Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

TwoPair posted:

Wonder Woman Annual: Wonder Woman has just revealed herself to the world so naturally ol' paranoid Batman's on a stakeout to make sure she's not a threat.

World's Greatest Detective

I like the follow up bit.

While holding the lasso of truth Superman introduces himself as Clark Kent, while holding the lasso Batman introduces himself as Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

His middle name was Christopher, he's a priest. No idea why he changed his name from Jim Owsley, but whatever reason he had that's a pretty easy jump.

He got divorced. He said "If I ever get divorced I will become a priest.' So that's why the name change. Incidentally, he now claims he never said any of this but I was at a panel where he recounted the story so I don't know what his problem is. Also, James Owsley is not his original name either.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

He got divorced. He said "If I ever get divorced I will become a priest.' So that's why the name change. Incidentally, he now claims he never said any of this but I was at a panel where he recounted the story so I don't know what his problem is. Also, James Owsley is not his original name either.

My working assumption for the name change was that his dad was also named James Owsley and he hates his dad, but if that's not his original name I have no clue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

My working assumption for the name change was that his dad was also named James Owsley and he hates his dad, but if that's not his original name I have no clue.

The story goes is that Shooter was a massive influence on Owsley so he changed his name to James in tribute to his mentor a the time. I have heard this told by numerous people, including Shooter. Shooter's version is funny, someone told him that "hey, this guy named himself after you" and Shooter says "Why would you change your name to rear end in a top hat?"

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

If I had the same name as another even mildly famous person in my general field I would give up immediately and rename myself.

That's what middle names and initials are for. Not much help if they got incredibly famous right when you were around 2 years old though.

Trust me on this one :sigh:

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Bucnasti posted:

While holding the lasso of truth Superman introduces himself as Clark Kent, while holding the lasso Batman introduces himself as Batman.

Well he's not lying.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
It very much reminds me of this bit in Batman Beyond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ceca1JCRQbA

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Bucnasti posted:

That's either a photoshop or some very bad lettering.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
The last Batman comic

Batman #249

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

SilverSupernova posted:

Well he's not lying.

Isn't always the case with him? I'm pretty sure there was an episode of Batman Beyond where the villain tried to make him think he was crazy by projecting voices only he could hear. He later told Terryville that he knew it wasn't actually in his head because the voices called him "Bruce."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gnome de plume posted:

It very much reminds me of this bit in Batman Beyond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ceca1JCRQbA

Bruce and Terry are such good friends. :3:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Keeshhound posted:

Isn't always the case with him? I'm pretty sure there was an episode of Batman Beyond where the villain tried to make him think he was crazy by projecting voices only he could hear. He later told Terryville that he knew it wasn't actually in his head because the voices called him "Bruce."

:colbert:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Well, that'll teach me to refresh before posting.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Missed opportunity not calling him Kryptzarro.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I found the Ugly American from Batman and this is even more awkward than the preceding "heroin is bad" Black Spider comic.

He's a crazy racist patriot who was made even more racist as part of a CIA supersoldier program, but they were too effective and now he's killing people who drive foreign cars and blindly attacking anyone who isn't white.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

chitoryu12 posted:

I found the Ugly American from Batman and this is even more awkward than the preceding "heroin is bad" Black Spider comic.

He's a crazy racist patriot who was made even more racist as part of a CIA supersoldier program, but they were too effective and now he's killing people who drive foreign cars and blindly attacking anyone who isn't white.
God I love Batman comics

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Attorney General Sessions just had a tiny orgasm.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

They found out their conditioning was too good when he tried to kill his handler for being black.

It ends with Batman decking the CIA agent who terminated him, stealing the file on the project from their car, and giving it to the guy's daughter along with the number of an anti-government lawyer so she can file a lawsuit.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

No wonder he's pissed all the time, having to drink nothing but American Beer :shudder:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Apparently Alan Grant was very big on political commentary. First heroin, then xenophobia, now this:

All in the same collection, Shadow of the Bat.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I thought he'd tucked his head halfway into his tshirt in the last panel on first glance, for added intimidation :o:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
What kind of sad state was the economy in that Nuke had to pick up a side gig just to make ends meet?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That crotch to ribs endless wasteland of bunched denim #aesthetic

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

I am sad the KGBeast didn't make a comeback specifically to fight this guy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Section Z posted:

I am sad the KGBeast didn't make a comeback specifically to fight this guy.

Unfortunately he gets terminated by the CIA at the end of the comic after Batman stops him from murdering his son-in-law for being Korean.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Retro Futurist posted:

No wonder he's pissed all the time, having to drink nothing but American Beer :shudder:

This would be a good joke if it was still the 90s. American craft beers blow 99% of the foreign imports we get out of the water these days. Unless of course you're not american yourself and only know budweiser and it's equivalents.

It's me, I'm the ugly american.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

This would be a good joke if it was still the 90s. American craft beers blow 99% of the foreign imports we get out of the water these days. Unless of course you're not american yourself and only know budweiser and it's equivalents.

When American people say they want "an American beer" they mean Bud Light or something similar. If they want a craft beer they'll ask for a specific varietal.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Big part of the American craft brewer revolution was just returning to conventional European styles anyway. "American beer" as defined pre-1990s was its own 'invention' inasmuch as they were mainly lovely pilseners with all the flavor removed in order to facilitate more rapid consumption.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

And of course all the big "American" beers are owned by foreign corporations now. :911:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Well that was written before the 90s so there :colbert:

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Retro Futurist posted:

Well that was written before the 90s so there :colbert:

Yeah right after I posted that I realized that comic was probably 80s. I could post a lot more arguing about types of beer but this obviously isn't the thread for it.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Yeah right after I posted that I realized that comic was probably 80s. I could post a lot more arguing about types of beer but this obviously isn't the thread for it.

Only if you have appropriate Wolverine panels through which to make your arguments.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AfroSquirrel posted:

Only if you have appropriate Wolverine panels through which to make your arguments.

Uh-oh. This doesn't look like a microbrew. :ohdear:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

Uh-oh. This doesn't look like a microbrew. :ohdear:

Spilling half the Bud down your shirt so it doesn't go in your mouth. A clever Canadian.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Phy posted:

Spilling half the Bud down your shirt so it doesn't go in your mouth. A clever Canadian.

It's a classic stratagem.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I think it's 1993 at the latest.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

It's a classic stratagem.

Was shotgunning beer to Steve Austin what scarfing down spinach was to Popeye?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Lobok posted:

Was shotgunning beer to Steve Austin what scarfing down spinach was to Popeye?

Sadly, no, it was usually post-match theatrics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

howe_sam posted:

And of course all the big "American" beers are owned by foreign corporations now. :911:
Molson Coors is still incorporated in the US, though control is split between the Molson and Coors families.