Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Is there a way to hide effectively in a closet or under a bed? The campers all make a loud rear end gasp when Jason goes by

Not really. Think of them like stamina potions instead of hiding places, because you'll always be found. Holding your breath stops the sound bubble from appearing for a little while, but if you're the slightest bit afraid, the whole house will be red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I've had a lot of fun with watching and playing this so far. Last night I had a blast when Jason managed to find me in the first 5 seconds as Deborah. I managed to get lucky and knock him down with an axe and escape four times in a row before he eventually gave up (it still ended up being a full wipe later on). I also accidentally backed over somebody in the car in an attempt to avoid Jason in a panic. Giving more power to the counselors for balance would definitely ruin the slasher flick atmosphere the game has going on that I felt DbD lacked.

I do wish the game just let you randomly perform an execution from any that you have unlocked + 1 slot for a 'favorite' execution instead of the current four at a time. I also think shift+grab is okay (if a little un-Jasonlike). If it needs to get changed, it should either become shift+melee to keep it good at cutting down chase times, or make it so that only +Grip Strength Jasons have enough time to start executing a gripped counselor that isn't injured, scared, or tired.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Carebearz posted:

Also, my favorite thing about this game is how salty people are about not having the backer stuff be paid DLC. the Steam forums are full of salt (it also doesn't help that i've been calling everyone babbies)

Nerds are loving insufferable. If a game has DLC skins/characters on day 1 then it's a rip off and they should have been part of the game. But if there isn't DLC they whine too.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Nerds are loving insufferable. If a game has DLC skins/characters on day 1 then it's a rip off and they should have been part of the game. But if there isn't DLC they whine too.

Well, now. Hold on. This isn't just a matter of a cosmetic skin being an exclusive backer reward. Each skin for Jason has their own perks and drawbacks. I don't know if this is the case, but if the Savini Jason is a unique character, then I can kind of understand being a little annoyed that a piece of gameplay was locked behind an exclusivity thing.

If the Savini Jason plays exactly like one of the other Jason's available, then yeah, there's not really much reason to whine.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Well, now. Hold on. This isn't just a matter of a cosmetic skin being an exclusive backer reward. Each skin for Jason has their own perks and drawbacks. I don't know if this is the case, but if the Savini Jason is a unique character, then I can kind of understand being a little annoyed that a piece of gameplay was locked behind an exclusivity thing.

If the Savini Jason plays exactly like one of the other Jason's available, then yeah, there's not really much reason to whine.

It's cool as gently caress, but I get to experience it when I'm murdered by him so I'm fine.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Different abilities are just being slightly better or worse at one thing or another. Savini Jason has a really strong set of abilities but it's hardly new gameplay.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I'll show you my Savini and his cool kills any time.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

weekly font posted:

Anyone want to give some protips on playing AJ? I've got stealth perks on her and still get murdered from anywhere on the map. I do not believe stealth works in this game.

Stealth works fine, it's just that Sense works off composure, not stealth. Jason is finding you because you're afraid (plus once he gets Rage Sense seems to get a big range boost).

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Mister Bup posted:

Different abilities are just being slightly better or worse at one thing or another. Savini Jason has a really strong set of abilities but it's hardly new gameplay.

It's still different than other Jasons, so it plays differently, however slight. I happen to think that's it's not cool to lock anything that has any effect on gameplay or mechanics behind time-locked exclusivity deals when it comes to games.

I'm not going to get my panties in a twist about it, but I think it's a crap practice. If you want to make something exclusive to backers, stick with cosmetic poo poo only.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
savini jason's gameplay differences are really

really

really

not a big deal

like all of us taking time to post words about it (including me) is so first-world-problems it's basically a parody of ourselves.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Kamikaze Raider posted:

It's still different than other Jasons, so it plays differently, however slight. I happen to think that's it's not cool to lock anything that has any effect on gameplay or mechanics behind time-locked exclusivity deals when it comes to games.

I'm not going to get my panties in a twist about it, but I think it's a crap practice. If you want to make something exclusive to backers, stick with cosmetic poo poo only.

