Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

oh, duh

yeah reddit's bad, it's like you took a room full of 22 year old CS majors and used a machine to suck all the humor out of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

skylined! posted:

it's amazing how much you learn as you grow older, especially about yourself

for instance i did not know that I thought dennis leary was such a piece of poo poo.

Eh...Leary is kind of like Bill Burr. Both of them will at least give thought to progressivism (especially Burr) while maintaining their abrasive white dude from Northeastern City personas.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

skylined! posted:

it's amazing how much you learn as you grow older, especially about yourself

for instance i did not know that I thought dennis leary was such a piece of poo poo.

Its bizarre that in singing a song about being an rear end in a top hat, he would say assholish things. Must be what he genuinely thinks.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Arrgytehpirate posted:

West Virginians are loving stupid and so hard for coal.

Source: West Virginian.

https://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/status/870401414903734273

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm going to the Darrell Issa town hall this Saturday, taking my pissed off feminist 15 year old daughter. Hope she can ask him a few questions.

Also laughing at all of the articles saying he's going to be on easy street because it's being held in San Juan Capistrano. Plenty of my neighbors are either liberal as hell or republicans that think Issa and Trump are scumbags.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Mr Interweb posted:

Google has a division in/near Play Del Rey? :monocle:

looks like Silicon Beach actually became a thing

https://la.curbed.com/2016/6/6/11872300/playa-vista-google-spruce-goose

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

:O Coolness. Finally, it's Mr. Interweb's time to shine.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
What accomplishments can Trump cite? Are there really any other than his undoing with his magic pen what others put a lot of actual effort into? I look at this Paris withdrawal and say what you want about it being symbolic or having no teeth or what have you, but it's seems like really tough work to have some sort of consensus across virtually every nation. Trump seems to be like that kid that is all proud of himself knocking down sandcastles he's found on the beach. Has he built any as President? (maybe if that wall every happens)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Jon Ossoff is up by 1 in latest GA-6 poll.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Rip Testes posted:

What accomplishments can Trump cite? Are there really any other than his undoing with his magic pen what others put a lot of actual effort into? I look at this Paris withdrawal and say what you want about it being symbolic or having no teeth or what have you, but it's seems like really tough work to have some sort of consensus across virtually every nation. Trump seems to be like that kid that is all proud of himself knocking down sandcastles he's found on the beach. Has he built any as President? (maybe if that wall every happens)

So far all he's done is continually piss money to gas his golf trips and to touch an orb.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
It's still his first (real*)100 days**, give him a chance.

*Adjusted due to weekend golf trips. LOL at hardest working m-f t-th, 9-5 10-4 boss.

**dog days.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Jon Ossoff is up by 1 in latest GA-6 poll.

Is that better than his other polls or is he sliding?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Mystic Mongol posted:

Lowest Common Denominator. The Hoi Palloi. The Great Unwashed!
That's not actually what lowest common denominator means.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My God if that isn't the coolest loving building to reclaim for high-tech loft space :monocle:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

business hammocks posted:

Is that better than his other polls or is he sliding?

I thought he was up by 8 at one point. I know he's been up by more than 1 in previous polls.

Not looking good.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Krispy Kareem posted:

California will probably hire insurers to administer the program, so it will be no different than any other Fortune 30 company that self pays.

For small business and individual plans, insurance companies take in premiums and pay out claims. For larger accounts insurers just do all the paperwork and negotiate the best rates. California might be big enough to negotiate on its own, but since hospitals are owned by national corporations and drugs are sold by multi-national, Cali will probably still need extra help negotiating deals.

You know California has more people then the entire country of Canada? They have plenty of pull to negotiate.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

I thought he was up by 8 at one point. I know he's been up by more than 1 in previous polls.

Not looking good.

That was only one poll, as far as I recall. I think most have had it as a 50/50 between Ossof and Handel.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Office Pig posted:

That was only one poll, as far as I recall. I think most have had it as a 50/50 between Ossof and Handel.

