Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

People are learning how to deal with her. I was a big fan of bunny hop but I feel pressured to take big shot a lot lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

People are learning how to deal with her. I was a big fan of bunny hop but I feel pressured to take big shot a lot lately

Big shot feels just all around more useful if you can land it consistently. I cannot so I do bunny hop. But I've died enough times to that stupid little gun.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

It is 100% how much time you're going to spend as pilot. If you're not blowing up during fights big shot is kind of wasted. Bunny hop is good damage and actually really good for pinning down people trying to retreat.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It is 100% how much time you're going to spend as pilot. If you're not blowing up during fights big shot is kind of wasted. Bunny hop is good damage and actually really good for pinning down people trying to retreat.

This could also be a player rank thing, because Bunny Hop is often a big "KILL ME" sign on D.Va while pilot mode gets zoned hard and can have trouble getting in her shots to suit up. I am, however, tempted to try Supressing Fire/Bunny Hop and see if the extra range is enough to get back in fast.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Can't stop winning as Leoric. His waveclear plus his drain life is pure victory at my trash mmr

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Nephzinho posted:

This could also be a player rank thing, because Bunny Hop is often a big "KILL ME" sign on D.Va while pilot mode gets zoned hard and can have trouble getting in her shots to suit up. I am, however, tempted to try Supressing Fire/Bunny Hop and see if the extra range is enough to get back in fast.

I typically stick to shooting creeps or walls away from the action if I'm trying to get back in the meka

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Hahaha, I was being a barrel as Chen and after DVA uses her self-destruct, you can push it around like a normal character. Get outta here with that denial.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

*first three players on my team show tracer, illidan, artanis*

me: "yikes, this team seems really AA reliant. maybe a mage?"

*all 3 say nothing and lock in their characters*

*enemy locks arthas*

*my team gets loving obliterated*

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ignite Memories posted:

*enemy locks arthas*

Literally my experience with HL. Every time.

Edit: This is when you carry with Genji.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

Ignite Memories posted:

*enemy locks arthas*

I really don't think you got obliterated just because of an Arthas pick. He's rarely going to be in range of more than 1 of those heroes at any given time, you could have gotten punished a lot worse than that.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I left out the part about how they all just kept diving the enemy team anytime someone got low, and how they just kept getting baited into fighting him until it was too late to escape, but the comp REALLY didn't help.

At one point the illidan used his hunt to cross from blue keep to blue fort and push minions. There weren't even any mercs in that wave.

It was a truly remarkable game, and i had a bad feeling right from that first moment.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Illidan can probably reset the cooldown on hunt by clearing 2 waves so it's not that big a deal. But in general it sounds like he, your team was bad.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I need to get better at ignoring tanks and going for soft targets. Was in a game with some goons last night where we got obliterated in part because a Chen would park his fat rear end in our group and everyone would try to focus him down. I knew I was doing it too but couldn't help it at times. His health bar was low and it was just so tempting...

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

I need to get better at ignoring tanks and going for soft targets. Was in a game with some goons last night where we got obliterated in part because a Chen would park his fat rear end in our group and everyone would try to focus him down. I knew I was doing it too but couldn't help it at times. His health bar was low and it was just so tempting...

I get so much satisfaction as a tank when this happens. Alternatively when they ignore me the rest of the game it makes me feel like I'm a waste of a teammate

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Sometimes it's the correct answer to kill the tank. It comes down to experience to figure out which is the correct call.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Most of the time I would say. Not even close to always, but I'd peg it at more often than not.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I'm a big fan of attacking the tank (note, I didn't say worthlessly blowing all your cooldowns and mana on the tank). If you kill the Tank you cripple the rest of the team's ability to fight. So if the enemy tank is just going to put himself out there to be killed, and your team can simply safe focus him (rather than trying to force something by him to get at their backline) then go for it. The problem is when people *don't* attack the tank and just let him stomp around CCing people and loving you up because "DON'T FOCUS THE TANK!"

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Tender Bender posted:

Don't forget that sometimes the tank IS the best target. Like if you guys had the CC or if all they have is single target heals sometimes it makes sense to split the healer's focus or see if you can bait them into depleting mana. Yeah though it is frustratingly easy for a team to go all in on the wrong enemy.

Yeah I'm just thinking of similar situations to what Elysium just posted. Where the other team is positioned properly and it's only safe to attack the frontline. So you see people who just spout common wisdom by rote like "You idiots need to focus the healer!" when diving the healer would be suicide but throwing some AAs at the tank at least costs them some mana.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 1, 2017

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

bamhand posted:

Illidan can probably reset the cooldown on hunt by clearing 2 waves so it's not that big a deal. But in general it sounds like he, your team was bad.

Yeah, this seems like the correct assessment. I have on rare occasion used The Hunt to get to a huge wave to clear/soak and it's up by the time I'm done clearing. Not an ideal or common use, and that team sounds miserable anyways, but it can occur.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 1, 2017

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
It really depends on the situation and what hero you are playing. If you're playing Raynor then you want to stand at the safest distance possible while still auto-attacking which means you are probably hitting the tank and that's okay. If you're playing Chromie then chances are you will be able to nuke the squishier targets while still remaining safe.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Does one typically go Flamestrike or Living Bomb on Kael'Thas?

