Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Right, but it seems pretty controlled, is Liquid Oxygen super flammable? Because it barely caught on fire when he set the whole cup on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Right, but it seems pretty controlled, is Liquid Oxygen super flammable? Because it barely caught on fire when he set the whole cup on fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9sIT6P_05I

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Edit: beaten by a second!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Liquid oxygen is basically combustion in material form, not only is it very flammable but it can make things flammable that are not normally flammable.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

wdarkk posted:

Good thinking rotating to put the whole width of your vehicle in the way.

If he had enough time and thought to do this, why couldn't he gun the throttle and move out of the way?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Turtlicious posted:

LOx makes literally everything else super flammable

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm the guy who nearly trips into the pile of broken bricks at the end.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

Our favorite OSHA/FOOF King is now making LOX and is just as cavalier handling it as you'd think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJqvN4_2rxE

Watch till the end. It gets worse.

This dumb motherfucker is going to end up as a news blurb containing the words "remains only partially recovered" one day.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

What I'm upset about is the perfectly nice house he'll burn along with his dumb rear end.
And possibly a neighbourhood.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

Liquid oxygen isn't so much flammable as it is more or less fire waiting for a fuel. It will spontaneously detonate given most any heat source and fuel.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Perfectly landed between the tire tracks. Great success!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I mean I'm not saying don't dick around with liquid oxygen... But if you're going to do it at least do it outside, and maybe portion it out before you want to pour it on something. Don't hold a pint of it in a Styrofoam cup directly above an open flame. Oh and then keeping that container about 8 inches away from the burning material ready to be knocked over.

I think he did something like that with liquid propane too that bothered me. Holding a large container of combustible liquid above an open flame in order to pour out a few drops.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If he had enough time and thought to do this, why couldn't he gun the throttle and move out of the way?

I doubt slamming his foot on the throttle would have changed the end result in any meaningful way, it's not a car and is not intended to move quickly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Turtlicious posted:

Could someone explain to me the dangerous part, normally I get it, but this one confused me it seemed pretty controlled.

The thing is that it wasn’t controlled.

Nothing terrible happened this time, but only through dumb luck.

Compare to playing around with cup full of gasoline indoors.

Also, he’s going to get cancer from the polystyrene fumes.

Colour change on the canister paint was cool, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBM8e_VOOqI

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I like how the machine just looks like it dies when the hydraulic lines are cut.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

haveblue posted:

Liquid oxygen is basically combustion in material form, not only is it very flammable but it can make things flammable that are not normally flammable.

For reference oxygen is what gives the acetylene torch that extra kick to burn steel.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Not long ago someone posted the video where he froze gasoline with liquid nitrogen, and discovered that it could still ignite. He took advantage of this revelation by igniting the entire cup of frozen gasoline.

It exploded on the table and scorched the ceiling.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

People for example.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Excellent work by the drone operator, that's some stone cold professional camerawork. Most people would get a bit wobbly when they realise they're almost certainly going to witness someone die but this one just calmly maneuvered the drone into the best position to frame the collapsing chimney properly. :v:

Also it looks like the digger operator was knocking bricks out off to the side to try and guide the chimney's collapse away from himself and it was only sheer bad luck that it was a direct hit, but on the other hand he's a loving moron for leaving something like that even partially up to chance. There's a reason demolition experts use controlled explosions from a distance.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

haveblue posted:

I saw an OSHA report that someone was smoking in a high-oxygen environment, stomped on the cig to put it out, and the rubber/leather work boots promptly caught fire, and then the rest of him caught fire.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bum the Sad posted:

I mean I'm not saying don't dick around with liquid oxygen... But if you're going to do it at least do it outside, and maybe portion it out before you want to pour it on something. Don't hold a pint of it in a Styrofoam cup directly above an open flame. Oh and then keeping that container about 8 inches away from the burning material ready to be knocked over.

I think he did something like that with liquid propane too that bothered me. Holding a large container of combustible liquid above an open flame in order to pour out a few drops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjPxDOEdsX8

This was about 1985, btw. One of the very first videos uploaded to the internet - took me about a week to download it at 14.4k baud. My wife went to grad school with a lot of these people. It was an engineering department picnic.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

chitoryu12 posted:

Not long ago someone posted the video where he froze gasoline with liquid nitrogen, and discovered that it could still ignite. He took advantage of this revelation by igniting the entire cup of frozen gasoline.

It exploded on the table and scorched the ceiling.

The controls for Grant's experiments are all the kitchens in the world where we don't ignite frozen gasoline, smokeless powder, or LOX.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

He should freeze gasoline in liquid oxygen, then ignite it! :science:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

gently caress that get foof. That poo poo burns sand.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
I am almost certain his YouTube videos will invalidate his home insurance.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

oohhboy posted:

I wonder how much energy gets lost to space in an eruption that big.

