Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

lol i have been employee number 5, employee number 3,xxx, employee number 1xx,xxx

and not once have i ever supplied a transcript or been background checked (aside from an actual govt clearance, which wasn't part of the hiring process)

basically same but w/ diff employee numbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

closest i got was my first job out of grad school was interested in unofficial grad school transcripts

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i have an employee number in the 1x,xxx's and now we're up in the 4x,xxx's so everyone thinks i'm a gramma

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i've only been background checked with my current gig and it was terrible

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ThePeavstenator posted:

A long-time buddy of mine does intelligence work involving computers in the Air Force and has a top secret clearance and AFAIK is still a dual Japanese and American citizen.

i thought japan didn't allow dual citizenship? an acquaintance in college who was born in the us to japanese nationals had to pick one or the other by the age of 22

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

The_Franz posted:

i thought japan didn't allow dual citizenship? an acquaintance in college who was born in the us to japanese nationals had to pick one or the other by the age of 22

I have no idea which is why I said AFAIK, if that's the case then he probably dropped his Japanese citizenship.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The_Franz posted:

yeah im p sure you have to renounce your other citizenship and select a japanese name to become a japanese citizen.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

My japanese name is Faye Aerith Valentine

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

yeah im p sure you have to renounce your other citizenship and select a japanese name to become a japanese citizen.

it's complicated because many countries do not recognize that as a valid reason for dropping citizenship

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The_Franz posted:

there are exceptions, like if you were 20 or older dual citizen before 1985

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

cis autodrag posted:

not according to the vapors!!!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PCjr sidecar posted:

not according to the vapors!!!
nice!

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

thanks for the background check info, thread. i'm glad being an idiot for a while is no barrier to figgies.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

power botton posted:

My japanese name is Faye Aerith Valentine

lol. i had a coworker who named his daughter aerith back in the early 2000s i wonder if she has killed herself yet

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i wonder how LaKynn is doing

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The_Franz posted:

i've never applied for something that needed real clearance though and i probably never will since i'm a dual citizen and that's basically an automatic disqualifier.

with which countries? us & canada isn't a disqualifier at all

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i held off on the salary question during my last negosh' ("i got laid off, number to beat is '0' lol") and the background check helpfully included every salary from every job, down to the penny

there was also a panicked email from the recruiter when they couldn't verify my last employment because the 2-man startup running out of money was on vacation

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

with which countries? us & canada isn't a disqualifier at all

us and an eu country

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

is it one of the good eu countries

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Balobam posted:

is it one of the good eu countries

oxymoron!!!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The_Franz posted:

us and an eu country

if it's not uk ur boned i think. if it's uk, there might be hope, but slim

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

if it's not uk ur boned i think. if it's uk, there might be hope, but slim

i'm a dirty southern slav, so yeah

being able to freely live and work in the majority of the western world is more important to me than being able to work for a defense contractor and design things used to rain death on brown people

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
alright, im workshopping my counteroffer now. the initial offer won't let me break even given housing costs out there and im working out a way to phrase that that isn't whiny. ive been reading articles all day but if there's any good ones people like pls link them.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

including bonus and RSUs?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

cis autodrag posted:

alright, im workshopping my counteroffer now. the initial offer won't let me break even given housing costs out there and im working out a way to phrase that that isn't whiny. ive been reading articles all day but if there's any good ones people like pls link them.

If you're moving to the Bay Area then I suggest you lower your housing quality expectations. No matter how much money you get, you're never gonna be living in the type of place that you feel you should be at that income level. It's a common mistake people make coming out here: their compensation is huge for any other part of the country, but lots of people here make more and there's not enough housing to go around so anything you'd consider desirable is already rented for more than you can afford. Get used to the idea of lovely apartments and look forward instead to filling them with nice things, because that's the standard of living here unless you have a million dollars in your investment accounts

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

including bonus and RSUs?

RSUs don't pay your rent every month :). My condo mortgage and insurance only costs me 600 a month. Even an average apartment that allows dogs is around 3k higher than that out there.

What I plan to ask for isn't unreasonable imo, but just want to make sure I'm using the best approach p much. I'd actually trade away stock for more base.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

JewKiller 3000 posted:

If you're moving to the Bay Area then I suggest you lower your housing quality expectations. No matter how much money you get, you're never gonna be living in the type of place that you feel you should be at that income level. It's a common mistake people make coming out here: their compensation is huge for any other part of the country, but lots of people here make more and there's not enough housing to go around so anything you'd consider desirable is already rented for more than you can afford. Get used to the idea of lovely apartments and look forward instead to filling them with nice things, because that's the standard of living here unless you have a million dollars in your investment accounts

I'm totally down to live in a poo poo hole but even those are much more expensive that the house I own here. I'm talking just basic not ending up with less take home money than what I have now.

