Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

hiddenriverninja posted:

Everything from B:TAS to JLU is self-contained and mostly great. There are some self-contained movies that are fair to middling, then you get to JL: Gods and Monsters and The Killing Joke where you find out Bruce Timm broke his brain somewhere.

The Killing Joke, I think, made me look back at the animated series / New Batman Adventures and realize that Timm was always a weirdo perv, but he had the creative voices of people like Eric Radomski and Paul Dini tempering him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hell, Batman Beyond even worked that into its backstory. At some point Bruce and Barbra hosed, behind Dick's back.

Just, what the gently caress is your obsession with having a man old enough to be her father gently caress Babs, Timm?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Burkion posted:

Hell, Batman Beyond even worked that into its backstory. At some point Bruce and Barbra hosed, behind Dick's back.

Just, what the gently caress is your obsession with having a man old enough to be her father gently caress Babs, Timm?

Why are you trying to deflect the blame onto Timm when Barbara is the one who keeps loving her Bat-Dad? Does she have no agency or responsibility for her actions?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't get it either. I really don't.

BatGirl was never a romance thing for Bruce in the entire history of the comics as far as I have ever been able to find out. Like not even when the first Bat Girl was introduced to make sure everyone knew that they had a case of the Not Gays, she was Robin's love interest. Bat Woman was Batman's.

It is entirely a thing Timm and Timm alone seems to want and push for.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
To be fair, Batman Beyond didn't portray Bruce and Barbara's relationship as good or healthy. It drove Dick away and eventually led to Barbara being estranged and resentful.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Burkion posted:

I don't get it either. I really don't.

BatGirl was never a romance thing for Bruce in the entire history of the comics as far as I have ever been able to find out. Like not even when the first Bat Girl was introduced to make sure everyone knew that they had a case of the Not Gays, she was Robin's love interest. Bat Woman was Batman's.

It is entirely a thing Timm and Timm alone seems to want and push for.

isn't Batwoman Bruce's cousin?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

hiddenriverninja posted:

Batwoman is a different character from Batgirl.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Batwoman is a different character from Batgirl.

And I think Burkion was talking about Silver Age Batwoman.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

hiddenriverninja posted:

As the two above said, I'm talking about Kathy, who was literally thrown into the comics in the 50s to give Bruce a love interest.

You know one besides Off Brand Lois Lane.

The original Batgirl is also not who you think it is. It's, weird.

Also I don't think Bruce has a cousin, are you sure you're not thinking about Super Girl? Which, whoo, there is some story to how she came about.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Time to hit Wikipedia, then.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Burkion posted:

As the two above said, I'm talking about Kathy, who was literally thrown into the comics in the 50s to give Bruce a love interest.

You know one besides Off Brand Lois Lane.

The original Batgirl is also not who you think it is. It's, weird.

Also I don't think Bruce has a cousin, are you sure you're not thinking about Super Girl? Which, whoo, there is some story to how she came about.

The current Batwoman is his cousin.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Burkion posted:

To be 'fair' I think when he adopts Dick there's like a 13 year difference in their ages, tops. And I don't remember Barbra being younger than Dick by some great degree. Conversely, I really don't want to think about this subject anymore.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Henry Zaga of Teen Wolf and 13 Reasons Why have been cast as Sunspot in the New Mutants movie.

This casting is controversial, though, since although Zaga is Brazilian like Sunspot the comic book character is half-black half-white and just like real life black Brazilians he had a difficult life because of racism.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The current Batwoman is his cousin.

Yeah, isn't her thing that she's about the only gay superhero in the main DC line outside random "Wonder Woman/Poison Ivy/Harley are totally bisexual so here she is making out with a hot chick before resuming her relationship with a man!" crap?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Harley broke up with the joker for good like a few years ago and has officially been with Ivy since, whenever she isn't in prison.

Other lesbian characters include Renee Montoya, Maggie Sawyer, Etta Candy, Barbara Minerva, Natasha Irons, and Traci 13(who is with Irons).

There's probably more, but those are the only ones on my pull list.

The only gay men I know of are Aqualad and The Ray but there's probably more

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 2, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The original Green Lantern was/is gay for the longest, not sure if he still is.

There's been a lot of LGBT characters in DC honestly. And not just the usual pandering bullshit you find which Harley typically falls under.

