Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Aurum Vale looks gross and the color palette offends my delicate sensibilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

am i misremembering or was aurum vale unchanged from its 1.X version

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it's probably easier to just group up the hatchlings and kill them than it is to actually burst the seedlings. the most annoying thing is when a dps runs over and grabs the fruit i'm tanking next to, though.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I ran into a level 60 blackmage yesterday that only had 3 skills. Freeze, Transpose, and Fire 3.

He'd start spamming Fire 3, transpose when he ran out of MP, cast Freeze until full MP, and then transpose back into Astral Fire and start anew.

There is no lower bound for how bad players can be.

Was he a catboy named "Cole Sunder"?

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 1, 2017

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

beyond that i really don't know what would give you trouble. coincounter?

Coincounter is a fun fight because his autoattacks hit for almost nothing and literally everything else he does is completely avoidable. If your tank has a couple potions from PotD and half a brain, the healer could probably just never stop DPSing.

How complicated is Machinst when compared to something simple like Dragoon? I played the pokey-job all through HW but I'm really interested in the shooty-job, and it definitely has nothing to do with the GARO pistol being the coolest thing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rainuwastaken posted:

Coincounter is a fun fight because his autoattacks hit for almost nothing and literally everything else he does is completely avoidable. If your tank has a couple potions from PotD and half a brain, the healer could probably just never stop DPSing.

How complicated is Machinst when compared to something simple like Dragoon? I played the pokey-job all through HW but I'm really interested in the shooty-job, and it definitely has nothing to do with the GARO pistol being the coolest thing.

Are your cooldowns on cooldown? Flip a coin to decide if you can hit the next key in your basic combo.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Leofish posted:

I wasn't sure about RDM but, after looking at their skill list, I'm actually getting pretty hyped to try it now. I don't generally like casters, but this class seems like it'll be a lot of fun.

Yeah there's a flowchart showing a basic how-to posted to reddit and its extremely my poo poo.

And there are definitely people bad enough to not know how to do basic job mechanics:

I once met a whm in a low level area doing fates. I said hi and we grouped up for a while, I think we were both doing a relic step. She was in a party with a ninja with a similar name. The third party member came over and she introduced her as her other character, turned out she was dualboxing because the game "wouldn't let her change off healer"

She was a whm so she definitely had at least arcanist, so I explained the armory system to her and she seemed to take it in. when I asked her to change to arcanist or smn/sch and described it very simply, she said she couldn't.

She wasn't in an FC so I invited her and her dualboxing alt to my small fc, figuring one of my friends could help her understand since I was at a loss. They all tried to help her, and they couldn't. She had jobs unlocked but I have no idea how she did it.

She was also the most honest healer I have ever met. She was exceptionally thick skulled but I wanted to help her get good bc she was cool outside of the weird game mechanic poo poo, so we did roulettes together. she wound up leaving because we explained that healers should dps one too many times, on top of the job change thing.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 1, 2017

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

There's literally no point in trying to learn gunmage when it's being completely revamped in two weeks to no longer be a mage and probably no longer have a gun.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

My brain initially misread "Aurum Vale" as "Autumn Vale" and I was seriously disappointed I wasn't treated with a pretty autumn forest when I first zoned in.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bleu posted:

There's literally no point in trying to learn gunmage when it's being completely revamped in two weeks to no longer be a mage and probably no longer have a gun.

I solo'd into PotD as Arcanist last night to get a feel for the class and set up hotbars. About 30 minutes and several deaths to wandering mobs later I gave up and decided to wait for the expansion. For some reason, ARC is the one class that has not immediately clicked for me.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Brother Entropy posted:

am i misremembering or was aurum vale unchanged from its 1.X version

1.x aurum vale did damage to you constantly in yellow rooms period and had a lot more of them, 2.0 redid the layout entirely

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hivac posted:

1.x aurum vale did damage to you constantly in yellow rooms period and had a lot more of them, 2.0 redid the layout entirely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs8nEtHrCr8

Note I've not watched the video.