He was free recently and I quickly fell in love with his play style. I prefer Living Bomb. Lately I've been getting a bit of flak in games though, even if I do well on the scoreboard.

I think my account is around level 95 and I'm level 11 with Kael, so I'm sure I'm still getting paired up with people who have no idea what's going on but I was playing with 2 friends last night when the most wonderful thing happened that just makes me love Bomb so much. The Falstad was a random pub and was perfectly on point with that gust.

I suspect that as you get better, people generally learn to spread out so that bomb isn't really all that effective?

I looked around at a few guides but I never really like using them. Even if it was updated just a few months ago, I've only been playing a few weeks (since I originally played in beta) so I have no idea how accurate/good they really are.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Does one typically go Flamestrike or Living Bomb on Kael'Thas?

He was free recently and I quickly fell in love with his play style. I prefer Living Bomb. Lately I've been getting a bit of flak in games though, even if I do well on the scoreboard.

I think my account is around level 95 and I'm level 11 with Kael, so I'm sure I'm still getting paired up with people who have no idea what's going on but I was playing with 2 friends last night when the most wonderful thing happened that just makes me love Bomb so much. The Falstad was a random pub and was perfectly on point with that gust.

I suspect that as you get better, people generally learn to spread out so that bomb isn't really all that effective?

I looked around at a few guides but I never really like using them. Even if it was updated just a few months ago, I've only been playing a few weeks (since I originally played in beta) so I have no idea how accurate/good they really are.

This doesn't work against people with a pulse. Normally when you engage 3v5 you are deleted and they walk to your core.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
If you just Flamestrike them all when they are all grouped up and Butcher Lambed you kill them all AND you live because you are half a screen away.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I love, love Living Bomb for the rare amazing moments. It's chasing the dragon for sure, but a good chaining bomb is like nothing else in HotS. If you want reliability of any sort though, Flamestrike is definitely the way to go.

Also in QM just take the mana shield on 1 even if you go Flamestrike, trying to get the quest done without a front line is worth less than improved survival.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

In our situation we weren't killing the tank, just pummeling him while he drank his keg at like 20 percent health and getting healed. I'm not sure exactly what was going on. These were teamfights around the big demons in battlefield of eternity so it's not like we were out of range of their healer/etc. Chen was being a big nuisance which is why I targeted him. Maybe people were spreading their fire around and I didn't notice?

I mean I'm only assuming that's what other people were thinking, from what I could tell it was a group of mostly new fellow goons. Nobody got pissed off so that was nice.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Just attack the closest target that you can safely DPS. If you aren't being focused move the priority up to a softer higher value target. If you are just kite and do what you can. Everything is situational, a lot of times attacking the tank is the only thing you can safely do. That's still better than doing nothing.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Taking bomb talents really really forces the team to play around it. When fleeing you don't have the luxury of spreading out much.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

If you've gotten him at 20% he's pretty much done doing tank things for a while anyway, so depending on how quickly he can heal back up that may have been the worst time to start focusing on him.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'll have to give Flamestrike another opportunity tonight, I suppose. The first few games I played, I went for the quest and just had a bad time between still being bad at the game + solo queue. I either just couldn't complete the quest at all, or didn't get it until it was so late in the game.

I figured Bomb tapered off once you get higher but hoped it was considered better :v:

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
In QM, I'd say always go full Living Bomb.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The orb level 1 talent is probably the best because it's by far the safest choice

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The orb level 1 talent is probably the best because it's by far the safest choice

If you aren't playing Kael well enough to complete Convection, then it doesn't matter what you pick.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I focus on constantly pelting people with free bombs so I'm not really throwing out enough qs to do the quest.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It depends on their team comp. If they have some divey heroes that decide they want to kill you then often there's not much you can do about it. Sure your team can wipe their whole team in the process but you'll still be dead. You should probably just go mana shield in those cases. Or if they just have a Chromie, you absolutely need mana shield.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/heroes/malthael/

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

So hitting someone with a single basic attack nails then for 10% of their base health?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If you aren't playing Kael well enough to complete Convection, then it doesn't matter what you pick.

A quality post and great advice for a player learning a character; "Don't."

Anyway, as folks have pointed out Kael's Q build and convection really is the strongest build, but the reason some are suggesting living bomb for QM or skipping convection is you don't really know if you'll have a tank that can peel or if you'll be in a match that can spare you not trading for 10 minutes -which might be how long it takes to get the stacks if you're stuck soloing a lane. Hell even if living bomb isn't getting chain combos you can use it to force the other team to stay spread out and if they're heavy on melee that can be a very good thing.

Kael is a win big or lose big character in general, and really gets punished hard if they catch him out of position.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

So hitting someone with a single basic attack nails then for 10% of their base health?

They could just delete Cho'gall from the game instead of releasing this hero if they hate him this much

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Maybe he'll be more interesting in practice/while playing him, but he seems kinda boring from the skill descriptions.

Also Last Rites sounds basically like Reaper's Scythe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Mal looks pretty cool, but a low HP/no mobility/short range hero who does 100% of their damage through DoTs is going to be pretty weak in the current meta.

Seems like Lunara will be much better against low Hp peeps and Tychus will be much better against tanks.