Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

AradoBalanga posted:

Yes. The same mistake that Awakening did regarding direct family members was repeated with Fates. Because someone on the supports writing staff is really that stupid and shortsighted.

In this case since the Support Writing was outsourced it was probably more of a 'they're not paying us to write it which is weird but ok it's their money.'

Which once again brings the problem back to the main writing staff :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
Ah yes, the "Oh my god Emmeryn, you're still alive! Now never talk to us again" problem of limited support conversations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Waz happen? Oh right, Lilith died for some reason and Iago was team-killing us but somehow not really. Now we're at Fort Jinya! You know, that first mission after choosing Birthright.

Oddly enough, a brand new map despite the same location.

This is essentially Hoshido's front line. It's rumored to be impregnable. Seizing it is tantamount to conquering Hoshido. We must not fail.
*sigh* Of course it's impregnable. Why is it never easy?
We should brace ourselves. We will likely be battling people we know in there.
I'm ready. We've made it this far... There's no turning back now. It's just like Xander said. No matter who we lose...or who we end up hurting...

Sounds a lot worse when you're on the side that started it all.

You're right. Even if I must defeat the siblings I grew up with... It is for a higher purpose. Neither of us should regret the events to come.
We're in this together, Corrine. I will follow you to the end.
Thank you, Azura. Your support gives me strength.
Well, there’s no reason to postpone this any longer. The soldiers inside have likely already realized we're here. We should attack first, before they do. Let's go.

"Hey, can we borrow your chair? Just for like a second!"

*Meanwhile*

Lady Sakura, what are you still doing here? You must escape! NOW!
Wh-what's the matter, Yukimura? You're out of breath!
Milady, you must stop healing our soldiers and retreat. There isn't a moment to lose. Lady Corrine and her army are outside the fort, preparing for battle.
Corrine's here?
...I see. Then I will j-join the fight.
You don't know what you're saying. You need to get back to the castle right—

Looks like it's Sakura's turn to mature independently when on the losing side.

L-Lady Sakura?!
I'm sorry, Yukimura. I know you're only looking out for me. But I'm no longer a powerless princess. I will f-fight for my kingdom. I refuse to leave these soldiers behind and be the only one who escapes! Please, Yukimura. Please try to understand.

I'm always confused that she never stutters in her voiced lines, but Felicia does. Maybe someone mixed up the character description?

Lady Sakura... *sigh*

If it means that much to you to stay, then I shall not force you to retreat.
But only if you allow me to arrange for your protection. We shall fight together.
Th-thank you, Yukimura.

It's a split party map but you can technically just pair up one side. But don't, because there's Dragon Veins that interact with the opposite side of the map.

Last call for Arthur, permanent spot for least voted: http://www.strawpoll.me/13077616

Forrest's promotion: http://www.strawpoll.me/13077621

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Wheres the option to A+ forrest into malig knight?

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Unlike in Birthright, the sibling battles in Conquest (except for one) do not gently caress around.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

FoolyCharged posted:

Wheres the option to A+ forrest into malig knight?

Nowhere. None of the children that we have recruited give him a Wyvern rider class set.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Boo! In that case, where is the option to dark knight him? We cant let tae's happiness over having a healer go unpunished

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

BlazeEmblem posted:

Nowhere. None of the children that we have recruited give him a Wyvern rider class set.

then what class set does... oh, Forrest can't support with Percy can he

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Actually, glancing at the numbers, berserker bolt ax Forrest might work.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Capturing Fort Jinya is basically the same as conquering Hoshido? Back on Birthright, it had no strategic value!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

No one should ever have to feel ashamed of who they are. That's the last thing I want for my beloved son...

Leo is out, Forrest is a Butler.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I was hoping to get rid of Arthur, because boy is he not good now outside of being an aura buff.

Forrest is a Butler now, with decent stats and high resistance. He also gets to use up that Flame Shuriken I've been holding forever, plus another Hunter's Knife user is always good. At least until Soleil builds up her ranks.

The first plan is to bait out some enemies to thin them out before charging through the entrance.

Every battle I regret making Corrine's boon +STR, because she could be so much more.

Securing the counterkill is cool, but a bit annoying that it required an Azura speed-up song to double these mages.

So here's the big pain in the annoyance for this map: Three Shuriken turrets spread across the map and basically makes sure you're getting hit by one. Just always assume I have -3 less power and defense.