One can even add Batman to the list thanks to George Clooney and, well, a lot of jokes one could infer from him.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Harley broke up with the joker for good like a few years ago and has officially been with Ivy since, whenever she isn't in prison.

Other lesbian characters include Renee Montoya, Maggie Sawyer, Etta Candy, Barbara Minerva, Natasha Irons, and Traci 13(who is with Irons).

There's probably more, but those are the only ones on my pull list.

The only gay men I know of are Aqualad and The Ray but there's probably more

Batwoman dated Renee and was gonna marry Maggie but DC decreed that superheroes can't have personal lives because Batmanthey think it's more important to be a hero. Or whatever dumb poo poo. Series took a nosedive in quality after that because the original guys just quit. Stupid DC.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Pretty much every single character in the DC Bombshells book is queer to varying degrees.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Burkion posted:

The original Green Lantern was/is gay for the longest, not sure if he still is.

The New 52 Alan Scott is gay. That version of the character is only a few years old. The original might be coming back with Rebirth? I dunno, I've fallen off due to money.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective No. 27 posted:

The New 52 Alan Scott is gay. That version of the character is only a few years old. The original might be coming back with Rebirth? I dunno, I've fallen off due to money.

Yeah. He's gay because his son, who was gay, no longer existed in New 52.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah yeah, forgot about Obsidian.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Wonder Woman was awesome. The first DC movie I've been entertained with in a long time.

Synder is clearly the issue and, while I'm sad about the circumstances, I'm glad he is gone and we can get new approaches on these films.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Wonder Woman was awesome. The first DC movie I've been entertained with in a long time.

Synder is clearly the issue and, while I'm sad about the circumstances, I'm glad he is gone and we can get new approaches on these films.

I went and shortened your post into an image.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Man sucks about his daughter but at least my movies are gonna be good now!!!!

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Ghosthotel posted:

Man sucks about his daughter but at least my movies are gonna be good now!!!!

No one tell 'em that Snyder helped write WW's story! :ssh:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Equeen posted:

#NOTMYSNYDER

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Equeen posted:

I know and he can stay behind a writers desk rather than a camera.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

How would that change anything?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Can't direct movies...?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I know and he can stay behind a writers desk rather than a camera.

Except he's a really good director though?

Like if you admit that he's a good writer, and he's a good director by objective fact, then where is your problem with the guy?

Wouldn't your problem fall more onto the other people that wrote the script?

Or maybe the Executives that allowed it to go forward as it was to begin with?

Maybe with Nolan who creatively steered the movies in the direction they are?

What I'm trying to say is, I don't think you know why you don't like Snyder.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I didn't know there were people who liked Suicide Squad but neither of Man of Steel or Batman v Superman, which is what it would take for Snyder's direction to be the problem.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Snyder isn't "clearly" the issue, since he didn't write or direct Suicide Squad and that was the worst DC film to date.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh the guy who cast Wonder Woman and wrote the story for the movie and assisted Patty in making the film is the problem?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

Snyder isn't "clearly" the issue, since he didn't write or direct Suicide Squad and that was the worst DC film to date.

Look, it's very important that someone is at fault for my not liking something, even if it isn't their fault.

It's really too bad that the internet decided on Snyder rather than Geoff Johns, but what are you going to do? We must sacrifice Zack to Marduk so that Superman can be in color.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jenkins was inspired by Snyder when directing WW and it shows. Parts of it looked like his movie, especially the action scenes and Diana's bedtime story.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Can't direct movies...?

Snyder's films ooze personality and a signature style. Whatever faults you might have with Man of Steel or BvS, neither films were poorly directed imo.

[edit] Josh Gad hinting at something
https://twitter.com/joshgad/status/870441605760655360

teagone fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 2, 2017

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Well we never got PSH, but Josh Gad is acceptable casting ... assuming that's what's being hinted at, instead of voice casting for animated DC.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Clearly Jenkins was just a puppet of Snyder with no agency of her own as director.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

sean10mm posted:

Clearly Jenkins was just a puppet of Snyder with no agency of her own as director.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

sean10mm posted:

As opposed to the other posts which imply that Jenkins' greatest and most notable strength is not being Zack Snyder

• Locked thread