Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006
Ground out a couple levels last night on Orc Hill and HATE thr new loot system. So, I check one of the boxes next to the loot and if I want it I click the hand symbol that pops up before anyone else can? Am I doing it right? What happens when actual, non-vendor loot drops? Is there no way to roll any more? Whoever is the fastest clicker gets it? Wtf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Are the Temple of Sol Ro armor quests worth doing? Or is it better to just save up plat and but alternatives?

Also, anyone camping Shin Lord, or planning to? I would love to grab a rotting Ghoulbane.

Looking for options for cheap, magic shields. Anything other than SBS?

Lvl 16 here, gonna play most of the day tomorrow. Probably with an xp pot.

Stigmas
Sep 6, 2010

Acres of Quakers posted:

Ground out a couple levels last night on Orc Hill and HATE thr new loot system. So, I check one of the boxes next to the loot and if I want it I click the hand symbol that pops up before anyone else can? Am I doing it right? What happens when actual, non-vendor loot drops? Is there no way to roll any more? Whoever is the fastest clicker gets it? Wtf?

Whoever was Master looter was putting everything on free grab. There is an ask/roll option.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

New loot system was weird to me at first but once you understand it, it kinda owns. Save a TON of time not having to click all the bodies. You just need to have a master looter, set everything to "always roll", and make sure he has coin split on.

You can google a guide for the advanced loot system for a better explanation than I can give here.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
It's tedious setting it up but infinitely less annoying after that. Unless you're one of those poor saps that crashes from using it.

As said, just set everything to auto ask/roll in groups and then I usually just hit greed on everything besides loot I actually need. Some jerks like to need on gems though so be careful with that.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I spent two days not getting a single drop because my UI didn't recognize the advanced loot window.

Hooray for being level 23 with mostly cloth gear and no money. At least I'm a cleric so it doesn't matter that much.

Switched to my main man Zliz's UI and I'm good to go now.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Level 49 and seriously starting to question my life choices. At least PoH soon will be fun!

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Gray Matter posted:

Level 49 and seriously starting to question my life choices. At least PoH soon will be fun!

drat what class are you and did you have xp pots? was that nonstop grinding all weekend??

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

I'm Woot the warrior, hit 50 yesterday morning about 20 minutes before the bonus exp ended. I pretty much grinded all week and had 8 exp pots over the course of that time.

Kind of regretting rushing it though cause now I don't have poo poo to do unless I bail on my guild for Faceless Empire or something.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Gray Matter posted:

I'm Woot the warrior, hit 50 yesterday morning about 20 minutes before the bonus exp ended. I pretty much grinded all week and had 8 exp pots over the course of that time.

Kind of regretting rushing it though cause now I don't have poo poo to do unless I bail on my guild for Faceless Empire or something.

Grats! I'm currently 37 on my paladin. I'm actually having a ton of fun tanking (never played an actual tank before), spot healing, etc etc. In general, I'm having a ton of fun on the server. Only run into like 4 idiots/assholes - Actually 3, cuz he was 2 boxing clr/enc. He was struggling really hard and instead of asking us to slow down or whatever, he just threw a bitch-fit.

I am kinda at a loss for some gear slots. Mainly ears and face. I guess JC made stuff is the best option?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

FranktheBank posted:

Grats! I'm currently 37 on my paladin. I'm actually having a ton of fun tanking (never played an actual tank before), spot healing, etc etc. In general, I'm having a ton of fun on the server. Only run into like 4 idiots/assholes - Actually 3, cuz he was 2 boxing clr/enc. He was struggling really hard and instead of asking us to slow down or whatever, he just threw a bitch-fit.

I am kinda at a loss for some gear slots. Mainly ears and face. I guess JC made stuff is the best option?

Try the P99 guides such as this:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Category:Paladin_Equipment

And the best stuff:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Pre_Planar_Gear#Paladin

But as the server is so new, you'll be paying out the nose for BiS stuff. It wouldn't surprise me if insane people would pay multiple Kronos for a Diamondine Earring or some poo poo.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
https://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Pre_Planar_Gear

I used the p1999 wiki for gearing ideas mostly. Casters might be slightly different with focus effects and I'm not sure if they ever fixed hero bracers but it's usually a good starting point.

Edit : f, b but yeah don't pay poo poo for items. You have plenty of time to camp mobs for loot, the only thing you might have to end up paying out the nose for is GEBs if you're some poor sap that wants them because efreeti will be a shitfest for months. Also runnyeye I guess but runnyeye stuff also tanked pretty fast on Phinny. Paid like 200p for blackened alloy bastard sword after three weeks?

