Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

A bit late to the party but I finally caught the excellent E:60 PK Subban piece (it's on TSN http://www.tsn.ca/video/p-k-subban-an-e-60-profile~1135682) and godddamn has it reignited my extreme hatred of Marc Bergevin and the entire Canadiens organization. I was too young to fully internalize the Patrick Roy trade but goddamnit am I never gonna get over it. Turns out seeing PK have success in Nashville only sorta soothes it, I still have an intense desire to piss in Bergevin's morning coffee.

What is going on with the fancycats exactly? With Dale Tallon flipflopping back and forth, are they caught between being unable to make up their minds on their organizational philosophy after a disappointing year this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Xtanstic posted:

A bit late to the party but I finally caught the excellent E:60 PK Subban piece (it's on TSN http://www.tsn.ca/video/p-k-subban-an-e-60-profile~1135682)

I just watched that too. Ow my heart. :(

Fire Bergevin.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

yellowcar posted:

I just watched that too. Ow my heart. :(

Fire Bergevin.

No don't.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

If we Fire Bergevin today, you can lock in 2 years of Patrick Roy running the Habs into the ground.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Schlesische posted:

If we Fire Bergevin today, you can lock in 2 years of Patrick Roy running the Habs into the ground.

Roy probably still hates the Canadiens enough to sabotage them and try to destroy the franchise... but he's so incompetent at everything that he'd accidentally build a dynasty.

A+ strategy, make it happen

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I know Roy doesn't have the best reputation, but perhaps it says something good that he bailed on the Avs in frustration with their roster management the year before they were historically terrible.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

I know Roy doesn't have the best reputation, but perhaps it says something good that he bailed on the Avs in frustration with their roster management the year before they were historically terrible.

He didn't sign in Montreal because Molson wouldn't give him a strong say in what the GM did. Colorado had no such qualms.

He was the coach and pres of hockey ops iirc, meaning he was absolutely as liable for making that garbage fire of a team as Sakic.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
The Sedins got honorary degrees from Kwantlen today:

https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/870331285633343489

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.
EDIT: wrong thread, oops

Melchiresa fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 2, 2017

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Schlesische posted:

He didn't sign in Montreal because Molson wouldn't give him a strong say in what the GM did. Colorado had no such qualms.

He was the coach and pres of hockey ops iirc, meaning he was absolutely as liable for making that garbage fire of a team as Sakic.

He quit before that happened, because he didn't have enough influence. Seeing the impending collapse and bailing should affect his reputation a bit.

When the Avs traded Nick Holden to the Rangers, Patrick Roy called Alain Vigneault and told him "you got my best defenseman." Holden has a cap hit of 1.65m and posted a career best 11g 23a 34p. It seems that Roy thought this guy might be more useful than the fourth round pick they got for him.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Roy's a hothead and a wife beater but not an idiot.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zodijackylite posted:

When the Avs traded Nick Holden to the Rangers, Patrick Roy called Alain Vigneault and told him "you got my best defenseman." Holden has a cap hit of 1.65m and posted a career best 11g 23a 34p. It seems that Roy thought this guy might be more useful than the fourth round pick they got for him.

Except Holden is definitely worse than both Barrie and EJ sooooooo that also says a ton about Roy.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Holden sucks rear end.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

He quit before that happened, because he didn't have enough influence. Seeing the impending collapse and bailing should affect his reputation a bit.

When he was hired by the Avs it was as coach and vice president of hockey ops. It was noted at the time that no other coach in the league had the effective power as coach and GM.

It's possible that after they blundered their way through last season that he lost all his influence, but I remember reading that Molson was unwilling to cut the deal to land Roy that the Avs later took up. The end result was Bergevin and Therrien.
Fun fact, Bergevin was on the Detroit team that ended Roy's Montreal career.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 2, 2017

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Nick Holden had 34 points this year. The Avalanche had 34 fewer points this year than last year. Coincidence? I think not, please accept my fancy stats.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Zodijackylite posted:

Nick Holden had 34 points this year. The Avalanche had 34 fewer points this year than last year. Coincidence? I think not, please accept my fancy stats.

only if you frame it as an out of no where tweet.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zodijackylite posted:

I'm a bit disappointed you couldn't work in a joke about that weird tweet about Carl Soderberg having 14 pts in 82 games.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
For some reason, I woke up with the name Ladislav Nagy in my mind. Didn't realize he left the NHL nearly 10 years ago. I also would have guessed he had a better career than he actually did.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

For some reason, I woke up with the name Ladislav Nagy in my mind. Didn't realize he left the NHL nearly 10 years ago. I also would have guessed he had a better career than he actually did.