Second annoyance is Sakura who has Silence and Freeze staves so she can either shut down healing or keep a character locked down to be swarmed.

Odin picks off an Oni Chieftain for +HP/STR/SKL/LCK/RES. Kinda annoying he hasn't gained much magic. 23 at level 30 is horrific, combined with his 22 speed.

The creepy dolls are back, and Percy sends out a warm axe of a welcome. Despite developing good speed, he really needs to keep Wary Fighter on as a frontline fighter for future sky knights and swordmasters.

Laslow certainly isn't going to miss anytime soon.

The Dragon Veins remove these obstacles on the opposite side, and doing so for Corrine's team will do the same to help team Azura advance.

Arthur gets fed a kill to reach level 23. 17 speed excluding the +3 he gets from the lodestar skill, yuck.

Not that Selena herself can hold on her own but the level difference is really hurting Arthur at this point.

Killing some scraps before just sitting and idling for a while as Team Azura has to do stuff now.

This is the other, probably killer annoyance with this chapter: reinforcements. A lot of enemy reinforcements will arrive once you inch past a certain threshold on the map, and they are basically designed to pincer and punish players that try to blitzkreig this.

Arthur gets fed two more Hoshidan corpses (Or maybe not, Super Blunt Non-Lethal) for a good level. He really needs more HP than anything else, as Charlotte can attest to. Who needs defense when you just literally survive two hits no matter what?

And these sky knights appear one turn after the mages. You can see how first-timers would be blasted by this sudden uptick in forces.

Unfortunately for them, Percy just ranked to D lances and he's got a nice and shiny Beast Killer newly bought from the store.

Percy gets a +1 STR/SKL/LCK level for his excellence in bird horse murder.

Subaki is a tank, with Aegis there to try and avoid bow attacks from ending him too quickly.

This is why Aegis sucks.

Corrine vs. Subaki

Lady Corrine, I presume? The sweet, wonderful, mysterious-yet-charming big sister of Lady Sakura? It's an honor to finally make your acquaintance.
Erm... Come again?
Oh, Lady Sakura said those things about you after you two met. She wouldn't stop saying those things, as it were. Even after you left.
As her retainer, I make it my business to remember such details.
Sakura... She really said all that?
Yes. She seems to have nothing but the highest opinion of you. She was devastated after you betrayed her.
Worry not. All will be as it should once I send you to your grave. I cannot bear to ever see that sad look in her eyes again.
The one YOU caused. So, shall we begin?

Ophelia gets wall-sniping, increasing her power even further. 30/30/30 is impressive, even if one is just Luck.

Well, his speed is salvageable at this point. Just gotta wade it out a few more levels for Replicate.

After many, many turns, Corrine's team can finally start doing stuff again.

Ironically considering Birthright, Hana is possibly the most dangerous opponent I've faced yet. 37 speed, insane power, and she has Rend Heaven which takes half of the enemy's strength or magic (depending on the weapon they hold).

Two things impressive: Rend Heaven changing a paltry 6 damage into 24 (and clearly dead if it weren't for Wary Fighter) OR she can deal 6 damage to Effie after Elise's debuff PSkill.

Corrine vs. Hana

You're finally here, Lady Corrine! I am Hana, Lady Sakura's retainer. I'll have your head on a platter!
Huh?!
I could never, ever forgive you after what you did to Lady Mikoto! You tried to destroy Hoshido, and you made Lady Sakura sad... Do you have any idea how many nights she cried herself to sleep over you?! That's why I won't be satisfied... Not until I kill you myself!
Um...are you crying?
Sh-shut up! Samurai don't cry! You're just trying to distract me! I won't cry and I won't lose! You won't hurt my beloved Sakura ever again! You absolutely WILL NOT make it past me. You won't, you won't, you won't!!

After slowing down Hana with Odin's Heartseeker and Corrin's Dragonic Hex, Hana is brought down to mortal levels of being hittable for Elise to burn down.

Clean up on Hana's entourage. Goddamn, 56 HP.

Also puts into perspective that Charlotte is possibly my fastest unit and she would STILL be easily doubled by Hana. Conquest, man.

And these enemies pop out when you get in range of Sakura's staves.

And THESE enemies appear one turn after the previous reinforcements show up. Jeez.

A lot of filtering out here.

Camilla clears out the last reinforcement after a bit of battling. Wow, I didn't realize how lowish her speed was.

