Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

I recall seeing an awful lot of white liberals making a stink and not a lot of asian americans giving two shits.

You just need to know where to look. GITS, for instance, got stuff like this, and Lavigne got a fair number of Asian-American columnists yelling at her (a few examples). It's worth remembering that America is a majority-white country where white people's opinions get prioritised in the media and elsewhere, so if you don't see much commentary from Asian-Americans, it's not necessarily because they don't have something to say.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

those articles are trash

avril lavigne should play christina in the 0080 live action film

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

GulagDolls posted:

its canon now, due to being the best

While that may be true, until there is an Origins Zeta I will have to continue to consider Origins as non-canon. Sorry,
I just have an anime crush on both Amuro and Kamile.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think there might be a Zeta manga that follows Origin, but it's neither by Yas or particularly good so who cares.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What I really want is a F91 remake by Yas. With no Crossbone Gundam stuff.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

When I finished reading The Origin I followed it up with Zeta: A New Translation. :twisted:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is it advance of Zeta that follows stardust memory? The amount of spinoff comics is bewildering at times

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is it advance of Zeta that follows stardust memory? The amount of spinoff comics is bewildering at times
I make it no secret that I've given up trying to comprehend the One Year War to Zeta/ZZ period of the Universal Century outside of the animated material, because Jesus loving Yamato on a Haro have they milked that one section of the franchise to hell and back and back again. It is absolutely insane, even if some of the mechs to come out of the glut of side stories look cool.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Interesting tidbit: the current Gundam dubbing studio is NYAV Post. While watching Unicorn and Origin, I kept hearing Liam O'Brien and Keith Silverstein pop up and I knew I'd heard them somewhere else before. Turns out the same studio worked with Obsidian to do voiceover work for Fallout: New Vegas.

While I'll always be an Ocean Group/Blue Water fan at heart, these guys are good in my book. Also, looking up stuff on the Ocean Group and their various deals with Bandai/Saban/Westwood and all the different dubs of shows they made is almost as convoluted as Gundam manga series. So like, Ocean dubs 0079 in Vancouver, then Blue Water in Calgary dubs Zeta, then they collaborate on video game dubs, and then they farm out their VA talent for the OVA dubs to other companies. And they only went to Blue Water because their main voice actors were on strike at Ocean, so Blue Water was their B-team.
And that's just Gundam. Trying to work out their role in the Dragon Ball dubbing morass is insane.

Jerome Scuggs
Feb 13, 2007
Rolodex Propaganda

Darth Walrus posted:

You may enjoy the section of the old thread starting here.

I only recently stumbled into this part of the forums (d&d lurker fwiw) and this, this is the poo poo that gives me a boner. Still megalurking but I guess I should ask, is this thread or the gunpla thread better for general war machine nerd fanboy poo poo, especially in regards to the eternally gorgeous Zaku II? I'll probably stumble across more posts like that as I continue to lurk but if you have any more quick links, that would be awesome

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jerome Scuggs posted:

I only recently stumbled into this part of the forums (d&d lurker fwiw) and this, this is the poo poo that gives me a boner. Still megalurking but I guess I should ask, is this thread or the gunpla thread better for general war machine nerd fanboy poo poo, especially in regards to the eternally gorgeous Zaku II? I'll probably stumble across more posts like that as I continue to lurk but if you have any more quick links, that would be awesome

Yeah, we talk a lot about mechanical design here (with varying degrees of seriousness, of course). For a start, here's me rating Zakus. I also did this effortpost on the Graze from IBO here, and started a general chat about the narrative symbolism of mobile suit design with effortposts on the S2 IBO Gundams starting here, which got us talking about a bunch of different suits from all over the franchise.

For a change of pace, there's also SeanBeanShako's Gundam uniform reviews, starting here.

Jerome Scuggs
Feb 13, 2007
Rolodex Propaganda

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, we talk a lot about mechanical design here (with varying degrees of seriousness, of course). For a start, here's me rating Zakus. I also did this effortpost on the Graze from IBO here, and started a general chat about the narrative symbolism of mobile suit design with effortposts on the S2 IBO Gundams starting here, which got us talking about a bunch of different suits from all over the franchise.

For a change of pace, there's also SeanBeanShako's Gundam uniform reviews, starting here.

This is loving awesome

I haven't seen IBO yet, I tend to focus on UC series, but that writeup on the Graze captured exactly the sentiment I was looking for - the little things, the attention to detail, the evolution of mobile suits in response to perceived needs, etc. Thanks for these links, I can't wait to waste my life making effortposts about the brilliance of the offset Zaku cockpit.

The one thing I still spend lots of time thinking about is pilot controls. The first episode of Gundam Unicorn had that awesome scene with the pilot rapidly tapping buttons on the joystick to cycle through the weaponry, but I'm still fuzzy as to how mobile suits achieve full human articulation with merely pedals and joysticks (assuming of course no psycho-frame or whatever)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jerome Scuggs posted:

This is loving awesome

I haven't seen IBO yet, I tend to focus on UC series, but that writeup on the Graze captured exactly the sentiment I was looking for - the little things, the attention to detail, the evolution of mobile suits in response to perceived needs, etc. Thanks for these links, I can't wait to waste my life making effortposts about the brilliance of the offset Zaku cockpit.

