Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
This is my triangle attack story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-uknVS7kJE&t=3857s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

What fuckery is going on there that the attack did x5 (or more) damage? Listed damage is only 18, and I was under the assumption Triangle Attack only made it an auto crit. Boss bar goes from ?? to 80 for reference.

On the subject of Pegasus Knights, I'm amazed anyone thinks Palla is better than Catria in this game. Catria has significantly better overall stats even at base, along with being 3 levels lower, and her growths overall are better as well. Falcon Knight's bases don't remotely fix Palla's speed issue either.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 2, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Lord Koth posted:

What fuckery is going on there that the attack did x5 (or more) damage? Listed damage is only 18, and I was under the assumption Triangle Attack only made it an auto crit. Boss bar goes from ?? to 80 for reference.

On the subject of Pegasus Knights, I'm amazed anyone thinks Palla is better than Catria in this game. Catria has significantly better overall stats even at base, along with being 3 levels lower, and her growths overall are better as well. Falcon Knight's bases don't remotely fix Palla's speed issue either.

Pierce is a skill that negates the enemy defense.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Oh, right. I'd forgotten skills were a thing in Sacred Stones. Been a long while since I've played.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

The Iron Rose posted:

Yeah. It's exclusive to wyvern knights in Sacred Stones.

It also crashed my game on the final floor of the post-game temple because it doesn't let the enemy's health drain finish before you attack again if you're using a javelin and the enemy can't hit back. If your next attack lands while the enemy's health is draining, it hard locks. You also can't do anything but reset because restarting just forces the same event to play again.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

Because my Catria never gained enough speed to double consistently, nor more strength than Palla and she had a lot less defence until Falcoknight, where she only had a little less defence.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ungulateman posted:

the game is not difficult except for the tricks, you mean

i'm just not going to play the game after getting to duma gate, i don't care if it's hypothetically beatable, it's just not fun or interesting at all seeing my entire army take random massive resistance-piercing infinite range damage that outpaces my maximum possible healing

lol, the infinite range damage attack was the thing i was happiest to see once i realized it couldn't actually kill anyone so it was a free turn

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
If you think that stage was bad the final one would make you grind your 3DS to dust.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The final one is ironically easier to deal with because you should have Tatiana's Fortify at that point.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, I can't remember any infinite range attack at all, unless we're taking about Upheaval?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Strange Quark posted:

Man, I can't remember any infinite range attack at all, unless we're taking about Upheaval?

We are.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
It does max 18 damage, usually far less. You'll be fiiiine. Just summon some invokes, physic your cleric, and then heal up next turn.

All the sages are capable of healing too so it was never a huge issue really.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Lord Koth posted:

Catria's Speed is superfluous, looking at enemies' Speed, after getting to Falcon Knight both of them will basically double/can't double the same enemies in Act 4 and 5 so Palla doesn't really have a speed issue. Like, Catria is never doubling Gargoyles and Mogalls and there are no 15-16 Spd enemies that Catria can double where Palla can't. Catria has higher Skl and Lck base, but Palla has a slightly higher Atk base and way higher Atk growth, and Skl and Lck don't matter as much.

I also used to think Catria is better too cos you know, her numbers look higher but after reading some analysis and stuff I'm convinced Palla's better.

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

conrad's support with celica is good (as good as supports in this game get anyway)

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Extra Tasty posted:

conrad's support with celica is good (as good as supports in this game get anyway)

I like that character a lot because the voice actor actually tries to make him sound different with and without the mask. Like outside of the mask he's...a decent guy :3:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Extra Tasty posted:

I have generally liked the supports in the game.

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

i think the supports are generally decent, if a little brief. it's interesting how much character's having a distinct voice that differentiates them makes a difference. very refreshing after fates.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

along with being 3 levels lower

This can be argued as being in Palla's favor, as she is 3 levels closer to promotion.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jesse's biggest weakness is how far away he is from promotion.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I find Jesse surprisingly likable so I want to use him but he was a struggle to train in my first run and I had to drop him on my second.