They're being rewarded for paying money to fund the game being made. Sounds pretty fair to me. Better than just your name in the credits and a digital backer art download or similar. If it was pay2win then I'd be upset but didn't seem to be.

Savini Jason is creepy as gently caress when you see him in the distance.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Savini Jason deals extra melee damage, recharges map teleport faster, and breaks doors/walls quicker. He's cool looking but he's not like a crazy useful setup or anything.

I also imagine this skill setup will be given to Jason X in the future.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
The Savini Jason is nice and all, but I'd rather have the hundreds of bucks selling it would give me.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

SilverSupernova posted:

As someone who wasn't even aware of the kickstarter until long after it ended I can sort of relate to them. Still I got Part 2 and Part 8 Jasons so I'm not really upset about it.

I didn't back the game and I'm not mad, Savini Jason looks neat but his abilities seem meh imho.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
No you see he's PAY2WINPAY2WINPAY2WINPAY2WINPAY2WINPAY2WINPAY2WINPAY2WIN rrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargggghhhhhhh :suicide:

One of these days I'll remember never, ever to click on Steam forums.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Ghostpilot posted:

The Savini Jason is nice and all, but I'd rather have the hundreds of bucks selling it would give me.

It looks like what a kid in the 90s who reads too many Ghostrider comics would make if he were asked to design his own Jason.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015

Carebearz posted:

I didn't back the game and I'm not mad, Savini Jason looks neat but his abilities seem meh imho.

+Shift: Crazy strong, basically free win if you want to be that guy
+Weapon Strength: Lets you kill people with pocket knives easy, win fights against gank squads.
+Destruction: Fast door-breaks are great and even better if the counselors don't expect it

-Water speed: Only relevant if there's a boat, even then not really a big deal
-Can't run: irrelevant if you're not horrible at the game
-Grip strength: lol

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Coolguye posted:

savini jason's gameplay differences are really

really

really

not a big deal

like all of us taking time to post words about it (including me) is so first-world-problems it's basically a parody of ourselves.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I mean I'm just discussing what his strengths and weaknesses are. I don't even really want him, not a fan of the visuals. Jason to me is always the campfire story come to life, and super spooky hell jason throws that out th e window.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
A note on Savini (and Jason V, I believe):

Sometimes when attempting to strike a window, your spear will get "stuck" for a moment or two. I haven't noticed this on the other Jasons. It may be a negative to counteract the seemingly long range on Savini and Jason V, but it can be annoying on Savini as you tend to favor destruction more.

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 1, 2017

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Spectacting a Jarvis who skipped past three corpses, barely looking in their direction, but stopped at my dead Chad to physics my body aside and rifle thoroughly through my belongings. He knows The Chad.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 1, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So Uber Jason should be immune to gun fire and flares right? If they ever put him in.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Sometimes when attempting to strike a window, your spear will get "stuck" for a moment or two. I haven't noticed this on the other Jasons. It may be a negative to counteract the seemingly long range on Savini and Jason V, but it can be annoying on Savini as you tend to favor destruction more.

All Jason's have that happen, it happened to me on part 3 Jason at least, the first time I broke a window too.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah all of the jason variants i've played will occasionally get their weapon stuck after some of the old ultraviolence, i presume it's one of those 'we'll fix it some day' bugs

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

The gameplay will stay, the instability will go away. Remember the game has only been out for a week.

They should have absolutely had a 2nd open beta to test these servers - but the devs do seem to have a good handle on the current issues, or at least have them identified, and are working to fix them.

Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm not angry nearly as much as disappointed; This game's shitloads of fun and if it weren't for the eight crashes in three hours and half my sessions being interrupted before I earned the XP from them I would've played even longer and had more of a blast. I really hope they can lock down the stability soon, easily one of the best asymmetric versus setups ever.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Mister Bup posted:

+Shift: Crazy strong, basically free win if you want to be that guy
+Weapon Strength: Lets you kill people with pocket knives easy, win fights against gank squads.
+Destruction: Fast door-breaks are great and even better if the counselors don't expect it

-Water speed: Only relevant if there's a boat, even then not really a big deal
-Can't run: irrelevant if you're not horrible at the game
-Grip strength: lol

did you miss the part where I said his abilities seem meh IMHO

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Skoll posted:

It looks like what a kid in the 90s who reads too many Ghostrider comics would make if he were asked to design his own Jason.

