Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

It wasn't directed at sfor but I have received a bunch of requests from people on this forum asking for such things. And no, stranger on the internet, I will not do anything illegal for you. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Comptroll The Forums posted:

I want to go to Vegas again but I'm thinking of holding off until early November when I can get some cheap rates. My question is, is Vegas really empty that time if year? I just don't want to feel like I'm in a ghost town while I'm there. For comparison, last year I went mid September and crowd levels were great.

Also, is there a good resource for finding the new shows and stuff in Vegas?
The slowest travel week of the year is the week before Christmas, I've been to Vegas the week before Christmas a number of times and while it's a little slower, it's not dead by any means.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

JaySB posted:

It wasn't directed at sfor but I have received a bunch of requests from people on this forum asking for such things. And no, stranger on the internet, I will not do anything illegal for you. Sorry.

What about technically legal but highly unethical?

(For the record I am joking.)

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

photomikey posted:

The slowest travel week of the year is the week before Christmas, I've been to Vegas the week before Christmas a number of times and while it's a little slower, it's not dead by any means.

It's not a ghost town at that time but it is cheaper, and for that it is wonderful.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

photomikey posted:

CaptainScraps posted:

It's not a ghost town at that time but it is cheaper, and for that it is wonderful.

Glad to hear!

I saw that Rio is running a sort of "all-inclusive" package. Looks interesting but I'll be damned if I'm gonna stay at the Rio. Anybody know if a hotel that's actually on the strip is running a similar promotion?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

JaySB posted:

I think I have to explicitly state this at this point. Please don't ask me for drugs or to hook you up with someone who will get you drugs.

Speaking of drugs, have the rec dispensaries opened yet? I think it's going to be thoroughly amusing when they do.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
also just ask a cab driver if you want drugs.

like seriously, i've had cab drivers get legit offended i do not want to buy blow or hookers and just want driven to the flamingo

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

maskenfreiheit posted:

Speaking of drugs, have the rec dispensaries opened yet? I think it's going to be thoroughly amusing when they do.

From last trip in Feb can confirm they are openo

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

From last trip in Feb can confirm they are openo

recreational? not just w/ a medical card?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

maskenfreiheit posted:

Rec is July. Medical is currently open.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

But it is stupid easy to get medical. My friend (who is also a goon) walked into a medical clinic on the strip (Hawaiian marketplace) and walked out 15 minutes later with one.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Glad to hear!

I saw that Rio is running a sort of "all-inclusive" package. Looks interesting but I'll be damned if I'm gonna stay at the Rio. Anybody know if a hotel that's actually on the strip is running a similar promotion?

Max 12 drinks a day? What the hell are you going to do after 100AM every day?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

jabro posted:

Max 12 drinks a day? What the hell are you going to do after 100AM every day?

Do they count drinks at the tables? 12 pool drinks is pretty decent.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

bunnyofdoom posted:

But it is stupid easy to get medical. My friend (who is also a goon) walked into a medical clinic on the strip (Hawaiian marketplace) and walked out 15 minutes later with one.
Isn't that only for residents though?

photomikey posted:

I highly prefer the "deader" times. You can literally walk down the strip twice as fast when it's not clogged to the brim with people. The table stakes are lower, the hotels are cheaper, and the shows are cheaper and easier to get in. There are still plenty of people in the clubs and bars and tables and whatnot, so it doesn't really hurt the experience.

The only downside is there's less poker action. But if that's not your thing, then yeah, go during the dead seasons!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Imaduck posted:

Isn't that only for residents though?

No.

My friend is from Vancouver Island. So not only not a resident, not even a US citizen.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Imaduck posted:

I highly prefer the "deader" times. You can literally walk down the strip twice as fast when it's not clogged to the brim with people. The table stakes are lower, the hotels are cheaper, and the shows are cheaper and easier to get in. There are still plenty of people in the clubs and bars and tables and whatnot, so it doesn't really hurt the experience.
I know the dead times because they're my favorite. :-)

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Hey all, so I'm one of the dumb saps who's going for Memorial Day weekend. My friends want to hit up a club on the strip. The problem is that our gender ratio isn't great (5 guys, 2 girls) and also it's memorial day weekend. Does that matter? Would it help to get tickets in advance? Also, what clubs do people recommend? Thanks!

Edit: while I'm here, might as well ask - we're thinking of hitting up two buffets, Wicked Spoon and the Bacchanal. Are these both still good or have they been eclipsed by something else?

Akarshi fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 22, 2017

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Akarshi posted:

Hey all, so I'm one of the dumb saps who's going for Memorial Day weekend. My friends want to hit up a club on the strip. The problem is that our gender ratio isn't great (5 guys, 2 girls) and also it's memorial day weekend. Does that matter? Would it help to get tickets in advance? Also, what clubs do people recommend? Thanks!

Edit: while I'm here, might as well ask - we're thinking of hitting up two buffets, Wicked Spoon and the Bacchanal. Are these both still good or have they been eclipsed by something else?

No, yes, any with a DJ that you like

Both are good.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

When I hear "go early" to the clubs to avoid the lines, how early is early?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

10pm...Have fun

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
If I don't actually like clubs (at least, in the states) but like electronic music where would people suggest in Vegas?

I've had fun in Berlin but in America it seems to be much more aggressive/douchey the few times I've gone out. EDM is ok but the fans seem kind of fratty, going for more of a cool berlin vibe (or would settle for Eurotrash :) )

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

maskenfreiheit posted:

If I don't actually like clubs (at least, in the states) but like electronic music where would people suggest in Vegas?