Charlotte killed all the others, just copy+Paste her critical hit face x10

Sakura has excellent stats, actually not that far off from the Birthright endgame. But my god, Silence/Freeze/Physic is infuriating to deal with throughout all the map.

Yes, that's Voice of Peace on Sakura.

"FINALLY WE GET TO DO SOMETHING AGAIN. AZURA JUST KEEPS SINGING AT ME"

Mostly just here for the quote.

Not as long as a wait this time for team Corrine.

Selena gets to lvl 29 for +HP/SKL/SPD/LCK. Maybe I should've put Arthur on the left side considering all the feed kills.

A quarter of the terror is over!

Odin FINALLY gets magic as his level nets him +MAG/SKL/DEF/RES

Please get to D rank shurikens already. These Bronze daggers are soooo bad.

what

uh oh

Sakura whatcha doing

...Well then. This might be a problem.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Sakura's map amuses me because you came in expecting a breather map (and I guess it kinda is, in some ways) but then she pulls this stunt and you find yourself cursing her.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
This map makes me so glad that Fates doesn't pull the "enemy reinforcements move on the turn they spawn" nonsense that Awakening and New Mystery had before it.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Next time: Somebody Dies!!!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Don't get why folks preffer conquest when it keeps pulling bs gimmicks like this. I've done both birthright and revelation on hard classic, but had to casual normal conquest and it was still a pain at times because of it. :D.

But then I'm also waiting to find out what's wrong with revelatiins once the lp gets there, I actually liked that path along with birtright.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Avalerion posted:

Don't get why folks preffer conquest when it keeps pulling bs gimmicks like this. I've done both birthright and revelation on hard classic, but had to casual normal conquest and it was still a pain at times because of it. :D.

But then I'm also waiting to find out what's wrong with revelatiins once the lp gets there, I actually liked that path along with birtright.

Because we like a challenge? If you do a more aggressive push then you can clear this map before the tide of reinforcements hits. Anyway I am pretty sure that Hana in this map is one of the most dangerous enemy units you fight in the game.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

This seems like the unfair kind of challenge though, first time its more or less guaranteed to get you. I dislike Takumi's port map for the same reason. :argh:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Okay so this is a bit annoying, I'll be honest. This ambush is triggered by being near Yukimura after several reinforcements that would naturally pull units away enough.

The one good news is that my units are positioned in a way that no one's in immediate danger.

Not a monster like Hana, but still incredibly annoying to kill because of balanced defensive stats, good enough speed, and he's on a stupid boss tile.

Though seeing us fight would have destroyed Lady Mikoto, it must be so.
This is not how I would have wanted this to end either, Yukimura. But here we are... So brace yourself!

I may talk mess about Odin's stats, but Heartseeker is seriously one of the best skills in the game for letting me kill bosses.

Also hilarious how Yuki's generic quote fits here.

Real nervous there. Only the second Brave strike from Effie managed the killing blow.

Now I could just seize the map and call it a day, but Sakura has a Spirit Dust. And also, this map pisses me off with its gotcha moments so everyone gets to die.

Selena manages a nice counter-kill off one of Sakura's groupee, getting a double level. Selena with +SKL/SPD/DEF/RES, Effie with +STR/SKL/DEF.

Ophelia easily counter-eliminates the three mages from the northeast forts. Getting to level 33 gets her +Str/MAG/DEf and Warp, finally unlocking her true potential.

This sky knight pair-up appeared right after leaving that fort, but it left just as quickly to Percy.

Ophelia teleports next to Effie to almost eliminate the last Shuriken menance. Just one more right next to Sakura.

Charlotte declared that these men are bums

"This situation needs a bit more firepower. Oh Ophelia~"

Almost done already

Sakura... I didn’t expect you to be here.
But if you insist on blocking our way, I won't back down.
I know... And I know I probably can't w-win against you, either. But as a princess, I have to at least try to protect my kingdom!
So, r-ready your sword. It's time to battle!
As you wish.
This is the first time we'll really be fighting, S-sister. I wish...we were fighting side by side instead...

Wait, didn't I fight Sakura like right after the decision...?

Azura vs. Sakura

Azura!
Sakura... I'm surprised to see you here. When did you learn to fight?
After M-Mother died, I began training, so I could protect the ones I love. I won't let anyone get past me - not even you!
I see. I always knew you would grow into a strong woman.
I'm happy to see you like this, Sakura. Whatever happens, I'm proud of you.
Azura... *sniff... sniff... * My... sister...
Don't cry, Sakura. This is a battlefield, and we are at war.
Ready your weapon, dear Sister. Show me how strong you've become.
*sniff* OK! Let's b-begin!