The one thing I still spend lots of time thinking about is pilot controls. The first episode of Gundam Unicorn had that awesome scene with the pilot rapidly tapping buttons on the joystick to cycle through the weaponry, but I'm still fuzzy as to how mobile suits achieve full human articulation with merely pedals and joysticks (assuming of course no psycho-frame or whatever)

Generally what goes on there is that Gundams don't have fine motor control. The specific movements you see are based off pre-programmed data. One of the early points in Gundam is the learning computer which recorded combat info and adapted the Gundam to Amuro, adjusting the movements to compensate for what it learned off his data. Later GMs used copies of Amuro's combat data.

Effectively Gundams are like fighting game characters. They're doing large sweeping but pre-programmed movements and the aces are able to exploit mechanics enough to do things you normally can't.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Generally what goes on there is that Gundams don't have fine motor control. The specific movements you see are based off pre-programmed data. One of the early points in Gundam is the learning computer which recorded combat info and adapted the Gundam to Amuro, adjusting the movements to compensate for what it learned off his data. Later GMs used copies of Amuro's combat data.

Effectively Gundams are like fighting game characters. They're doing large sweeping but pre-programmed movements and the aces are able to exploit mechanics enough to do things you normally can't.

In other words, Gundam Versus will be the most realistic piloting simulator to date.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

It's basically a lot like the fly-by-wire systems in a modern jet-fighter, where the pilot inputs an action and the onboard computers interprets it. It's just a lot more advanced because you're dealing with limb and hand movement as well, so a lot of the pilot commands are fairly abstract and the movements carried out are more granular (i.e. picking up a weapon). I think F-91 had a small scene where Seabook is first sortieing and they tell him to just let the suit handle picking up the rifle or something to that effect.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I am gonna get PS4 in part so I can play Gundam Vs (and binge watch nature docs on netflix). I am down for wrecking poo poo in Barbatos.

Speaking of IBO, I am going to binge the 2nd season this week and hope it doesn't turn into 00 season 2: round 2.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It has issues but IBO S2 at least resolves the story S1 set up.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I am gonna get PS4 in part so I can play Gundam Vs (and binge watch nature docs on netflix). I am down for wrecking poo poo in Barbatos.

Speaking of IBO, I am going to binge the 2nd season this week and hope it doesn't turn into 00 season 2: round 2.

I feel very similarly about them. In a way I dislike IBO s2 more, but that's probably partially because it's fresher in my memory and it was something i was looking forward to, whereas i watched all of 00 after it had finished airing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Raxivace posted:

It has issues but IBO S2 at least resolves the story S1 set up.

Are you implying that isn't true of Gundam 00? Gundam 00 season 1 resolves most of it's own story but season 2 resolves all that's left bar the 'dialogues', which the movie resolved. Season 2 has problems, but failure to resolve story isn't one of them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

It makes some controversial decisions, but if you can accept the story it's trying to tell, IBO S2 is a pretty neat ride. Definitely the best sequel to an AU series that Gundam has ever had. In particular, if you picked up any vague parallels with the birth of Imperial Japan in the first season - yeah, keep that in mind.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I really liked IBO season 1 because I really liked the tone, plus it had Kudelia and I am a huge sucker for Gundam peace princesses. I think my biggest complaint over all is about that it got saggy in the middle but IBO has a darker tone to it and I really dig it. Definitely picked up on Imperialist indertones and I am good with controversy.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is worth a watch. It does a decent job in terms of storytelling but also of backstory in regards to why the world of IBO became the way it is.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

IBO Season 2 is really solid, it's just a bit weaker then Season 1 due to pacing problems. It's not even remotely close to how loving atrocious 00 Season 2 is.

Jerome Scuggs
Feb 13, 2007
Rolodex Propaganda

ImpAtom posted:

This actually makes a fuckload of sense when I look back to Thunderbolt & how members of the living dead division were having a lot of trouble operating even simple Zaku I's with prosthetics. It's more than a lack of finesse, it's just straight up an inability to nail those combo attacks... lol/holy poo poo

I guess this also explains why Daryl Lorenz's psyco zaku was such a big deal, it seemed a little anachronistic for someone to be doing research into controlling an MS by that point - does Lorenz have the ability to control his MS to a finer degree than an average pilot? When he moves, is he simply doing "mental button press combos" or is the MS moving as if it was him moving?

