlessly. A Hori option was released for mobile comms that people find super confusing, even though it's painfully easy to understand. There is also a mobile option for typing to your team which seems like a good alternative for those who want to do it. Considering this is a luxury device in its first generation, players can use one of their other devices (that 99% will have one or two of) for team communication, using programs like discord, teamspeak, Skype, Line, [1000 other options]. For many games people already exclusively use third party voice to enable stability and avoid communication errors anyway.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

The Bloop posted:

I used voice chat all the time on Splatoon.

It was me calling a friend or two on a cell phone and wearing my normal cellphone earbud.

I could still hear the TV just fine.

People acting like this is some sort of dealbreaking scandal rather than oddity or minor inconvenience are just being histrionic

we're talking about playing video games in the first world, nothings more than an oddity or minor inconvenience. doesnt mean it isnt dumb still.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Stux posted:

swear some of you peoplelive on an alien planet

I guess. I could be wrong if the interface is bad on the app or something but I always use my phone to tell friends when I'm getting online for games anyway. Not excusing it, it should be built into the system. It's just not a huge deal unless you're some weirdo that owns new game tech but doesn't have a smartphone.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Wheany posted:

Oh, and the squid adapter has some kind of "I had sex with your mum lastnight" detection and removal technology?

Nintendo didn't do all of that biometric stuff for nothing. The adapter will actually determine whether I had sex with your mom, and then announce to everyone in chat whether I was telling the truth.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

XyrlocShammypants posted:

So to sum up today's talks, there are pros and cons to voice chat. Nintendo opted, for various reasons, not to include the option onboard and a few people continue to spaz out needlessly. A Hori option was released for mobile comms that people find super confusing, even though it's painfully easy to understand. There is also a mobile option for typing to your team which seems like a good alternative for those who want to do it. Considering this is a luxury device in its first generation, players can use one of their other devices (that 99% will have one or two of) for team communication, using programs like discord, teamspeak, Skype, Line, [1000 other options]. For many games people already exclusively use third party voice to enable stability and avoid communication errors anyway.

this would be the same as summing up trumps ascendency to the presidency as "a bunch of people got a bit upset but generally its ok" but sure if you want

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Stux posted:

this would be the same as summing up trumps ascendency to the presidency as "a bunch of people got a bit upset but generally its ok" but sure if you want

A bunch of people got upset at nothing and yelled at clouds. That pretty much sums up his ascendency yes.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I guess. I could be wrong if the interface is bad on the app or something but I always use my phone to tell friends when I'm getting online for games anyway. Not excusing it, it should be built into the system. It's just not a huge deal unless you're some weirdo that owns new game tech but doesn't have a smartphone.

i understand that some people do do this, but for the vast majority of console gamers the process is usually: someone is online, i can see they are online because of my consoles friendlist, i send them an invite through the console and we are put into party chat also on the console where we can either invite more people or other people can join freely and then join our game from there. like for playing cod etc ill just go look at the party tab, i can see who from my friends is playing and who they are playing with and then join them and their game all through that interface.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I've only ever used voice chat in Destiny. I tried using voice chat in Overwatch but either everyone stays silent or there's some whiney baby who thinks he's a pro player when we're all in the silver rankings.

But Switch should probably have native voice chat. Just a standard feature at this point. And that's my take!

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

SeANMcBAY posted:

The difference here being that you use an App to stay in relative contact until you boot up the system and join when then everything online feature spec is on the system (PS4/Xbox One). If you are talking about PC, most voice chat can occur anywhere. Whether in game voice comm, service delivery voice comm (Steam, Battle net, etc) or 3rd party Discord, Mumble, etc.

For this device, there is zero reason why you cannot just use a bluetooth headset, connect to the switch, and voice comm/lobby lives on the switch for no other reason than Nintendo said, "Nah let's be different, and also may as well make it a huge pain in the rear end because bad PR is still good PR".