Most have had him leading slightly but it very close.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

stone cold posted:

yeop

also there's a healthy dose of that "how can I shove myself into your whole scene," kind of reminds me of the people who insist the a in LGBTQIA stands for allies not ace people

which is like

gently caress off what the gently caress kind of ally are you

Hey fyi you're incredibly wrong about this ally vs. asexual thing. Most of the people who prefer A = ally are actually, y'know, gay or trans people who have a vested interest in the intracommunity politics of it, not "allies" at all. It's way too long to get into in significant dept but the basic break down is this: 1. People who are asexual but also hetero and cisgender benefit from both straight and cis privilege. Allowing them into the community gives them access to specific intracommunity resources (scholarships, beds at homeless shelters, etc.) that are specifically set aside for people who are actually oppressed under these axes. 2. "Ally" is a cover term often for questioning people who want to be able to explore their identity without being subject to the negative societal impacts that openly identifying as queer/trans subject you to (especially those in unsafe situations). 3. The term asexual has been ridiculously diluted and does not mean, as one thinking about the terms "homosexual" and "bisexual" would think, that a person who is ace is not attracted to anybody, but rather means that the person does not experience "sexual attraction" (i.e. want to have sex), which is not an axis of oppression. 4. This dilution has led to the blatantly homophobic "split attraction model" which encourages individuals to engage in internalized homophobia (e.g. "I'm bisexual but heteroromantic because I could never picture myself dating someone of the same sex, only loving them").

There's more to this but it's not straight people trying to exclude ace people; it's gay people trying to keep straight people out of their community, which is exclusive by necessity.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rip Testes posted:

Trump seems to be like that kid that is all proud of himself knocking down sandcastles he's found on the beach. Has he built any as President? (maybe if that wall every happens)

Apparently he would literally do this as a child, so....

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Timeless Appeal posted:

That's not actually what lowest common denominator means.

It's how it's used in common parlance.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rip Testes posted:

He doesn't even have his drat cabinet together yet. He can cite somewhere between "gently caress all" and "said some words."

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Rip Testes posted:

Little legislation has actually been created of note. Most of what he's done is tear stuff down not build it up. Tearing stuff down is pretty easy. Creating new stuff is hard.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Rip Testes posted:

What accomplishments can Trump cite?

He can cite that he made a profit from being president.
And that he undone everything Obama did (still a work in progress but soon).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rip Testes posted:

What accomplishments can Trump cite?
Gorsuch. Yeah, I know it's actually the result of Senate Republicans being dickheads but it's a concrete thing that happened on his watch.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Most have had him leading slightly but it very close.

I got ALERTS about it (for fundraising, of course), but him being up by one to two seems to be the norm.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Gorsuch. Yeah, I know it's actually the result of Senate Republicans being dickheads but it's a concrete thing that happened on his watch.

Yeah, I thought about Gorsuch.

I guess some folks can argue the Carrier jobs 'saved', some stuff about the F-35 and AF1 being cheaper, some Saudi arms deals(?) and whatever measly stuff that were these Vietnam trade deals? Am I missing others? Also, legitimacy aside, is it normal for a President to be involved in national and international business deal making?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Rip Testes posted:

Yeah, I thought about Gorsuch.

I guess some folks can argue the Carrier jobs 'saved', some stuff about the F-35 and AF1 being cheaper, some Saudi arms deals(?) and whatever measly stuff that were these Vietnam trade deals? Am I missing others? Also, legitimacy aside, is it normal for a President to be involved in national and international business deal making?

About those Carrier jobs....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2017/05/30/carrier-lay-off-600-employees-starting-summer/356368001/

Dirt
May 26, 2003

^^^
Pretty sure Carrier said they were cutting all those jobs anyway just the other day.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Pages and pages ago, but whatever.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's called a mudroom. Lots of people in the country have them.

They are generally a tiled area and room that leads into the house proper where people can store their jackets and boots. The tiles make it easier to clean and since their boots are often muddy from a day of laboring, the area became known as a "mudroom."

There is a CRT television, a man, a reclining sofa, and a buffalo in the mudroom.

