Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Soup du Journey posted:

P...perhaps you are the April Fool, senpai?? :ohdear:

It wasn't April Fool's when it was sent so NOPE, ITS RENAISSANCE UO AGAIN BITCH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

yoloer420 posted:

So I've been trying to play this a bit.

Why?

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys I found the next funding phase of SotA

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-party-friendly-estate-in-austin-seeks-record-45-million-1491236591

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
He's selling his house? Crazy

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

yoloer420 posted:

He's selling his house? Crazy

He's gonna keep cycling between living in a castle and living in a spaceship forever, apparently.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

:allears:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

If the money for the game didn't make it to the game I have some strange feeling that he isn't going to use his own money for the game suddenly

He has enough money to budget an entire staff for years and went to crowdfunding instead

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
yeah you dont get and/or stay rich by spending your own money

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Mr. Pickles posted:

May I remind you of the fateful day when they asked for like 200k USD to design elves as a playable race, and their intentions to scam became crystal clear.

Or that video with the robot-ipad-garriott-face...c'mon

It was pretty calculated and cynical from the start if you ask me

Holy bananas, are you playing Conan Exiles these days? Because if not, somebody else is rocking the Mr Pickles moniker.

(sota is bad)

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

wasn't me :P

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Thursday Next posted:

(sota is bad)

......................./´¯/)
....................../..../
...................../..../
..................../..../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
.............\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Node fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 6, 2017

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
wowwweeeeee
https://twitter.com/MassivelyOP/status/850041975269150720

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
My offer of :10bux: is still on the table, Richard.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

I'm sorry, Node.

Just for giggles, I went back to try this thing out again. First time I logged in in... a year or so.

The game looks and feels like a shovelware "RPG" from 2004. Even playing single player was such boring, ugly garbage that I couldn't play for more than twenty minutes (and most of that was spent figuring out the new interface).

It somehow seems to have gotten worse than it was a year ago. Textures are flat, animations are garbage, art is wildly inconsistent, the colors are bizarre, and the fun is nowhere in sight. It is breathtakingly terrible.

I don't have enough words to describe how awful this game is.

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 7, 2017

headspace
Apr 25, 2014
I have been playing for a couple weeks. I like the game a great deal. It pushes the right buttons psychologically.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

headspace posted:

I have been playing for a couple weeks. I like the game a great deal. It pushes the right buttons psychologically.
What exactly does it do right? I've played myself and found the entire game to be nearly incomprehensible by modern standards.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Thursday Next posted:

I'm sorry, Node.

:qq:

:(

:cry:

N-no! I refuse to believe. I will post the extralong middle finger if this continues.

headspace
Apr 25, 2014

TheAgent posted:

What exactly does it do right? I've played myself and found the entire game to be nearly incomprehensible by modern standards.

That's why I just said it pushes the right buttons psychologically for me. It's kind of hard to describe. What makes it enjoyable for me, probably makes other people hate it. I hate overly polished theme park type games because they come across as sterile to me. You know you are never going to find some overpowered build or skill, and everything will be balanced (boring). With that in mind, SOTA being rough around the edges appeals to me. I really like the combat system, I like the player vendor system, and I like how easy it is for me to casually farm gold, and EXP.

That said, I will be the first to admit they have some things to work on. The most glaring is loot tables. They really need to code up a few dozen unique items for various levels, and get them into the loot tables, so I can potentially loot something interesting on occasion. How they have gone this far into the Dev cycle with loot in its current state is beyond me....

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

headspace posted:

That's why I just said it pushes the right buttons psychologically for me. It's kind of hard to describe. What makes it enjoyable for me, probably makes other people hate it. I hate overly polished theme park type games because they come across as sterile to me. You know you are never going to find some overpowered build or skill, and everything will be balanced (boring). With that in mind, SOTA being rough around the edges appeals to me. I really like the combat system, I like the player vendor system, and I like how easy it is for me to casually farm gold, and EXP.

That said, I will be the first to admit they have some things to work on. The most glaring is loot tables. They really need to code up a few dozen unique items for various levels, and get them into the loot tables, so I can potentially loot something interesting on occasion. How they have gone this far into the Dev cycle with loot in its current state is beyond me....

