Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

What is it with this guy and ice cubes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RasperFat posted:

That's why I put the ironic in quotes for "ironic" bigotry. It was pretty obvious to me as a teenager they were trying to make fun of racism, but that poo poo definitely festers if you don't contextualize or moderate it.

You can see the non internet examples of Chris Rock's routine and Chapelle's blind black white supremacist sketch. Something that was actually funny in context is appropriated and warped by right wing wonks.

Exaggerating stereotypes like that to the point of absurdity was actually doable say...15 or 10 years ago.

Now the right has gone so far down the path of white supremacy you can't make those jokes without getting a herd of people screaming "preach it, brother!" The major turning point was Obama getting elected. A hell of a lot of people went absolutely insane after that.

Then he got reelected and the racism really cranked up.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I can't wait to see all the southern states in the uncomfortable position of having to attack states rights when Congress tries to stop this.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Jealous Cow posted:

https://twitter.com/4HealthyCA/status/870432927271628800

So what happens when a few states do this and the insurance companies start freaking out?

Do we get federal legislation or DHS rules that try to stop states from doing this?

California will probably hire insurers to administer the program, so it will be no different than any other Fortune 30 company that self pays.

For small business and individual plans, insurance companies take in premiums and pay out claims. For larger accounts insurers just do all the paperwork and negotiate the best rates. California might be big enough to negotiate on its own, but since hospitals are owned by national corporations and drugs are sold by multi-national, Cali will probably still need extra help negotiating deals.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

botany posted:

Those of you who can read German, this is a pretty good article on what exiting the Paris Accord actually means and why it's bad for the US:

http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/natur/donald-trump-und-welt-klimavertrag-das-bedeutet-der-ausstieg-der-usa-a-1150356.html

For those of you who can't read our gibberish, the short version is basically that the US won't be part of the talks surrounding the climate agreement anymore. Those talks are not about emission goals, since the signed states set those themselves anyway, but they are an international opportunity to make deals. Under the present agreement, countries are investing heavily into renewable energy infrastructure, which typically takes the form of, e.g., Germany investing billions into India's renewable energy sources. This means India gets top of the line technology on the cheap, while German engineering firms get lucrative contracts. Such agreements are also bargaining chips in negotiations on all sorts of deals from anti-terrorism cooperation to the refugee situation. The US is going to lose a lot of influence by no longer sitting at those tables. This will mean loss of contracts for US firms and loss of investment money, all in a country like the US, where more people work in renewable energy than in oil, gas and coal combined.

And then there's obviously the danger of global warming, which would hit certain US areas hard anyway, but this is really about a lot more than just climate change.

Oh hey I'm saving this for later!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Wouldn't there be more poors than landed gentry voting? How did Prop 13 pass?

That was in 1978 and I don't really know much about the history of it, someone else can weigh in I'm sure.

How it works nowadays is the proposition will have a really misleading name and lobbying/business interests can dump tons of money on campaigns for their pet propositions. There are also usually like a dozen props, so to actually make informed voting decisions you need to spend a fair chunk of time reading pro/con analyses. I think a lot of CA voters either skip voting on most props because they don't know what they do, or just vote yes because hey that sounds nice.

edit: this was from 2016, look at the number and funding behind the props. https://ballotpedia.org/California_2016_ballot_propositions

Prop 61 had $20mil for it and $110mil opposed, guess which side the pharma industry backed?

Cali also has a very low signature threshhold for getting initiatives on the ballot.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 2, 2017

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

A few states have passed it, but none have made it happen yet. If anyone can do it though, it is Cali.

Hawaii has it, I believe.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I can't wait to see all the southern states in the uncomfortable position of having to attack states rights when Congress tries to stop this.

They will, easily. Remember that bathroom bill in North Carolina? You think that bill was primarily about transgender people, you're out of your mind. It was a Trojan horse to centralize control of the wage rate in Raleigh with the thinking that it can never be raised because of the bright Red hold they have on state politics. Now, if they're willing to strip the right of municipalities to set their wage floor and centralize it in the State capital, what makes you think they won't use the Federal government to clobber states they don't like?

These people don't give a gently caress about any of that, they give a gently caress about being in control and they will wield it like a bat to the head of people they don't like.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Please don't clink shame.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Lightning Lord posted:

Beginning to think Trump is some sort of mercurial trickster figure
Trump is a quantum entity. It is impossible to determine his position unless directly observed.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/stevenjay/status/870449156686585856

Trump stupid, surrounded by stupids.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

VanSandman posted:

Hawaii has it, I believe.