Well, Sakura got Mega Manned in the face.

Corrine gets to lvl 14 for +HP/MAG/SKL/DEF.

DIE. SO ANNOYING.

23 seems like a lot, and yet so little.

To fight back would be futile. Throw down your weapons and surrender! Do as I say, and the lives of all remaining soldiers will be spared!

None who remain are in any shape to continue this battle. The wisest path open to us is to surrender and live to fight another day...

You were actually the only reason why it lasted so long.

Nonsense, Lady Sakura. You fought bravely, I am quite proud of you. The same goes for you two, Subaki and Hana.
Yukimura... This cannot be happening...
*sniff* We really lost...didn't we?
Yes, I'm afraid so. But we are still alive. As long as we live, so does our cause. Let us lay down our weapons now. It's time to surrender. There's no reason for any more blood to be shed on these stones.
*sniff* Y-you're right Yukimura. It's over...

The Nohrian army has claimed this fort for our own. Surrender now and—
We heard you the first time, Crown Prince of Nohr.
Then you should have responded sooner, lest I mistake your silence for cowardice. Or do you still intend to fight the inevitable?

All remaining soldiers have been instructed to lay down their weapons. We do so in good faith that you will, at the least, spare our princess...
You have made the right choice. Your fallen queen would be proud. In return, I promise that your princess and your troops will be spared.
Soldiers! Bind the prisoners! But under no circumstances are they to be harmed!

I wonder how many people we actually killed, because I feel like the answer is 0...

Ugh...

I know it seems cruel, but this is the only way to end this awful war once and for all. I know you don't understand now... But perhaps one day...

Three...two...one...

Huh?!

All those binded, weaponless weaklings, yes

Hans! What are you doing here?!
What is the meaning of this?! You swore to spare our soldiers' lives if we surrendered!
No, please! I need to heal them right away or th-they'll... Please untie my hands! I swear I won't try to escape! PLEASE, let me help them!!
I'm afraid I cannot allow that, princess of Hoshido.
Iago!

My, how easily you seized this fort. What a truly impressive display of brute force!
King Garon will certainly shower praise upon you for this grand triumph.
I could not care less about praise right now, Iago. What is the meaning of this?!
We were just SO worried about our young princess! We came to help. Now that we're here, just leave the messy part to us.

Even if Corrine was as evil as she pretends as a front, she would still call him out for kill-stealing.

No, you monster! Those soldiers already surrendered! The battle is won! I will not allow you to take the lives of unarmed soldiers. Stand down, NOW.
Oh dear, how awkward. You may wish for us to stand down, but you see...
Die, die, DIE!!

...Where did you find Samurai and Spear Fighters at this point. There wasn't even a Spear Fighter in the mission.

NOOO! Please, stop it! Don't kill anyone else—I beg of you! *sob* Please...
That's ENOUGH, Iago! I order you to stop this madness!
drat you, insolent fool! Stop with this cruelty now, or so help me, I will kill you myself!
What?! You can't be serious, Lord Xander!

I refuse to harbor a cruel and spineless general in the proud Nohrian army.

"But only General. Retainer? Hans is a-okay"

As crown prince, I will not hesitate to strike you down for the honor of Nohr.

No... It cannot be!
Father...
My orders have been given. I will not allow anyone, even my own child, to disobey.
But, Father! Xander was just—

I don't understand, he seems like such a nice father to follow.

...Y-yes, Father.
...Under...stood.
Good. Let that be the end of it.
Liars! Cowards! Filthy Nohrian scum!

*sob* H-how could this...happen... They were supposed to be safe... This is... It's just too cruel!
You've done well, my children. Hoshido is as good as conquered. I am proud of you.
... ...

Tae fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 2, 2017

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
If nothing else, there's one thing Conquest's writing does well:

You really get to share in how INFURIATING it must feel at being so helpless to oppose King Murder Dad's rear end in a top hat orders.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah but on the flipside there's like seventeen ways they could have killed garon in this chapter alone

don't need to see how many licks it takes to get the slimedad center of a garon pop if you just have yukimura ambush him with puppets or whatever

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Tae posted:

I'm happy to see you like this, Sakura. Whatever happens, I'm proud of you.