So play project gorgon

headspace
Apr 25, 2014

30.5 Days posted:

So play project gorgon

I do, and I love it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
UPDATE: The vendor a goon placed that is titled "Paid 400 for ugly airship lmao" that is across the street from an airship plot is still there. I logged on to refresh my house, saw that, and got a good chuckle. Don't forget to refresh that plot so the vendor stays there.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
So it looks like this game is having a free trial/open beta things that runs until the end of the month. Is there enough game here to make it worth taking a look yet?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

CoffeeBooze posted:

So it looks like this game is having a free trial/open beta things that runs until the end of the month. Is there enough game here to make it worth taking a look yet?

No.

The free trial is to open your eyes to what a total steaming pile of poo poo this game is.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

iminers posted:

No.

The free trial is to open your eyes to what a total steaming pile of poo poo this game is.

Wow, that was rude.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i'm not sure what 'equity crowdfunding' is but i imagine it's terrible

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
anyone backing this was dumb as gently caress lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/shroudoftheavatar/comments/6elvda/after_rereading_everything_in_seedinvest_im_about/

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Holy poo poo everything was an even bigger scam than I posted. No wonder they wouldn't refund me my base copy of the game donation for years, they're full on stealing and can't give back money they already spent. Lum are you still getting paid? We've all been really kind to you but at some point I am predicting you don't have a job there anymore and lose any reasons to defend Garriot and the other less famous weird guy who literally sold his own blood mounted in medieval wall vials

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

quote:

I'm sorry this is upsetting to you. I understand how you feel. I get worried when I think important things are not going into the game. One thing and I know you may not want to acknowledge this or hear it but here goes and my opinion only.

I believe Chris Roberts to be an honorable man. As much as he wants to do it all and have the team do it all they cannot do it all right this moment. The game you want cannot be made right now, but in my opinion it does not mean that it will not be made. As much as you want them to make both games right now the online version and the single player version I do not believe they can give both the attention that they need.

Also in my opinion Chris Roberts will honor his word and give the single player game his full attention when he can which is not right now. If Only They would ever say that it would make things easier. If you knew that one day they would pay full attention to the single player game then maybe you could just participate by helping with your great ideas with a better understanding of what is going on.

There is nothing that we can do to change the situation of CIG trying to make a game and pretending or seeming to pretend that they can do them both right now. I do not believe that they can't make the game for single player that will be wonderful but I too do not believe that it won't happen. Whenever they can they will make it right imo. So I don't know what else to say and just my opinions.

I always love your thoughts on what you see that the game you want should have and I do wish for you who has stuck with this for so long to get everything that you want one day. I just don't believe that that day is right now.
lol

its like we can see the future or something

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Any developer that stayed on with this project loving knew full well how dire things were and Lum you're just as goddamn bad.

Thanks for taking my cash! I'm dumb.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I'm regretting this.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I'm regretting this.

dude, just about this?? you and node need a loving support group at this point

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
Sooooo what, all the money is gone now?

And Garriot is asking for more?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Heard this game is the scam that Star Citizen aspires to be? Is it going up in flames? How spectacular is it? Is this due to outright malevolence and greed or is it pure incompetence? Also, was this the game with the $150 invisible dog pet?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

This makes me happy

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Can someone explain what the SeedInvest thing is for those of us that havent been following this game?

Also Alexander you need help dude. Seriously.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

CoffeeBooze posted:

Can someone explain what the SeedInvest thing is for those of us that havent been following this game?

Also Alexander you need help dude. Seriously.

Dudes *barely* a whale on the Croberts scale.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
looks like this sweet game will release in just 2 more months!

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I dunno man, he could have spent the rent on spaceship jpegs repeatedly at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
who could've guessed at any of this???

TheAgent posted:

hello
  • almost none of the stretch goals listed in the kickstarter will be implemented
  • release will be a total MVP to drudge up sales around oct/nov this year
  • free weekends brought almost no new players into the game
  • staff will be cut following release, including some high profile people
  • patches will add additional cash shop items but less and less gameplay
  • story and promised single player content will be pushed to TBA
  • heavily focused on the MMO portion
  • players who have spent over $1,000 consist of 99% of ongoing sales
  • peak players for Feb 2017 averaged less than 160
  • monthly income cannot cover expenditures
  • big name CEO is using own funds to cover the losses
shroud of the avatar