Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One last thing about Viking that I love is that when the dragons start getting summoned you see them flying about whatever Milestone Settlement you most recently retook. I like that it gives you the option to just chill out in town and watch them fly about even if a lot of the time they're a bit out of view. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Somfin posted:

SOMA is arguing against this point. It's a game that deals with the issue of the nature of the self and comes down hard on one specific angle of it.

If you copy a mind, the copy is the same thing as the original; it is only after copying that any divergence can occur. There is no meaningful difference between the copy and the original at the moment of copying, as far as the copy's lived experience is concerned. It retroactively turns all of the gameplay up until that point into artificially-injected memories of the copy, but never once suggests that those memories are false or that the copy is less of a person just because their memories are artificial. A copy of a person, as far as SOMA is concerned, is that exact same person. If you hit the copy button and "wake up" in a new body, then yes, you always were the thing that only just popped into existence, and you didn't exist until that moment, but those memories of hitting the button are still your memories and you are still the real you, just like the one who hit the copy button is also the real you. There is no such thing as a fake you.
The problem is that if you're the one physically pushing the button you have already lost. The only time you win is if it's an event in the past which you had no agency over. If you are the clone then yes the the previous person was still real to you but it was a you that the present you had no agency over. Same thing as waking up from a hardcore drugbender in which you did a lot of things the present you has no control over.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
This thread totally got me into watching an LP of SOMA. drat all of the spoilers are super tempting

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Most of the spoilers are about literally the last 5 minutes of the game so stay strong.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Terrible Opinions posted:

The problem is that if you're the one physically pushing the button you have already lost. The only time you win is if it's an event in the past which you had no agency over. If you are the clone then yes the the previous person was still real to you but it was a you that the present you had no agency over. Same thing as waking up from a hardcore drugbender in which you did a lot of things the present you has no control over.

You guys are arguing the same point.

The exact moment of the cloning means all experiences are the same so both are the same person, but the instant the cloning is done the two have different experiences and are different people. Agency isn't really a factor, even the game mentions that the moment the cloning is done the experience differences mean that it is now two different individuals. The only part we don't know is if the cloning procedure momentarily "shuts down" both bodies before moving files around, meaning by computer standards its possible your "mental state" is in fact passed along to the next body.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

WirelessPillow posted:

You guys are arguing the same point.

Also it seems like the existence of the player fucks up the whole thing? like its based around the unknowable question of "did I MAKE those memories or do i just HAVE them" except it is taking place in the only medium where one of the characters is an audience member who has an overarching continuity of consciousness, and can in fact say "yeah that other guy game overed"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

What's the difference between something you did and something you remember having done? As far as your consciousness is concerned?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Too bad they were never a person, just a copy of one. Because there's a human being controlling Simon some folks anthropomorphize it but it's just a suit with delusions of humanity.

That's the crux of the whole choice with the WAU, because it's trying to make humans and failing absolutely at it with horrifying results.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Too bad they were never a person, just a copy of one. Because there's a human being controlling Simon some folks anthropomorphize it but it's just a suit with delusions of humanity.

That's the crux of the whole choice with the WAU, because it's trying to make humans and failing absolutely at it with horrifying results.

It's a cancer metaphor.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Somfin posted:

What's the difference between something you did and something you remember having done? As far as your consciousness is concerned?
If you're the original consciousness or someone who is believing a falsehood.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

If you're the original consciousness or someone who is believing a falsehood.

Again, and this is more or less the point of the whole drat game, what's the fuckin' difference?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Somfin posted:

Again, and this is more or less the point of the whole drat game, what's the fuckin' difference?

The difference is that one of them actually did it, the other has a copy of the memories of having done it

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Somfin posted:

The game answers that quite elegantly. If you just have memories you get to continue progressing. If you actually did it you get left behind. The protagonist is explicitly told he was an idiot for believing he had any chance of being anything other than the most recent rube.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Who What Now posted:

The difference is that one of them actually did it, the other has a copy of the memories of having done it

Maybe, but they switched places while you weren't looking.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

In Hollow Knight:
The 'Wyrm' is a Worm.
That is all.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

The game answers that quite elegantly. If you just have memories you get to continue progressing. If you actually did it you get left behind. The protagonist is explicitly told he was an idiot for believing he had any chance of being anything other than the most recent rube.

Except he's not, there's a chance we could have been playing through the memories of the Simon who ends up on the Ark all along, just like how we were retroactively playing through the memories of Human Simon and then Simon Copy I before the reveal that we were always Simon Copy II. He's an idiot for believing he had a choice in who he actually is, not for believing he might be the one on the Ark.

