Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

MonsterEnvy posted:

As this is not a fight over a huge deal unlike their previous campaigns decided by players, it's more likely for them to actually let events fall as they may.

Hahahahaha yeah right

The bigmarines are going to come out of nowhere and suddenly save everything at the last second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

goose willis posted:

Hahahahaha yeah right

The bigmarines are going to come out of nowhere and suddenly save everything at the last second

I dunno, I'm inclined to agree with Envy--there's nothing real at stake, so a Chaos win is possible. That said, Space Marine players outnumber Chaos like 5:1 so they'll probably win with sheer numbers

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Safety Factor posted:

Somewhere, a ham is weeping as he rips the powerfists off of his lovingly painted army and replaces them with bare plastic arms holding thunder hammers.

Remember when the switched the stats of spinefists and fleshborers for no reason? Good times.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

spacegoat posted:

Remember when the switched the stats of spinefists and fleshborers for no reason? Good times.
It was the points, not the stats, and I did just fine. All of my termagants have fleshborers. :smug:

Speaking of Tyranids, I put together a simple spreadsheet so I could have a better idea of the actual costs of the models. There is some ridiculous bullshit here. Like having to tally up a Hive Crone's five pieces of wargear when 3/5 are unique to itself. Or a Haruspex who has three unique items, but only one, its tongue, actually costs points. The rest are baked in and cost 0. It's a completely inconsistent system and it's infuriating. There's no easy way to say "switch out a pair of monstrous scything talons for a..." because some weapon options are actually cheaper than the standard equipment on some models.

I also like how strangle webs went from being lovely S2 templates no one cared about to being lovely S2 guns with d3 shots that don't auto-hit like other former template weapons.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheChirurgeon posted:

I dunno, I'm inclined to agree with Envy--there's nothing real at stake, so a Chaos win is possible. That said, Space Marine players outnumber Chaos like 5:1 so they'll probably win with sheer numbers

Xenos will probably be involved in some way too.

It would be funny if something like the Genestealer Cults won.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Safety Factor posted:

[...]I put together a simple spreadsheet so I could have a better idea of the actual costs of the models. There is some ridiculous bullshit here. Like having to tally up a Hive Crone's five pieces of wargear when 3/5 are unique to itself. Or a Haruspex who has three unique items, but only one, its tongue, actually costs points. The rest are baked in and cost 0. It's a completely inconsistent system and it's infuriating.

GW.txt

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015
I'm going to be very disappointed if the Imperium loses in the Fires of Cyraxus. I'm sick of the Tau seemingly winning almost every engagement they have with the Imperium, and the Tau winning against poo poo like ordinatus and an actual titan legion is stretching believability somewhat, imo.

Let Taros be their victory book. I think a story about the Tau overreaching and getting smacked down would be much more interesting for a second go.

Aesaar fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 2, 2017

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Speaking of, does anyone have an idea about which to take between Harpy and Hive Crone? Is it really just as simple as "take the tentaclids one vs. vehicles and the other against meat enemies?" I'm going to enjoy slamming an FMC into enemy lines turn 1 to eat mans screaming either way :getin:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

So do we have Alpha Legion rules yet or what

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

MonsterEnvy posted:

Xenos will probably be involved in some way too.

It would be funny if something like the Genestealer Cults won.

Da green kroosade

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aesaar posted:

I'm going to be very disappointed if the Imperium loses in the Fires of Cyraxus. I'm sick of the Tau seemingly winning almost every engagement they have with the Imperium, and the Tau winning against poo poo like ordinatus and an actual titan legion is stretching believability somewhat, imo.

Let Taros be their victory book. I think a story about the Tau overreaching and getting smacked down would be much more interesting for a second go.

I agree with this. Having another Tau victory would just be lame. Even when they got their pope merc'd by an assassin they still soundly beat the Imperium. Also, Tau are trash and belong in a landfill.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Hustlin Floh posted:

Also, Tau are trash and belong in a landfill.