Edit: After watching a lot of the dungeon map is basically lifted, but the 1.0 version is much longer, looks hellish, and is wonderfully rendered.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 1, 2017

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
please note the most upvoted comment on that video is 'i wish 1.0 was still around', a comment made by someone apparently deaf or dumb to the fact that they can just play xi for like four dollars a year or something.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

every once in a while i get the urge to play a jank mmo and then i take a look at a 1.0 vid and evaporates, thankfully

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jinh posted:

Yeah there's a flowchart showing a basic how-to posted to reddit and its extremely my poo poo.

posting for the lazy: And yeah that actually does look like a lot of fun. Dammit, now I want to play that too.

e: chart bad do not use

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 1, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Aurum Vale is one of my favorite dungeons with a competent group (which I get most of the time because I generally do roulettes with 1-3 friends), it has a unique, oppressive atmosphere and Malboros have always been some of my favorite FF enemies. I'd probably hate it if I regularly got lovely groups though.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

posting for the lazy: And yeah that actually does look like a lot of fun. Dammit, now I want to play that too.

*throws computer out window*

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

please note the most upvoted comment on that video is 'i wish 1.0 was still around', a comment made by someone apparently deaf or dumb to the fact that they can just play xi for like four dollars a year or something.

I think they are autistic. Change is difficult.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Jinh posted:

She wound up leaving because we explained that healers should dps one too many times, on top of the job change thing.

That's both adorable and sad, kind of like a really dumb puppy. I hope they're doing okay out there, wherever they are.

Bleu posted:

Yeah that's fair, I just hear people mention that getting an optimal Wildfire is a chaotic mess of activity followed by huge periods of downtime. I can double-weave just fine on DRG but I'm a firmly "alright" player so I'm just curious if MCH really is as crazy as people say.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
please do not disparage autists by implying they would be okay with 1.0

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Mr. Nice! posted:

much longer, looks hellish, and is wonderfully rendered.

this pretty much describes the small amount of actual content 1.0 had

if i unironically miss anything it's probably the lighting of the game but if it's like everything else it was probably ludicrously inefficient

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

please do not disparage autists by implying they would be okay with 1.0

1.x light and rendering engine and cinematic system was awesome. I miss belts.
Other than that even autist know it was bad... right?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The first room was actually all done. I got in on the first boss. The BRD was real real bad. The healer was ok. So in a dungeon designed mostly around poison, quick dps is kinda necessary. I can guzzle all the fruit I want at as low as 2 stacks, but the fight going on for too long is going to kill the healer's MP. This is just my thinking, I've never played an actual healer. But I did watch the guy run out of MP as the first boss took an age. I look over and notice that the BRD has died. How, I do not know, because it's not like there are many mechanics. He must have just been poisoned. We wiped. Second go we cleared. The pull to Coincounter was ok until I notice the BRD died again. He died before I pulled the next mob. I'll admit that as a tank, if he'd aggro'd something, I should've run and grabbed it. I just didn't see him grab anything and I was in front, so I figured he was safe. Sure enough, one dps down and a so-so healer led to another wipe. PLD doesn't have a ton o' stuff to do at 49. I can pop Rampart and Sentinel and Convalescence as much as I want, but those cooldowns do not work together to create 100% tanking. I was in Shield Oath. poo poo just wasn't going.

And AV has a poo poo level sync, the 1st and 3rd boss are drat near the exact same which feels lazy, and the aesthetic is unpleasant. It's one of the worst dungeons in my book. The Coincounter is ok though, because like the Chimera in DD, literally anyone can solo him.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think it was the Rise and Fall of FF XIV series, or one of the Remnants of a Realm, but lighting in 1.0 was terrible. Night was simply a blue filter, light sources just kinda glowed a short distance, and shadows weren't dynamic.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

kzin602 posted:

I think they are autistic. Change is difficult.

i don't think they actually played 1.0 at all.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm unreasonably excited about this.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ainsley McTree posted:

I feel like I'm missing the point of the Impact in this rotation. After Verthunder/Aero with no proc it tells you to cast Jolt II in lieu of Verfire/Stone. Okay, yeah, I get that. But then it says to use Impact after that Jolt II. Impact is a 270 potency 2s cast spell that doesn't generate mana, that seems like a complete waste of your Dual Cast proc that you'd have off of the Jolt II.

e: actually this whole thing seems wrong in a lot of places, do you have a link to the source?

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

Jinh posted:

I once met a whm in a low level area doing fates. I said hi and we grouped up for a while, I think we were both doing a relic step. She was in a party with a ninja with a similar name. The third party member came over and she introduced her as her other character, turned out she was dualboxing because the game "wouldn't let her change off healer"

She was a whm so she definitely had at least arcanist, so I explained the armory system to her and she seemed to take it in. when I asked her to change to arcanist or smn/sch and described it very simply, she said she couldn't.

