Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm beginning to think everyone's computers are different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How is breaking throws in this game different than other Tekkens?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Tekken is fun and I'm proud to say I am real bad at it.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Why can't you select your training dummy in warm-up mode? If I play against the robot girl and they keep doing wakeup super when down on health, the first thing I want to learn after the match is what the appropriate punish is. It just gives you a random character every time. Why is it 2 matches max? Pretty glaring errors considering this game has been cooking for years.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

fadam posted:

How is breaking throws in this game different than other Tekkens?

before, you had to break left hand throws (1+3) with 1 and right hand throws (2+4) with 2. Now you can break them with 1 OR 2, both work. However, if its a command throw, you have to guess the correct hand still.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Game is fantastic and I'm ridiculously bad at it. Character guides I need you :negative:

Also since I bought this for the fashion I gotta say I'm honestly disappointed in the customization. This is what, 1/10th of what's in TTT2? Less? Please tell me that I'm just dumb and all the stuff you can unlock is hidden or something. Seriously though, the hair customization in particular is dire and all the characters just have the same handful of t-shirts and pants :arghfist::(

AndyElusive posted:

I'm beginning to think everyone's computers are different.

I can confirm this. Trust me, I'm an authority.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Just played some matches on opposite coasts, at 3 bars, and it felt pretty decent. The load times are annoying though. Slightly worse than sfv because rematch still takes forever. Since it's day 0 ill give them the benefit of the doubt on improving soon.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

boxcarhobo posted:

before, you had to break left hand throws (1+3) with 1 and right hand throws (2+4) with 2. Now you can break them with 1 OR 2, both work. However, if its a command throw, you have to guess the correct hand still.

I thought with command throws the break needs to be 1+2? Or am I wrong. Most command throws seem not to come from either side but with both hands at once.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Booyah- posted:

I thought with command throws the break needs to be 1+2? Or am I wrong. Most command throws seem not to come from either side but with both hands at once.

or yeah, thats it. I think. I haven't tested that part yet, but I know for command throws its different and now instead of having to be quick enough to read the throws or just guess like us scrubs usually do for every throw, its just command vs regular i think.

sorry I'm drunk

e: actually reading more, I'm not sure. I think command throws can still come from the left or right, and you have to read those properly?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tekken/comments/323cfc/tekken_7_new_school_throw_breaking/

boxcarhobo fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 2, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Anyone have an Alissa guide?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Man this game feels loving good. I'm going to learn Kazuko, eventually, probably.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Thanks to OP, I think I can grasp where to start in this game. It doesn't sound 100% necessary to memorize all 188 of King's moves right away.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's a lot of poo poo I wish was better about this game. But if you want to play Tekken with 1-2 friends, there's no better option.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Night Blade posted:

Thanks to OP, I think I can grasp where to start in this game. It doesn't sound 100% necessary to memorize all 188 of King's moves right away.

there's definitely about 15-20 moves you should focus on hitting with at first, and then work on defense/movement as well. That list of the top 15 moves or w/e for each char is a great starting point. I'm legit surprised there isn't any tutorial or anything like that for this one, the tag2 tutorial was not bad and I just assumed they'd build on it. It's not great expecting people new to the genre or even just new to tekken specifically to know where to go and where to find this stuff, but just feel good that being a goon gives you that slight advantage in having a cool rear end dude like Brosnan put it together in the OP for us.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

For all the crap I was giving this game...it's so good when you're playing. Like there's annoying crap I'll probably have to learn externally but I don't even care. It's extremely satisfying and slick and sexy to just counterhit someone into a wallbounce and gently caress them up.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Won my first online match, lost all the rest. Game seems good but I suck lol.

But yeah it's weird that there's no tutorial mode other than looking at move lists. It also sucks that you can't look at your move lists while waiting for an online match since pausing just brings you to the cancel waiting prompt.

And yeah load times on a non-SSD are kinda bad.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I keep getting "Connection to opponent has been lost" every time I try to find a player match.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.

fadam posted:

I keep getting "Connection to opponent has been lost" every time I try to find a player match.

Same. It's great once I get a match, but it does not want to play.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Alright so how's the PC version

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Wait, if I get the digital version is it too late to get the titty vampire?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of the titty vampire, what's with her ridiculous move inputs

forward down qcf back forward halfcircle gently caress

man nurse posted:

Alright so how's the PC version
it performs surprisingly well, I've been monitoring it and it's a rock steady 60 fps in fights. Looks gorgeous too.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dumb question: I was reading the Bob guide and got to this part:

1 d+4- A jab into a -12f low. This move works in conjunction with 2,1 for a poking mixup. While one starts with a left jab and the other starts with a right jab, it’s hard to recognize in the heat of the match, especially if you mix in more moves too, and stuff like 1->d/f+1.

