Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I hope the series just ends with Nora going in to the microwave machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Lord Krangdar posted:

Those are the plot reasons, but on an earlier page people were asking about the show-runners' motivations.

I just thought it was interesting that it was one characters decision that led everyone there.

I don't really get why people care about creators intentions or motivations. After something is complete their input and opinions are worthless. Not aiming this at you. Just in general.

Niwrad posted:

The weird cavewoman scene was done to gently caress with Andy Greenwald. The Matt episode from this season was written for a reviewer who said nice things about the show last season. All the Kevin dick jokes came from a joke online about Theroux in his sweatpants.

It's not a big deal since some of those things work out well. But he's admitted to caring a lot about what reviewers say and I think throws stuff into the show to cater to them. The French submarine scene is an example of that. Don't think it added anything to the plot except to be a quirky thing reviewers can fawn over.

Every scene you describe is good and fits with the show. I don't read reviews(other than goon posting) of anything so I guess that's why I don't get this line of criticism.

UmOk fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 2, 2017

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

UmOk posted:

I hope the series just ends with Nora going in to the microwave machine.
There's already been a scene that takes place after that would happen though!

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

UmOk posted:

I don't really get why people care about creators intentions or motivations. After something is complete their input and opinions are worthless. Not aiming this at you. Just in general.

Normally I'd agree, not sure why this specific show makes me more interested in the intentions behind it than usual.

As for the people in this thread criticizing the show, seems that focus is just the result of Lindelof being reduced from a person to a meme. Now its almost like there's a need to pre-emptively hate the finale of this show to prove that he didn't trick us into liking it, or something.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

UmOk posted:

Every scene you describe is good and fits with the show. I don't read reviews(other than goon posting) of anything so I guess that's why I don't get this line of criticism.

The 10-minute cavewoman scene was bad.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Niwrad posted:

The 10-minute cavewoman scene was bad.

Why? That's one of my favorite parts.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
The scene with Eve and the Serpent? And after is a season where Evie is tempted by Meg and cast out of the Jarden of Eden.

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015

theflyingexecutive posted:

The first time they played Where Is My Mind, it went across three different scenes with Kevin and it ended up being played out of his car stereo in the third, which implies that he was listening to it on his headphones all day on loop. It's Diagetic Music 101 and slips like that are just embarrassing.

Imagine being so boring that you get mad about this. Either it's impressionistic editing or this weird hosed up character was listening to a song on loop all day. Either option seems pretty par for the course on this show.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

After reading the last few posts of criticism, I thought I should say that I just watched the entire show, up to the last episode that aired, over the past two weeks, and really love it. This show feels incredibly relevant for how the last two years or so of real life have played out, to the extent that I'm glad I watched it just now, after the election, rather than before. I don't really understand why Laurie decided to kill herself when she did though. Anyone have any idea?

broken sm57 posted:

Imagine being so boring that you get mad about this. Either it's impressionistic editing or this weird hosed up character was listening to a song on loop all day. Either option seems pretty par for the course on this show.

Also it's a great song so who gives a gently caress?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I keep seeing it getting mentioned, is American Crime any good?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Nichael posted:

I don't really understand why Laurie decided to kill herself when she did though. Anyone have any idea?

Both times it was because she felt too broken to keep trying to help the broken people around her.

From her perspective everyone around her had gotten caught up in shared delusions, and they had already killed one man and were planning on killing Kevin over them. Also she apparently helped lead Nora to her death over a false hope, too. At first she fell back on her usual shtick: manipulating people and lying to them in order to hopefully help steer them onto a healthier path. Like with her and Tommy's placebo hugging cult, or her fake palm-reading business, or her trying to help Kevin deal with his delusions by getting that Muslim woman to pretend to be Evie. But when she spoke to her husband John outside Grace's house he inadvertently revealed that their whole relationship was based on a lie; she thought their love and their palm-reading thing had helped him move past Evie's death, but the whole time he still believed she was alive. And now, worse, he believed Kevin should die to give Evie a message in the afterlife.

Later at dinner Kevin Sr. called her out for not actually believing in what they were doing (by relating the story of how she acted when he first started hearing voices), but the problem was she no longer believed in her own alternate agenda either. So when Kevin came back, ready to die, she asked him if he was scared and he said no. She said she wasn't either, and at that point she had decided to die too. I think she realized that, though she still didn't believe it, maybe Kevin was right and there was an afterlife for her. Or the world was ending regardless. Or they were wrong and they were about to drown Kevin over their shared delusions, and she couldn't do anything about it. "They're all gone". "Stop wasting your breath".

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Lord Krangdar posted:

That, along with Dean and the guy yelling in the airport, showed that people around the world were starting to believe the apocalypse was imminent. It wasn't just the core characters.