Are y'all seriously that confused about retroactive narrative reframing?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Somfin posted:

Except he's not, there's a chance we could have been playing through the memories of the Simon who ends up on the Ark all along, just like how we were retroactively playing through the memories of Human Simon and then Simon Copy I before the reveal that we were always Simon Copy II. He's an idiot for believing he had a choice in who he actually is, not for believing he might be the one on the Ark.

Except you don't experience memories as a narrative. You experience memories in fragments and specifics. If you are still experiencing a narrative you are still the one with agency. It is only a gameplay conceit that we experience the whole thing as an unbroken narrative.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Somfin posted:

We, the player, jump between multiple Simons. There is always an original and a copy, and the player's view always jumps to the copy except for the final time. And then we get to see the post credit sequence anyway. We don't play the same Simon the whole way through.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Oh my god shut uuuuuuuuuuuppppp.

I really like that Westerado could tell that I had a non xbox controller plugged in and offered to start its own set up program. Really nice to have. And on a similar note, Enter the Gungeon having native support for DS4's. It's so much newer and less creaky than my old 360, it's nice to be able use it in more games without having to gently caress around with other programs.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Dead Cells is real pretty, the frost effects especially. The animations are pretty good too, there's a nice sense of impact to them. It's really enjoyable to watch. Oh, and the default collection radius for money and cells is good too, I hate when games make you have to walk over every little currency drop to pick it up.

Seems a bit too oneshot happy at points for me to be sold on it, but it's real tempting and if it was just a bit cheaper I'd probably have bought it already. There's a patch coming out soon I think, so I'll see what it changes and hold off until that.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Pac-man Championship DX+ is already great, like it's twitch reflex - point-scoring - electronic noise-blasting gaming at its finest.

This song just just kicks it into orbit, imo. I feel like I'm in a Tron type scenario when I'm playing this game with this song. Music-wise I love it, because it builds and builds from beginning to end. It's repetitive and progressive all at once, it's just perfect for the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g-99qiGz6Y

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So in Friday the 13th, you can grab the sweater from Jason's Mother's corpse. If you're a female Counselor you can then put the sweater on and use it to stun Jason - he takes a swing at them and they command him to stop, or use a soothing voice to make him lower his guard. If you're playing as Jason when this happens you hear the Counselor's voice as Mother's, becoming increasingly distorted as the stun begins to wear off.

Counselors never hear Mother talking so it's great they went for that little extra bit of detail.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A game I am meaning to rebuy some day is the Toy Story 3 game because it does something that I love - you play through a few mediocre platforming levels that tell the story of the movie, with a few collectibles to keep it interesting. Then you beat the story after maybe a couple of hours - then after the story is done you unlock "Toybox Mode" and realise that you haven't even begun to play, as you explore a massive world with tons of little sidequests and collectible outfits to dress the martians in :3: There are really awesome things there that you can unlock too, like areas like Sid's Haunted House, which has Grim Grinning Ghosts as the soundtrack.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Who What Now posted:

We, the player, jump between multiple Simons. There is always an original and a copy, and the player's view always jumps to the copy except for the final time. And then we get to see the post credit sequence anyway. We don't play the same Simon the whole way through.

The only time we switch Simons is after the credits, for the rest of the game we are and always were playing as hardsuit Simon experiencing the existences of other Simons retroactively. The entire game is a framing element to set up the notion that agency is itself an illusion, because just like in real life, our lived experiences are post-hoc rationalizations of our actions; no one actually lives in the "present," our lives are simply the immediate recollections of the past filtered by our consciousness. The point SOMA sets up (and the real actual little thing I love about the game :v:) is that this doesn't change if your consciousness is copied and your memories are retained.

Swear that's the last time I'll talk about SOMA in this thread. In another, far more recent game, a little thing I like about Everspace (which is a roguelike space action game that plays like Freelancer had a drunken one-night stand with FTL) is that the in-game narrative justification for the player persisting through multiple randomized permadeath runs is that it's actually your copied consciousness persisting through a series of cloned bodies and oh jesus christ it's the same thing as SOMA isn't it

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
ugh these pages suck and they've made me hate SOMA more than I already did.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That God Hand is on sale for $3.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BioEnchanted posted:

A game I am meaning to rebuy some day is the Toy Story 3 game because it does something that I love - you play through a few mediocre platforming levels that tell the story of the movie, with a few collectibles to keep it interesting. Then you beat the story after maybe a couple of hours - then after the story is done you unlock "Toybox Mode" and realise that you haven't even begun to play, as you explore a massive world with tons of little sidequests and collectible outfits to dress the martians in :3: There are really awesome things there that you can unlock too, like areas like Sid's Haunted House, which has Grim Grinning Ghosts as the soundtrack.