:yeah:

The only other faction besides genestealers that I never felt "belonged" in the game were the Tau

If anything they feel like they'd be a faction in some sort of near-future mecha game or something, they don't even fit into 40k in the slightest

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Tau have cool models unlike genestealers but they seriously feel like they'd fit into Mantic's Warpath game or something like Infinity and visually they have absolutely nothing in common with the rest of the 40k range

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I am 100% in favor of anything that results in more space-weeaboo death. Worst writing of all the 40k factions imo.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Sorry chuds, Tau own

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Whenever I see Tau it's like looking at another company's product range being awkwardly fit into the 40k canon with only the loosest of justifications for their existence

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

goose willis posted:

So do we have Alpha Legion rules yet or what

Absolutely friend! Why, there is a whole amazing game focused on giving the Legions fun and thematic special rules. :tipshat:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
It is admittedly hard to blame GW for wanting a slice of that weeb money. They're definitely another sector of the nerd economy that will spend way to much money on their hobby

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have never met a Tau player who didn't talk like he was verbally posting on 4chan.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheChirurgeon posted:

Sorry chuds, Tau own

Okay I would be okay if they were all TronTau.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

That looks cool as gently caress and I will never deny that Tau don't look cool

My problem is that Tau don't look 40k

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Tau also have incredibly bad fluff which I regard as even worse than the new non-silent Necrons

However the Necrons look amazing and have always looked like they belong in 40k so I give them a very easy pass because you can still pretend they're just the old Necrons and ignore the "Tomb Kings in Space" aspect

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I dunno if I'd say they don't look 40k. The original tau model range reminded me of Eldar. Fire warriors and devilfish and all isn't that far off from Eldar looks.

Modern day stormsurge and riptide tau doesn't look 40k.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
look at these bad, wrong opinions

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

look at these bad, wrong opinions

Burn this thread down

along with the imperium

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Death to the false moderator

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

goose willis posted:

:yeah:

The only other faction besides genestealers that I never felt "belonged" in the game were the Tau

If anything they feel like they'd be a faction in some sort of near-future mecha game or something, they don't even fit into 40k in the slightest

The Genestealers (Particularly them) and Tau fit in fine. The Tau looks wise are a bit like Eldar but focused on being more practical. While the Genestealers are infiltrator aliens something that fits in quite well.

Honestly despite people saying the Tau are based on anime, I don't see it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Genestealers (Particularly them) and Tau fit in fine. The Tau looks wise are a bit like Eldar but focused on being more practical. While the Genestealers are infiltrator aliens something that fits in quite well.

it literally begins and ends with 'robots = anime'. They're a race of highly militant aliens who subjugate others to fit into their rigid caste system in the name of their own good. They're totally 40k

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

sexpig by night posted:

it literally begins and ends with 'robots = anime'. They're a race of highly militant aliens who subjugate others to fit into their rigid caste system in the name of their own good. They're totally 40k

Yeah it's not like other factions don't have Robots as well. Honestly I would say Eldar are far more fitting of the stereo type they actually use melee weapons and such with their huge robots.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

Sorry chuds, Tau own

Goddamn this owns

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

MonsterEnvy posted:

pretty sure ive seen them with katanas

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Little heads, biiiig guns.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goose willis posted:

That looks cool as gently caress and I will never deny that Tau don't look cool

How are they not 40K but the Eldar are?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

goose willis posted:

That's cool but we both know the Ultramarines are going to win

Anybody ever heard of these planets before? If they're made up just for this, then the bad guys actually stand a chance of winning.

If it was Ultramar then they'd win no contest.

MonsterEnvy posted:

As this is not a fight over a huge deal unlike their previous campaigns decided by players, it's more likely for them to actually let events fall as they may.

Exactly

TheChirurgeon posted:

Sorry chuds, Tau own

TRONau is amazing

goose willis posted:

Da fuq?

Sure they do.

