Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Random Stranger posted:

I won a copy of Forsaken and I thought it was going to be pretty good. Then I played it and got sad.

If we're talking Forsaken, though, we have to post the ad:

I was thinking "Which Dream Theater album cover is this?" for way too long before I actually looked up and read your post. Now it's coming back to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
[quote="retro goons"]Descent appreciation[/spoiler]

I mean, of course people in a retro games thread are going to have appreciation for Descent. I sure as gently caress love it. But it's a game that made a handful of technical breakthroughs in PC games and lives in teh shadow of Doom and Quake. poo poo, I only even know about it because the shareware version was packaged with an even more obscure game, Cyberia, and that came with my family's IBM Aptiva in 1995.

But the weirdest takeaway I have from Descent is that I learned to love Type O Negative when I was ten. :v:

Random Stranger posted:

Speaking of Descent, I actually have a level or two in the expansion Descent Levels of the World. That was a crazy editor to use.

Holy poo poo, which ones?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I remember descent, and it's knockoff sibling, forsaken

:colbert:

There was a customer who would come into the computer store I worked at in the late 90s/early 2000s who was absolutely obsessed with Descent and Descent 2.

How obsessed you ask? He brought an ATi card that had video out so he could record himself playing Descent on his VCR. That card was mega bucks during that time.

He would annoy us at least once a week asking when Descent 3 was coming out.

He eventually left us after we upgraded his PC and he told us off because it somehow made Descent harder for him to play.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My forsaken story is that it came packaged with a video card I bought (I think a RIVA-era Nvidia card, maybe the TNT?) and it looked stunning fully accelerated and with colored lighting and all that late-90's jazz.

To this day I remember how good it looked, but not what it was like to actually play.

I also own it on the 64 and haven't played it. I think my glasses for forsaken are entirely rose colored.

Also can we talk about how astoundingly good early nvidia cards were? I had a Riva128 and that thing changed my life. It was constantly updated by nvidia and handled everything I threw at it for years.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Star Man posted:

Holy poo poo, which ones?

It's been twenty years so I'm having a hard time remembering the names. They weren't multiplayer focused, though.

Oh, and there's a terrible hallway in one of them because I was completely new to the concept of level design and had a big chunk of the map I had to fill in so I just made it bounce up and down.

Another thing, this being 1995, I had to figure out how to encode my map files in a way that they could be pasted into e-mails as text. IIRC, when that didn't work, I was pointed to an upload folder on Interplay's FTP server...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 2, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Any love for the "Playstation Descent" [i]Treasures of the Deep[i]? One of my first PS1 games and kind of spooky in spots.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

al-azad posted:

Any love for the "Playstation Descent" [i]Treasures of the Deep[i]? One of my first PS1 games and kind of spooky in spots.

I own a hardcopy of it and I do have fond love for it. Its a weird game but its really cool for what it is, pretty unique, and I remember playing it when the PSX first came out, my friend had it on a demo disc.

Treasures of the Deep, Jet Moto, Armored Core and Croc are like my most nostalgic PS1 games.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
I had that same demo disc. Played it to death. Started a love for From Soft and Armored Core that continue to this day. The first level of Treasures of the Deep scared me half to death an embarrassing number of times. I'm too ashamed to try the full game now.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That loving Bermuda Triangle level.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

univbee posted:

ymmv but it may be possible to edit the ini file to force it to recognized win7 as an ok os for the driver. you may get blue screens out the rear end, but then again it may work.

So an update - I tried rewriting the ini and got it to give me the 'this is not WHQL signed', ticked it off, restarted but the machine just BSOD's as soon as the stick gets plugged in. :( I've got a JPAC I pulled from a lovely cab I got for free, so I'm going to chop some pine board I have and start making my own stick instead.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I drove 3 hours out of my way to go to a thrift store that advertised a giant donation of retro games.
A couple of the big things I wanted were gone and prices weren't great but I walked away with chameleon twist, yo noid, mafat conspiracy and swords and serpents.

Though with gas and tolls I probably ended paying more than it would have cost to eBay them

:doh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
man now I'm getting a hankering for Armored Core.