That game was surprisingly really well done. It's like the devs said "Okay yeah yeah we got the movie plot and poo poo here you go ANYWAYS we've also got this sweet sandtoybox mode too..."

Pretty sure that became the impetus to make Disney Infinity.

ShootaBoy posted:

I really like that Westerado could tell that I had a non xbox controller plugged in and offered to start its own set up program. Really nice to have. And on a similar note, Enter the Gungeon having native support for DS4's. It's so much newer and less creaky than my old 360, it's nice to be able use it in more games without having to gently caress around with other programs.

I like it when games allow you to use different controllers, and change its prompts up accordingly. Cook, Serve, Delicious, for example, allows you to set your controller as a DS3, DS4, Xbox360, XboxOne, or even a Wii U pro controller. I assume it's been released on all said platforms, but even so, allowing that on the PC is pretty great. No more scratching my head to remember which button was Y on an Xbox controller (will literally never internalize that information after a lifetime of SNES layouts burnt permanently into my skull).

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 18:21 on Jun 1, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

poptart_fairy posted:

So in Friday the 13th, you can grab the sweater from Jason's Mother's corpse. If you're a female Counselor you can then put the sweater on and use it to stun Jason - he takes a swing at them and they command him to stop, or use a soothing voice to make him lower his guard. If you're playing as Jason when this happens you hear the Counselor's voice as Mother's, becoming increasingly distorted as the stun begins to wear off.

Counselors never hear Mother talking so it's great they went for that little extra bit of detail.

This is the new FRIENDS FMV game meme isn't it?

e: oh wow it's a real game.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 02:19 on Jun 2, 2017

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

poptart_fairy posted:

Not only that, but doing so is essential for killing Jason

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
So in Friday the 13th, one of the ways to win is to find a fuse, use it to fix the phone box, then head inside and use the phone to call the police. Once the police arrive, you can just walk out of the map to escape.

I was playing as Jason and overheard a counselor on the phone. I waltz over and smash the phone box. I could actually hear the line suddenly go dead and have a busy signal from outside. The police countdown didn't start because the call never finished, that's some legit horror movie poo poo right there :allears:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I want that game but I don't know if I should get the PC or PS4 version. My PC runs things and I haven't had too many issues with more recent games but at thing point I feel it's a crap shoot with my six year old graphics card

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Wasabi the J posted:

This is the new FRIENDS FMV game meme isn't it?

e: oh wow it's a real game.

I also thought that they were just making poo poo up, and not only did it turn out to exist it plays pretty much exactly how a Friday the 13th game should play. I just wish it had come out when I had more free time, it looks like it is a blast.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Len posted:

That God Hand is on sale for $3.

What? Where?!

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Who What Now posted:

What? Where?!

It's on the PSN store until Monday.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

My computer probably would've just barely been able to run Friday the 13th so it's one of the driving reasons why I'm just going to build a new computer entirely instead of just replacing my dead HDD.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Polaron posted:

Not only that, but doing so is essential for killing Jason

Yep, totally buying this game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Danaru posted:

So in Friday the 13th, one of the ways to win is to find a fuse, use it to fix the phone box, then head inside and use the phone to call the police. Once the police arrive, you can just walk out of the map to escape.

I was playing as Jason and overheard a counselor on the phone. I waltz over and smash the phone box. I could actually hear the line suddenly go dead and have a busy signal from outside. The police countdown didn't start because the call never finished, that's some legit horror movie poo poo right there :allears:

It's a huge love letter to the films, and I adore how a lot of Jasons will "roleplay" and focus on doing scary movie poo poo rather than just murdering everyone at the first opportunity. It's also great seeing Counselors make the exact same movie mistakes. :allears:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The Jason animations are so good from the streams that I've watched. I wonder how much it cost them to get Kane Hodder to do mo-cap because it was worth every dollar.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Danaru posted:

Police countdown should start anyway because if you call the cops, sound distressed and the call suddenly gets cut off you'd reckon they'd at least try and follow up :argh: (more of an IIMM for horror movies I guess)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Police countdown should start anyway because if you call the cops, sound distressed and the call suddenly gets cut off you'd reckon they'd at least try and follow up :argh:
Nah, it should send out one NPC cop to show up, have their car break down, then get easily murdered by Jason.