Lost? Almost nothing. It won't reach escape velocity which means it will come back down. A tektite is a piece of ejected material from a meteorite hit or volcanic eruption that went up high enough that when it came back down, it was partially melted by compression heating of the atmosphere in front of it. Depending on the main angle of explosion, Yellowstone cooking off could cause firestorms in the Amazon, for example. There's an impact crater in Thailand for which tektites were found in Tasmania and New Zealand, which is around the same distance.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah Earth's gravity is too high for volcanic eruptions to reach escape velocity. It totally happens on lower gravity planets though.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Deteriorata posted:

This was about 1985, btw. One of the very first videos uploaded to the internet - took me about a week to download it at 14.4k baud. My wife went to grad school with a lot of these people. It was an engineering department picnic.

I remember when this became huge. Poor Purdue server infrastructure!

Even with the grainy low-res footage, the sound that grill makes when they dump LOX on it to start it up is delightful. Annihilated that little Weber.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There was an eruption from the Yellowstone supervolcano 1.3 million years ago which ejected 67 cubic miles of material and created a caldera 18 miles long and 23 miles wide, and that was the little eruption. There was another eruption 2.1 million years ago where 600 cubic miles of material decided it didn't want to be underground any more and popped up to say hello. It produced 2,500 times as much ash as the 1980 Mount St. Helens eruption.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Memento posted:

Lost? Almost nothing. It won't reach escape velocity which means it will come back down. A tektite is a piece of ejected material from a meteorite hit or volcanic eruption that went up high enough that when it came back down, it was partially melted by compression heating of the atmosphere in front of it. Depending on the main angle of explosion, Yellowstone cooking off could cause firestorms in the Amazon, for example. There's an impact crater in Thailand for which tektites were found in Tasmania and New Zealand, which is around the same distance.

It would lose a shedload of energy to space through radiation.

Not a lot initially and proportionally, but in absolute figures the quantity will be huge because the entire event is huge.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That's true, I went back and re-read the post I replied to and realised my brain went "Energy? Who cares! Flying rocks time!"

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

hahahhaahha

hahahhaahha

hahahhaahha

hahahhaahha

hahahhaahha

omg

oh my loving god, oh my loving god again whydidiwatchthis

wait, this is official ???

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
The 70s were a different time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBtjVhRoAKM

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ulmont posted:

These days you should only ever use either flammable or nonflammable.

Makes sense, either the thing flams or it doesn't flam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4tPsUTxZd8&t=106s

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"Your dick is inflamed."
"Oh cool thanks doctor I thought there might be something wrong with it but I guess not lol."

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's a reason demolition experts use controlled explosions from a distance.

Those dynamite boys don't know what they're at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L1WOnR2KBY

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Guy Axlerod posted:

The one time there's really a bump. Those signs have lost all meaning.

I never, ever grew tired of listening to dudebros bottom out their cars speeding over the dip in the road right outside my window. It was close enough to both stop signs that'd I got to hear them rev up their shitbox ricers from both directions then crunch scrape crunch scrape as they bounced over it. https://www.google.com/maps/@44.7763489,-93.3297856,3a,75y,208.03h,66.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sA7STSjlzVS47wNoVoigE3w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The road is literally divided along the county line and neither county wants to deal with fixing it. It hasn't changed at all in the decade since I've moved away. IIRC the counties once joined forces to install the Dip signs on each side of the road while I lived there, and have done absolutely nothing at all since then.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Deteriorata posted:

I don't know about the whole "1985" thing but one of his pre-youtube videos shows something like 40 or 50lbs of charcoal burned up in a few seconds. Dude has done it a whole bunch of times over the years.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Our favorite OSHA/FOOF King is now making LOX and is just as cavalier handling it as you'd think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJqvN4_2rxE

Watch till the end. It gets worse.

This guy's an idiot, but this is not that bad in comparison to the rest of his videos. He should have used a shot glass to transfer for the LO2, but he wasn't in danger of the liquid oxygen exploding, or the potato chip vaporizing and blowing up the house---because that's not how oxygen loving works, jesus. The only real danger here was that he could have splashed his clothing with LO2, and then caught it on fire (briefly causing it to burn much hotter than usual, loving him up in the process).

I'm honestly more concerned about letting all that liquid nitrogen evaporate indoors. I guess his kitchen wasn't enclosed enough for that to be a problem, but yeah, don't gently caress with nitrogen in an enclosed space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

It would lose a shedload of energy to space through radiation.

Not a lot initially and proportionally, but in absolute figures the quantity will be huge because the entire event is huge.

I asked because supposedly one of the reasons the Tsar Bomba got dialled back from 100MT to 50MT was that a massive amount of the energy would get lost to space rendering a bigger bomb pointless. It think it might have been other than all that engery getting radiated out was the fireball would have enough energy to "Get out" as it were dispersing outside of the atmosphere.

The other reason was that it would generate an ungodly amount of fallout.