Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Turns out if you extract economic wealth out of something black, you're likely a bad person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Is there anything Trump can do that can keep the coal industry alive, at least in the near term? More subsidies?

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Any word on whether Maddow is alive/dead/in cryostasis? She was really drat sick when she did her show Thursday and her twitter has been silent through some things that she'd normally tweet about :ohdear:.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

VanSandman posted:

Turns out if you extract economic wealth out of something black, you're likely a bad person.

But enough about the Kardashians.:haw:

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

It's more an issue of storing and moving that energy where the actual difficulty comes in. You have to plan for night and cloudy / overcast days.

Sure, you have to plan for night and cloudy/overcast days, and there are a multitude of proposed and implemented methods for doing so.

Mr Frothy wasn't arguing along those lines though, he was going "sun intermittent therefore solar bad."

Pakled posted:

Couldn't Congress smother this in its crib if they wanted? No interstate compacts without consent of Congress and all.

"We're not actually signing onto the Paris Climate Agreement. We just think it's a good idea."

Though actually what QuoProQuid said.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Pittsburgh is "the Paris of Appalachia" so Trump should have probably tried another P named city.

Also Pittsburgh didn't loving vote for Trump except for the rich shithead parts/suburbia and even then places like Monroeville where his campaign base of operations for Western PA voted for Hillary in most of the Wards.

Also using Pittsburgh as an example of a city and people wanting to bring back the glory of heavy industry is insulting because the region has spent over half a goddamn century trying to clean up the devastation left behind from the heavy industry sector ditching us to the curb. The city has made great strides in being environmentally clean and we still have a ways to go with our air/river quality

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
goddamn mueller hurry the gently caress up

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

botany posted:

I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say that CWII doesn't start with a bunch of states voluntarily upholding regulations that have been abandoned on a federal level. I know DND likes to be dramatic but come the gently caress on.

It does seem kind of like the decline of a strong central government and a reversion to allied individual states. Like, if the federal system stops providing necessary things and regions that can form mutual aid pacts to survive, that's pretty weird and sci-fi.

I could see it happening for education too, as state school systems protect themselves from federal abandonment and depredation.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/870342307031265280

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

business hammocks posted:

It does seem kind of like the decline of a strong central government and a reversion to allied individual states. Like, if the federal system stops providing necessary things and regions that can form mutual aid pacts to survive, that's pretty weird and sci-fi.

I could see it happening for education too, as state school systems protect themselves from federal abandonment and depredation.

If this leads to Blue States no longer sending majority of their tax revenue to prop up all the failed red states like today, that's good. They can have fun with their coal economies all they want.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Any word on whether Maddow is alive/dead/in cryostasis? She was really drat sick when she did her show Thursday and her twitter has been silent through some things that she'd normally tweet about :ohdear:.

who is going to put a stop to hillary, when will teh killing end

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Those of you who can read German, this is a pretty good article on what exiting the Paris Accord actually means and why it's bad for the US:

http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/natur/donald-trump-und-welt-klimavertrag-das-bedeutet-der-ausstieg-der-usa-a-1150356.html

For those of you who can't read our gibberish, the short version is basically that the US won't be part of the talks surrounding the climate agreement anymore. Those talks are not about emission goals, since the signed states set those themselves anyway, but they are an international opportunity to make deals. Under the present agreement, countries are investing heavily into renewable energy infrastructure, which typically takes the form of, e.g., Germany investing billions into India's renewable energy sources. This means India gets top of the line technology on the cheap, while German engineering firms get lucrative contracts. Such agreements are also bargaining chips in negotiations on all sorts of deals from anti-terrorism cooperation to the refugee situation. The US is going to lose a lot of influence by no longer sitting at those tables. This will mean loss of contracts for US firms and loss of investment money, all in a country like the US, where more people work in renewable energy than in oil, gas and coal combined.

And then there's obviously the danger of global warming, which would hit certain US areas hard anyway, but this is really about a lot more than just climate change.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

LOL, what a little pissbaby.
I dunno what's wrong with me, Sean, but I definitely find it funny.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I don't know the answer to his question, but I just laughed for a solid 5 seconds at that graphic.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Rad Russian posted:

If this leads to Blue States no longer sending majority of their tax revenue to prop up all the failed red states like today, that's good. They can have fun with their coal economies all they want.

I'm sure we'd have lots of fun absorbing millions of refugees from the failing south and rust belt.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

JazzFlight posted:

LOL, what a little pissbaby.
I dunno what's wrong with me, Sean, but I definitely find it funny.