Stanos fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 31, 2017

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Y'all loving crazy. I'm level 13 and I felt like I poopsocked at least a couple of days.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

Pilsner posted:

Try the P99 guides such as this:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Category:Paladin_Equipment

And the best stuff:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Pre_Planar_Gear#Paladin

But as the server is so new, you'll be paying out the nose for BiS stuff. It wouldn't surprise me if insane people would pay multiple Kronos for a Diamondine Earring or some poo poo.

Yeah, that's what I've been referencing. Just having to sort through the kurnark and out or era nonsense.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

FranktheBank posted:

I have taskmaster earrings (2ac) from taskmaster in Crushbone, and a couple Jagged Bands from unrest. Once the 5ac/55hp jewelcrafted rings come down to non-retarded prices, I will pick those up.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

wazu posted:

Thanks. Played a lot 17 years ago but a bit rusty. So do we actually have a guild yet or is it still just chat?

Seconding this question. I'm a casual player but I'd like to group up with fellow fedora aficionados when I'm on. If there isn't a guild yet, one of you guys should create one.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
I joined a guild named Vigilant Blade (or some other adjective that starts with a V I forget), they're a cool group of dudes, good players and have a Discord set up. Don't just invite randoms so that helps with filtering out bad players. Anyone want an invite? I'm Steeb in game.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

WTF? Game is down? THAT STILL HAPPENS?!?!

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Dumb question. I have never played a caster until now (on Agnarr) and do not understand the Research skill. How do I even get started? I tried doing this quest, but the NPC isn't there: https://wiki.project1999.com/Evil_Research

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
It uses the new spell research system. Don't know much about it past that, sorry. Always just sent materials to anyone doing it in guild since I never played an int caster on a progression server.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I picked a terrible time to level a character on Phinigel. The post-PC mid/late 20s are a deadzone.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I picked a terrible time to level a character on Phinigel. The post-PC mid/late 20s are a deadzone.

Come back in a month and people will be levelling new alts. It happened on phinny too although there was less rushing to 50 tbh.

A big reason why you aren't seeing a lot of people in the low zones is due to krono, raids, GoD soon and people just keeping up with the main crowd. There was also a bonus exp 4 day thing which was dumb.

Hitting 50 and banking krono is what a lot of people from phinny are doing. I'd say a good 40 or 50 people from my guild bum rushed to 50 to bank as much cheap krono as possible and help out faceless.The non lvl 50 krono farmers are just getting pp for key items like fbss, GEBs etc. It will be fine in a month. Will be curious to see agnarr population once GoD releases on phinny.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I hate Krono so much.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

I think a lot of people, including myself, are on Agnarr because they think GoD onward is when EQ went down the shitter.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Gray Matter posted:

I think a lot of people, including myself, are on Agnarr because they think GoD onward is when EQ went down the shitter.

Which is really too bad, because they fixed 75% of the problems with GoD over the last few years, and the new AoC instancing will fix another 10-15%. About the only 'unfixed' problem that remains is that you need at least 7 people, and all 7 of them have to be able to solo a Cursecaller, in order to go back and do Inktu`Ta for BiC augs. If you haven't tried Gates of Discord since 2004, you *may* be surprised at how accessible it has become now.

Can't do anything about the "SPACE ALIENS!" or "UNPRONOUNCEABLE NAMES!" problems that people seem to have, but GoD always was and always will be one of my favorite expansions along with TBS and Underfoot.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I figure it will get better. I think Phinny is long term the best bet for a progression server. Just a bad combination of inherently doldrum levels plus temporarily depressed population.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Edit: I am a dumbass who should have read the OP. Thanks!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Am I the only one who enjoys the LDON raids?

Around an hour (or less) each, they each have unique mechanics, and you get a crap ton of mostly-useful augs at the end.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

xZAOx posted:

Am I the only one who enjoys the LDON raids?

Around an hour (or less) each, they each have unique mechanics, and you get a crap ton of mostly-useful augs at the end.

They were loving awful when they first came out, so a lot of people were soured on them, plus the gear is sub-par and the augs are decent but overall pretty average, unlike later expansion augs that are useful for way longer.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

MF_James posted:

They were loving awful when they first came out, so a lot of people were soured on them, plus the gear is sub-par and the augs are decent but overall pretty average, unlike later expansion augs that are useful for way longer.

The AC and the Specialization augs last awhile (the spec alter and spec evoc aug last until Call of the Forsaken), the rest don't at all.