I had it for 4 months while I worked out of Honolulu. One percent of my pay covered the whole family. HMSA.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Exaggerating stereotypes like that to the point of absurdity was actually doable say...15 or 10 years ago.

Actually it was lovely and racist 15 years ago too but you were younger then and didn't notice as much.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Actually I bet a sociologist could do a fascinating book or paper on SA or the Goonfleet forums. How the people on the forums aged and became more tolerant over time and stopped the unfunny ironic racism, sexism and homophobic-slandering as they aged and how new sites like reddit and voat appeared to fill the void. We've already seen reddit follow SA to a degree. It'll be interesting to see where it is in five years, and where voat is in five years.

I'm pretty sure most of the worst shitposting neocon shills just got banned/left as SA political chat slowly turned left in the late 2000s, unless Voice of Reason is still around under another name.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Fallen Rib

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He doesn't believe that the melt in hot weather for one thing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Uh.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

eXXon posted:

I'm pretty sure most of the worst shitposting neocon shills just got banned/left as SA political chat slowly turned left in the late 2000s, unless Voice of Reason is still around under another name.

There was a bunch of change to the left, lots of mellowing...and everyone else went to that somethingsensitive site and they still hate us to this day....for some reason. Well, they hate the mods primarily..but us too. That's some straight stormfront poo poo and I know those people are probably pushing near 40 at this point. I don't even begin to understand that...pushing that age and you still get a hardon by being like that online.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Actually it was lovely and racist 15 years ago too but you were younger then and didn't notice as much.

Hmmm...yeah I was 19 at the time.

Checks out.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Actually, they did exactly that a while back and it ended up in a bit of a kerfluffle ... https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/five-myths-about-why-the-south-seceded/2011/01/03/ABHr6jD_story.html?utm_term=.b4f636dc6da4

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Reminder. Chickpea fucker.

Regressives stick their dick and food. Never ever accept food from a regressive.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jealous Cow posted:

So what happens when a few states do this and the insurance companies start freaking out?

Do we get federal legislation or DHS rules that try to stop states from doing this?

The GOP will absolutely and unquestioningly either block it outright on the Federal level, or pass bills with the explicit goal of sabotaging California to ensure it fails because they cannot afford to let it succeed, especially in a State as large as California.

Or they just sue and win 5-4 when it reaches the SCOTUS.

I refuse to believe this isn't a Chuck Tingle novel.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Yummy!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Wouldn't there be more poors than landed gentry voting? How did Prop 13 pass?

"If you own a house you can keep it and it will be nice one day when you own a house and grandmas won't get kicked out of her house"

"nevermind that the massive beneficiaries to this is businesses which is how you pay more property tax than a golf course in beverly hills"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Actually I bet a sociologist could do a fascinating book or paper on SA or the Goonfleet forums. How the people on the forums aged and became more tolerant over time and stopped the unfunny ironic racism, sexism and homophobic-slandering as they aged and how new sites like reddit and voat appeared to fill the void. We've already seen reddit follow SA to a degree. It'll be interesting to see where it is in five years, and where voat is in five years.

Reddit will always be LCD poo poo because they're open and don't have the glorious 10$ paywall.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

The GOP will absolutely and unquestioningly either block it outright on the Federal level, or pass bills with the explicit goal of sabotaging California to ensure it fails because they cannot afford to let it succeed, especially in a State as large as California.

Or they just sue and win 5-4 when it reaches the SCOTUS.

No one's going to block it. Massachusetts reformed their insurance market and no one interfered because that is regulated at the state level.

California is big enough that they can usually influence the whole nation (remember Californian emissions). So you can be certain pharmaceuticals and hospital systems will be against it, but the Feds don't care.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

Of course, I've seen it put forward in some articles that there's nothing attached for how to pay for it. Is that even remotely true?

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 2, 2017

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I for one am completely shocked that the people arguing in favor of climate change denialism and/or inaction were presenting unsound and unscientific arguments.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

PhazonLink posted:

Reddit will always be LCD poo poo because they're open and don't have the glorious 10$ paywall.