That's a blast from the past. My enduring memory of him was the Stars trading a first round pick for him and that being the standard for idiotic trade deadline overpay for several years.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Twin Cinema posted:

Same except it's usually Enver Lisin for me, for some reason. I think maybe he could get really good in NHL2k7

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ted Leonsis once invited deadspin's Dave McKenna over to talk about how the league is in the tank for the Penguins

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
It's a big gap to be sure for #1 but he's the #2 biggest dipshit named Ted in DC

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's a big gap to be sure for #1 but he's the #2 biggest dipshit named Ted in DC

Don't be so hard on Leonsis just because he wasn't able to reveal the truth to everyone.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I alternate between thinking Leonsis is a pretty good owner (with his passion for the team and choking a fan) and thinking he's just a few steps from Dan Snyder (conspiracy bullshit and meddling in head coaching decisions).

Wasn't Leonsis also one of the major forces behind the 2012 lockout (along with Jacobs)?

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 2, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I really wish I'd have been a fly on the wall for that whole exchange. It sounds entertaining as all hell.

quote:

To literally illustrate what a tool I was for not supporting shipping the sure-thing Hall of Famer out, Leonsis gives his lecture while standing at a whiteboard with a hockey rink on it, on which he speed-diagrams with a magic marker how Jagr’s selfish and undisciplined play ruined what had been among the league’s best power plays. He dragged the sharpie all over the place to show how the left-handed winger freelanced and chased the puck rather than waiting in his assigned territory. Former captain Adam Oates was cast as Gallant to Jagr’s Goofus in Leonsis’s breakdown.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

DJExile posted:

I really wish I'd have been a fly on the wall for that whole exchange. It sounds entertaining as all hell.

[eakins-whiteboard.jpg]

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
"League favors X" conspiracy breakdown

Internet posters / Talk radio callers: to be expected
Losing player in heat of moment: understandable
Team owner earnest and considered belief: embarrassing

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

"League favors X" conspiracy breakdown

Internet posters / Talk radio callers: to be expected
Losing player in heat of moment: understandable
Team owner earnest and considered belief: embarrassing

What about head coaches? Pretty sure Trotz bitched about favorable treatment to the Penguins last season and I wanted to punch him for it.

Though I suppose he could have just been doing it for gamesmanship in which case I guess it's fine.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Mind_Taker posted:

I alternate between thinking Leonsis is a pretty good owner (with his passion for the team and choking a fan) and thinking he's just a few steps from Dan Snyder (conspiracy bullshit and meddling in head coaching decisions).

Wasn't Leonsis also one of the major forces behind the 2012 lockout (along with Jacobs)?

IMO, he's been a very good owner ever since he learned his big lesson with Jagr. His foibles are mostly related to his enthusiasm and passion for the team, which I can easily forgive. He might have some wacky and indefensible theories, but as long as they don't impact the team I don't really care. I mean, almost everybody as rich as him is detached from reality, but at least Ted's a nice guy. How much he's had to do with head coach choices I don't know; hopefully the Jagr thing carries over there are he has a lot of respect for what the other guys in the room have to say.

He was a big supporter of the 2004-05 lockout, but I don't remember him being vocal about the last one. It wouldn't shock me and I also don't remember him rocking the boat, either. At the very least, he's been willing to spend money ever since then, which was an issue a few times with Abe Pollin.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Zodijackylite posted:

counterpoint: Carl Soderberg played in 80 games, tallying 14 points

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

man, talk about having a loser's attitude. that kind of thinking is toxic to a competitive mindset/culture

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

man, talk about having a loser's attitude. that kind of thinking is toxic to a competitive mindset/culture

Counterpoint: New England Patriots and their fanbase who thinks everything is out to get them.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I love that Ted is so shook about the Penguins that he has tons of files saved trying to prove they get favoritism.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

IMO, he's been a very good owner ever since he learned his big lesson with Jagr. His foibles are mostly related to his enthusiasm and passion for the team, which I can easily forgive. He might have some wacky and indefensible theories, but as long as they don't impact the team I don't really care. I mean, almost everybody as rich as him is detached from reality, but at least Ted's a nice guy. How much he's had to do with head coach choices I don't know; hopefully the Jagr thing carries over there are he has a lot of respect for what the other guys in the room have to say.