We're running all 7 of the type 8 aug raids on one night, and its a 5 hour slog to get them all done. Just ran a poll about them though, and most people in EoE want them all done on one night instead of splitting them up so they can do summer-y things or agnarr.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
playing now as Wicket, level 4 wood elf rogue, if anyone wants to do CB later im in the chat channel

e: on Agnarr if that wasn't clear

m3talh3ad
Jan 28, 2005
I've got some DB Cash to burn.

Is there a way to turn DB Cash into Krono by buying up stuff from the DB store to trade Krono?

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

m3talh3ad posted:

Is there a way to turn DB Cash into Krono by buying up stuff from the DB store to trade Krono?

The only thing I can think of is to buy shared xp potions and sell spots in your group for plat and then use the plat to buy Krono. This would work best on progression server I'd think.

Maybe someone else has a better idea.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
That's a possibility or you could gamble on card packs. They're guaranteed to have rares now but the pool is deep and you could also get a garbage potion pack. But a good illusion or petamorph would give you easy money.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
make sure its tradeable before you try something like that

but lol that reminds me of when kronos first came out and you could buy them with daybreak cash

that was right around the time they had some promotion of like triple daybreak cash too

lmao

somebody probably has 100 years worth of krono

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

m3talh3ad posted:

You can also use it to boost up a Silver/Free account. You can buy increased AA cap, spell rank 2, character slots, merc slots, etc.

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

I never really played EQ but wanted to check it out casually. I'm confused though, what server/'s are goons on? Do most play on the progression servers? Phinigel is the only one I know anything about.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Tough choice.

Agnarr

Started a few weeks ago so popular. People should mostly be at 50 now so new alts are being made so lots of groups around. You'll get to experience the game from when it all started in 1999 (the good and the bad). It has a faster exp gain then phinny.

The bad side (or good depending on how you view it) of the server is that the sever stops giving new content in a few expansion so in like a year, that's it and the server will last till it mothballs (it will). It's a playground for farming and griefing for some phinny players till new expansion(s) release on their server. The only raiding guild is a poo poo show of drama and egos from wha my guild says (true or false I dunno). That's not to say other raiding guilds will form as I'm sure they will eventually.

Phingel

Nearly time for another expansion and a new class so lots of new alts will be lvling and power lvling. People usually let you join if they have space. No expansion lock. Lots of raiding guild to chose from. Very healthy population and doesn't show any sign of dropping. I'd say most people who left phinny to play in agnarr are just waiting for GoD.

Some stuff can be expensive. Harder to level from 1 but new class soon so more low levels playing. 3 months between expansion is good and bad depending on play style. Some people like it at 3, some would rather it was 6. Slower exp than agnarr but increase a bit with the next expansion.

Other servers

Don't bother

Not sure which server to recommend really. Agnarr for casual levelling but then if you like the game a lot, you'll rather be on phinny. I don't care what anyone says, agnarr will be dead in 15 months. You could try agnarr and then hope you can server transfer to phinny later down the line. Don't see why they wouldn't let you since every character is behind the power curve.

tl;dr Agnarr will be a lot more fun for you...right now. Phinny will be a lot more fun for you later.

Tai fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 8, 2017

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
It's almost worth it to level on Agnaar and hope for a transfer off to Phinny later on down the line. The exp is that bad there. You will have more fun leveling on Agnaar than you will Phinny. Berserkers won't bring that much new poo poo to the table and what it does will just be a bunch of people pulling the entirety of lower guk for their exclusive twinkzerker group.

If you want groups on Agnaar, play a mage or enchanter. If you're not familiar with the game, play a mage and enjoy almost instant group invites. If you want to try healing, play a cleric. You will hardly ever want for groups on those two. Just remember that people pretty much expect everyone playing right now to know 110% there is to know about the game so you're going to have to tell people that you're new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

Thanks Tai, I didn't even realize a new server just launched. That explains a lot of the EQ buzz I've been seeing.

Givin posted:

It's almost worth it to level on Agnaar and hope for a transfer off to Phinny later on down the line. The exp is that bad there. You will have more fun leveling on Agnaar than you will Phinny. Berserkers won't bring that much new poo poo to the table and what it does will just be a bunch of people pulling the entirety of lower guk for their exclusive twinkzerker group.

If you want groups on Agnaar, play a mage or enchanter. If you're not familiar with the game, play a mage and enjoy almost instant group invites. If you want to try healing, play a cleric. You will hardly ever want for groups on those two. Just remember that people pretty much expect everyone playing right now to know 110% there is to know about the game so you're going to have to tell people that you're new.

I wanted to try Enchanter but never really played EQ. I did play EQ2 and have a ton of MMO experience, old and new. EQ is kind of it's own beast though, do you think it would be too difficult to get the hang of?