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Stux posted:

i understand that some people do do this, but for the vast majority of console gamers the process is usually: someone is online, i can see they are online because of my consoles friendlist, i send them an invite through the console and we are put into party chat also on the console where we can either invite more people or other people can join freely and then join our game from there. like for playing cod etc ill just go look at the party tab, i can see who from my friends is playing and who they are playing with and then join them and their game all through that interface.

I've been doing this lately for games like Friday the 13th and Destiny and so on, it's a real neat feature. I wish Switch had a function where I could see my active friends list, find a friend playing MK8, hit a button and immediately jump into their game to play with them.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

In conclusion, Nintendo is a land of contrasts

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Policenaut posted:

I've been doing this lately for games like Friday the 13th and Destiny and so on, it's a real neat feature. I wish Switch had a function where I could see my active friends list, find a friend playing MK8, hit a button and immediately jump into their game to play with them.

yeah. i can understand if people are used to discord etc and how that functions that it doesnt seem like a big deal, but the modern party chat functions on ps4 etc are so well integrated and useful it just seems like a complete missed opportunity to not bring that over to switch because its a really useful and streamlined system!

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Lakbay posted:

I'm surprised there hasn't been a "my Switch got me laid" story ITT yet

My wife loves to play MK8 with me so we did that for an hour then had sex afterwards. MK8 confirmed best game for getting laid.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yeah, party chat is great. I hope the app could at least do that. It would make sense since it seems like you can only hear friends anyway but Nintendo.:shrug:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I get the argument of using Discord instead of being tethered to a phone but I'm a man child and I have my computer next to my Switch so it's easy, but I'm sure most people have their Switch set-up in a living room away from their computer so they're going to have to do this janky tethering crap to get some sort of voice chat via their phone which is 100% terrible.

This should have been built into the system itself with Bluetooth headphone support.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Stux posted:

Stux...good?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I get the argument of using Discord instead of being tethered to a phone but I'm a man child and I have my computer next to my Switch so it's easy, but I'm sure most people have their Switch set-up in a living room away from their computer so they're going to have to do this janky tethering crap to get some sort of voice chat via their phone which is 100% terrible.

This should have been built into the system itself with Bluetooth headphone support.

Or at least USB headphone support

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Also gently caress me, I have a wireless headset and wired headphones. Maybe I can get a standalone mic and run it with another splitter.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Having a phone app for party chat is probably the dumbest thing about this cool console so please don't defend stupid decisions just because you still have a hard in from playing Zelda.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

I get the argument of using Discord instead of being tethered to a phone but I'm a man child and I have my computer next to my Switch so it's easy, but I'm sure most people have their Switch set-up in a living room away from their computer

Ohtsam posted:

You'll be able to use an app, or you can use an app already on the cell phone (Like discord) and if someone calls me during a match I will be able to touch tap over to the phone call and then touch tap back over to my game lobby.

Really though, if they had included voice in the Switch, what percentage of high level teams would rely on the in system voice chat versus something else? For PUBG and other PC games it approaches 0.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ohtsam posted:

Yeah, why not utilize the USB C on the Switch or ports on the dock to connect a USB headset? Would that even be possible to fix via an update?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

You'll be able to use an app, or you can use an app already on the cell phone (Like discord) and if someone calls me during a match I will be able to touch tap over to the phone call and then touch tap back over to my game lobby.

Really though, if they had included voice in the Switch, what percentage of high level teams would rely on the in system voice chat versus something else? For PUBG and other PC games it approaches 0.

I do not think you can compare a portable console to a dedicated PC and come out with the same use cases. In fact, they aren't even in the same ballpark. Also, PUBG game voice is used heavily outside of team chat - Mocking (Which is hilarious), the initial lobby has hilarious banter and things like A-Team theme songs. Again though, comparing the Switch to a dedicated PC game is comparing apples to oranges in use cases.

If I am playing a portable game and it has voice chat, I should either be able to plug into the portable device via 3.5 audio or USB or Bluetooth, and have party/friend functionality on the console. The only reason why I would give Nintendo a pass on this is they are so far removed from today's gaming standards, they probably, and most likely, have no idea how to do this with their knowledge base.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 1, 2017

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Rad Valtar posted:

Having a phone app for party chat is probably the dumbest thing about this cool console so please don't defend stupid decisions just because you still have a hard in from playing Zelda.