Fire Warriors and Devilfish and everything are pretty classic sci-fi. Tau are the little grey men of 40k.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 2, 2017

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Nifara posted:

Dark Eldar actually come out ahead because Dark Lances don't count as heavy when mounted on a vehicle!

Nice avatar, Edwina.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Speaking of, does anyone have an idea about which to take between Harpy and Hive Crone? Is it really just as simple as "take the tentaclids one vs. vehicles and the other against meat enemies?" I'm going to enjoy slamming an FMC into enemy lines turn 1 to eat mans screaming either way :getin:

It's probably gonna take me a few games to figure stuff like this out. I do know that carnifexes and tyrants without melee weapons are dumb as hell since they have no AP. So I am cutting limbs off and painting scything talons.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I don't know if anyone else came up with this yet, so feel free to call me a moron if so, but with the 8th edition rules it seems like you could build a stupidly potent Boyz mob army which would be pretty much guaranteed to assault on turn 1 and do insane damage.

4x 30 boyz = 720 pts
3x weirdboyz = 186 pts
1x Ghazghkull = 215 pts
That's 1151 points.

All the weirdboyz take Da Jump.

Set up as far from the enemy as possible with the weirdboyz and Ghaz clustered in the middle of the boyz units.

Cast Da Jump on 2 boyz units and Ghaz. It can't fail with that many models close to the weirdboyz. You're likely to get perils, but they have 4 wounds each so they won't be killed by it.

Try keep the boyz units within 6" of ghaz.

60 boyz and ghaz are now 9" away from enemy units. If they are within 6" of ghaz they can advance. They also get to re-roll charge rolls. When they get their charge off (which they probably will) you'll get 5 attacks per boy. Obviously you won't get all of the models within 1" in the first turn, but if you manage it with one unit that unit gets 151 attacks, hitting on 3+ (100.6 hits), wounding marines on 4+ (50 wounds). With 3+ saves that's 17 dead marines in the first charge, from one of the two units, not counting Ghaz. Next turn, Da Jump in 2 more units of 30 boyz.

Assuming you somehow maneuvered so each boyz unit had at least 1 model within 6" of ghaz that's a total of 604 attacks just from the boyz.

You could also add more weirdboyz or more units of boyz to taste.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If Weirdboyz stuff is Psychic, then you can't actually cast (or even attempt to cast) a single spell more than once across your entire army per phase.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Was looking at the Primaris Lieutenant and I find the Company Heroes rule interesting.

I think Deffdreads have the same rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I don't know if anyone else came up with this yet, so feel free to call me a moron if so, but with the 8th edition rules it seems like you could build a stupidly potent Boyz mob army which would be pretty much guaranteed to assault on turn 1 and do insane damage.

4x 30 boyz = 720 pts
3x weirdboyz = 186 pts
1x Ghazghkull = 215 pts
That's 1151 points.

All the weirdboyz take Da Jump.

Set up as far from the enemy as possible with the weirdboyz and Ghaz clustered in the middle of the boyz units.

Cast Da Jump on 2 boyz units and Ghaz. It can't fail with that many models close to the weirdboyz. You're likely to get perils, but they have 4 wounds each so they won't be killed by it.

Try keep the boyz units within 6" of ghaz.

60 boyz and ghaz are now 9" away from enemy units. If they are within 6" of ghaz they can advance. They also get to re-roll charge rolls. When they get their charge off (which they probably will) you'll get 5 attacks per boy. Obviously you won't get all of the models within 1" in the first turn, but if you manage it with one unit that unit gets 151 attacks, hitting on 3+ (100.6 hits), wounding marines on 4+ (50 wounds). With 3+ saves that's 17 dead marines in the first charge, from one of the two units, not counting Ghaz. Next turn, Da Jump in 2 more units of 30 boyz.

Assuming you somehow maneuvered so each boyz unit had at least 1 model within 6" of ghaz that's a total of 604 attacks just from the boyz.

You could also add more weirdboyz or more units of boyz to taste.

You can only attempt da jump once per turn so sadly yes you are.

• Locked thread