Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Transhumanism is a solid no for me. My body is far from perfect, but I have absolutely no interest in cybernetic implants. If I wasn't born with an ability (e.g seeing in the infrared range, hearing as good as a dog's), then I don't need it.

It won't be a choice, one day you'll just wake up with implants, and say to yourself "I didn't ask for this..."
I imagine a lot of the implants will blur the line between organic and synthetic, like blade runner poo poo. Got lovely eyes and colour blind? Here's some new bio-synthetic eyes. Here's a hip replacement that can heal like real bone. Here's a little implant that lets you selectively block out and manage pain. Here's a little something in your eyes that gives you a HUD, oh you can also adjust various aspects of your body with an interface and download a new patch for your immune system that covers that horrible flu going around. Stuff like that's going to be rad.

Baronjutter has a new favorite as of 19:27 on May 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Slime posted:

you weren't born with the ability to travel at a few dozen miles an hour but you still have a car

No, but a car was a choice that I consciously made without changing anything about my physical body to use. Unless we're talking about a hip or knee replacement, I'm not in favor of adding computer components to my body.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
What if your dick was chopped off in a chopping accident, and you were offered a cybernetic one with a computer connecting it to your nervous system? Still no?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

doverhog posted:

What if your dick was chopped off in a chopping accident, and you were offered a cybernetic one with a computer connecting it to your nervous system? Still no?

A cumputer?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

doverhog posted:

You have to weigh up the pros and cons and get them to balance, and I think that a pretty big con would be the possibility of terrorists and/or the Russians potentially hacking into your penis.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

That, and there's always the concern of protecting our precious bodily fluids.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Wheat Loaf posted:

You have to weigh up the pros and cons and get them to balance, and I think that a pretty big con would be the possibility of terrorists and/or the Russians potentially hacking into your penis.

Russia Used My Big Black CyberCock to hack the US Elections, And This Is My Story.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Hacked in the cybercock by Russia
By Hugo nominated author Chuck Tingle

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The internet of things and home automation are loving stupid and make me feel like an angry luddite. We're living in a world where people can and do hack your lightbulbs and appliances. Idiot nerds spending 10k on a bunch of stupid automation poo poo so they can turn their lights on from their phone or adjust the furnace using cloud based personal biometrics while playing their VR game and their Wifi kettle AI can predict when you need another cup of coffee. Sure it doesn't work half the time and needs hours to set up and isn't actually practical but it's so cool man!!!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

The internet of things and home automation are loving stupid and make me feel like an angry luddite. We're living in a world where people can and do hack your lightbulbs and appliances. Idiot nerds spending 10k on a bunch of stupid automation poo poo so they can turn their lights on from their phone or adjust the furnace using cloud based personal biometrics while playing their VR game and their Wifi kettle AI can predict when you need another cup of coffee. Sure it doesn't work half the time and needs hours to set up and isn't actually practical but it's so cool man!!!

I agree completely. The worst part is that the downsides of tech like this is never taken seriously until later, when people's everyday appliances are already being hacked.

It's one reason why I don't trust autonomous cars: I think adoption of the technology is moving faster than consideration of the consequences of it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
gonna install a giant cybercock that can access the cloud and turn my lights on and off

as i fap the lights will strobe on and off

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

O'Neill Cylinders

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

My rule of thumb is any home tech that says "you can do ______ but from your phone" I give it a pass. Voice activation or nothing for that, and that tech isn't ready yet. This is ignoring all the security risks of course.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 21:52 on May 31, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don't get the niche tablets have. It does the same things as my phone and if I need A Better Device I have my laptop. But I got a free ipad with my phone upgrade so I guess I should use it.

The only thing I can think of is I like road tripping, hiking, and camping and it'd be nice to have a shitload of space to store photos and podcasts for when the internet isn't available and you can't stream casts/upload photos... but then I'm risking this expensive device that's a lot less convenient to carry around than a phone. My phone can sit safe in my pocket, my tablet would need a dedicated loving holster or something. It could work in the car, at least. But then at this point phones have a shitload of memory, it's not like the 4 gig pos I was using for hiking photos and podcasts years ago.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Slime posted:

as i fap the lights will strobe on and off

Imagine waking up in the middle of the night and seeing that at the foot of your bed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Strategic Tea posted:

O'Neill Cylinders

The ones I build won't have lovely consumer grade internet of things garbage in them, no.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don't get the niche tablets have. It does the same things as my phone and if I need A Better Device I have my laptop. But I got a free ipad with my phone upgrade so I guess I should use it.
I had a night job with a lot of downtime but you had to be ready to go at a moment's notice. A laptop had too much potential to suck you in and looked douche-y to the co-workers beside, but a tablet had all the benefits of screwing around on my phone with a bigger screen size and easy to put down when I was needed.

Kids and old people love them because they're more intuitive than mouse/keyboard set-ups. Kids respond instinctively to "touch to activate" from like toddler age and old people are just happy they don't have to figure out what a pointer is and the difference between left/right click.

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.

doverhog posted:

He doesn't need anything that complicated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_gSbPg33Qo

Also Space Truckers is a great movie.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Donald Trumps response to the covefe thing was funnier than anything that people making fun of it had to say.

Please don't take that as an endorsement of the Donald in any way.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Donald Trumps response to the covefe thing was funnier than anything that people making fun of it had to say.

Please don't take that as an endorsement of the Donald in any way.