I don't understand what the mixup is? Does it have to do with them trying to side step it or something?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

fadam posted:

Anyone have an Alissa guide?

No, but as someone who's never played Tekken I think I'm gonna try to learn her also because no one told me she had chainsaw arms and that's a real selling point.

Lingo question: I'm reading some stuff about moves and they're talking about tracking/homing moves. I've gathered that homing moves mean that they can't be sidestepped, but what about tracking? Some of the things I'm reading talk about right or left tracking, so I"m assuming that just means it can't be sidestepped to a certain direction, but other things are just described as "this move has good tracking". Is the direction it tracks implicit or does that mean something else entirely?

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
I just finished playing in ranked on PS4. Having bound gone makes the fights so much better

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Oh my god the first story prompted button press in this game is so so dumb

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

This is the first fighting game in a long time where I actually feel like I'm robbing the developer. There's just so much to do!

Also I'm complete dogshit at the game but I have a pretty good fashion sense so I'm looking forward to seeing what I can create.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I bought T7 off Gamersgate (for quite cheap) and still got Eliza, it looks like?

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
I haven't run across a single Akuma yet. Thought that would be all I would see online.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ROFL Octopus posted:

This is the first fighting game in a long time where I actually feel like I'm robbing the developer. There's just so much to do!

Also I'm complete dogshit at the game but I have a pretty good fashion sense so I'm looking forward to seeing what I can create.

Truth be told, looking from the outside in the single player stuff seems kinda anemic, particularly if you compare it to Injustice 2.

That said I got the game anyway. I have been yearning for it for the past couple of weeks and I haven't played Tekken since 5.

EDIT: Also, forums poster Gavok made a ranking list of all the Tekken characters up to 6. I always liked his stuff, so take a look and argue amongst yourselves if it is right or not.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/games/tekken/265358/tekken-ranking-all-the-characters

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 2, 2017

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
My wrists are in agony because I am old

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
And PSN is making GBS threads itself on my download. Great.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Goddamn I cannot get in an online match for the life of me. Hopefully its less hosed up tomorrow.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

There's no boxing kangaroos in this game so I improvised

e: This game rules

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Unlucky7 posted:

Truth be told, looking from the outside in the single player stuff seems kinda anemic, particularly if you compare it to Injustice 2.

That said I got the game anyway. I have been yearning for it for the past couple of weeks and I haven't played Tekken since 5.

EDIT: Also, forums poster Gavok made a ranking list of all the Tekken characters up to 6. I always liked his stuff, so take a look and argue amongst yourselves if it is right or not.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/games/tekken/265358/tekken-ranking-all-the-characters

I'm an easily-satisfied man. Show Akuma throwing a fireball while jumping backwards and it'll blow my mind.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
The dpad for the PS4 is so terrible dropping moves and hurts the thumb after a while.

Also rename the thread to the connection to the opponent is lost.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

I'm an easily-satisfied man. Show Akuma throwing a fireball while jumping backwards and it'll blow my mind.

It's sad that Akuma in this game is the closest we've gotten to a good street fighter game in a long time.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So are all the character side chapters just one fight and a cutscene?

Oh, all these main story chapters are only one fight and a cutscene too, aren't they? Definitely doesn't look like it will be as involved as an NRS single player mode or even older Namco stuff...

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 2, 2017

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
Maybe I'm weird but I'm more glad the game mechanics and netcode are good than I am that they included anything more advanced than a standard arcade SP mode.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

fadam posted:

Dumb question: I was reading the Bob guide and got to this part:

1 d+4- A jab into a -12f low. This move works in conjunction with 2,1 for a poking mixup. While one starts with a left jab and the other starts with a right jab, it’s hard to recognize in the heat of the match, especially if you mix in more moves too, and stuff like 1->d/f+1.

I don't understand what the mixup is? Does it have to do with them trying to side step it or something?

Does 2,1 end with a mid? If so, that's a mixup. If not then IDK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ROFL Octopus posted:

Ain't nothing wrong with that :)

Farting around in practice, currently. Playing as Law again feels like seeing and old friend. An old friend with flip kicks for days.

Also, holy poo poo, Bob is kinda awesome?