Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

boner confessor posted:

blow job... job?

Blowjob jutsu.

dogetax!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My wife took a Bjj class with a bunch of her girlfriends when we lived in DC, but they never mentioned the self-defense aspect of it and just practiced on cucumbers/dildos and drank wine.

boner confessor posted:

blow job... job?

:iamafag:

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I have literally no idea what I'd do with ten.

gotta have a bedroom for each of your guns

if they don't get a good night rest they sure do get orn'ry; liable to pepper someone with buckshot i tell you hwat

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Aren't bullet proof vests 1 time use? Like the padding in them is only supposed to work for the first bullet or two?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

CyberPingu posted:

Aren't bullet proof vests 1 time use? Like the padding in them is only supposed to work for the first bullet or two?

Yeah, same as bike helmets.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

Probably.

Is that a problem? How many times do you plan on getting shot?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

CyberPingu posted:

I mean, yeah, if you get shot in the same place twice.

e: Just Googled it, most in the U.S. have a five-year lifespan.

Papal Infallibility
May 7, 2008

Stay Down Champion Stay Down

CyberPingu posted:

Yes, plus nobody is going to shoot you and be like, "Aw nuts he has a vest" and then walk home dejected.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

skylined! posted:

lol if your chateau only has 8 bedrooms and the livery isn't adjoined via paved enclosures, just lol

chateau? we're talking about primary residences here lol, get out of here with this poo poo

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Most of the people I knew who only had ten bedrooms just had the kids double up.

Lots of families just had a "girls room" and a "boys room" instead of giving all the individual kids their own rooms.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

My happy zone is three, so you can use one as an office or craft room while still having a guest bedroom. But two is totally fine. If I had four I would probably do something like a dedicated office AND a dedicated craft room. A fifth would be a sex palace decorated in the style of Sotha Sil's clockwork tower in Morrowind.

Granted for families with children, having separate rooms for each kid, at least for teenage years, avoids certain problems. But unless you're some kind of quiverful weirdo or running some kind of cult I literally can't think of any use for ten goddamn bedrooms besides a display of wealth.

Where is the live-in help going to stay? Not everyone is a Filipino slave owner you know.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sensible Thursday posted:

Like 10 percent of rooms are in a house with 10+ rooms or 10 percent of houses have 10+ rooms?

10% of the housing stock has 10 or more rooms.

(Thanks US Census)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

CyberPingu posted:

also they're not necessarily knife proof eihter

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Oracle posted:

Where is the live-in help going to stay? Not everyone is a Filipino slave owner you know.

Yeah, I forgot about cleaning. Because I never clean. The ants take care of that for me.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

CyberPingu posted:

Well maybe if you keep getting shot in the same spot. These days if you aren't saving pennies by rotating to have bullets strike different vest zones then someone needs to talk to you about your carbon footprint.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

This is why you will never be rich. You don't think big. :smug:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Mattering?

quote:

The FBI and Congress are examining a campaign event last spring during which Donald Trump, Jeff Sessions and Jared Kushner were in a small gathering with Russian ambassador to the U.S. Sergey Kislyak and other diplomats at Washington's Mayflower Hotel, multiple U.S. officials told NBC News.

Five current and former U.S. officials said they are aware of classified intelligence suggesting there was some sort of private encounter between Trump and his aides and the Russian envoy, despite a heated denial from Sessions, who has already come under fire for failing to disclose two separate contacts with Kislyak. Kushner also denied through a spokesman that he met privately with Kislyak that day.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/did-trump-kushner-sessions-have-undisclosed-meeting-russian-n767096?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

worse by the minute

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Papal Infallibility posted:

Yes, plus nobody is going to shoot you and be like, "Aw nuts he has a vest" and then walk home dejected.

No, but that's not really the point, now, is it? Hopefully when they fail to kill you, you'll either get the hell out of there (which is what you should do), or else you and/or other people there will subdue the shooter.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

fivegears4reverse posted:

This post is just as loving dumb as any "defend yourself" defense you're conjuring up, hope this helps.

If, for whatever reason, you are in a situation where you are attacked by a knife or gun weilding individual, what's going to matter is how you react to that situation with whatever is available.

