Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Happy Birthday kid, here have a ton of the food that caused you to rampage and murder a giant that one time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

Fun fact: This segment of Dvorak's 9th Symphony is a favorite of Luffy's voice actress, hence why it got used in the anime. It was used again as a theme for a major villain in another show where she played the lead character, Gaiking: Legend of Daikyu Maryu.

That's super cool I didn't know that! The voice acting and music in the show are amazing and literally the only reason to watch it most times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_92qM_6-2o

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Plutonis posted:

Yeah I think Cipher Pol is the only organization that is full of shitheads while than the rest of WG like the Navy and Impel Down has probably more decent people than bad ones. Hell every single of their appearances has them doing insanely evil poo poo like wiping out Ohara, deceiving Iceburg to steal Tom's blueprints, taking Gild Tesoro's bribes to the Tenryuubito...

I don't know about that. Every level in Impel Down was full of unspeakable tortures, and Magellan would routinely execute inmates for no reason.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Eustace posted:

I don't know about that. Every level in Impel Down was full of unspeakable tortures, and Magellan would routinely execute inmates for no reason.

I don't think he did, I think that was just Shiryu and that's why M-Bomb locked him up too.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The Viz translation is pretty good, but there are a few odd translations of words. Why is the Polyglyph/Poneglyph spelt Ponegliff? What in the hell prompted that spelling? It's covered in glyphs, not gliffs.

Reading through the thread and yeah I agree with this so much. I don't mind Zolo or even Teech but goddamn how could they think gliff over glyph was okay? At least it's pretty uncommon

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I don't think he did, I think that was just Shiryu and that's why M-Bomb locked him up too.

No, he had several scenes where he covered prisoners or his own men in poison and left them to die. In general the WG/Marines are pretty lovely and the not-so-lovely ones are more the exception than the norm.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Maybe it was non-lethal poison, he does have a range! I'll be warden! I mean I believe in Megellan-san!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

randomly killing inmates is specifically why shiryu got locked up, yea

magellan did poison some level 6 people intentionally, tho I think any guards were just caught in the crossfire between him and luffy rather than intentional

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I know it was anime only but I hope we get one of these scenes soon. Big Mom mentions Roger reading her Poneglyph so maybe she'll be the source of one.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
SHE ATE THEM ALL.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

randomly killing inmates is specifically why shiryu got locked up, yea

magellan did poison some level 6 people intentionally, tho I think any guards were just caught in the crossfire between him and luffy rather than intentional

Plus Level 6 is purely a case of 'we're either about to kill you, have no easy way to kill you, or give zero shits about whether you live or die', so I'd guess the inmates there are pretty fair game.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jesus that was a dark chapter.

And honestly, like all good flashbacks, I cried a bit at the end. She had no idea what she had done. She may be a literal monster, but she's also just a child who doesn't know why her family disappeared- even now.

And she did eat them. Carmel left the goldmine that was Elbaf just for how much she thought Linlin was worth. At no point was she going to willingly abandon Linlin. It wasn't some excuse to run away with the other kids, or any sort of plan. Carmel's tattered habit is there on the ground, and her devil fruit ability is in Linlin now. It's unambiguous. The vague way of stating it is just to emphasize Linlin's perspective as a confused child.

Comparisons to Rocinante miss the scale of the World Government. Carmel was, at one point, on the run from the Marines. She's an illegal underworld dealer. She's actually from Doflamingo's world, not Rocinante's. That she deals with the World Government (like Doflamingo later would) is a sign of how hosed up CP0 is.

This story is really interesting and unique in that it's so absolutely terrible, and yet I'm still nothing but sympathetic to child Linlin. She later developed cruel traits, and she never developed a proper sense of empathy that might restrain her worst impulses, but as a kid she was just an absurdly powerful child who no one could control, and who had no way of controlling herself.

I'm a bit worried that the message in the end is going to be that she needed a good beating, and that Luffy defeating her will in some way help her. Though I suppose her sense of being all powerful isn't exactly helping her be an understanding or considerate person. Her most irredeemable trait is that she treats people who she has power over, including her children, like poo poo. That didn't come from her childhood directly, but may be related to her total lack of exposure to any sort of effective discipline.