His 11 base Atk is the real issue though. At least Atlas has 14 and gains level quickly to raise it even more and he can match Saber and Kamui in terms of power. But Jesse is stuck with average Atk until he promotes, if ever.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

love to be moving on the map, get thrown into a random encounter that immediately opens with a unit spawning in range of the enemies and getting killed before i can do anything

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

Catria's Speed is superfluous, looking at enemies' Speed, after getting to Falcon Knight both of them will basically double/can't double the same enemies in Act 4 and 5 so Palla doesn't really have a speed issue. Like, Catria is never doubling Gargoyles and Mogalls and there are no 15-16 Spd enemies that Catria can double where Palla can't. Catria has higher Skl and Lck base, but Palla has a slightly higher Atk base and way higher Atk growth, and Skl and Lck don't matter as much.

I also used to think Catria is better too cos you know, her numbers look higher but after reading some analysis and stuff I'm convinced Palla's better.

Gargoyles in Act 4 Hard have SPD 15, so what are you talking about? Catria will hit SPD 18 within 10 levels, or 12/3 if you're promoting her immediately, going by averages, while Palla will be languishing at 14 (~1 irrelevant point before Falcon Knight, which sets her SPD to 12, and then 2 afterwards). Moreover, that additional SPD makes it much easier for her to use various lances without dropping below certain enemy thresholds, and the additional attack from even lightly forged Steels, let alone Silvers, more than make up the ATK difference - not even accounting for doubling. Catria will also hit SPD 21 in ~5 levels more, so 12/8, putting her at par with Mogalls (though not using any Wt weapon unless/until she picks up at least another point).

Terper posted:

This can be argued as being in Palla's favor, as she is 3 levels closer to promotion.

The only thing Falcon Knight really gives statistically to any of the Whitewings is HP (and a very little DEF in Est and Catria's case, or a very little SPD in Palla's), and the class skill isn't really needed in Act 3. Even without really grinding you should have no issue getting all of them up to 12+ before the end of the act. And one of the few things Palla has over both her sisters, HP, is basically made irrelevant by the giant boost the promotion gives to that stat.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
is it normal for Genny to have so much attk?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
She has 40% growth in ATK, so pretty good really.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

This guy does a better job explaining the whole Palla and Catria thing than I do; after playing with both sisters in my second run I generally agree with what he's saying so that's why I advocate it.

I mean if you think Catria's better that's fine too, it's not like they're both aren't great units

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Is there any finicky mechanics where you shouldn't grab something in Alm's route so you can grab them in Cecila or vice versa?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

No. You can pick up the Ridersbane as Celica instead of Alm but that would be very very stupid.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Tae posted:

You have knights and Clive for those.

wait you're supposed to use clive?!

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I'm gonna give all the stat boosts to Clive in this run.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Does the advice to promote ASAP also apply to class changing your villagers?

Also what's the idea with the pitchfork, any reason I would want to make someone else a villager?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Avalerion posted:

Does the advice to promote ASAP also apply to class changing your villagers?

Also what's the idea with the pitchfork, any reason I would want to make someone else a villager?

yes

to promote them into a different class chain

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
more dreadlords

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ruggington posted:

I used Clive. He kept getting defence so his main purpose was baiting enemies for his Girlfriend to kill.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Why would not use any character, most of the game they're all deployed.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tae posted:

The only time I didn't was on some of Celica's hellmaps in the swamps where everyone turned into a blob that couldn't move if they were all deployed.

Also loving hell Celica, you should gain more than 4 move at some point.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I'm not deploying Valbar whenever Witches are around

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zore posted:

The only time I didn't was on some of Celica's hellmaps in the swamps where everyone turned into a blob that couldn't move if they were all deployed.

Also loving hell Celica, you should gain more than 4 move at some point.

I gave her the boots.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Tae posted:

just because im served a turd doesnt mean i have to eat it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ruggington posted:

clive has an important position as support for mathilda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oops, I 2RKO'd the boss of Thabes.