Who is defending it? Everyone in here seems to be either super pissed about it or indifferent.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Which requires me to be tethered in to the Switch and my phone which is terrible and I also use wireless headphones so this doesn't even apply to me.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rad Valtar posted:

I'm not sure anyone is defending stupid decisions. At most people have been saying ok it's dumb but really nbd chill and play games.

But, you know what, I'll say something in its defense (conditionally): if it would have cost another $25 to $50 to make the Switch have BT or whatever (stronger processor, more RAM, whatever) for built-in for chat, and if the increased unit sales from having the system not cross some price barrier beats the lost revenue from the few hypergrogs who refuse to buy it without built-in live chat, then I think they did the right thing by not including it, from a business standpoint. Of course this is a counterfactual hypothetical so we'll never know, but I suspect they thought about it a tad.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

The app does have value especially if I'm somewhere else and I don't have a headset with me or don't want to carry a headset which is liable to break in my bag. Being able to have both as an option would be better though.
I do wonder if the extra cpu cycles it takes for the audio if it were undocked had anything to do with the decision though.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, why not utilize the USB C on the Switch or ports on the dock to connect a USB headset? Would that even be possible to fix via an update?

It would be straightforward for a firmware update to allow a USB headset to connect to the dock, but the issue seems to be that they're not running voice audio through the system at all. They're coding all their voice software as a phone app and not building any of it into the Switch OS, so it doesn't matter what devices you can connect to the system until that changes.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
The most likely reason is the app is P2P voice and they don't want to set up dedicated servers for handling voice chat.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

Which requires me to be tethered in to the Switch and my phone which is terrible and I also use wireless headphones so this doesn't even apply to me.

It doesn't require you be tethered. If you want all audio through one source it does, but that really isn't that bad by itself anyway. You could have game audio through the device speakers and your comms through a Bluetooth headset as an alternative.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Infinitum posted:

My favourite is Gulf War Gameboy

Soldier took his Gameboy to war. Barracks got blown up and massive fire damage.
Stil works!

Takes a lickin'
Keeps on tickin

Nintendo make rock solid hardware. You can never ever fault them for that.

This always blew my mind because my original Game Boy stopped working through normal wear and tear.

Saxophone posted:

Some of y'all seem to really really want to hear about how any given random 13 year old kid has slept with your mom. Because that's about all you get from built in voice.

No, I primarily play online games with my friends. We party up and enjoy talking to each other the whole time. Not being able to party chat with your friends was ridiculous in 2008 and is ridiculous now. I guess it's neat I can buy a headset that I have to plug into my phone and Switch, however this is a downgrade from Nintendo's last console. In the Call of Duty games on Wii U, you could plug in a headset to the gamepad and use voice chat.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/nicalis/status/870336576110313474
Does the actual game have anything new?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Cave story plus? Sign me u-oh, nicalis. Nevermind.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Balrog looks like they just painted over extra supply of Super Meat Boy keychains.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

cave story giving RE4 a run for its money with all these ports. I'd rather have RE4 on Switch, though.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

A few extra bonus levels, "Subtle" graphical improvements, and they will patch in local multiplayer at a date TBD so someone in the same room can play Curly. In all actuality it will have the same graphics as the 3DS version which you can get for $14.99. Looks just as good in 3D or Non 3D.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 1, 2017

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

DLC Inc posted:

cave story giving RE4 a run for its money with all these ports. I'd rather have RE4 on Switch, though.

I am doomed, like many people, to buy RE4 on literally every platform I have possible so yes, give me RE4 on Switch.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Looks like they added a "+"

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
If you play your game audio through the speakers your teammates can hear it and they probably hate you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rad Valtar posted:

:agreed:

how many thousands of high level teams are you expecting on a nintendo console game that what "high level teams" do is justification for bad design decisions

that's like all those MMO players expecting devs to cater to the top tier raiders in all gameplay aspects when they represent something like one tenth of one percent of the overall playerbase

• Locked thread