She wasn't in an FC so I invited her and her dualboxing alt to my small fc, figuring one of my friends could help her understand since I was at a loss. They all tried to help her, and they couldn't. She had jobs unlocked but I have no idea how she did it.

I bet their armory chest was full.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Countblanc posted:

I feel like I'm missing the point of the Impact in this rotation. After Verthunder/Aero with no proc it tells you to cast Jolt II in lieu of Verfire/Stone. Okay, yeah, I get that. But then it says to use Impact after that Jolt II. Impact is a 270 potency 2s cast spell that doesn't generate mana, that seems like a complete waste of your Dual Cast proc that you'd have off of the Jolt II.

Apparently Impact has a tooltip error and is supposed to be 4/4?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Countblanc posted:

e: actually this whole thing seems wrong in a lot of places, do you have a link to the source?

It's from this: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/6ektem/rdm_extrarevised_rotation_flowchart/

Couldn't tell you how accurate or up to date it is, I haven't really been keeping up with the latest news on abilities. And yeah I'm a little confused on how impact fits in too; it looks like it's an ability that you can only cast off a proc, but I didn't see what actually procs it.

e: Actually reading the post now, I see I originally linked to an outdated version of the chart, he updated it. Whatever it gives me the gist of how the class plays and it looks neat

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Oxyclean posted:

Apparently Impact has a tooltip error and is supposed to be 4/4?

Well that just makes it even weirder because it has the same MP cost and cast time as Jolt II! Why cast Jolt II at all? I assume there's some other tooltip errors I'm unaware of, but even ignoring Jolt/Impact some of this feels off, like why would I cast Jolt II after Verfire/Stone? Maybe it's just conveying it really poorly.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Countblanc posted:

it's a bad & wrong flowchart, that is messy to read too, so you are correct in thinking it's wrong!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Happy Blue Cow posted:

it's a bad & wrong flowchart, that is messy to read too, so you are correct in thinking it's wrong!

I linked to an outdated chart sorry, I'm sorry

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The chart definitely has presentation issues. I wasn't even sure where to go after Jolt at first because it raises both manas equally, and you're told to choose a Ver spell based on one mana being higher than the other. Can't speak to the accuracy of the rotation though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

It's still funny about how people with 1.0/Tanaka nostalgia don't seem to realize that they were almost certainly playing the 1.X updates that Yoshi P was in charge of that made the game actually...you know, be a game.

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm unreasonably excited about this.

Same, map navigation and warping are gonna be so much more convenient. I never could get a decent grasp on how the regions were physically arranged because of them being separated on the map screen in such a clunky way.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 1, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I wonder if RDM AoE is just

Scatter (100 potency, +3/3 mana) > Improved Scatter (+8/8 mana, 11 total) > Imp Scatter (19 mana) > Imp Scatter (27 mana) > Imp Scatter (35 mana) > Corps-a-corps / Enh. Moulinet (-30 mana) / Displacement > repeat

because that's a pretty lame rotation if so, especially since Corps-a-corps and Displacement won't be ready to be used again later. Especially after Samurai gets some legit sick AoE combo/finisher.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

dogsicle posted:

The chart definitely has presentation issues. I wasn't even sure where to go after Jolt at first because it raises both manas equally, and you're told to choose a Ver spell based on one mana being higher than the other. Can't speak to the accuracy of the rotation though.

I think that when you're just starting out after your first jolt, it's dealer's choice, since both manas will be equal. It's meant to be a guide to your sustained rotation, probably, since the bars will quickly become unbalanced.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The correct choice after the initial Jolt II is Veraero because:

1) It can proc Verstone Ready and Verstone's animation is the best of the Ver-spells.
2) Say "Veraero" out loud, it's hilarious

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rainuwastaken posted:

That's both adorable and sad, kind of like a really dumb puppy. I hope they're doing okay out there, wherever they are.
Yeah it really hosed me up cuz she wanted to learn the raids and primals and she was a good healer outside of the dps thing. I never died running stuff with her, it just took forever because she didn't have holy or stone or w/e on her hotbars. She would get kicked out of every group that wasn't us though, and blew up at the first sign of criticism.

i poop fire posted:

I bet their armory chest was full.
I'm actually gonna keep this in mind if I ever see her again, that's such a dumb reason that it's probably really close to the mark :v

Maybe she couldn't handle the game criticizing her for having a full armory chest with red letters, and turned off error messages somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you get Stormblood from Greenmangaming at the moment, do you get anything to put into mogstation or is it a case of waiting for codes closer to release?

• Locked thread