Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jaxyon posted:

Check out the map I posted. LOL if you think a good 1br at under $2k is bad when talking to people in Cali

Cali is one of the few exceptions, of course.

I should just get a house. It's cheaper than renting. Problem is, I live alone...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

I really hope none of you ever have to live in Boston. Good 1brs run ~$1900 to start depending on the area.

Ha my mortgage is gonna be that much for 3100 sq ft.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Jaxyon posted:

those numbers are medians btw, not upper limits

It's pretty much the same as Boston proper, only spread over a much smaller area. The floor for "Good" is probably about 1900, and the average is probably 2,500 or 2,300-ish. Upper limits in the high 3s for 'regular' condos normal folks would be expected to live in. And we don't get LA weather as a bonus. It's rough all over if you want to live anywhere that has any vague upside to living there.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Jaxyon posted:

I've lurked here fora bit but mainly this forum and DIY stuff.

I didn't realize this forum had a lot of racism and homophobia happening, that's why I liked it

It's not very prevalent anymore. That poo poo normally gets called out pretty quick on most forums. Back in '05 when I started it was a wild west.

I took longer than most to come around to not being a piece of poo poo.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Iron Lung posted:

So it looks like the CA Senate passed the single payer bill. Does the CA house have to approve it now? When should I move there?

Yeah, it goes to the Assembly, they're supposed to create a funding plan, and then it goes back to the Senate, where it needs 2/3 majority, because it involves taxation and we did a dumb thing by requiring that 2/3 majority years ago. So we'll see if it survives. It may not. But it's a good symbolic move, in the meantime.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Maddow dead.

Still out sick. I am worried for my celebrity crush.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arrgytehpirate posted:

It's not very prevalent anymore. That poo poo normally gets called out pretty quick on most forums. Back in '05 when I started it was a wild west.

I took longer than most to come around to not being a piece of poo poo.

It's experiencing a resurgence on GBS. TFR isn't much better.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Jaxyon posted:

I've lurked here fora bit but mainly this forum and DIY stuff.

I didn't realize this forum had a lot of racism and homophobia happening, that's why I liked it

Many moons ago there was a lot more "ironic" bigotry on SA. It was mostly over-the-top ridiculous or edgelord comedy though, not the frothing hatred that's seen from conservatives online these days.

I think the combination of becoming intolerant of using slurs, even ironically, combined with the fact that SA user base is literally maturing has phased out (most/a lot of) the assholery. At least in D&D.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/870445001125355522

Donny Dons tweeted this. If you can figure it out, great! You'd be the first!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Withdrawal from the Paris Accord seems to really not matter at all.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Majorian posted:

Yeah, it goes to the Assembly, they're supposed to create a funding plan, and then it goes back to the Senate, where it needs 2/3 majority, because it involves taxation and we did a dumb thing by requiring that 2/3 majority years ago. So we'll see if it survives. It may not. But it's a good symbolic move, in the meantime.

I'll start convincing my wife now. Too bad we literally just moved to Illinois. WEST COAST LIVIN HERE WE COME! Even if it doesn't pass, at least we'll be in CA.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

TyroneGoldstein posted:

There is nothing they can do to un-ring the bell with Coal. Whether you're talking about giant self-driving Caterpillars out in the strip mines of Wyoming or new shaft mining construction in the Appalachians, that ship has sailed. All these old (and not so old) coal miners know exactly why they're sitting on their asses unemployed. They watched the companies buy the machines that could do 10 times the aggregate work with 1/5th the staff. They saw it coming, they were standing on the tracks and even though the train was only moving at 5mph, they still got hit.

This entire exercise is longing masturbation for one of those old time movies showing industrial production in the 1920's. Machine shops with literally 500 (white) guys on a shift all buzzing around, being industrious. That is a dead dream and it will stay dead.

Haha yes why didn't those dumb coal miners bootstrap themselves to silicon valley! :rolleyes:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Don't worry people, everything is just fine

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Mulva posted:

It's pretty much the same as Boston proper, only spread over a much smaller area. The floor for "Good" is probably about 1900, and the average is probably 2,500 or 2,300-ish. Upper limits in the high 3s for 'regular' condos normal folks would be expected to live in. And we don't get LA weather as a bonus. It's rough all over if you want to live anywhere that has any vague upside to living there.

Has rent been skyrocketing over there as well? It's been rising a solid 6-10% every year for the last 5 years at least in Southern California.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Did the Paris deal cost us individual citizens anything? I ask because of a dumb on facebook replied mentioning that the prez is renegotiating a better deal for the "American Tax Payer".