I think this is supposed to be Azura's portrait here.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

If nothing else, there's one thing Conquest's writing does well:

You really get to share in how INFURIATING it must feel at being so helpless to oppose King Murder Dad's rear end in a top hat orders.

Boy howdy I sure bet everyone is regretting the plan 'win the war as nice as possible despite it being war and being the only people who care about not complete destruction instead of throwing a coup on Murderdad.'

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

EponymousMrYar posted:

Boy howdy I sure bet everyone is regretting the plan 'win the war as nice as possible despite it being war and being the only people who care about not complete destruction instead of throwing a coup on Murderdad.'

Eh, playing Devil's Advocate in defense of this, at least a little; the Nohrian Siblings probably have the best idea out of ANYONE just how powerful Garon really is. Let's be realistic here. Would YOU be willing to fight him? If the answer is yes, congratulations, your insides get to decorate a roughly ten-foot radius of floor.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

We're doin' it guys! We're changing the kingdom from within! :v:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

In the sense that it will have a lot less Hoshidans within it, yes. Technically murderously correct, the best kind of correct.

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

Eh, playing Devil's Advocate in defense of this, at least a little; the Nohrian Siblings probably have the best idea out of ANYONE just how powerful Garon really is. Let's be realistic here. Would YOU be willing to fight him? If the answer is yes, congratulations, your insides get to decorate a roughly ten-foot radius of floor.

Counterpoint: I'm a Freakin' Dragon.
That's at least putting me at 50/50 odds without sibling backup. With them it's kind of a sure thing.

Wait what do you mean 'what do you mean you're a freakin' dragon?'

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Wait, since when do you get to be an enemy map leader in a Fire Emblem game and not die?

Granted, the last game in the series that I played was Path of Radiance, but still.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Seyser Koze posted:

Wait, since when do you get to be an enemy map leader in a Fire Emblem game and not die?

Granted, the last game in the series that I played was Path of Radiance, but still.

Since... the first game?

(Lorenz, a stage boss, is recruitable in that game.)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Do you feel like a hero yet?

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013
I've never played this particular FE game so all I can say is ooooh man.

Scarlet's offscreen execution was one thing but I'm REALLY curious to see if the writers had the guts to make Corrine stand there and watch while Sakura and Yukimura are beheaded right in front of her.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I would say this: a later chapter does show that their action right now in not fighting back might have been the correct action. Too bad for all the wrong actions before this though.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'm about a mission or two ahead.

I almost threw my 3ds out the window at this scene because seriously, killing Garon is kinda what I want to do at this point. People are what, level 10 of their promoted classes now? Why are we still taking Garon's bullshit?

This really should have started the Nohrian civil war. You have all the Nohr Royals, Sakura and Yukumura would help you out, I'm sure you could get the rest of the Hoshido royals to help with this. This feels vaguely like the second path of Shining Force 3 where everyone is calling you a bad guy for helping Emperor Domaric but you don't really get a say in the matter.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

And remember, the point of this whole conquest isn't even technically to defeat Garon, it's simply to prove that he is evil. :downs:

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Listen you can't prove to your siblings that your father is goo monster unless you start a war and make him sit on a throne until you make thousands of war orphans ok?

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013

Avalerion posted:

And remember, the point of this whole conquest isn't even technically to defeat Garon, it's simply to prove that he is evil. :downs:

Thanks for reminding me, I had completely forgotten about this beautiful detail.

This entire plan hinges on that magical chair in Hoshido that can prove that Garon is evil or something. At least, they *think* it can. Weren't they just assuming that the chair has magical powers based on rumors they've heard? And they have to convince him to sit on it, of course. But at least once Garon does sit on it and it proves that he's evil, Xander will put his foot down and stand up to his villainous father. Like he did just now. Right?

I can't wait to see how this stupid plan works out. :allears:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Corrin was told about the magic throne when they went to Hoshido, but didn't sit on it out of paranoia entirely reasonable distrust about them being brainwashed. Instead they magically regained (some of?) their memory for Reasons, except they didn't regain all their memories because they still forgot about Silas.

Remember when Robin had amnesia for an actual reason, and what he does remember is extremely important to the plot? I miss that too.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I think the Silas thing is just plain regular forgetting some kid you used to play with when little, not amnesia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

This feels vaguely like the second path of Shining Force 3 where everyone is calling you a bad guy for helping Emperor Domaric but you don't really get a say in the matter.

Now I remember why this whole exercise in obediently following MurderDad feels so familiar :doh:

• Locked thread