Tumblr is free and it's generally progressive. Like you can point out that it's literally actual children and therefore has a lot of childish takes on progressive topics but it's still a free website that organically maintains a largely far left culture.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

We didn't he just go all the way here?

quote:

You know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna get myself a 1967 Cadillac, El Dorado convertible, hot pink with whaleskin hub caps and all leather cow interior, and big brown baby seal eyes for headlights, yeah. And I'm gonna drive around in that baby at 115 mph, getting one mile per gallon, sucking down quarter pounder Cheese burgers from McDonald's in the old fashioned, non-biodegradable Styrofoam containers, and when I'm done sucking down those grease ball burgers I'm gonna wipe my mouth with the American flag, and then I'm gonna toss the Styrofoam container right out the side, and there ain't a goddamned thing anybody can do about it. You know why? Because we got the bombs, that's why. Two words, nuclear loving weapons, okay? Russia, Germany, Romania, they can have all the democracy they want, they can have a big democracy cake walk right through the middle of Tienanmen square, and it won't make a lick of difference. Because we've got the bombs, okay? John Wayne's not dead, he's frozen and as soon as we find the cure for cancer. We're gonna thaw out the duke and he's gonna be pretty pissed off. You know why? Have you ever taken a cold shower? Well multiple that by 15 million times. That's how pissed off the Duke's gonna be!

Evil Fluffy posted:

No, he'd respect his audience enough to be direct.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

botany posted:

Those of you who can read German, this is a pretty good article on what exiting the Paris Accord actually means and why it's bad for the US:

http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/natur/donald-trump-und-welt-klimavertrag-das-bedeutet-der-ausstieg-der-usa-a-1150356.html

For those of you who can't read our gibberish, the short version is basically that the US won't be part of the talks surrounding the climate agreement anymore. Those talks are not about emission goals, since the signed states set those themselves anyway, but they are an international opportunity to make deals. Under the present agreement, countries are investing heavily into renewable energy infrastructure, which typically takes the form of, e.g., Germany investing billions into India's renewable energy sources. This means India gets top of the line technology on the cheap, while German engineering firms get lucrative contracts. Such agreements are also bargaining chips in negotiations on all sorts of deals from anti-terrorism cooperation to the refugee situation. The US is going to lose a lot of influence by no longer sitting at those tables. This will mean loss of contracts for US firms and loss of investment money, all in a country like the US, where more people work in renewable energy than in oil, gas and coal combined.

And then there's obviously the danger of global warming, which would hit certain US areas hard anyway, but this is really about a lot more than just climate change.

ART

OF

THE

gently caress

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
it's amazing how much you learn as you grow older, especially about yourself

for instance i did not know that I thought dennis leary was such a piece of poo poo.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

what does LCD mean? i'm an old man now by internet standards

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Good summary.

As far as LA goes, we a critical lack of density. Downtown is starting to be really hot now and skyrscrapers are shooting up, but there's so much money and so little housing that literally everything is "luxury apartment/condo" and that market hasn't saturated fully yet.

A lot of the large apartment developments are max 4 stories because that's as high as you can build with wood frame and so it's cheaper(and flammable..somebody arsoned one of those a few years ago). There should be skyscrapers all over but since everyone now has a house worth $1 million if they're anywhere near a "nice" area none of them wants their skyline changed.

They just built an absolutely enormous mega-development of apartments and condos in Playa Del Rey and it's filling up quick despite 1brs going for 3k, because we have a massive Google influx

Google has a division in/near Play Del Rey? :monocle:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Dick Milhous Rock! posted:

ART

OF

THE

gently caress

Have I got a song for you!:nms: (song starts at around 2:15 btw)

Majorian fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 2, 2017

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Looks like something from Chuck Tingle.

Mildly NSFW.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

icantfindaname posted:

Lowest common denominator

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

icantfindaname posted:

Lowest Common Denominator. The Hoi Palloi. The Great Unwashed!

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

STAC Goat posted:

I did a couple of crazy NYC club night/days but I hated that poo poo in general. But yeah, that's an experience in and of itself.

I mean, clubs till 2, drag races at Hunts Point, backdoor poker clubs, run for your life at 6 AM is another one of those rhythms. New York City is fun and never short on ways to spend your night.

You guys are way cooler than me. I've lived in New York for like, nine years and all I ever do is go to random dive bars and then pass out at 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF DOOM
Sep 3, 2007

i  am
the  god  of
hellfire

Evil Fluffy posted:

... it's not?

Holy poo poo I got dense on my first pass of that cover.

• Locked thread