> Take Buffalo
You can't take that.
> Talk Man
What do you say?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ugh, this interview between Ben Ferguson and Ted Nugent about the Kathy Griffin thing demonstrates how both are utter pieces of poo poo:

http://600wrec.iheart.com/onair/the-ben-ferguson-show-56740/ted-nugent-on-ben-ferguson-show-15875926/

They talk for 17 minutes and Ben does not mention once to the audience exactly what Nugent actually said. Nugent himself just denies that he did anything wrong period and that because the SS didn't think he said anything that constituted a threat, it's totally cool. But probably the best part was when Nugent tried to say he never said he wanted anyone dead:

"I never suggested anybody get hung except for the one time after Benghazi where I recommended Hillary be charged, arrested, tried and hung" - actual Ted Nugent quote

So I guess it's not a big deal if you ONLY suggest someone getting hung ONE time?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Dear California, please raise my taxes for this. Want.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

socialsecurity posted:

You know California has more people then the entire country of Canada? They have plenty of pull to negotiate.

California's single payer concept probably won't work unless they lower costs. Canada's works because medical care is half as expensive. So Cali has to massively raise taxes or negotiate deals better than anyone else for their plan to work. And big pharma and hospitals know every other state is going to want whatever great deal California gets, so they aren't going to cut prices easily.

Every other single payer system has a national government dictating the terms. I'm not sure an individual state has that much leverage. Even California.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Look, he said save jobs. He didn't say for how long. Clearly its their fault for being let go!

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Pretty legit throwback Thursday.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Mr Interweb posted:

Ugh, this interview between Ben Ferguson and Ted Nugent about the Kathy Griffin thing demonstrates how both are utter pieces of poo poo:

http://600wrec.iheart.com/onair/the-ben-ferguson-show-56740/ted-nugent-on-ben-ferguson-show-15875926/

They talk for 17 minutes and Ben does not mention once to the audience exactly what Nugent actually said. Nugent himself just denies that he did anything wrong period and that because the SS didn't think he said anything that constituted a threat, it's totally cool. But probably the best part was when Nugent tried to say he never said he wanted anyone dead:

"I never suggested anybody get hung except for the one time after Benghazi where I recommended Hillary be charged, arrested, tried and hung" - actual Ted Nugent quote

So I guess it's not a big deal if you ONLY suggest someone getting hung ONE time?

He should be hanged for thinking hung is the past tense of hanging.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

California's single payer concept probably won't work unless they lower costs. Canada's works because medical care is half as expensive. So Cali has to massively raise taxes or negotiate deals better than anyone else for their plan to work. And big pharma and hospitals know every other state is going to want whatever great deal California gets, so they aren't going to cut prices easily.

Every other single payer system has a national government dictating the terms. I'm not sure an individual state has that much leverage. Even California.

Canada is a tiny country of insignificant political and purchasing power. Even compared to a single state like California. I dont think its going to be as difficult as you think.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Here we go:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/01/politics/trump-travel-ban-supreme-court/index.html

quote:

The Trump administration Thursday night asked the Supreme Court to reinstate its travel ban blocking entry from six Muslim-majority countries.

In its filing, the administration asked the nine justices to consider the legality of President Donald Trump's executive order, a move that appeals a ruling by the 4th Circuit that upheld a nationwide halt to the ban.

I kind of hope that the Supreme Court refuses to hear the case, just for the meltdown Trump would have. Or that it gets dunked on by every sitting justice.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Furnaceface posted:

Canada is a tiny country of insignificant political and purchasing power. Even compared to a single state like California. I dont think its going to be as difficult as you think.

California is fairly insignificant compared to the rest of the US market, however. It's a huge state, but it's still only about 13% of US total GDP, which is roughly equivalent to other regions of similar geographic size/population. I'm not saying it won't work and I sure as hell hope that it does, but it's going to be a complex situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

TildeATH posted:

He should be hanged for thinking hung is the past tense of hanging.

They said you was hung!

• Locked thread