:same: I'm a Californian though, so I'm already doomed.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crain posted:

Yes. My coal country cousins from WV legitimately say they are against retraining, against altering the state's "industry identity", and want it to be coal or nothing.

One of them is even a loving machinist, but works exclusively on coal mining equipment repairing the heavy machines and making new parts for 80+ year old stuff.

He could make parts for anything. He could be making parts for Turbines, frames for solar panels, anything.

But no. Coal country.

Remember that Hillary gave a speech about how she was the only candidate who had a plan for training out of work miners in coal country in new and emerging green energy industries, and literally the only thing that coal country actually heard was "we're going to put a lot of coal miners out of work", with everything else being white noise to them.

Of course, thats also the only thing a lot of leftists heard as well.

berserker posted:

To a smart Democratic Party this would cement that whoever is on the 2020 ticket will run on a platform of climate change and staying in the Paris agreement. "If you elect me, we will stay in the Paris agreement, we will not abandon our children and our children's children" We'll see if the Democratic Party is smart.

You mean like the candidate in 2016 did and the response from leftists was "gently caress YOU, BITCH, I'M VOTING GREEN!!!!!", "FRACKING!!!!!", "I don't believe you!", and "WHY WON'T YOU SUCK COALS DICK!"?

St. Dogbert posted:

The first person to come up with a feasible manner for removing stupid people's right to vote wins one hundred (100) brownie points.

Sanity test before voting, testing if they understand basic facts of reality. The VRA and Katzenbach V. Morgan doesn't prohibit tests for voting, just specifically literacy tests. Basic science, math and reality can still be used as a barrier against letting the insane vote.

Alternatively, declare it a 4 day weekened to vote and offer free rides to the closest polling place, but put all polling places in the big city, in the places that conservatives think of as "those" neighborhoods.

VanSandman posted:

So all of you devs who made games for the Ps2, 3 and 4, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 1, 2017

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

The best part is all the people demanding that Hannity sue The Onion over that.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

botany posted:

Those of you who can read German, this is a pretty good article on what exiting the Paris Accord actually means and why it's bad for the US:

http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/natur/donald-trump-und-welt-klimavertrag-das-bedeutet-der-ausstieg-der-usa-a-1150356.html

For those of you who can't read our gibberish, the short version is basically that the US won't be part of the talks surrounding the climate agreement anymore. Those talks are not about emission goals, since the signed states set those themselves anyway, but they are an international opportunity to make deals. Under the present agreement, countries are investing heavily into renewable energy infrastructure, which typically takes the form of, e.g., Germany investing billions into India's renewable energy sources. This means India gets top of the line technology on the cheap, while German engineering firms get lucrative contracts. Such agreements are also bargaining chips in negotiations on all sorts of deals from anti-terrorism cooperation to the refugee situation. The US is going to lose a lot of influence by no longer sitting at those tables. This will mean loss of contracts for US firms and loss of investment money, all in a country like the US, where more people work in renewable energy than in oil, gas and coal combined.

And then there's obviously the danger of global warming, which would hit certain US areas hard anyway, but this is really about a lot more than just climate change.

ya this all makes sense

not your translation (i mean, it does) but the outcome - that our dumb president's move to 'create jobs' is going to destroy opportunities for jobs

yep

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

I hope he takes his followers' advice and sues the onion over this

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

Is there anything Trump can do that can keep the coal industry alive, at least in the near term? More subsidies?

There is nothing they can do to un-ring the bell with Coal. Whether you're talking about giant self-driving Caterpillars out in the strip mines of Wyoming or new shaft mining construction in the Appalachians, that ship has sailed. All these old (and not so old) coal miners know exactly why they're sitting on their asses unemployed. They watched the companies buy the machines that could do 10 times the aggregate work with 1/5th the staff. They saw it coming, they were standing on the tracks and even though the train was only moving at 5mph, they still got hit.

This entire exercise is longing masturbation for one of those old time movies showing industrial production in the 1920's. Machine shops with literally 500 (white) guys on a shift all buzzing around, being industrious. That is a dead dream and it will stay dead.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

botany posted:

Well that's no good. :smith:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

skylined! posted:

ya this all makes sense

not your translation (i mean, it does) but the outcome - that our dumb president's move to 'create jobs' is going to destroy opportunities for jobs

yep

B-b-but...the job creators~

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Hopefully the next incarnation of Sherman gets to finish the job then.