Speaking of Dean, I was honestly surprised there was no real check in on Tommy or people getting restless in Jarden (Jardin?) after the second episode. They made a big deal about stepping up the police force leading up to the departure, the protesters 'poisoning' the lake, Pillar Man 'departing' etc. And Tommy had to shoot Dean in the head to save Kevin and was immediately like 'I don't need to talk to anybody about it'. For a guy that used to run around with Holy Wayne and has a psych for a mom, it seems like an odd stance to take.

I'm wondering if A) Chris Zylka was just unavailable for more B) shorter season C) that sort of thing not important to the bigger picture of this season

I do kind of think it would have been an interesting thing to have a sort of 'meanwhile, back home' ep, even if it could have split the roll of things. Still hoping for maybe a little peek back at the finale.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lord Krangdar posted:

Both times it was because she felt too broken to keep trying to help the broken people around her.

From her perspective everyone around her had gotten caught up in shared delusions, and they had already killed one man and were planning on killing Kevin over them. Also she apparently helped lead Nora to her death over a false hope, too. At first she fell back on her usual shtick: manipulating people and lying to them in order to hopefully help steer them onto a healthier path. Like with her and Tommy's placebo hugging cult, or her fake palm-reading business, or her trying to help Kevin deal with his delusions by getting that Muslim woman to pretend to be Evie. But when she spoke to her husband John outside Grace's house he inadvertently revealed that their whole relationship was based on a lie; she thought their love and their palm-reading thing had helped him move past Evie's death, but the whole time he still believed she was alive. And now, worse, he believed Kevin should die to give Evie a message in the afterlife.

Later at dinner Kevin Sr. called her out for not actually believing in what they were doing (by relating the story of how she acted when he first started hearing voices), but the problem was she no longer believed in her own alternate agenda either. So when Kevin came back, ready to die, she asked him if he was scared and he said no. She said she wasn't either, and at that point she had decided to die too. I think she realized that, though she still didn't believe it, maybe Kevin was right and there was an afterlife for her. Or the world was ending regardless. Or they were wrong and they were about to drown Kevin over their shared delusions, and she couldn't do anything about it. "They're all gone". "Stop wasting your breath".

Maybe I read too much into the scene but I thought when Nora talked about going to the baseball game and the usher crushing the ball played a role too. Nora giving the "Why would anyone want to do that job?". Laurie was the usher. Trying to prevent "chaos" from happening but ultimately just making everyone feel like poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgieh9RYBj4

Laurie kills herself because she's incredibly depressed. Her life was being a therapist but instead of being able to help her patients, she was just making them feel shittier.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lord Krangdar posted:

Yeah, I pretty much thinks this as well. I think the way they open the episode was important too, to suggest that she'd been flirting with depression and suicide for years. She pulled out of her downward spiral the first time for her daughter, but her phone call at the end of the episode just emphasises to her how happy they are and how much they don't need her.

A big part of suicide is convincing yourself that everyone would be happier if you were gone -- or, at least, would be largely unaffected after a period of grief. I think you can see her quietly ticking those boxes off throughout the episode, and I suspect that no one's going to notice her absence in the next few episodes, partly to preserve the ambiguity, but I think also because she's (only) partly right.

Also, in a knock against the idea that Kevin's powers are anything other than electrical spasms in a starving brain, Laurie hasn't shown up there yet. It's conceivable that Kevin's been told about Sunday and other Kevin, and incorporated them into his mindscape thanks to that, but you'd think if he actually had this power he'd definitely connect with Laurie over the dogman.

(Also, I said "ambiguity" when referring to Laurie's death, but I don't really believe that -- I'm just being generous to those that, you know, do. She even takes a packet of cigarettes off of Nora at the end; that's a return to the GR and a return to suicide. I honestly think that's pretty clear.)

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jun 2, 2017

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Niwrad posted:

Maybe I read too much into the scene but I thought when Nora talked about going to the baseball game and the usher crushing the ball played a role too. Nora giving the "Why would anyone want to do that job?". Laurie was the usher. Trying to prevent "chaos" from happening but ultimately just making everyone feel like poo poo.

But it's Nora who does that. Her entire post departure life and career with Office of DepartureWhatevers is about being that usher. The person who ruins it for everyone, who ruins the fun, deflates the ball, shows the body of the man in the tower, points out that it's just a machine that microwaves you for 20k.

The unsaid statement is that she would like, just this once, to hit the beachball instead.

Laurie's response was one of affirmation. It's important that someone be the spoilsport. It keeps the game going.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Lord Krangdar posted:

That's not wrong on the whole, but to get back to the quest of why she did it when she did, one answer is that she just got a way to commit suicide while making it look like an accident from Nora. She probably hasn't been super far from suicide for a while, but as the first attempt in that episode showed, she didn't want to do it in a way (with a note even) that looked like a suicide.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Onomarchus posted:

That's not wrong on the whole, but to get back to the quest of why she did it when she did, one answer is that she just got a way to commit suicide while making it look like an accident from Nora. She probably hasn't been super far from suicide for a while, but as the first attempt in that episode showed, she didn't want to do it in a way (with a note even) that looked like a suicide.