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

It's like he's trying to command someone else to do it for him

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RasperFat posted:

Many moons ago there was a lot more "ironic" bigotry on SA. It was mostly over-the-top ridiculous or edgelord comedy though, not the frothing hatred that's seen from conservatives online these days.

I think the combination of becoming intolerant of using slurs, even ironically, combined with the fact that SA user base is literally maturing has phased out (most/a lot of) the assholery. At least in D&D.

There's...a few problems with ironic racism. You can only be ironically racist for so long before you become actually racist. SA was mostly making fun of how incredibly stupid racial stereotypes are by exaggerating them to ludicrous extremes. The snag was that the internet is full of people who actually believe those stereotypes coming along and going "hell yeah that's funny lol those people suck and are actually like that" It's also only a matter of time before ironic racism becomes actual racism. It frequently doesn't take very long.

Plus as the internet has become less white and less male you've gotten more and more people being "uh yeah dude that isn't OK like ever. Stop it."

Kramdar posted:

Did the Paris deal cost us individual citizens anything? I ask because of a dumb on facebook replied mentioning that the prez is renegotiating a better deal for the "American Tax Payer".

No. It's also a purely voluntary agreement that most of the world has agreed to. Like there is literally nothing actually binding in it. Trump is just grandstanding on that one, doesn't have the slightest loving clue what's even in the Paris agreement, and believes that global warming is not only a hoax but was invented by China to try to destroy America.

I'm not making that up. He legitimately said that climate change was invented by people who want to destroy America.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
What all is contributing to high rents / affordable housing shortage? I've heard a few things discussed but there are probably more.

-NIMBYism, my understanding is this is a huge part of the Bay Area's problem. Current residents don't want new high-density affordable housing blocking their skyline and bringing filthy poors to the neighborhood.
-There isn't financial incentive to build affordable rental housing. Most new construction is for "luxury" units that the landlord can get a better profit from.
-Foreign investment. US real estate is a very reliable investment and especially after the financial crisis many wealthy people have parked their money in buying up condos and such.
-Conversion to AirBnB gray-market hotels. AirBnB is more profitable for landlords than long-term leases.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

NYC it was, pregame from midnight to 2, a club either near Hell's Kitchen, downtown or Dumbo until 10AM and then Afterhours until 7PM. Or you just showed up at sound factory at like 3 and stayed until midnight the next night.

I had actually encountered some of the people from MTV's True Life: I'm an afterhours clubber, specifically that eastern european chick, can't remember her name.

I did a couple of crazy NYC club night/days but I hated that poo poo in general. But yeah, that's an experience in and of itself.

I mean, clubs till 2, drag races at Hunts Point, backdoor poker clubs, run for your life at 6 AM is another one of those rhythms. New York City is fun and never short on ways to spend your night.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Withdrawal from the Paris Accord seems to really not matter at all.

yeah. the economy is already moving in positive directions, and this really just serves to make trump look awful.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's...a few problems with ironic racism. You can only be ironically racist for so long before you become actually racist. SA was mostly making fun of how incredibly stupid racial stereotypes are by exaggerating them to ludicrous extremes. The snag was that the internet is full of people who actually believe those stereotypes coming along and going "hell yeah that's funny lol those people suck and are actually like that" It's also only a matter of time before ironic racism becomes actual racism. It frequently doesn't take very long.

Plus as the internet has become less white and less male you've gotten more and more people being "uh yeah dude that isn't OK like ever. Stop it."

No. It's also a purely voluntary agreement that most of the world has agreed to. Like there is literally nothing actually binding in it. Trump is just grandstanding on that one, doesn't have the slightest loving clue what's even in the Paris agreement, and believes that global warming is not only a hoax but was invented by China to try to destroy America.

I'm not making that up. He legitimately said that climate change was invented by people who want to destroy America.

So besides companies spending their own money making themselves greener, or local government telling us to replace our incandescent lights and offering subsidized energy efficient bulbs, we won't be paying some federal tax toward national improvement?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pellisworth posted:

What all is contributing to high rents / affordable housing shortage? I've heard a few things discussed but there are probably more.

-NIMBYism, my understanding is this is a huge part of the Bay Area's problem. Current residents don't want new high-density affordable housing blocking their skyline and bringing filthy poors to the neighborhood.
-There isn't financial incentive to build affordable rental housing. Most new construction is for "luxury" units that the landlord can get a better profit from.
-Foreign investment. US real estate is a very reliable investment and especially after the financial crisis many wealthy people have parked their money in buying up condos and such.
-Conversion to AirBnB gray-market hotels. AirBnB is more profitable for landlords than long-term leases.

It's all of the above combining into a perfect shitstorm. I think the biggest one is people flocking into cities, though. Rural America is falling apart and hemorrhaging population as people go to where the actual work is. You know, cities.