As people have pointed out, that almost certainly wasn't his response, because you're more likely to stick your dick into a neutron star than witness that man making a joke at his own expense.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Transhumanism is a solid no for me. My body is far from perfect, but I have absolutely no interest in cybernetic implants. If I wasn't born with an ability (e.g seeing in the infrared range, hearing as good as a dog's), then I don't need it.
What about cybernetics to get back abilities you've lost (or should have had but unfortunately don't)? Like, if instead of glasses/contacts you could get your eyes replaced with realistic-looking prosthetics that give you great (but humanly possible) vision? And if you're happy to go that far, why not get better-than-human vision?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You can read stuff on them that's annoying to read on a phone or ereader (like comics or pdfs). You can play games. You can do stuff with it you'd normally use your phone for without worrying about running the battery down. You can watch videos. A tablet is a bit more useful than a phone because of the larger screen, and a bit more convenient to carry around or use without a desk or table than a laptop.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I didn't understand tablets until I got one and now I use it constantly.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Tiggum posted:

What about cybernetics to get back abilities you've lost (or should have had but unfortunately don't)? Like, if instead of glasses/contacts you could get your eyes replaced with realistic-looking prosthetics that give you great (but humanly possible) vision? And if you're happy to go that far, why not get better-than-human vision?

Excuse me sir I already made that exact argument in a much more compelling way. :gizz:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I loved my iPad Air but after I got a Kindle and a 6" phone I stopped using it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Tiggum posted:

Good question. I would say that if it's medically needed, I don't necessarily have a problem with it. But again, I don't want superhuman abilities. I'd be happy with implants that merely restored my vision, and not Super X-Ray 2000 eye implants by Google.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Mu Zeta posted:

I loved my iPad Air but after I got a Kindle and a 6" phone I stopped using it.

Same, I only use my tablet to watch netflix in hotels and in the shower.

Technically I have a tablet in the form of my Surface Book, but I can count the number of times I've used actually used it in tablet mode on one hand.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

I didn't understand tablets until I got one and now I use it constantly.

I feel like if I had one I'd use it, but having an iPhone and a laptop since well before tablets came around. they have always just seemed redundant for me. I borrowed my dads iPad pro on a recent trip and I gotta admit it was pretty cool and I was almost tempted to get one, but in the end it felt like a big iphone and I have no idea why I would need one. Laptop is getting old though, so no idea what direction I will go when it comes time to replace it.

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 06:07 on Jun 1, 2017

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like if I had one I'd use it, but having an iPhone and a laptop since well before tablets came around. they have always just seemed redundant for me.

Yeah that's the point, they are redundant for you. I have an old iPhone 5 and a clunky desktop computer so a tablet was perfect for me because I can mess around on something with a larger screen and better processing power while I am walking around my house or taking a poo poo or whatever.
Sorry veni veni veni, I don't mean to poo poo on you or Edgar Allen Ho who started this PHUO but you both admitted you have laptops, which fill a very similar niche that tablets do. Lots of people don't have laptops so tablets make sense for those people.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
nothing wrong with a little fascism in everyday life.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I use my laptop as a desktop at this point. It's getting to the end of its run and my iPad has a much clearer screen and runs way faster. I don't find it redundant outside of just internet browsing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

King of Foolians posted:

Yeah that's the point, they are redundant for you. I have an old iPhone 5 and a clunky desktop computer so a tablet was perfect for me because I can mess around on something with a larger screen and better processing power while I am walking around my house or taking a poo poo or whatever.
Sorry veni veni veni, I don't mean to poo poo on you or Edgar Allen Ho who started this PHUO but you both admitted you have laptops, which fill a very similar niche that tablets do. Lots of people don't have laptops so tablets make sense for those people.

Uh. I don't dislike tablets I just was adding to the conversation and why I've never felt the need to get one.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'd like a tablet for using Photoshop without having to bust out my Wacom. It's nice to draw as you wait.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Caddyshack 2 is a good movie.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Yobgoblin posted:

nothing wrong with a little fascism in everyday life.

I brutally subjugate my dog with kisses.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They're for jerking off in bed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A lot of people I know have pretty much replaced their laptops with tablets. It works pretty well for them. They'll have a proper computer at home/work and then a tablet for out in the field. The screen is big enough to be useful, but it's way smaller and easier to use when on the move than a laptop.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The only thing that bugs me about a tablet is unless you get a keyboard attachment it's utter garbage for writing more than 20 words at a time, and as a chronic overtly verbose shitposter on the SomethingAwful forums I cannot abide such limitations on my ability to express myself.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I need a full multi-monitor "battlestation" and mechanical keyboard for my SA poo poo posting.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

I use my laptop as a desktop at this point.

Around 100% of so-called laptop computers are used solely as desktop machines because who the gently caress actually works anywhere except at their desk but employers keep buying laptops because idiot hell fuckers have been going around screaming "THE DESKTOP PC IS DEAD HUAGLUAGHUGHUALUAGH" for the past 20 years.

e: There is a benefit though: not losing your work when there's a power outage because your desktop laptop has a battery in it :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I need a full multi-monitor "battlestation" and mechanical keyboard for my SA poo poo posting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxQNYPYFq1c

Jerry Cotton posted:

Around 100% of so-called laptop computers are used solely as desktop machines because who the gently caress actually works anywhere except at their desk but employers keep buying laptops because idiot hell fuckers have been going around screaming "THE DESKTOP PC IS DEAD HUAGLUAGHUGHUALUAGH" for the past 20 years.

e: There is a benefit though: not losing your work when there's a power outage because your desktop laptop has a battery in it :mmmhmm:
I'm spoiled and like to take my laptop around to other parts of my house when I need to do work. I'm too conditioned on my desktop to game/shitpost/gently caress around.