It's true that owning a gun DOES NOT and NEVER HAS guaranteed safety against imagined or real home invaders. The exact same can be said about the vests or over clothing you're pushing. Self-defense is pretty firmly up to the individual, and pretending your solution is magically perfect and good for everyone is in the same realm as gun advocates claiming their ready to shoot down hundreds of thugs with their custom AR15 they have spent far too much money on.

You're never going to win the gun control debate if you're only capable of responding to seemingly unreasonable views with equally stupid poo poo.

I feel like you're trying to argue against poo poo you assume I meant instead of anything I said.

I'm not saying it'll protect you from everything, but if you're worried about surviving random gun violence it's a better solution than getting a gun.

Having a gun will do nothing but escalate a situation. If you open carry you're more likely to be a target or to have someone try to steal it from you, etc, etc. If you're concealed carrying then it's not going to do anything to dissuade an attack.

And yeah, no poo poo people need to know how to handle situations they find themselves in, which is the only thing you suggested that isn't just apparently trying to get your "own" on.

But learning deescalation techniques and how to avoid being targeted only goes so far if you're worried about getting randomly shot.

And a bullet resistant vest (resistant, I'm not stupid enough to think that there are fully bullet proof vests. You gotta do your homework and get the right kind for what you want protection from) will go much farther than a gun when combined with regular safety precautions.

So what the gently caress even is your point beyond "Heh, both sides are dumb :smuggo:"

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

boner confessor posted:

blow job... job?

Is that the new term for sex worker?

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
body armor is good for more than just 1 shot to the same place unless you have some bootleg poo poo from a pawn shop or something. also depends on caliber and many other things.

oh god im sorry for perpetuating this lovely derail

roymorrison fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 1, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is this a buffalo?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

quote:

The United States will withdraw from the Paris Climate Accord, President Donald Trump will announce at a Rose Garden speech this afternoon. On a conference call with Capitol Hill staffers ahead of the speech, White House energy policy adviser Michael Catanzaro confirmed that “the United States is getting out of the Paris agreement.” Trump, Catanzaro said, “will be open to and will immediately be looking for a better deal.” A source provided The Daily Beast with the call-in information. The process could be a lengthy one.

Catanzaro said the administration will follow the steps for withdrawal laid out in the deal itself. “We will initiate the process, which, all told, takes four years in total. But we’re going to make very clear to the world that we’re not going to be abiding by what the previous administration agreed to.” Trump’s withdrawal from the accord fulfills a major campaign promise, and dovetails with his “America First” mantra, a point stressed by White House deputy communications director Raj Shah in a separate conference call with conservative think tanks and pundits.

“The president’s action today is going to be in keeping with the president’s pledge to put American workers first,” Shah said. He asked those on the call write statements, op-eds, and tweets supporting the president’s decision. “I can’t explicitly state what the president is going to announce in an hour and a half, but I can say that I doubt folks on this call will be disappointed,” Shah assured them.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

I'm glad the Mayflower stuff appears to be sticking finally - its a hotel with a catchy name for that extra Watergate resonance which should allow it to feed into the ever-growing Nixonian narrative. I'm fully expecting Trump to tweet "I am not a crooke" at some point

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Drone posted:

So which Midwestern, Southern, or Flyover state do you live in?

Late, but Connecticut.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is this a buffalo?

Actually, I am p sure it is a bison.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is this a buffalo?

It's called a mudroom. Lots of people in the country have them.

They are generally a tiled area and room that leads into the house proper where people can store their jackets and boots. The tiles make it easier to clean and since their boots are often muddy from a day of laboring, the area became known as a "mudroom."

There is a CRT television, a man, a reclining sofa, and a buffalo in the mudroom.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

If someone had targeted you, explicitly, then unless you have a security detail you're kinda hosed no matter what.

But I'm pretty much just talking about random, public, gun violence. Mass shooter event, a mug and run gone bad, stuff like that.

If someone's firing into a crowd I'm not imagining them chasing you or really anyone else down.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Majorian posted:

No, but that's not really the point, now, is it? Hopefully when they fail to kill you, you'll either get the hell out of there (which is what you should do), or else you and/or other people there will subdue the shooter.