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I think the psycho zaku operated like an extension of his own body.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

tsob posted:

Are you implying that isn't true of Gundam 00?
No, I didn't mean to imply that. It's a more a reference to the initial complaints about how season 1 ended when it first aired.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jerome Scuggs posted:

This actually makes a fuckload of sense when I look back to Thunderbolt & how members of the living dead division were having a lot of trouble operating even simple Zaku I's with prosthetics. It's more than a lack of finesse, it's just straight up an inability to nail those combo attacks... lol/holy poo poo

I guess this also explains why Daryl Lorenz's psyco zaku was such a big deal, it seemed a little anachronistic for someone to be doing research into controlling an MS by that point - does Lorenz have the ability to control his MS to a finer degree than an average pilot? When he moves, is he simply doing "mental button press combos" or is the MS moving as if it was him moving?

It's literally an extension of his body, turning his arms and legs into control ports for the suit. Like the Alaya-Vijnana System from IBO, but cruder and more dependent on psychic powers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Now I'm just wondering who Gundam characters would main in Street Fighter.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Darth Walrus posted:

It's literally an extension of his body, turning his arms and legs into control ports for the suit. Like the Alaya-Vijnana System from IBO, but cruder and more dependent on psychic powers.

Was the Reuse-P device actually dependent on psycommu? I know it "psycho" in the name, but I was under the impression they were pretty much just hooking the suit up to the pilot's nervous system and that's why they were ruminating about how it could turn pretty much any dumb grunt pilot into a super soldier(for the low, low price of quadruple amputation).

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

Was the Reuse-P device actually dependent on psycommu? I know it "psycho" in the name, but I was under the impression they were pretty much just hooking the suit up to the pilot's nervous system and that's why they were ruminating about how it could turn pretty much any dumb grunt pilot into a super soldier(for the low, low price of quadruple amputation).

Yeah there was no mention of any kind of newtype stuff at all in thunderbolt, unless you count the regular psycho-zaku and zeong showing up in cameos.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

As far as I'm aware, the Psycho Zaku isn't a Psyco(mmu) Zaku, just similar naming schemes.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Kanos posted:

Reuse-P does not use psycommu, no. The whole deal was that they were trying to create a system that could replicate the finer control a psycommu system gives a newtype over their machine but for oldtypes; the catch is you have to saw off both your arms and legs for it to work.

Droyer posted:

Yeah there was no mention of any kind of newtype stuff at all in thunderbolt, unless you count the regular psycho-zaku and zeong showing up in cameos.

There's one dude in Daryl's remnant Acguy squad who gets the newtype flash in the latest episode, but other than that Thunderbolt is p. much all oldtypes.

Jerome Scuggs
Feb 13, 2007
Rolodex Propaganda

Kanos posted:

Can't believe for all the Zeon inventiveness and love of prototypes, their amputees get glorified peg legs and trash-picker-upper-arms. Haven't any of them seen Evil Dead?

Somewhere in the remnants of Zeon, there has to be a martial arts master who also tragically lost a limb or two in the war(s), they need to plug his rear end into a reuse p zaku (called it a psyco zaku earlier, my bad) ASAP

In the worst timeline, the zabis catch and torture char by cruelly amputating all his limbs, he gets a REUSE-P(SYCO) megazaku, and systematically kills all of humanity after going insane with vengeance

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

3 posted:

Reuse-P does not use psycommu, no. The whole deal was that they were trying to create a system that could replicate the finer control a psycommu system gives a newtype over their machine but for oldtypes; the catch is you have to saw off both your arms and legs for it to work.

There's one dude in Daryl's remnant Acguy squad who gets the newtype flash in the latest episode, but other than that Thunderbolt is p. much all oldtypes.

ah, i haven't seen the latest ep yet

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Jerome Scuggs posted:

Can't believe for all the Zeon inventiveness and love of prototypes, their amputees get glorified peg legs and trash-picker-upper-arms. Haven't any of them seen Evil Dead?

Somewhere in the remnants of Zeon, there has to be a martial arts master who also tragically lost a limb or two in the war(s), they need to plug his rear end into a reuse p zaku (called it a psyco zaku earlier, my bad) ASAP

In the worst timeline, the zabis catch and torture char by cruelly amputating all his limbs, he gets a REUSE-P(SYCO) megazaku, and systematically kills all of humanity after going insane with vengeance

The amputees in Thunderbolt get garbage peg leg prosthetics because they're considered trash cannon fodder that are being used as human guinea pigs and suicide soldiers. They're not called the Living Dead for nothing.

That's why Karla is so torn to pieces, because her expertise is in developing new prosthetics technology to help amputees but she's being blackmailed into using that knowledge to build weapons and shove the disabled in them because Zeon is comically evil beyond all possible measure.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The psyco system is basically a physical rather than mental link meant for oldtypes. Weaponizing the next step in human evolution or weaponizing war amputees as expendable super soldiers. Not sure which is more cynical.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Now I'm just wondering who Gundam characters would main in Street Fighter.

amuro is roomhost with jp internet so everyone but him suffers ungodly lag also he only picks broken characters with infinites

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

amuro is roomhost with jp internet so everyone but him suffers ungodly lag also he only picks broken characters with infinites

Domon somehow wins anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

Domon somehow wins anyway.

He's facing the Devil, he can't win without Rain helping him two v one it.