The other thing is that you have old and/or wealthy people resisting any change at all. Everybody who owns anything that you rent to live in wants the rent to go up every year so a ton of them oppose building new development. More units available = more supply. That might make the price go down! Oh noes! Any development is almost guaranteed to be overpriced luxury units which are often just glorified closets with a fancy stove and a price higher than most people can afford because that's what people think of when they develop. McMansion developments are also an issue; there are entire neighborhoods of badly constructed, >5 bedroom houses sitting totally abandoned because the location is garbage/nobody can actually afford them/the construction is ramshackle/all of the above.

In the Bay Area a major problem is that you pay taxes on the amount of money you paid for the house, if memory serves, so there's absolutely no incentive to sell if you've owned it for multiple decades. Old people don't want to sell because they want to leave it for their kids so they can live that cheaply in an area where the housing market is just awful in terms of available supply. So there's an incentive to never sell anything, ever, which means no development.

Zoning laws are also a huge problem. While people are flocking to cities you have large voting blocs who have decided "nothing is allowed to change here ever. This is an idyllic town and will stay that way forever and ever."

Kramdar posted:

So besides companies spending their own money making themselves greener, or local government telling us to replace our incandescent lights and offering subsidized energy efficient bulbs, we won't be paying some federal tax toward national improvement?

Trump wants to practically eliminate taxes so I guess? It's also stupid because he promised that coal would come back but renewables are getting constantly cheaper. Economic pressure is now starting to ruin fossil fuels because of that. There's also been push back; I don't know who all is doing it but I know California and Pittsburgh in particular are going "lol gently caress you Trump we're going green anyway and you can't loving stop us."

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Haha yes why didn't those dumb coal miners bootstrap themselves to silicon valley! :rolleyes:

That's not what I was meaning to convey and you loving know it. Beat it with that poo poo.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

It's experiencing a resurgence on GBS. TFR isn't much better.

TFR was rough even by older SA standards.

I haven't visited GBS in years. I remember they just stopped moderating as hard and all the threads were filled with shitpost. I had to leave GBS after years of just it and games.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Pellisworth posted:

To add Housing stock is maturing coincident with a multiyear depression in new home building. New housing stock eventually gets older and becomes more affordable but for several years after the GFC there was less construction. And so now even if there is more home building that doesn't replace the homes and apartment buildings that didn't get built.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Kramdar posted:

The Paris Accords themselves didn't cost taxpayers money, but new environmental regulations do add expense. Stuff like requiring all automakers to average 54 mpg within a decade makes cars more expensive.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. The stupidest choices are always cheaper initially.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

He got trolled by Macron.

:lol:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Krispy Kareem posted:

The Paris Accords themselves didn't cost taxpayers money, but new environmental regulations do add expense. Stuff like requiring all automakers to average 54 mpg within a decade makes cars more expensive.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. The stupidest choices are always cheaper initially.

In the long run climate change is going to be far more expensive than this quarter's profits from ignoring it.

The issue is that there are a large number of very wealthy people whose attitude is "gently caress that poo poo I need an enormous yacht to keep my yachts on. Then I need multiple of those and an even more absurdly huge yacht to keep those yachts on." Ignoring climate change entirely, dumping all our garbage in the sea, and DRILL BABY DRILL are the most profitable short term and the shareholders demand money.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
At least Trump looks like a petulant baby.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

In the Bay Area a major problem is that you pay taxes on the amount of money you paid for the house, if memory serves, so there's absolutely no incentive to sell if you've owned it for multiple decades. Old people don't want to sell because they want to leave it for their kids so they can live that cheaply in an area where the housing market is just awful in terms of available supply. So there's an incentive to never sell anything, ever, which means no development.

Yeah this is a CA-specific problem, you're talking about Proposition 13. CA is an exercise in why direct democracy is bad (amend constitution with simple majority referendum).

Prop 13 caps your property taxes at 1% of the purchasing price of your real estate, which can't grow more than 2% each year and obviously real estate grows much faster than that. So if you bought a house decades ago you're paying almost nothing in property taxes relative to its present value, and you want to avoid selling at all costs because then property taxes are assessed at the new selling price.

It's really hosed over CA real estate market and also state tax income, since real estate taxes are much more consistent than income or sales taxes when an economic downturn hits.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's all of the above combining into a perfect shitstorm. I think the biggest one is people flocking into cities, though. Rural America is falling apart and hemorrhaging population as people go to where the actual work is. You know, cities.