Thinking about her later life, it's sweet that her goal is still to have all sorts of people live together... but it's a bit odd that she was horrified by Purrin's third eye, when she's otherwise really excited by and interested in different and strange people (like Brook). It's also interesting how she became a successfully Machiavellian organizer. She's still got her childish tantruming side, but she also tried to fairly and intelligently negotiate with Luffy a few times, and she's organized a huge kingdom that's largely benevolent (even if her family is ruled by fear). I'm really curious how Linlin became Big Mom. Like how she learned the skills to run a successful pirate crew and later country, and how she started her family and raised her first few kids. Probably not going to get another flashback for that, but it's fascinating to imagine.

Big Mom is shaping up to be one of my favorite One Piece villains.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Eiba posted:

she's organized a huge kingdom that's largely benevolent (even if her family is ruled by fear).

No one is allowed to leave. And they have to give up chunks of their life span to stay.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Eiba posted:

Thinking about her later life, it's sweet that her goal is still to have all sorts of people live together... but it's a bit odd that she was horrified by Purrin's third eye, when she's otherwise really excited by and interested in different and strange people (like Brook).

I didn't read her as actually horrified by Pudding. It seemed to me that Pudding took her comment more seriously than she intended it. Maybe I'm just looking too hard for nuance in translated shonen manga dialogue, though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

She's not horrified by it she just thinks it's ugly which is pretty lovely but different.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
It's consistent with her trying to fix the other kids. Once she learned that they were different kinds of people and were meant to be that way, she understood. But Pudding is human. She isn't meant to have a third eye.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Adder Moray posted:

It's consistent with her trying to fix the other kids. Once she learned that they were different kinds of people and were meant to be that way, she understood. But Pudding is human. She isn't meant to have a third eye.

Actually, odds on that trait being an expression of her own self-loathing? It seems like a possibility, but not one we have a huge amount of evidence for yet.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'd assumed she intentionally had Pudding with someone who had three eyes or had those genetics in order to read her Road Poneglyph like Roger did. She mentions that's her plan for Pudding so I'd assumed she'd intentionally had her.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Moltrey posted:

The treatment of Mr. 2 as a character was the most early 2000's rear end thing and I was sucking air through my teeth like the whole time, but I'm glad he was the one of Baroque Works to have a good heart, enough that most of the group likes him and strong enough to go kick for kick against Sanji. Mr. 2 in the Straw Hats when?

Maybe Im an ignorant white guy but I thought Mr2 and Ivankov were good characters.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
One Piece can get pretty dark but I think Big Mom going into a rampage as a child and literally eating her adoptive family isn't something the editors of a children's comic would give the ok to.

The kids probably ran from the rampage and got caught by CP0 or the Marines before they all got the gently caress out of there.:ohdear:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, Big Mom seems to be a really tragic villain, not just in the sense that she had a lovely past but more like, she was born with so much against her. Insanely powerful with rampages that she can't really control. The odds were stacked against her from the beginning. Even though she wasn't born evil or cruel, it seems like life steered her on a path that prevented her from getting the guidance she needed. Like the title of the previous chapter pretty much lays it out. NATURAL BORN DESTROYER.

It's all so fascinating and Big Mom has pretty much become one of my favorite One Piece villains, if not favorite. I'd really love to have a few more glimpses into how Linlin became Big Mom.

I'm very eager to see how she goes down, too.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Once they realize that Big Mom just has a severe and terrifying chronic case of monster diabetes, they'll be able to get her some pirate insulin or something.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also another thing I really love about Oda and flashbacks is that we don't just get the character's flashback, we also get to see glimpses of other characters too.

Like seeing Drake's childhood (actually he was like 18 at the time or something if I recall so I guess childhood doesn't quite describe it) in Law's childhood, and how their two lives intertwined. Like, Law probably doesn't know, but Drake running away from his dad to the Marines saved his life. The two never met, but their lives had a profound impact on each other.

It's also neat to find out that John Giant was the very first giant to become a marine, especially since he's the very first giant marine you see in the series. Though who names their kid John Giant????

Though given that John Giant seems legit loyal to the Marines, he probably wasn't sold in a conventional way. Might be Mother Carmel just encouraged him to join the Marines and he agreed to because he respected her or something.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Crazyeyes posted:

Yes, Jack is a fishman.

Also warming to the idea of Caramel being the old lady with Weevil.

Carmel can't be Bakkin (or alive), because Big Mom has Carmel's fruit power.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Hate-Senpai posted:

It's also neat to find out that John Giant was the very first giant to become a marine, especially since he's the very first giant marine you see in the series. Though who names their kid John Giant????