But which to play? Best was definitely the AC2-AC3 era, AC4 onwards was poo poo, and AC1 was fun but rudimentary.

AC2 another age? Nine breaker? Last Raven?

I spent way more time on 1 and 2 than 3 or 4 so I should probably play more of the 3 series...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Don't play Ninebreaker, it loving sucks. The rest of the 3 series is pretty good.

Silent Line has a first person mode that's neat and Nexus has a second disc with remixed missions from the 1 series which is real cool.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So, would any of these fix my broken Dreamcast laser/disc spinner?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Dreamc...hEAAOSwv9hW5RCE

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPU3200-Optical-Sensor-Laser-Lens-16-pin-For-Sega-Dreamcast-/292052971294?hash=item43ffb6af1e:g:v5sAAOSwfVpYwm8y

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Dreamcast-Laser-Optical-Lens-Genuine-/182600618147?hash=item2a83d850a3:g:yKYAAOSwB-1Y1oAN

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

I was thinking "Which Dream Theater album cover is this?" for way too long before I actually looked up and read your post. Now it's coming back to me.
Hahah no kidding, it really does look like a 90s DT cover. They don't make 'em like they used to. I'm talking about game ads and Dream Theater albums here

Reminds me: There's a magazine ad for Resident Evil 2 on the N64 that I vividly remember but I've never been able to find any trace of it online. Two page spread, bright sunny blue sky over a field of sunflowers, text reading "the sun has got his hat on, hip hip hip hooray, the sun has got his hat on, Resident Evil 2 is coming out on the Nintendo 64 today". No game logo, no RE character art, nothing. Just a field of sunflowers. I can't even remember what magazine it was in. No clue why but it's always stuck with me.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So I made a weird discovery last night. So I am in the process of moving and when putting my systems up I was giving them all a good dusting/clean with some alcohol in a spray bottle.

Well my SD2SNES that I got from Stone Age Gamer all of the sudden was covering my hand and the paper towels in grey paint... Yup they just paint their carts with what seems to be cheap spray paint due to how it comes off. So just a PSA to anyone else with their stuff I guess just use water to clean them if you need too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So what color was the plastic underneath?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So what color was the plastic underneath?

Looks too be a white. Seems like a odd thing to cheap out on especially since they charge a premium for those cases. I mean I would fully understand if I got some crazy off the shelf color then obviously it would have to be painted, but bog standard grey?

I guess this just gives me a excuse to go make a better shell out of a junk SFC cart.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Djarum posted:

I guess this just gives me a excuse to go make a better shell out of a junk SFC cart.

That's what I did and it worked out great. My SD2SNES came in a trashy translucent red cartridge which stuck out like a sore thumb. There are some plastic tabs that you have to remove near the top where the SD card would go and my only recommendation is to dremel those out and not side-cut; The side cutters did the job but the plastic on top seems flimsy so it was kind of deformed by the cutters in my initial try. Was left with some unsightly white stress marks in the plastic. I managed to do a good job on a second donor cart with an exacto knife, box cutters, and a small file, but if I have to do it again I'll also invest in a dremel. My second attempt was good, not great, but for as long as I look at it I doubt I'll ever really give any minor imperfections a second thought.

And that 8bitguy video about creating labels was what I needed to push me over the edge to create a nice label for it. I still can't find a good template for SFC labels so I guess I'll have to go make my own.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I haven't touched my retro consoles for ages. I just don't have the time or "motivation". Sometimes it just feels too much like a chore to get invested in a game.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Caitlin posted:

on the other hand, playing anything on the N64 controller is loving miserable so yeah :toot:

Sin and Punishment is an exception. It's OK with a Wii classic pad and whatnot, but it makes you realize how perfectly Treasure fit that thing to a Nintendo 64 controller.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I was thinking about Forsaken and it occurred to me, is Acclaim the LJN of the late 90's? They did have a few good games they published but they were mainly licenses of good games from Japan (and they often botched the ports when they made them). When I look at their history and think Shadowman might be the best original game they did, that's not a good history as a publisher...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Shadowman, Turok and Forsaken are a hundred times better than anything LJN put out.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

LJN was just one of Acclaim's publishing divisions for several years anyway, although most of their "classic" NES titles were released before Acclaim bought the company.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm going to say Ocean is a worse publisher. I own several Acclaim published games I like, can't think of a single Ocean game.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

al-azad posted:

I'm going to say Ocean is a worse publisher. I own several Acclaim published games I like, can't think of a single Ocean game.