Sherman wasn't all too hot about 'the negros' and poo poo my dude, might wanna be careful with that implication :ssh:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Countdown to the usual gang of idiots on the right screaming about how this is more treasonous than Trump's collusion with the Russians

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

botany posted:

:downsbravo:

I hope at the end of all this Christopher Walken hosts something live in the White House, it's on every station, he walks down that hall Obama did when Bin Laden was killed, but Christopher Walken walks down the hallway, gets to the mic, and just says: the aristocrats. Fade to black, Looney Toons credit music plays.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Yardbomb posted:

Sherman wasn't all too hot about 'the negros' and poo poo my dude, might wanna be careful with that implication :ssh:

There's some GBS poster who's obsessed with hating the south and he got some redtext featuring Sherman quotes. I thought it was goons putting words in shermans mouth but nope it's some real :stare: stuff.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
the good news is, as a nation, our pullout game is stronger than ever

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

I'm sure we'd have lots of fun absorbing millions of refugees from the failing south and rust belt.

I'm ready to claim refugee status right now if it'll get me out of Kansas

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Grimdude posted:

Witnessed this little showdown today. OP has been making GBS threads on Dems (which he is) since Day One of Trump's presidency. I'm sure there are both people who agree and disagree with him in this thread, so what's the overall take? For me personally; OP is being incredibly naive in thinking the Democrats should just be super civil and only criticize Trump if its of utmost necessity. I'm sure being spineless nerds with boring and sound policies will totally work.

Hans turns into Joyce and then Reanne. Barb turns into Fred and then Tom.

I was watching one of those "Is Islam a religion of Peace" debates in the UK and it's always fascinating to deconstruct political discussions and realize why nothing ever get's done in politics. When people aren't busy arguing past each other, refuting ridiculous straw men they've set up for the other side, and just generally trying to be the first to win at Logical Fallacy Bingo they're going on multi-page long tangents about the definition of "irrational". And to top it all off, a good amount of the time the actual topic of the debate, is not only vague and ill-defined, allowing it to be open to interpretation, but the answer isn't even really that relevant to solving the actual real-world problems the debate is trying to address.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 1, 2017

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

buglord posted:

There's some GBS poster who's obsessed with hating the south and he got some redtext featuring Sherman quotes. I thought it was goons putting words in shermans mouth but nope it's some real :stare: stuff.

Is it pre-war or post-war stuff because there is some horrific stuff from before the war but I'm having a hard time finding any comments after emancipation. In any case, I think he is better known for hating rebels than he is people for their race so I want to make it clear that's the spirit I was invoking.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Fulchrum posted:

Remember that Hillary gave a speech about how she was the only candidate who had a plan for training out of work miners in coal country in new and emerging green energy industries, and literally the only thing that coal country actually heard was "we're going to put a lot of coal miners out of work", with everything else being white noise to them.

West Virginians are loving stupid and so hard for coal.

Source: West Virginian.

https://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/status/870401414903734273

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

achillesforever6 posted:

Pittsburgh is "the Paris of Appalachia" so Trump should have probably tried another P named city.

Also Pittsburgh didn't loving vote for Trump except for the rich shithead parts/suburbia and even then places like Monroeville where his campaign base of operations for Western PA voted for Hillary in most of the Wards.

Also using Pittsburgh as an example of a city and people wanting to bring back the glory of heavy industry is insulting because the region has spent over half a goddamn century trying to clean up the devastation left behind from the heavy industry sector ditching us to the curb. The city has made great strides in being environmentally clean and we still have a ways to go with our air/river quality

When I look at Pittsburgh, I say to myself "There is a city that loves Rust Belt capitalism. There is a city that hasn't embraced the future with a seething desperation, terrified of what it nearly became. There is a city that isn't psychologically and physically scarred by the betrayals of the Reagan years. Pittsburgh isn't a city that maniacally proclaims its bright future, to hide it's collective insecurity and existential dread. They don't watch Detroit carefully, as an omen of what almost was and could yet still be.

"Also they don't give two shits about sports there, it's really weird."

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

And they'd still have fun voting the way they do.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

We don't have to take them in. Set up safe zones in their own states.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TyrantWD posted:

We don't have to take them in. Set up safe zones in their own states.

That's, uhhh... called an occupation. Which is a thing that can get messy.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Majorian posted:

That's, uhhh... called an occupation. Which is a thing that can get messy.

pretty sure someone (TRUMP?) said some poo poo like this way back about Syria

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
A no fly zone over the flyover states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Arrgytehpirate posted:

West Virginians are loving stupid and so hard for coal.

Source: West Virginian.

Okay, but whats the excuse for leftists still saying that her speech was "gently caress all of you, I hope you die in a ditch. I really hate you on a personal level and want to laugh at your pain. Bye."

• Locked thread