Probably just named John with no last name, since he's an orphan. They just used Giant as his last name.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Kegslayer posted:

One Piece can get pretty dark but I think Big Mom going into a rampage as a child and literally eating her adoptive family isn't something the editors of a children's comic would give the ok to.

The kids probably ran from the rampage and got caught by CP0 or the Marines before they all got the gently caress out of there.:ohdear:

I don't agree. I think this would be more likely if Big Mom -did- think she ate them. Then it would work better later as an emotional reveal that they're actually still okay. I mean, the flashback literally ends with Big Mom wondering what happened to everyone as the comic focus on her huge, gaping mouth. This is a character we were first introduced to eating one of her underlings. This is a character regularly shown to eat food that has souls in it. They definitely would never -show- her eating other people, which is why the implication is there. Oda's done basically all he can do in a children's comic to show that she ate them all outside of actually showing it.

The tragedy of Big Mom is that she doesn't realize how destructive she is. She doesn't realize precisely how horrible the things she's done are. In this very arc we've seen that people still don't want to tell her that she's the one responsible for nearly destroying her own city.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

while i think big mom ate carmel, if any power had to be transferable i would guess it would be the soul one...

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Also because she'd be like 150 years old

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZiegeDame posted:

Also because she'd be like 150 years old

Guess what the Soul Soul Fruit does.

(I still think Big Mom ate Carmel, but were Carmel alive, age wouldn't really be an issue with the Soul Soul Fruit's abilities.)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also Dr. Kureha is like 140 or something and she's still fine.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

carmel isn't alive because big mom ate her.

I think Linlin might be one of the most frightening villains we've encountered.. she's not really smart enough to understand how evil she is.. she totally has a "banality of evil" thing going on.

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
If she ate Caramel then we're one more step closer to my insane theory of Chopper being a titan shifter.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Viridiant posted:

The tragedy of Big Mom is that she doesn't realize how destructive she is. She doesn't realize precisely how horrible the things she's done are. In this very arc we've seen that people still don't want to tell her that she's the one responsible for nearly destroying her own city.

Well that is kind of not true anymore as everyone is terrified of her temper even when she is not in a rampage. She forces people to give chunks of their soul to her, and has her minions kill and rob people for trivial reasons like wanting fruit from some island. Or how she murders anyone that tries to leave or crew, and murders the relatives of anyone that refuses her invitations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hate-Senpai posted:

Though given that John Giant seems legit loyal to the Marines, he probably wasn't sold in a conventional way. Might be Mother Carmel just encouraged him to join the Marines and he agreed to because he respected her or something.

She sells them to someone and then that person/group adopts the kid. The adoptions were mentioned in the chapter. The newly adopted orphans will of course be eager to please the people who took them in and it's not like the Marines really need to do brain washing on some kids to get them to want to be good guys.

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Or, Big Mom and Momma Carmel have hierarchy linked devil fruits. We saw a Prometheus type sun get created, but the name of the fruit and the method were not spelled out.

Big Mom could have totally eaten all the kids, but I think the odds are against it. If nothing else, if simply eating someone who ate a Devil Fruit gave you their powers there would be way more cannibals in the story. Plus the kids were acting uncharacteristically nice to Lin Lin for her birthday and Caramel was just talking about selling everyone off and Verbal Kenting her way into the wind. Also that flashback took place something like 58 years ago, more than enough time for a nearly unstoppable force of gluttony like Lin Lin to track down a Devil Fruit. Blackbeard tracked down a Devil Fruit in 40 years doing it passive as gently caress.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 2, 2017

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
In a comic where people drink people (and giraffe) smoothies I can see the character who has been shown to be a freaking cannibal to, maybe, just maybe, eat people.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

So she ate her "mom" and got her "mom's" devil fruit power.

Cool and funny and messed the gently caress up.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

So she ate her "mom" and got her "mom's" devil fruit power.

Cool and funny and messed the gently caress up.

beating the boss makes you big boss; eating your mom makes you big mom

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm pretty sure Oda has specifically nixed the cannibalism gives you fruit abilities angle.

So Linlin found the new fruit after eating Carmel and the orphans.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

The cannibalism angle makes the most sense, it's just not the direction One Piece has really gone before I think. But then again Big Mom's arc felt like new territory in many ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nihilarian posted:

I'm pretty sure Oda has specifically nixed the cannibalism gives you fruit abilities angle.

So Linlin found the new fruit after eating Carmel and the orphans.

There was probably a cherry on top of the croquembouche.