Dev: "Hey Tom did you get that special Jason done yet?"
Tom Savini: *pauses his game of Mortal Kombat where Jason is fighting Noob Saibot* "Uhhhhhhhhhhhh...yes?"

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015

Carebearz posted:

did you miss the part where I said his abilities seem meh IMHO

And I'm saying my opinions on them. I know you're a carebear but it being an opinion doesn't mean I can't say anything about it.

Anyway windows are buggy yeah. Dunno how to get around it as 6 or Savini but Jasons who swing their weapon sideways can reliably get windows by standing with the window to your right and swinging. So perpendicular to the window.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Mister Bup posted:

And I'm saying my opinions on them. I know you're a carebear but it being an opinion doesn't mean I can't say anything about it.

Anyway windows are buggy yeah. Dunno how to get around it as 6 or Savini but Jasons who swing their weapon sideways can reliably get windows by standing with the window to your right and swinging. So perpendicular to the window.
I think the wrenching a weapon out of a ruined window is a feature to slow Jason down a little bit for the counselor's sake. I don't see an issue with it.

e: oh, you're taking about their lovely hitboxes which I agree with 100%

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Ahh ok, I must not have noticed it when I played Jason III.

I've also realized that Jason's hitbox with his weapon is slightly ahead and to the right of Jason's body rather than directly in front how you might expect, this has helped immensely with getting those windows smashed.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

So ~*~my girlfriend!~*~ just bought me this game (master race, naturally), so add me to the group and feel free to shoot me a friend request before murdering me horribly.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/hexenritter

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Hexenritter posted:

So ~*~my girlfriend!~*~ just bought me this game (master race, naturally), so add me to the group and feel free to shoot me a friend request before murdering me horribly.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/hexenritter

The steam group is open to all, join up and scroll to the members list to add some friends. Then hop in our discord and you can probably find a good PM quick.

We usually have at least 1 full goon game going, often 2.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Today I learned Jason's traps activate immediately so if someone takes a swing at you press R and they'll get caught in it before it'll land.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Republicans posted:

Today I learned Jason's traps activate immediately so if someone takes a swing at you press R and they'll get caught in it before it'll land.

this is important information

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Speaking of the discord, any one have any changes they wish could happen? Been kinda overwhelmed at work lately so I haven't had a chance to jump in. I should have the game in the next week or so and will be hoping in with everybody.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

It happens with Part 6, too. It's an annoying quirk of the spear type weapon.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Yeah unfortunately its a thread of "gently caress you got mine." Anytime gameplay is completely cut off from some players, with absolutely zero means to acquire, its really poor game design. Backers can be awarded sure, cosmetically.

However none of that matters because you can bet your butt the devs will sell Savini as dlc since it would be fiscally irresponsible not to.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Just accepted all the requests to Goon Campers. I'm on holiday until Monday night now so sorry for the delay in adding more

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

The steam group is open to all, join up and scroll to the members list to add some friends. Then hop in our discord and you can probably find a good PM quick.

We usually have at least 1 full goon game going, often 2.

Joined the group, shot you a req and will start sending out more. Unfortunately for my camper murdering fantasies (and my impending Chadness) Tekken 7 unlocks in a couple of hours too, but the moment I get the chance for some sweet, sweet murder I'll be in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Knifegrab posted:

Yeah unfortunately its a thread of "gently caress you got mine." Anytime gameplay is completely cut off from some players, with absolutely zero means to acquire, its really poor game design. Backers can be awarded sure, cosmetically.

However none of that matters because you can bet your butt the devs will sell Savini as dlc since it would be fiscally irresponsible not to.

This happened when World Of Tanks went to console, there were a few things that were given "exclusively" to beta testers that were sold a while later, so folks complained but I think if it was a freebie that got sold later it's fine.

• Locked thread