I've had fun in Berlin but in America it seems to be much more aggressive/douchey the few times I've gone out. EDM is ok but the fans seem kind of fratty, going for more of a cool berlin vibe (or would settle for Eurotrash :) )

The racetrack during Electric Daisy Carnival? Someplace that isn't Vegas? Not liking clubs makes it challenging, especially in Vegas. There are occasionally venue events like the Dirtybird BBQ last weekend but most electronic music in Vegas is going to be clubs, or sometimes lounges.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
Any suggestions for a decent dinner that won't completely break the bank? I'll be at Caesar's for work during the day and then we're seeing 'O' at 7, so we're looking for something quick-ish that's not crazy expensive. Leading contenders are that crepe place at the Bellagio (maybe too informal?) or some quick sushi at Yellowtail (that may break the bank, but at least it's healthy). I used to like that Italian restaurant that was in a separate building outside at Caesar's, but that closed like 5+ years back.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

fordan posted:

The racetrack during Electric Daisy Carnival? Someplace that isn't Vegas? Not liking clubs makes it challenging, especially in Vegas. There are occasionally venue events like the Dirtybird BBQ last weekend but most electronic music in Vegas is going to be clubs, or sometimes lounges.

I mean, yeah might not be the right city. I come for work.

I've been to clubs in Europe that had a different vibe, more chill. People danced etc but it wasn't all about bottle service and throwing $ around.

(But I'm guessing there's nothing like Berghain in Vegas)

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Welp, my crew for next weekend decided they want to avoid the "club scene" but they still want to go dancing. Any suggestions for a non-headline club, or a non-garbage bar with a dance floor/DJ situation?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

maskenfreiheit posted:

I've been to clubs in Europe that had a different vibe, more chill. People danced etc but it wasn't all about bottle service and throwing $ around.

I don't really go to clubs, but I was at the Voodoo lounge at the Rio one night and it was kind of like what you're describing - and the place at the top of the Mandalay Bay. I bet any of the high-floor clubs/lounges that have a large outdoor balcony would be pretty chill on weeknights. Not sure about the music though :)

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Argyle posted:

Welp, my crew for next weekend decided they want to avoid the "club scene" but they still want to go dancing. Any suggestions for a non-headline club, or a non-garbage bar with a dance floor/DJ situation?

Ghost Bar

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

Any suggestions for a decent dinner that won't completely break the bank? I'll be at Caesar's for work during the day and then we're seeing 'O' at 7, so we're looking for something quick-ish that's not crazy expensive. Leading contenders are that crepe place at the Bellagio (maybe too informal?) or some quick sushi at Yellowtail (that may break the bank, but at least it's healthy). I used to like that Italian restaurant that was in a separate building outside at Caesar's, but that closed like 5+ years back.

You'll probably get better recommendations if you give an actual price range and say if that price should include drinks

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

maskenfreiheit posted:

There's lots of lounges and bars with greater or lesser degrees of chill, but they're more likely to be pop or live entertainment rather than electronic music. And yes, US clubs (especially Vegas & Miami) have a strong bottle-service focus, especially compared to the European clubs I've hit in Ibiza, Amsterdam and Prague.

icecastle
Jun 9, 2008
What's the best club on a Tuesday night?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

icecastle posted:

What's the best club on a Tuesday night?

Omnia

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Should have answered on Wednesday morning.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Just got back from my Vegas trip where Jay setup my hotel (MGM Grand) and Exotic Racing appointments. I got a steal on the hotel ($125 a night) and got free VIP at Exotic Racing. I saw Absinthe on Jay's advice and absolutely loved it. It's super raunchy and offensive so don't take your mom(The host guy doesn't give a gently caress and at one point made fun of an old lady in a wheelchair). I had breakfast at Bouchon which I thought was just okay but my friend loved his crepe. However, Hash hash a go go was delicious and I recommend splitting any meal you get there. Exotic racing was a blast and I recommend everyone go do it. I only did 5 laps in an Audi R8 but I wish I had done more. Overall, no complaints. Wish I had checked out the MGM pool though, apparently you don't have to pay covers if you stay at the hotel.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Glad I could help set you up with a good time and happy you enjoyed all my suggestions.

icecastle
Jun 9, 2008

Omnia was a great choice, thanks.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
JaySB - do you still have your booking/vegas site still? Wanted to book some stuff for an upcoming bachelor party.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Shadowhand00 posted:

JaySB - do you still have your booking/vegas site still? Wanted to book some stuff for an upcoming bachelor party.

I do. Feel free to PM me as well. Can help with whatever you need.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good wine or whiskey bar near the strip? Doesn't have to be super fancy or anything. I'll be in Vegas in July so I don't want to outdoors at all lol.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

OGS-Remix posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good wine or whiskey bar near the strip? Doesn't have to be super fancy or anything. I'll be in Vegas in July so I don't want to outdoors at all lol.

Double Helix at Town Square is pretty good. Fancy side, Carbone has the best bourbon selection in the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Back in 2014 the wife and I did grand canyon/vegas in September. In LV we did the following:

Attractions:
O by Cirque
Roos'n'More (gone now)
Valley of Fire
Pinball Museum (a bit, I was wiped out and didn't enjoy it like I think I should)
Outlets on the north end of town
Hoover Dam

Food:
Lotus of Siam
Raku (tasting menu)
DB Brasserie (also gone now, apparently)
Firefly
Eggworks (or egg and I) a couple times

What's next for two people in their early 40s who don't really gamble, like fancy food, and aren't really party people? Absinthe seems to be a winner but past that I'm not sure (we may go back out to Valley of Fire, it was boiling out when we went and now we're going in November for 5 nights).