Pretty sure they handled the GB Robocop game, which is worth it for the title screen music alone.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I didn't read the descriptions, but judging by the pictures, the first and the last replace the entire assembly. You'd probably just need a laser, but replacing the whole assembly is way easier.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Ocean handled all the Robocop games and made an absolute fuckton of money out of them, more so than usual because they had managed to get the license for practically nothing when the film was only at script stage.

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well
That was one of Ocean's best tricks in the 80s, snapping up licensing rights for potential blockbusters as early in the movie making process as possible, and saving a ton of money doing so.

Of course, it only really works if you've got vaguely psychic powers and are thus able to predict which as yet unproduced movie scripts will become blockbusters, and which will become, well, Hudson Hawk.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeah counterpoint Ocean cheaped out on their licensed games as a result. Virgin was basically the better Ocean, fostered good studios like Westwood and Shiny, and bothered to pay for the drat music to their licensed games because holy hell how are there like 12 Terminator games and only one has the drat song?

But okay, yes, it did result in loving amazing music at times.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Djarum posted:

So I made a weird discovery last night. So I am in the process of moving and when putting my systems up I was giving them all a good dusting/clean with some alcohol in a spray bottle.

Well my SD2SNES that I got from Stone Age Gamer all of the sudden was covering my hand and the paper towels in grey paint... Yup they just paint their carts with what seems to be cheap spray paint due to how it comes off. So just a PSA to anyone else with their stuff I guess just use water to clean them if you need too.

That sounds terrible, I'll have to stop recommending that site for complete flash carts. Making your own SD2SNES shell is more fun anyway (and you don't have to pay extra for LIGHT TUBEZ):

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

al-azad posted:

But okay, yes, it did result in loving amazing music at times.

My goodness does that sound early 90s as gently caress.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Star Man posted:

So was Descent, but no one remembers that one because it's sandwiched between Wolfenstein, Doom, and Quake.

I remember Descent. :( And Descent 2.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Ocean Jurassic Park games on SNES and NES were good :colbert:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

My goodness does that sound early 90s as gently caress.

The flute flourishes remind me of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've owned and beaten Jurassic Park on the SNES. It's definitely better than the attention it's usually afforded, but I do wish you could save.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nate RFB posted:

I've owned and beaten Jurassic Park on the SNES. It's definitely better than the attention it's usually afforded, but I do wish you could save.

To this day the NES Jurassic Park is the only game I've ever owned* that I have never beaten. I remember it getting insanely hard once the dimetrodons start coming out in level 4.

* That is, before the age of digital distribution when my library became bloated for pennies. It used to be that and Chasm: The Rift but I actually went back and played through that one last month. That game was... weird.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Monitor Burn posted:

That sounds terrible, I'll have to stop recommending that site for complete flash carts. Making your own SD2SNES shell is more fun anyway (and you don't have to pay extra for LIGHT TUBEZ):

Well normally I do but I didn't have the space and tools to do any sort of mod work at all in my old apartment and I had a ton of credit so I just wanted it done.

I will say the light pipes they use is really well done, just not worth it for the shortcuts they did otherwise.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Jurassic Park SNES had great music, but the thing that ruins it are the awkward fps segments and having lives.

A straight up Metroid II type deal with the premise of collecting eggs instead of hunting metroids would have been neat.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My favorite thing about JP SNES was how easy it was to load up on so many rockets and exploding bolas by entering/exiting this one room in the visitor's center that you could pretty easily set yourself to have infinite ammo, because even if you were "full" on a given weapon as long as you never picked up a different weapon ammo pickups would still add to your total. Then you spend the rest of the game one hit killing everything except the Rex and Triceratops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Phantasium posted:

Jurassic Park SNES had great music, but the thing that ruins it are the awkward fps segments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoxIFOoEBn0

• Locked thread