He was a big supporter of the 2004-05 lockout, but I don't remember him being vocal about the last one. It wouldn't shock me and I also don't remember him rocking the boat, either. At the very least, he's been willing to spend money ever since then, which was an issue a few times with Abe Pollin.

On the other hand Leonsis hired Oates, not McPhee, and that set the team back a few years. Trotz was also picked by Leonsis directly and there are already rumors that MacLellan has his hands tied with Trotz which is why he's neither been fired nor extended. It was really odd to hear MacLellan talk about Trotz needing to be better next season. Usually GMs either fully back their head coach or just fire them and lame duck situations don't occur very often. It feels like they are going to fire Trotz the moment they slump next season in which case why not just fire him now?

There seems to be a huge disconnect between GM and coach and I wouldn't be surprised if Leonsis hiring Trotz is part of the reason why.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

That's a blast from the past. My enduring memory of him was the Stars trading a first round pick for him and that being the standard for idiotic trade deadline overpay for several years.

In their defence he'd put up pretty solid numbers for Phoenix, 249 pts in 321 games is pretty good, it's .77 PPG. Him missing 57 games and buggering off a year later to play for LA made it more of an issue.

I wouldn't call Nagy a total bust, especially since he was a 7th round pick.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

On the other hand Leonsis hired Oates, not McPhee, and that set the team back a few years. Trotz was also picked by Leonsis directly and there are already rumors that MacLellan has his hands tied with Trotz which is why he's neither been fired nor extended. It was really odd to hear MacLellan talk about Trotz needing to be better this season. Usually GMs either fully back their head coach or just fire them and lame duck situations don't occur very often. It feels like they are going to fire Trotz the moment they slump next season in which case why not just fire him now?

There seems to be a huge disconnect between GM and coach and I wouldn't be surprised if Leonsis hiring Trotz is part of the reason why.

You want to time the firing of the coach for mid season because then you get the new coach bump and temporarily become a top 5 possession team and win a cup.

Well it works for the Penguins anyways.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

You want to time the firing of the coach for mid season because then you get the new coach bump and temporarily become a top 5 possession team and win a cup.

Well it works for the Penguins anyways.

Nah they are going to intentionally tank their possession game and rely on counter-attacking in an effort to emulate the Penguins run this season.

Except the Capitals will miss the playoffs completely.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Mind_Taker posted:

On the other hand Leonsis hired Oates, not McPhee, and that set the team back a few years. Trotz was also picked by Leonsis directly and there are already rumors that MacLellan has his hands tied with Trotz which is why he's neither been fired nor extended. It was really odd to hear MacLellan talk about Trotz needing to be better next season. Usually GMs either fully back their head coach or just fire them and lame duck situations don't occur very often. It feels like they are going to fire Trotz the moment they slump next season in which case why not just fire him now?

I have no idea how much was Leonsis and how much was Dick Patrick in those decisions, though I guess the buck stops at the owner on this stuff anyway.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Uh, call me crazy, but the Caps are a very loving good team and, imo, should do everything they can to stay the course. Holtby sucked and they got back luck. What are they gonna do, gets some +2 luck gloves and trade away one of the best keepers alive?

It'd be dumb to do anything but try again next year.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

JoelJoel posted:

Uh, call me crazy, but the Caps are a very loving good team and, imo, should do everything they can to stay the course. Holtby sucked and they got back luck. What are they gonna do, gets some +2 luck gloves and trade away one of the best keepers alive?

It'd be dumb to do anything but try again next year.

Oh, I agree. It's nice to be in a position to critique the owner when a lot of other teams have deep concerns way down the ladder. Tweeks, imo, though it's fair to wonder about the GM and coach getting along and how stuff keeps happening with that.

• Locked thread