Edit: everything I'm reading says that it's dumb not to negotiate at all. I just see a lot of conflicting advice about what the best approach is and wanted to get opinions on that.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

JewKiller 3000 posted:

:agreed: I've said this about NYC but same applies to bay: standard of living doesnt mean sqft to sqft

that said, counter offers: "wow! that sounds great I'm really excited for this opportunity! I was looking for compensation more in line with X, is there anything you can do on your side? again, super excited!"

just keep it really breezy, you want more money, they know you want more money, they expect you to ask for more money, they're probably ready to give you more money. depending on the company they might not give you more money, so make your peace with that -- but also, they might. in no world will a reasonable employer say "omg you greedy gently caress, offer rescinded"

picking X is a little harder, but it's probably always safe to ask for 10k, or 10% more cash or so -- probably even more if you know about what they pay other people, comparable, etc.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't understand, are you saying that you have a counteroffer from epic for MORE than the Apple offer INCLUDING bonus and RSUs? Or are you trying to make a cost of living argument? Yes you should negotiate but they probably aren't going to budge much on salary, they know how much it takes for their employees to pay rent and that's already factored in. And they can't print more dollar bills to pay you, but they can print more stock, which you just sell as soon as it vests, it's basically free money and you absolutely can pay your rent with it

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

one time i got offered 100k, I said "no, how about 120k", and they said "well we're a small seed stage company so thats just out the question, but we can do 110k" and then later when neither of us worked there my then boss said over beers "btw you shoulda said no once more, i woulda given you 120"

life lesson right there

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

JewKiller 3000 posted:

I don't understand, are you saying that you have a counteroffer from epic for MORE than the Apple offer INCLUDING bonus and RSUs? Or are you trying to make a cost of living argument? Yes you should negotiate but they probably aren't going to budge much on salary, they know how much it takes for their employees to pay rent and that's already factored in. And they can't print more dollar bills to pay you, but they can print more stock, which you just sell as soon as it vests, it's basically free money and you absolutely can pay your rent with it

I'm saying that my house costs 600 a month and their offer is not enough over what I already make to cover the annual rent on even a cheap bay area apartment without me actually ending up with less take home pay. Epic pays cartoonish amounts of money for the cost of living in Wisconsin. My housing costs are less than 10 percent of my income.

If basically be asking for what it would take for me to bring home the exact same amount of money.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

cis autodrag posted:

RSUs don't pay your rent every month :). My condo mortgage and insurance only costs me 600 a month. Even an average apartment that allows dogs is around 3k higher than that out there.

$3.6k is a bit much for a 1br 750sqft with dogs in the south bay. $2.6k is more on par with what i've seen. maybe 2.7 if you end up in one of the increasing number of places that charge $100/mo pet rent

but that also depends on the amenities you're thinking of. $3.6k is probably closer to typical if you're looking at anything between redwood city and sunnyvale that has been newly built in the last 10-15 years

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

cis autodrag posted:

an average apartment that allows dogs

this is the type of thing i'm talking about regarding housing btw... the supply side absolutely dominates the relationship, so the more constraints you have the more hosed you are. i love dogs and would own a dog if i lived anywhere else, but i live on the peninsula. here in redwood city it's possible, but i used to live in palo alto, and do you want to know how many landlords in palo alto and adjacent menlo park allow dogs? the answer is zero. you can definitely find a place that will allow dogs, you're just gonna have to give up another constraint like "close to work" or "less than 3 thousand american dollars per month"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

how badly do you want to get out keep in mind w/e that's worth to you (tho obviously negotiate and get paid)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cis autodrag posted:

My condo mortgage and insurance only costs me 600 a month.

lmao.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

one time i got offered 100k, I said "no, how about 120k", and they said "well we're a small seed stage company so thats just out the question, but we can do 110k" and then later when neither of us worked there my then boss said over beers "btw you shoulda said no once more, i woulda given you 120"

life lesson right there

that's a really tricky gambit though

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

JewKiller 3000 posted:

this is the type of thing i'm talking about regarding housing btw... the supply side absolutely dominates the relationship, so the more constraints you have the more hosed you are. i love dogs and would own a dog if i lived anywhere else, but i live on the peninsula. here in redwood city it's possible, but i used to live in palo alto, and do you want to know how many landlords in palo alto and adjacent menlo park allow dogs? the answer is zero. you can definitely find a place that will allow dogs, you're just gonna have to give up another constraint like "close to work" or "less than 3 thousand american dollars per month"

I mean, I literally own two dogs, one of which is a pit bull. But I take your point and I do know I'll have tradeoffs to make. But I still want to make sure I'm getting as much as I can to make those decisions less stressful.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i love dogs and would own a dog if i lived anywhere else, but i live on the peninsula. here in redwood city it's possible, but i used to live in palo alto, and do you want to know how many landlords in palo alto and adjacent menlo park allow dogs? the answer is zero. you can definitely find a place that will allow dogs, you're just gonna have to give up another constraint like "close to work" or "less than 3 thousand american dollars per month"

i think cis mentioned she has a pitbull mix so she's doubly screwed in that respect. it's not impossible but she's definitely going to have to make some tradeoffs

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

cis autodrag posted:

Epic pays cartoonish amounts of money for the cost of living in Wisconsin.

so if i have aging family near milwaukee and moving to wi in the next few years has to be considered as a possibility, is this something i should keep in mind or is it a hard pass for all peoples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
but even then i know someone here with two dogs one of which is a rottweiler mix and they're getting along in campbell with less than $3k a month in rent so i know it's definitely doable under that figure

• Locked thread