No, you crawl over to the vest bag, which should have been placed behind a reinforced wall. If you tossed barbed wire in front of the entry points you should have enough time, at least enough for the round to end.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Separate bedrooms for each kid and parents.

Library.

Laundry room.

Multiple walk in closets.

Piano room.

Dining room.

Kitchen 1.

Kitchen 2.

Pantry.

Pooltable / darts room.

Ham radio room (not used).

Bar.

Gun range.

Three guest bedrooms.

Toy room / playroom.

Separate offices (workspace) for each family member.

Spare office.

Live in staff rooms.

Changing rooms for the pool (male and female, separate).

Pool lounge.

Pool kitchen.

Garage space for 8 cars.

Sunroom.

Greenhouse.

Multiple "industrial" rooms (like where the furnace and air conditioners are. The air conditioner is custom built and literally large enough to walk inside of.)

I've been in a house (multi-building complex, really) with all of this. The rich live lives utterly removed from the experience of most people.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 1, 2017

Papal Infallibility
May 7, 2008

Stay Down Champion Stay Down

Majorian posted:

Any situation which you would actually be able to make use of said body armor (i.e. attacked at home with ample forewarning) would end disastrously unless you have some means of fighting off an attacker and "get the hell out of there" which as you mentioned is the best option would be much more successful if you didn't waste time putting on something that would probably slow you down.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Wait it's legal in Canada to use wasp spray for personal defense? That's crazy.

Wasp spray rocks, I spray it around the perimeter of my house, underhangs, bushes, and crevices every spring and it keeps those fuckers away, but to use it on a person would be insane

There are no laws restricting what you can use for self-defense in Canada. You just can't carry a weapon and are legally only allowed to use "reasonable force" to defend yourself.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I use a sold wood billy club for my home defense, and the positive news is that I've only managed to smack myself in the balls once with it

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

My happy zone is three, so you can use one as an office or craft room while still having a guest bedroom. But two is totally fine. If I had four I would probably do something like a dedicated office AND a dedicated craft room. A fifth would be a sex palace decorated in the style of Sotha Sil's clockwork tower in Morrowind.

Make sure you make everyone who enters where thematically appropriate dress, less the fantasy be broken.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have golf clubs. Would that work in lieu of a baseball bat?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Separate bedrooms for each kid and parents.

Library.

Laundry room.

Multiple walk in closets.

Piano room.

Dining room.

Kitchen 1.

Kitchen 2.

Pantry.

Pooltable / darts room.

Ham radio room (not used).

Bar.

Gun range.

Three guest bedrooms.

Toy room / playroom.

Separate offices (workspace) for each family member.

Spare office.

Live in staff rooms.

Changing rooms for the pool (male and female, separate).

Pool lounge.

Pool kitchen.

Garage space for 8 cars.

Sunroom.

Greenhouse.

Multiple "industrial" rooms (like where the furnace and air conditioners are. The air conditioner is custom built and literally large enough to walk inside of.)

I've been in a house (multi-building complex, really) with all of this. The rich live lives utterly removed from the experience of most people.

Most of those aren't bedrooms.

My townhouse has 12-13 rooms based on the definition of "room." It has 3 bedrooms.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Oh come on

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/870342939339259905
https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/870344714716925952

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

Schizotek posted:

Make sure you make everyone who enters where thematically appropriate dress, less the fantasy be broken.

I un-ironically would like to see that cat with a bunch of tattoos of dogs.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

"you can't depend on the US for anything because our politicians are spiteful and petty, so never consider us a good partner for anything ever again" is the trump doctrine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Any situation which you would actually be able to make use of said body armor (i.e. attacked at home with ample forewarning) would end disastrously unless you have some means of fighting off an attacker and "get the hell out of there" which as you mentioned is the best option would be much more successful if you didn't waste time putting on something that would probably slow you down.

Right, but your solution is to get a tool that's way more likely to kill you or another innocent person than save your life. So...I'm not seeing why your solution is better than mine.

• Locked thread