She got the scuba-diving suicide idea from Nora, but if Nora had used that to kill herself back when she first started dating Kevin in season one it really would have seemed like an accident. For Laurie that plan wouldn't actually work, because Jill and Tommy would eventually find out their grandfather killed their father in Australia and then that same day their Mom, who they had just spoken too, was actually secretly in Australia too having a freak scuba-diving accident. That would be the total opposite of how Nora meant it, to be a quiet and non-suspicious way to go.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Raxivace posted:

So why then it was undermined when the writers had Mary come out of her coma for good and announce that she totally remembers consenting that night with Matt is something I've never heard a particularly convincing argument for, especially considering how her character and their child was written away anyways in season 3. It just feels like a very bathetic way to handle a storyline that really seemed ripe for drama and is even relevant to a lot of real world debates going on today in regards to how victimized women are treated in society.
Isn't it equally possible that Mary forgave Matt for being sad and desperate because he's her husband and loves him and doesn't want him put in prison, so she went along with his story? Given the amount of mystical bullshit the characters in this show are prone to believe, maybe she didn't remember but still bought his story, or she didn't know but forgave him, or was never angry about it in the first place. It can still be as ambiguous as you want.

Fast Luck posted:

There's already been a scene that takes place after that would happen though!
If you mean the carrier pigeon scene, for all we know it takes place wherever the departed went.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Sure but you can't just end the show when Nora gets in the microwave thing because then that pigeon scene is gibberish.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What do you guys think the difference between the two Kevins were? I think it was season 2 Kevin vs season 3 Kevin. The journey vs the destination. If all the best experiences are about the journey and not the destination, what do you do when you finally get what you were looking for? What if it's unfulfilling and you want out? What are you suppose to do? Why is it unfulfilling? What does he get from his quest to expunge his imaginary friend that he doesn't get from being with his family and the ones he loves? I was wondering what season 3 would be about since everything seemed to have gotten resolved in the season 2 finale.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
One had a beard and the other one did it.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

clown shoes posted:

One had a beard and the other one did it.
Interesting... the episode opened with Nora implying she wanted Kevin to grow a beard.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

http://www.watchingtheleftovers.com/blog/coming-up-on-the-series-finale-of-the-leftovers

Beware, don't click for anyone who wants to go in totally and completely fresh. That being said, it's only three lines.

THAT being said... :stare:

Anyone else find that absolutely haunting?

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Totally thought episode 7 was the end. Thankfully this thread is here to show me otherwise!

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Ausmund posted:

What do you guys think the difference between the two Kevins were?

I didn't take it that way. Like it wasn't his past vs his present self, or two personalities dueling. Kevin was filling both roles in the scenario, and when he came into contact with himself by the end he was metaphorically confronting himself, not some other version of him.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

http://www.watchingtheleftovers.com/blog/coming-up-on-the-series-finale-of-the-leftovers

Beware, don't click for anyone who wants to go in totally and completely fresh. That being said, it's only three lines.

THAT being said... :stare:

Anyone else find that absolutely haunting?

oh poo poo

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I think it's a representation of the paths he could have taken in being responsible for others in response to the departure and his father's issues. Like he could have metaphorically been an amoral loner killing for profit or a noble person in charge of keeping everyone safe. He's done both in the series by now, so I guess they converge at the end into "real" Kevin. You could read it as mocking a lot of movies and shows with Manichaean dichotomies in the vein of Decker.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

What a James Bond style assassin and a GR sponsored president have in common is they both reject family.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We're so close.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Lord Krangdar posted:

What a James Bond style assassin and a GR sponsored president have in common is they both reject family.

You could argue that GR is the end all be all expression of dedication to family

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Vincent

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Anyone having any luck pulling this up on HBO Go?

e: Nevermind, I'm dumb. Show doesn't air for another 40 minutes, my TV calendar was set on the wrong time zone.

Klungar fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 5, 2017

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Hakkesshu posted:

well thanks everyone for ruining this thread just before the finale

To be fair, it was never good.

Does anyone have the Garvey phone smash gif?

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
Well ten minutes till a good soul crushing :dance: I'm betting it will be season 2s opening, in which case I'm thinking we won't ever find out what exactly the departure was. Which is okay by me I think

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Pokemaster #421 posted:

Well ten minutes till a good soul crushing :dance: I'm betting it will be season 2s opening, in which case I'm thinking we won't ever find out what exactly the departure was. Which is okay by me I think

I'm hoping for season 1 opening again, I miss those visuals.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I am in no way prepared for this. See you on the other side ladies and germs!

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

YES the mystery song!

And 1 hr 17 m runtime :dance:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Borrowing a friend's HBO login to watch this live.

I better be in tears.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
Aawwww yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nora is only 6 years older than me?

gently caress I'm old.

• Locked thread