The other thing is that you have old and/or wealthy people resisting any change at all. Everybody who owns anything that you rent to live in wants the rent to go up every year so a ton of them oppose building new development. More units available = more supply. That might make the price go down! Oh noes! Any development is almost guaranteed to be overpriced luxury units which are often just glorified closets with a fancy stove and a price higher than most people can afford because that's what people think of when they develop. McMansion developments are also an issue; there are entire neighborhoods of badly constructed, >5 bedroom houses sitting totally abandoned because the location is garbage/nobody can actually afford them/the construction is ramshackle/all of the above.

Zoning laws are also a huge problem. While people are flocking to cities you have large voting blocs who have decided "nothing is allowed to change here ever. This is an idyllic town and will stay that way forever and ever."

Good summary.

As far as LA goes, we a critical lack of density. Downtown is starting to be really hot now and skyrscrapers are shooting up, but there's so much money and so little housing that literally everything is "luxury apartment/condo" and that market hasn't saturated fully yet.

A lot of the large apartment developments are max 4 stories because that's as high as you can build with wood frame and so it's cheaper(and flammable..somebody arsoned one of those a few years ago). There should be skyscrapers all over but since everyone now has a house worth $1 million if they're anywhere near a "nice" area none of them wants their skyline changed.

They just built an absolutely enormous mega-development of apartments and condos in Playa Del Rey and it's filling up quick despite 1brs going for 3k, because we have a massive Google influx

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/4HealthyCA/status/870432927271628800

So what happens when a few states do this and the insurance companies start freaking out?

Do we get federal legislation or DHS rules that try to stop states from doing this?

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's why I put the ironic in quotes for "ironic" bigotry. It was pretty obvious to me as a teenager they were trying to make fun of racism, but that poo poo definitely festers if you don't contextualize or moderate it.

You can see the non internet examples of Chris Rock's routine and Chapelle's blind black white supremacist sketch. Something that was actually funny in context is appropriated and warped by right wing wonks.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah this is a CA-specific problem, you're talking about Proposition 13. CA is an exercise in why direct democracy is bad (amend constitution with simple majority referendum).

Prop 13 caps your property taxes at 1% of the purchasing price of your real estate, which can't grow more than 2% each year and obviously real estate grows much faster than that. So if you bought a house decades ago you're paying almost nothing in property taxes relative to its present value, and you want to avoid selling at all costs because then property taxes are assessed at the new selling price.

It's really hosed over CA real estate market and also state tax income, since real estate taxes are much more consistent than income or sales taxes when an economic downturn hits.

That's also a major component of why I didn't move to California. I'm a software developer so you'd figure I'd be all over that poo poo but I look at what's going on there and think "lol nope."

I also like renting my cozy 2 bedroom apartment that has a bit more space than I actually need for <$1,000. People in the Bay Area would probably commit murder for that kind of situation.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Office Pig posted:

Donny Dons tweeted this. If you can figure it out, great! You'd be the first!

I think he's just like-farming.

He just wants another few thousand of those little hearts, because those are the points with which he keeps score on his life.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Noted Trump supporter and fat rear end Todd Starnes

https://twitter.com/toddstarnes/status/870386774362791937

quote:

I’m old school. Back when I was growing up we did not have climate change or global warming. We had something called weather. Hot in the summer, cold in the winter. It’s an inconvenient truth, 
But it needed to be said.

And many of us appreciate President Trump putting America first – instead of a bunch of godless European vegetarians who don’t put ice in their soft drinks. “I was elected to represent the citizens of Pittsburgh, not Paris,” the president said in the Rose Garden.

So, let’s celebrate, America! I’m marking the occasion by firing up the grill, smoking a pork butt, cranking up the air-conditioning and driving around the neighborhood in a gas-guzzling SUV. And later tonight, I’ll remove an ice tray from my freezer to watch the ice cubes melt.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

A lot of the large apartment developments are max 4 stories because that's as high as you can build with wood frame and so it's cheaper(and flammable..somebody arsoned one of those a few years ago). There should be skyscrapers all over but since everyone now has a house worth $1 million if they're anywhere near a "nice" area none of them wants their skyline changed.

Well, to be fair a wood-frame building less than 5 stories is the safest place to be in an earthquake, better than taller buildings of concrete and steel. Adobe is the worst.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

So what happens when a few states do this and the insurance companies start freaking out?

Do we get federal legislation or DHS rules that try to stop states from doing this?

A few states have passed it, but none have made it happen yet. If anyone can do it though, it is Cali.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

Wouldn't there be more poors than landed gentry voting? How did Prop 13 pass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Jealous Cow posted:

Insurance companies are freaking out right now. California is like 15% of the US population. If single payer passes here, it's going to go national eventually.

• Locked thread